Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PeteP
What the peck?

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby PeteP » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Seconded. Hmm somehow I have a hard time remembering those shows partly because I know more mangas than animes of that point but also because shows that aren't a bit wacky or have a dramatic plot just aren't as memorable even if I like them.

Anyway… Honey and Clover? Though it's a bit after high school I guess. The daily lives of high school boys? Though I guess that's best when someone has seen enough of the genre it parodies. Shadow star Nar… Okay wrong genre.
Eh I don't know but Azumanga or Ouran should fit well enough.

Edit:Saw the first 3 Kyousougiga episodes. Love it, it's energetic and fun. Also I identified a Seiyu, I'm not sure whether that is a first for me. Hmm no it isn't. I can recognize the one from baka to test and I dislike his voice. Also I have no idea what here name is but that goes for all Seiyu. However I do know she was Kagura in Gintama. Which is not very hard since I saw oven 100 gintama episodes and her voice is distinctive.

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Well, I might as well toss some suggestions into the mix while we're still on the subject of slice of life shows.

Azumanga Daioh: An obvious suggestion. Well known and well received. It also pretty much started the whole so-called "cute girls doing cute things" subgenre years before it actually became a thing. It's hard not to recommend.

K-On!: This one doesn't just fall squarely into the previous mentioned subgenre, it practically defined it. This one was absurdly popular.

Lucky Star: Another well known series. I haven't seen much of it myself, but it seems to have a certain eccentricity to it.

There are plenty of others that fill in the subgenre, such as A Channel (was alright I guess), Hidamari Sketch (never seen it), Sketchbook (also never seen it), and GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class (long title, I liked it though).

..wait, did I just list 3 art related shows in a row?

Daily Lives of High School Boys: Now we're on the complete other end of the spectrum. In many ways though, the series parodies many aspects of slice of life shows, especially those of the "cute girls doing cute things" variety. I'm not sure if you have to have seen a lot of slice of lifes to fully appreciate the show, but it may add to the experience. Either way, this one was really well done and is definitely worth checking out.

Nichijou: Well, it's a slice of life about high school.. kinda. This one is very strange and doesn't always make sense at times because of how loony it all is, but that's what makes it so great.

Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: Speaking of strange, we have this show. As far as I'm concerned, this was the series where Shaft fully developed their surrealistic style that they've gone on to incorporate into every damn show ever since. Unlike some of their later works though, the style worked out pretty well in this one, taking an already strange and rather dark concept and giving it that extra layer of surrealism. Then again, I only saw the first season.

Kill Me Baby: Another strange entry here, this one's more about slapstick style humor. Some loved the humor, others found it terribly annoying, so I'll just leave it up to you to decide.

GJ-bu: Dialing back a bit, we have a series about club life where the characters don't actually do much. It was alright I suppose. I enjoyed it early on, but it kinda waned on me at the end.

Seitokai Yakuindomo: Of course, I wasn't going to end this list without mentioning my personal favorite. To keep this brief, this one is about a high school student council and is pretty much built around the telling of sexual jokes. Probably one of the favorite things about the show is the cast of characters. They're all entertaining in their own way and they all feel distinct enough that none of them feel unwelcome. I cannot wait for the next season.

There are a bunch of others, even more if you look out of the high school setting, but this should do for now.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

I wouldn't classify Azumanga Daioh as solely "cute girls doing cute things" it's a bit more on the comedy side than stuff like K-On. And some of the things they do are more weird than cute.^^
Also if you don't like Lucky Star it will bore you to death. I Liked it though.

Oh and Genshiken could work too, it is about an anime/manga club

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

I was going to consider giving Kill La Kill a go, but apparently when Madman got the rights to stream it locally they didn't store the files in a particularly secure manner, and someone got their hands on a recent episode a day or so before it was screened in Japan, and so they had to pull the whole thing ...

