Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:49 am UTC

Unlimited Blade Works is a particular route of the Fate/Stay Night visual novel. The three routes are Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. As far as I know ufotable will be adapting all of them in some form or another.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:15 am UTC

in the vein of "must watch Magical Girl shows" definitely don't miss any of the Lyrical Nanoha shows. StrikerS is the best, and you don't actually need to watch the two seasons before it, but I still recommend going through the seasons in order.
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:40 am UTC

kiniget wrote:in the vein of "must watch Magical Girl shows" definitely don't miss any of the Lyrical Nanoha shows. StrikerS is the best, and you don't actually need to watch the two seasons before it, but I still recommend going through the seasons in order.

kiniget wrote:StrikerS is the best, and you don't actually need to watch the two seasons before it, but I still recommend going through the seasons in order.

kiniget wrote:StrikerS is the best, and you don't actually need

kiniget wrote:StrikerS is the best,

Wat.

I'm a big Nanoha fan and I didn't even finish Strikers. I got about five or six episodes in and I just was not enjoying it at all. The new characters were annoying and the choreography was boring.

A's is the one you have to see, but you definitely want to watch it first. Either watch the first season or watch first movie, which covers the first season but with better quality art and less filler and pacing issues. There's also a movie for A's which is great, but A's is good enough that I recommend watching the series anyways.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 am UTC

Derek wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:
Derek wrote:Stay away from the sequel, Umineko, though.

I would say it's a must read if you're not averse to Visual Novels, though.

I have heard the VN is good. I can't confirm that, but the anime was awful.

To be honest I would say the anime is only really awful in comparison to the VN otherwise it's just not that great.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

If you're gonna watch a Nanoha, be sure to stay away from the English dub. It is absolutely awful. Explicitly watch that one in Japanese / Subtitled.

I am fine with most dubs actually, including Code Geass and even Death Note. But... some dubs are just meant to be ignored.

Gelsamel wrote:
Derek wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:
Derek wrote:Stay away from the sequel, Umineko, though.

I would say it's a must read if you're not averse to Visual Novels, though.

I have heard the VN is good. I can't confirm that, but the anime was awful.

To be honest I would say the anime is only really awful in comparison to the VN otherwise it's just not that great.

The whole "Missing the answers arc" makes the anime bad. If you don't plan on reading the Manga or VNs (so that you can actually understand the mystery), its basically worthless. And if you're gonna be reading the Manga / VNs anyway, why bother with the incomplete anime? As Umineko stands, it is basically a Mystery Novel where someone ripped out the second half of the story. Its not only missing the conclusion or the answers... but all the developments leading up to that point.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Negated

Postby Negated » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Unlimited Blade Works is a particular route of the Fate/Stay Night visual novel. The three routes are Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. As far as I know ufotable will be adapting all of them in some form or another.

ufotable is adapting UBW and Heaven's Feel. The latter will be a film. The older Fate/Stay Night anime made by DEEN largely followed the Fate route with very small bits of UBW mixed in.

The first two UBW episodes look very promising. They follow the VN almost line by line. They clearly have a large budget to spend on making stunning visuals.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

They should have called it unlimited side face

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

Cross Ange has finally started looking like something more than an excuse to heap abuse on it's main character. I mean, I still wouldn't exactly say I like it, but I'm not ready to drop it yet either
now it just needs to develop an actual plot
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:48 am UTC

Derek wrote:I finished Aldnoah.Zero.
Spoiler:
The ending really took me by surprise. I suppose I should have expected it with Urobuchi, but I didn't think they would make it that far just to be shot dead like that. Overall I had some issues with the series, I never really like the Marty Stu main character, and I was very confused about Slaine's motivations towards the end (Who did he think he was fighting? Why?), but after that ending I'm really interested in seeing what they do in the second season.

Ehhhh.... I really didn't like where Aldnoah Zero went. A lot of the plot just wasn't well thought out. Character motivations were completely confusing, some characters were hopelessly hopeless and really it just felt arbitrary from beginning to end. Urobuchi btw only influenced the preliminary drafts of the anime, and didn't feel connected to the main character.

I did not create the characters in Aldnoah. I made the mainframe of the story until the preliminary version. But in fact Inaho’s character is different than what I wrote. I don’t really have a connection with this character, so this is an exception.