EDIT: For "cute girls doing cute things" Sketchbook is good, but I don't recommend it if you're in the mood for in-your-face comedy. Lucky Star is almost like the Seinfeld of anime if you want something that goes more for random-observation-mixed-with-pop-culture-reference comedy.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

SciJo wrote:Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: [...] Then again, I only saw the first season.

You should remedy that. Also I think SHAFT's style fits Madoka and Monogatari really well. I'm not sure I'd call Sayounara, Zetsubou Sensei a slice of life though. If it is then Cromartie High School and Pani Poni Dash are too.

I'd say Lucky Star sort of crystallized the slice of life genre and K-ON! was refining it. You should also watch all of Lucky Star, it's really good.

For more Slice of Life check out:

Tamako Market: Basically perfect in terms of setup, execution, story, production values, etc. I can't say a single thing bad about it.

Yuyushiki: Slice of Life with lesbian undertones. Unbelievably cute and I love the characters so so much. This is my favourite Slice of Life this year. There is just something unquantifiable about it that makes it amazing.

Hyakko: I watched a few eps of this when it first came out and I loved it but for some reason I didn't keep up with it. Every time I see screenshots from it I want to start watching it again. I can't speak for the series as a whole but it seems awesome.

Sora no Woto: This show is amazing. It is mostly slice of life, but it's slice of life with a purpose, rather than just random things. It also has hints of a plot that is spread throughout all the episodes and reaches a climax in the last ep or two. The storytelling is perfect though, if you watch it pay attention to how they characterize the characters in the first episode even. It definitely has its serious and grim bits, so it isn't all 'healing', which might make it unsuited to some people. But it's one of my favourite shows of all time.

Ichigo Mashimaro: Story about a 20ish tomboyish girl (16 in the manga) who looks after her 12 year old sister. 3 other 11/12 year old primary schoolers hang out with her sister a lot and antics ensue. Not much to say other than it's really cute and a classic.

Ika Musume: Story about a land-naive squid girl who comes to land to subjugate Earth to stop them poluting the sea. Ends up staying with some people on the beach at which point it is mostly slice of life.

Edit: It's funny you mention Seinfeld because everyone refers to it as being so strange and weird and unlike any other show. When describing the show they say "It's just... It's just Seinfeld"... yet Seinfeld is really just a slice of life show and there are many many slice of life Anime. I guess it is really difficult to get a western audience watching live action TV to get into slice of life so that says a lot about Seinfeld but I wouldn't say it's that unique.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:27 am UTC

PeteP wrote:I wouldn't classify Azumanga Daioh as solely "cute girls doing cute things" it's a bit more on the comedy side than stuff like K-On. And some of the things they do are more weird than cute.^^

Don't get me wrong, I'm not classifying Azumanga Daioh as a "cute girls doing cute things" kind of show, I'm just saying it paved the way for those types of shows by proving just how popular the formula can be.

Gelsamel wrote:
SciJo wrote:Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: [...] Then again, I only saw the first season.

You should remedy that. Also I think SHAFT's style fits Madoka and Monogatari really well. I'm not sure I'd call Sayounara, Zetsubou Sensei a slice of life though. If it is then Cromartie High School and Pani Poni Dash are too.

Sure, I agree it works in Madoka, but I feel there are other shows where the style just doesn't fit.

Shaft's style aside, most sources I've seen seem to classify SZS as a slice of life which is why I put it here. Slice of life is a little ambiguous because a lot of shows contain elements of it, so definitely classifying one is a little tricky.

While I'm here, I might as well toss in Working!! as a fun slice of life suggestion. It's about a group of dysfunctional people all working together at a family restaurant. I need to track down season two and watch it myself.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:50 am UTC

SciJo wrote:Sure, I agree it works in Madoka, but I feel there are other shows where the style just doesn't fit.

I donno, they didn't really go crazy with Arakawa so I don't see a problem there, Soredemo* too. What little bits of surreal were in Maria-Holic I thought worked well. I've not seen Natsu no Arashi! so I can't comment on that. I think it works great for Madoka and Bakemonogatari (although those are both different in how they're surreal). Sasami-san@Ganbaranai admittedly had issues but I'm not sure if that was an inherent problem with the style or just the particular implementation they had. I think it could have been as surreal as any other SHAFT piece and not have had the issues it has.

Shaft's style aside, most sources I've seen seem to classify SZS as a slice of life which is why I put it here.

I think this is valid for the first season, kinda? But I don't think you could call anything after that slice of life. I highly recommend watching it because it's awesome as all hell.

*Which reminds me Soredemo Machi wa Mawaitteiru is awesome as all hell and it's slice of life. It's hard to explain without sounding cliche... clumsy derpy main character works part time at a maid cafe with no customers. Hangs out with friends, meets some new ones, slice of life stuff happens all the time. Characters are really good, voice acting is top notch (dat Chiaki voice). I love the character design too, with perhaps the exception of the gonk character.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Watched fifth kill la kill episode. I think without the weird girl whose name I can't remember I might even like it. As long as she wasn't there, there were some good scenes.

Negated

Postby Negated » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

I finally got time to catch up to the first 6 episodes of Log Horizon. It starts slow, with a lot of time spent on explaining the game system. Episode 6 feels like the official end of introduction chapter. There are quite a few things that I can nitpick on, but overall it looks promising so far.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

I really hope Log Horizon picks up a bit more. It's fine they're explaining as they go and stuff, but I'm ready for some action.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:43 am UTC

Samurai flamenco epi 6:
Spoiler:
I didn't expect the show itself to acknowledge the pairing. Though I guess it's obvious that they would be shipped.

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:02 am UTC

Just watched Kill la Kill episode 7. It was alright I suppose, though personally it felt kind of out of place in relation to the previous episode's non climax. I'm also kinda beginning to question the overall pacing of the show after seeing that next episode preview.

On an unrelated note, I enjoy the developments that have cropped up in Yuushibu. Sure it's simple, but I like it.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 am UTC

Menco epi 7: I love how the new ones just start hanging out in his apartment.
Spoiler:
Also for a moment I feared the show would suddenly go a darker boring route. I'm glad that the thing he is bothered by, is that his parents killing doesn't bother him all that much. (Since it should be a good hero backstory.)

And then they changed the whole setting. I didn't expect that. As long as they keep it a bit goofy I'm okay with it. Or maybe next episode they will say it was just a weird commercial.

Also: WTF.

Edit:still watching machine-doll it's okay. But epi 7 reminded me of something that annoys me with many fight oriented shounen: Would it really hurt to do some reconnaissance, collect some information or make an actual plan before running straight for the confrontation. Sometimes it's excused by time constraints, but still...

Kyousougiga epi 6:
Spoiler:
I found it extremly funny how nonchalant that guy was about the whole thing "yeah you are immortal now, come be our son". For the record I don't support making people who want to die immortal against their will. It was funny anyway.

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Episode 8 of Kill la Kill was better than the last one because it actually put events in motion. There are still a number of things I wish they'd expand more upon but considering it looks like the show is continuing through next season I guess we still have plenty of time to address them.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

I think that gagamori (the student discipline guy) is my favorite enemy. It'll be interesting to see how the next episode goes down.
Spoiler:
I kind of hope he isn't gone after the fight, I love his crazy laughter.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