Given the WW2 analogue that they're channeling, the 2nd half of the story should be more action packed. But I'm not sure if I'd actually follow this show to its 2nd half. I'm just not feeling it.

In isolation, the ending of Aldnoah.Zero (season 1) is fine. Its that it followed up from such... crappy plot... that I just wasn't taking it serious at that point.

Spoiler:
Princess getting choked out in the shower by traitor-mctraitor face, only for her to be saved an episode later. And... basically everything Slaine ever did is stupid. And actually, everything any character did who was even mildly related to Slaine was also an imbecile. (I'm going to attack Earth because my love died there when we Martians blew up the moon...)

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Spoiler:
Princess getting choked out in the shower by traitor-mctraitor face, only for her to be saved an episode later. And... basically everything Slaine ever did is stupid. And actually, everything any character did who was even mildly related to Slaine was also an imbecile. (I'm going to attack Earth because my love died there when we Martians blew up the moon...)

Oh yeah, that girl was pretty confusing too. I can definitely agree with you there.
Spoiler:
"I'm a Martian sent on a mission to kill the princess, but I was betrayed so I'm going to get my revenge on the Martians by killing the princess."

What? I can understand why she would hate all Martians after that, but I can't understand why she would try to kill the princess.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 am UTC

I don't think you should expect characters going through emotional trauma to not act, y'know, emotional. Logic doesn't just override your feelings.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:27 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I don't think you should expect characters going through emotional trauma to not act, y'know, emotional. Logic doesn't just override your feelings.

It didn't even seem emotional, it just seem random and confused. As far as I can tell, that was the point: To show that they were entirely confused.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

Mmmm, I like that Funimation is finally pushing for faster dub timelines.

Psycho Pass 2 and Laughing Under the Clouds will both be available weekly starting this month dubbed. Not quite simulcast dubs, but closer anyway.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the latter, but excited about Pschyo Pass 2. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh, and I finally finished watching Attack on Titan. That serious really ended and was quite good considering how annoying the first few episodes were.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:53 am UTC

Xeio wrote:EDIT: Oh, and I finally finished watching Attack on Titan. That serious really ended and was quite good considering how annoying the first few episodes were.

I'd suggest rewatching the "training montage" episodes. There are some character interactions that make for a great second watching, especially when you keep in mind the motivations of certain characters.

Spoiler:
In particular, Annie's interaction with a few characters raises some eyebrows

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:17 pm UTC

AFT(Anime Fleeting Thought): If I were an adventurer in Log Horizon and the main penality of dying was memory loss I would probably write everything important about my old life down. You can't write down everything but at least I could check whether I forgot something big.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:28 pm UTC

And yet memories are worth more than just written information.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:01 am UTC

Most people don't know they lose memories when they die.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:43 am UTC

Indeed, and it is a bit shitty from the characters who know that, to not tell others.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:47 am UTC

I'm never one for "anime romance". So the direction of Akatsuki these past few episodes has been... slightly annoying for me. Nonetheless, I'm still pretty happy with Log Horizon 2 overall. This season is interesting because all the big-wigs have to do stuff basically independently of each other.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:47 am UTC

I don't know where you got your information on Akatsuki no Yona; on animefreak.tv they classified it as Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, Shoujo. Romance is to be expected.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:28 pm UTC

Grop wrote:I don't know where you got your information on Akatsuki no Yona; on animefreak.tv they classified it as Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, Shoujo. Romance is to be expected.

Can't tell whether joke or not so: He is talking about the character Akatsuki in Log Horizon.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:11 pm UTC

Alas that wasn't meant as a joke, my brain was apparently afk when I posted. That would have been a good one if his post had been more ambiguous :oops:. (Or maybe that was really a joke, I can't remember. I woke up at 4 am this morning and did other silly things as well).

Then I agree. Also I am annoyed by this male character who keeps telling us about the power of girls.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:28 pm UTC

Akatsuki is just running around all romancy and happy now.

Grop wrote:Then I agree. Also I am annoyed by this male character who keeps telling us about the power of girls.

There's that, although honestly I have less issues with overt messages like that vs the more subtle ones.