some ranting about anime in general:
Spoiler:
First the tsundere character. Anime has many bland and uninteresting character types, like the standard generally nice but no very complex main lead. But with tsundere characters their very dialogue often gets copied. They repeat variations of the same lines denying that they ar doing something for the MC or have positive feelings toward the MC. And there often is nothing more to them, they are just girls who like the MC, but are emotionally ridiculously insecure. Thy are so fucking boring, why do they have to keep making them.
Well probably because anime are often immature, with simple characters, simple motivations, simple pandering.
I like about animes that they can have all kinds of premises, I often prefer animation over life action and you can do stuff you can't easily do in life action, I like that being one story instead of something episodic is the norm. But damn it many series have stories which seem to be for kids. (Probably because they are, I don't usually read books for teenagers or younger, but I do so with anime. So it's admittedly my own fault.) And there are many things popular in anime I find slightly annoying. The love for the tsundere character for one, connected to that the old "scream pervert->violence" joke (I'm looking at you love hina) but I don't usually watch series relying on that joke. Also look at log horizon, would you expect the "glasses lady" treats ninja as cuddly toy stuff in something non japanese? Because the blatant disregard for someones personal boundaries is irritating. Oh I can easily ignore it, but it's a good example of the small things that I find irritating in some animes.

Also while I'm ranting, machine doll epi 8 (don't ask me why I'm still watching it, it's mediocre): You just talked about attacking the puppetmaster, his puppet is on his other side and still holding another doll down, disengaging will cost a bit of time, though it still has projectiles. Your doll can move fucking fast, so just kill him.
The series has triggered my rant to be honest, the violent jealousy of his doll, the tsundere, how he is all herouc but not all that bright from an outside perspective, the new girl in episode 8... I probably should stop watching this for my own good.

Btw about tsundere, I like some characters other call tsundere, like Rin from fsn. But I mostly use the word for the standard "*stutter*:I'm not doing it for you, baka *blush*" tsundere, because I don't like putting characters I like on their level.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 am UTC

Tsundere with copied dialogue are often just a reference or parody. In other cases, the point of cliche is that the viewers understand it and it's an easy reference point.

In my experience I find that the vast majority of anime doesn't have stories or content suitable to kids. It's really only the standard shounen stuff and things like Doraemon and Shin-chan that are directed at children. I also don't really run into boring characters that much but I guess that is just the series I choose.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Tsundere with copied dialogue are often just a reference or parody. In other cases, the point of cliche is that the viewers understand it and it's an easy reference point.

In my experience I find that the vast majority of anime doesn't have stories or content suitable to kids. It's really only the standard shounen stuff and things like Doraemon and Shin-chan that are directed at children. I also don't really run into boring characters that much but I guess that is just the series I choose.

More teenager than children. Everything is suitable for teenagers, but not everything is aimed at them. But about boring characters. I often call characters that are generic boring. Or those that barely have a character like Mako from kill la kill who is only the resident randomness dispenser (based only on the first 5 episodes. She is there for humour of course, so she isn't boring if one finds her funny. Well the rest of the characters of the show also seemed very … simple, but I have only seen 5 episodes so my judgment might be a bit early. Satsuki might be interesting.)
About generic, I think you have watched Suisei no Gargantia (I still have to watch the last few episodes), the female lead: She is a generic genki girl and I found her very boring. Of course there are standard character types I like more than others, but in general if I can describe someone a genki girl,tsundere, etc. without omitting significant parts of their character then I will consider them a bit boring.

But yes boring characters aren't a big problem, since I drop a series if the characters all bore me. It's mostly something I encounter when going through first episodes.
Except machine dolls where the whole cast sucks, but I have watched 8 episodes leading to my desire to rant.
Last edited by PeteP on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

While they did originally bother me, I've kinda gotten used to the tsundere archetype. There are still some tsundere characters that annoy me, but I found that there are good and bad characters in every archetype, so I try to keep an open mind.

I have heard the whole boring MC complaint before (usually when people are talking about those MCs found in the harem genre) but I haven't really come across one that particularly bothered me.

On another note, I recently finished up a series that had a rather bittersweet ending, so I've started rewatching one of my old "feel good" series to get the bad taste out. It got me thinking of endings though and trying to think of some series with good endings.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:About generic, I think you have watched Suisei no Gargantia (I still have to watch the last few episodes), the female lead: She is a generic genki girl and I found her very boring

You have to think about the context and theming of the story. Suisei no Gargantia isn't a story about her or her friend's character arc... it's about Ledo. The other characters exist solely to allow him to progress through his character arc in a clear, concise, and thorough way. Having all these really amazingly interesting side characters would actually detract from his arc, because you have all this other stuff going on. All the other characters being generic and mostly uninteresting allows for the viewers to focus on the important bit: Ledo. And by using cliches for the major side-characters you can allow the audience to hit the ground running with the story because everyone already understands about those character types.