Spoiler:
At the end of the day, the challenge to the "Girl Party" was a serious challenge in its own right. Before this point of the show, not a single person has defeated a member of the Royal Guard. The Royal Guard enemy ended up being a Raid boss in his own right. Generally speaking in shows like this, the females end up fighting an enemy "at their own level".

So... 8/10 (above average) from me actually as far as a "Girl Power" arc is concerned. Outside of Soujirou saying that constantly, they actually handled the arc well in the great scheme of things. A lot of animes do a girl power arc and end up screwing it up royally. Shana / Kurokami: can't fight without approval of my man. SAO: Can't fight vs men period. And of course, the Designated Girl Fights in almost every other anime. Not everyone can be Lina Inverse I guess...

Well... also gotta ignore the developing love triangle between Minori, Akatsuki, and Shiroe. :roll: :roll:

So it ain't perfect, but its still better than Sword Art Online. So I'm fine with that. I'm of course slightly annoyed at the minor issues, but its below my pain threshold.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:51 am UTC

More Durarara! soon!

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:More Durarara! soon!

Teenagers scare the hell out of me.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:26 am UTC

There is so much I want to like about Grisaia no Kajitsu but the whole White Knight 'Guy goes around fixing girls' problems and they fall in love with him' bullshit is annoying as hell. I at least hope they'll turn it on it's head towards the end and have the whole series actually turn out to be about 'fixing' the MC instead.

Spoiler:
Also what's with the urination fetish the writers seem to have? Having it in a single excusable circumstance is one thing but it looks like it is going to become a pattern...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:28 am UTC

Anyone watching Your Lie In April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)? It bears a slight resemblance to Nodame Cantabile, although I'm slightly worried how several of the main characters seemed to be lined up for potential bad endings.
Spoiler:
Arima definitely has most of the tragic backstory, but as the protagonist it *looks* like he's destined to finally find himself and get over all his issues. On the other hand, you can pretty much spot the moment when Tsubaki's heart breaks and I think she'll be relegated to the Friend A position soon enough, and Kaori's illness is almost certainly going to be something terrible and chronic.
On the other hand, the pacing has, for the most part, been amazing - I usually hit the commercial break feeling like I've watched a whole episode only to realise it's just half-way - and some of the facial expressions and other comedic notes are, if slightly out of place, enough to keep the whole thing from sinking into the land of too-sad-to-watch.

Also from this season, Tribe Cool Crew is a fun little show. It's a Sunday morning kids' program about street dancing crews, and the plot is about as cookie cutter as you expect from these things (kid(s) with natural talent versus adults/teens with lots of practice and technical knowledge, trying to be the very best like no-one ever was, etc). On the plus side, almost every episode has actually featured some dancing, usually through cel-shaded CGI, and it even covers some real techniques and good practice like isolation (a very funny episode) and warming up. And to top it all off, the band that performs the opening theme is called "lol".
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Negated

Postby Negated » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:17 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:Anyone watching Your Lie In April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)? It bears a slight resemblance to Nodame Cantabile, although I'm slightly worried how several of the main characters seemed to be lined up for potential bad endings.
Spoiler:
Arima definitely has most of the tragic backstory, but as the protagonist it *looks* like he's destined to finally find himself and get over all his issues. On the other hand, you can pretty much spot the moment when Tsubaki's heart breaks and I think she'll be relegated to the Friend A position soon enough, and Kaori's illness is almost certainly going to be something terrible and chronic.
On the other hand, the pacing has, for the most part, been amazing - I usually hit the commercial break feeling like I've watched a whole episode only to realise it's just half-way - and some of the facial expressions and other comedic notes are, if slightly out of place, enough to keep the whole thing from sinking into the land of too-sad-to-watch.

I am following this anime as well. Your descriptions are pretty much spot on. I also notice that it makes frequent use of colorful background to reflect the mood. The rain, the trains, the sakura pedals all contribute to the story telling. I am quite sure that we are in for an emotional sad ending, but the anime has a positive vibe to keep me going.

And oh, the OP and ED are amazing.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Negated wrote:
ConMan wrote:Anyone watching Your Lie In April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)? It bears a slight resemblance to Nodame Cantabile, although I'm slightly worried how several of the main characters seemed to be lined up for potential bad endings.
Spoiler:

I am following this anime as well. Your descriptions are pretty much spot on. I also notice that it makes frequent use of colorful background to reflect the mood. The rain, the trains, the sakura pedals all contribute to the story telling. I am quite sure that we are in for an emotional sad ending, but the anime has a positive vibe to keep me going.