If you add in a lot of interesting characters, you'd really have to give everyone their own little character arc to satisfy the interest that would be distracting you from any individual character arc.

Edit: In other news, KnK has pretty fight scenes, but the most terrible story with horrible implementation of any anime in recent memory.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Btw about tsundere, I like some characters other call tsundere, like Rin from fsn. But I mostly use the word for the standard "*stutter*:I'm not doing it for you, baka *blush*" tsundere, because I don't like putting characters I like on their level.

I think this is a classic example of original idea -> popular trope -> cliche. Having a character who is emotionally conflicted towards another is certainly a development from a character who just immediately falls in love with the protagonist (see: every harem anime ever). Rin is certainly one of the first popular tsunderes (see: The tvtropes picture for tsundere), when it was still a fresh idea that gave depth to a character. However, it eventually became a stock character type, and instead of adding depth you get a character who is flat and cliched.

I think the stuttering, "baka", tsundere stereotype originates with the characters portrayed by Rie Kugimiya (I'm particularly thinking of Shana from Shakugan no Shana, and Louis from Zero no Tsukaima).

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Derek wrote:
PeteP wrote:Btw about tsundere, I like some characters other call tsundere, like Rin from fsn. But I mostly use the word for the standard "*stutter*:I'm not doing it for you, baka *blush*" tsundere, because I don't like putting characters I like on their level.

I think this is a classic example of original idea -> popular trope -> cliche. Having a character who is emotionally conflicted towards another is certainly a development from a character who just immediately falls in love with the protagonist (see: every harem anime ever). Rin is certainly one of the first popular tsunderes (see: The tvtropes picture for tsundere), when it was still a fresh idea that gave depth to a character. However, it eventually became a stock character type, and instead of adding depth you get a character who is flat and cliched.

I think the stuttering, "baka", tsundere stereotype originates with the characters portrayed by Rie Kugimiya (I'm particularly thinking of Shana from Shakugan no Shana, and Louis from Zero no Tsukaima).

Right, a character with inner conflict is, by my definition, an interesting character--they have something going on. Even if it's cliche, it's still interesting. It's not bland like a lot of characters in western shows or games (which tend to be plot/scenario shows and thus sacrifice interesting character to focus on interesting plot/scenario) who often just simply exist and aren't particularly noteworthy or interesting. Compared to those common characters the tsundere cliche is much more interesting. Perhaps the better word for it is archtype.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Only if there is actually an inner conflict. If it's never explored then it's just unusual behaviour. Can't say much about western shows or games because I mostly read books.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Cineplex, for some reason, is doing a special showing of the Madoka Magica movie:
http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/MovieDet ... 2013-12-09

I have never seen a single episode of this. Do you think the movie alone is worth watching?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:36 am UTC

PeteP wrote:Only if there is actually an inner conflict. If it's never explored then it's just unusual behaviour.

Sure but, the lack of exploration is often due to the fact that the audience understands the conflict due to it being a cliche. A valid criticism might be 'we've all seen this conflict play out before, so why include it?'. I think it all comes down to implementation. You can implement either case well or poorly.

Spoiler:
Can't say much about western shows or games because I mostly read books.

Western stories tend to be more about exploring scenarios, settings, etc. Having really detailed and interesting characters can detract, or at least take 'screen time' from the focus of the story. Thats why games like Skyrim, which are about exploring scenario and setting have very bland characters that the overall story isn't really concerned with at all. It's why your main character is literally a blank slate that doesn't have any personality. Games like Mass Effect might have a very short self contained character arc here and there for side characters (loyalty missions), but who they are is ultimately unimportant to the main plot which is about exploring scenario and setting.

Thats not to say character stories don't exist in western media, they do, and there are lots of them. I just find that scenario/setting stories are more common, especially in video games. In the east, character stories are significantly more common. This is why you have western people complaining about how ridiculous a Japanese video game's story is because X or Y aspects of the setting/overall plot/scenario are bland or cliche, when they're supposed to be cliche so you can focus on the characters. 'Chosen Ones' are bland and cliche, but in Tales of Symphonia it's just a plot point to explore and develop character and thus it doesn't really matter to the overall story itself which is concerned with characters rather than "the series of physical events that happen" or something. I'm using game as an example because I play a lot of western and eastern games and so I can readily compare.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:51 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Cineplex, for some reason, is doing a special showing of the Madoka Magica movie:

I have never seen a single episode of this. Do you think the movie alone is worth watching?

I haven't seen them, but there are actually three movies. The first two are a retelling of the series. You could watch those, or the series itself, beforehand-- it's 13 episodes and IMO it's fantastic. Glancing at the plot synopses (damn my perpetual casual spoiling of myself), I'm guessing it wouldn't make a fuckton of sense without having the series backstory down in some form or another. But I can't say for sure whether or not it could stand alone.

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Cineplex, for some reason, is doing a special showing of the Madoka Magica movie:

It's showing in Pittsburgh too and I'm going with some friends.

Watch the series, it's the best anime to come out in the last ten years. It's only 12 episodes, and each is perfectly crafted to tell the story. The third movie (what you've linked to here) is new content. I'm watching the first two movies right now to see if there is any new content (so far, no). Very few scenes are cut, but even those are missed.

The only caveat is that the series is best viewed if you are already familiar with the tropes of the magical girl genre.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Gee, I thought it was one of those series that went on for dozens upon dozens of episodes. I guess I was getting it confused with, uh, Nanoha (which some people also say is the best thing in years, it seems).

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Gee, I thought it was one of those series that went on for dozens upon dozens of episodes. I guess I was getting it confused with, uh, Nanoha (which some people also say is the best thing in years, it seems).

Nanoha is not exactly a long runner either. Two seasons of 13 episodes plus one season of 26. It's a great series, but it's not on the level of Madoka.

In the case of Nanoha I would recommend watching the movies if you don't have all the time. They do a good job of condensing the first two seasons down to the important elements, and especially in the case of the first movie, greatly improves the pacing by cutting out some unimportant scenes.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

I must say that I love the visual metaphor in Kill la Kill. Anime is such a flexible medium and Trigger really uses it well, doing so much crap you could never do in any other medium.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Derek wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Gee, I thought it was one of those series that went on for dozens upon dozens of episodes. I guess I was getting it confused with, uh, Nanoha (which some people also say is the best thing in years, it seems).

Nanoha is not exactly a long runner either. Two seasons of 13 episodes plus one season of 26. It's a great series, but it's not on the level of Madoka.

In the case of Nanoha I would recommend watching the movies if you don't have all the time. They do a good job of condensing the first two seasons down to the important elements, and especially in the case of the first movie, greatly improves the pacing by cutting out some unimportant scenes.

If you do have the time, though, I'd personally suggest the anime. I like the pacing better, obviously a ymmv thing, and I think it's just better in more bite-sized pieces too-- I've just been watching the first movie, and wow, it's exhausting. I'm not huge on movies to begin with, though, but I still think it's emotionally heavy and plot-twisty enough that it'd be easier and more enjoyable to see the first time in smaller doses. But pick whichever works for you. I'd definitely suggest doing one or the other before trying to watch the third movie, though, unless you like having no idea of the significance of what's going on-- which can actually be fun sometimes but anyway....

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:52 am UTC

I'm not so sure I follow Kill la Kill anymore. I mean, it's still good, but I'm not sure about it's themes anymore.

Also, when the heck did D-Frag! suddenly become an anime? Man, next season is really shaping up.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

For those of you out there who watches dubs... don't watch Nanoha in English. Its a terrible dub. I've seen the first episode dubbed and subbed. Subbed is of significantly higher quality.

Dubbed left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't enjoy Nanoha, even subbed >_<. Maybe I'll get around to watching it, especially because its the "straight" Magical Girl show that Madoka was clearly channeling (before inverting).

Rie Kugimiya's "baka / stuttering" Tsundere is the worst offenders IMO. I don't think I've enjoyed a single Tsundere of hers. She's popular however, and lots of people like her characters... but its not my cup of tea. The general Tsundere trope has been heavily influenced by her performances however, so I blame that seiyuu for that. Not that she's a bad seiyuu: she's done Al from the original FMA, among other good performances. I just don't like her particular interpretation of Tsundere.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Monogatari Series Second is quite awesome. One episode is even a summary of that crappy series we had better pretend did not exist!

Also I just watched gits : arise 2, which was pretty good.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:23 am UTC

Commie must not be doing the recap episodes, because I haven't been seeing them. I have noticed a somewhat irregular update schedule though.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Derek wrote:Commie must not be doing the recap episodes, because I haven't been seeing them. I have noticed a somewhat irregular update schedule though.

There's generally been a recap episode between each story arc, although I'm about 2 arcs behind so I'm not sure if that's continued as such.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:16 am UTC

The third Madoka movie was great. I don't really want to say much more, but you should definitely see it if you've already seen the series or first two movies.

There was surprisingly good attendance too, the theater was mostly full, and I also saw a couple cosplayers. In contrast I remember seeing the first Eva movie at the same theater a few years ago and I don't think there was more than twenty people in the theater that time.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

I've caught up to Log Horizon. Its good, but it is so far removed from previous "Get trapped in a video game" plotlines that most probably have no idea what it offers to the table. In fact, you'll probably like the show the more you hated SAO... its THAT different.There are no deaths in Log Horizon, and there is no villain in Log Horizon. At the moment, I'm getting more of a Maoyu (aka: Demon King and Hero) or Spice and Wolf feel to the anime. Its become less and less about action or fights and more about working together and building a society. The key battles are political, not physical.

Tension is never built up like in Sword Art Online (aka: SAO), but at the same time the issues explored in Log Horizon feel natural instead of contrived. (ie: SAO had "if you die in the game, you die in real life". None of that exists in Log Horizon)

I'm enjoying it, but it isn't anything close to what it looks like on the cover. Log Horizon is a "feel good world building" anime. It starts off as "this world sucks", and its path forward is "lets do something about it". In contrast, the other popular "get trapped in a video game" shows (SAO and .Hack) are instead focused on central villains and heroes who are dispatched to save the world.

------------

Also, Log Horizon's intro song is literally the worst intro song that I still enjoy watching. Anyone else get that feel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AW6WfuWuOg
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:I've caught up to Log Horizon. Its good, but it is so far removed from previous "Get trapped in a video game" plotlines that most probably have no idea what it offers to the table. In fact, you'll probably like the show the more you hated SAO... its THAT different.There are no deaths in Log Horizon, and there is no villain in Log Horizon. At the moment, I'm getting more of a Maoyu (aka: Demon King and Hero) or Spice and Wolf feel to the anime.

It's actually written by the guy who did Maoyuu.

Log Horizon has the Maoyuu/S&W/Horizon vibe where, while there is fighting, the plotline is more concerned with political, economic, etc. shennanigans.

Also, Log Horizon's intro song is literally the worst intro song that I still enjoy watching. Anyone else get that feel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AW6WfuWuOg

Yes, exactly this. For some reason I like it even though it has so many features I hate.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:47 am UTC

I would never describe .hack/sign as save the world, sure there are widespread problems, but most of the time they are just dealing with tsukasas problem on a more personal level. Though I don't know much about the other hack animes.

But yeah log horizon and Sao are quite different.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”