And oh, the OP and ED are amazing.

The one weird thing about it is that when it isn't going down the serious, possibly depressing route it can be very comedic, often in a slapstick kind of way. And some of the facial expressions in those moments are priceless.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

You know how the unlimited blade works poem sounds cool but doesn't make sense? I don't know if it's correct but the original apparently makes a bit more sense http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18530224&postcount=46
And if that is a more correct translation I really wonder how one turned in the other.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

The more straightforward interactions of Log Horizon though are quite good.

Spoiler:
Shiroe vs Demikas getting resolved was a good arc IMO. Its not like the typical anime "enemy becomes friendly rival". Demikas is still definitely on bad terms with Shiroe, I don't think anyone forgive someone who completely humiliates them as in season 1 of Log Horizon. But working together to complete the guild (under command of his guild master), while forcing Shiroe to say Demikas's name correctly is definitely a good concession for both parties.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:The more straightforward interactions of Log Horizon though are quite good.

Spoiler:
Shiroe vs Demikas getting resolved was a good arc IMO. Its not like the typical anime "enemy becomes friendly rival". Demikas is still definitely on bad terms with Shiroe, I don't think anyone forgive someone who completely humiliates them as in season 1 of Log Horizon. But working together to complete the guild (under command of his guild master), while forcing Shiroe to say Demikas's name correctly is definitely a good concession for both parties.

Spoiler:
I was actually surprised that Shiroe went through a little character arc there on events that actually happened during the actual storyline. It's like holy fuck, the writers didn't cop out for once and have a character do character development in response to something that happened off screen. The character admitted he acted poorly during an arc for which the audience was present and, y'know, rooting for the protag, etc.

This just further solidifies how much better Log Horizon is to the anime it is often compared to, Sword Art Online. Real Kudos to the writers there. It's unfortunate but this kind of character development seems uncommon.

I also really like that Demikas' revenge on Shiroe was to save him rather than to fuck everything up. I was really surprised when Demikas didn't fuck over the raid as revenge.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Negated

Postby Negated » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:20 pm UTC

Log Horizon:

Spoiler:
I think Shiroe's self reflection is actually a common theme in Log Horizon. His POV characters often self-criticize. This is quite apparent in the case of Akatsuki. She spent half her screen time of season 2 criticizing herself for being not strong enough and her negative feelings towards Minori. Shiroe often regrets his poor handling in past relationships. We also see weaker characters like Minori and Lanessia (sp?) struggling with their timid personalities. What surprised me most was Demikas' short self-reflection on his illusion of things under his control. That's a nice addition of depth to a rather shallow and completely unlikable character in Season 1.

It seems to me most POV characters don't rate themselves as highly as others do. Shiroe is remarkably humble for someone who is at the very center of many great achievements. Akatsuki feels inferior to those who participate in raids, but she is actually highly rated by several high ranking people of leading guilds. It forces you to look at the characters from multiple angles to get the whole picture. Log Horizon does a really good job in world building and character development.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

Log Horizon 2 epi 13
Spoiler:
During the last scene I thought that the cat haired goth girl could now be safely classed as a damsel in distress, but the end of the scene indicates that she might still be more interesting than that. And preview for the China server and the Ex leader of the DTB, wonder how fast she will (directly or indirectly) interact with the Akihabara group.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:52 pm UTC

I have been watching a bit Re:Hamatora and
Spoiler:
He can in a few seconds just extract someones super powers and he can even insert them in himself? I wonder if the writer really thought about the implication of easy and fast power theft. If it was at least a super power in itself but he doesn't have inborn ones so he probably is using technology. And that means once people know it's possible they will sooner or later find out how it works.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:07 am UTC

so who wants to debate the ending of Death Parade's first episode?
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

Negated

Postby Negated » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

Aldnoah Zero season 2 episode 1:

Spoiler:
WTF

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:11 pm UTC

Negated wrote:Aldnoah Zero season 2 episode 1:

Spoiler:
WTF

Reddit is like Taiwanese parliament over all the what-you-wrote-in-spoilertext that went on.

I just like how the one mecha reloaded its grenade launcher like the T800 in Terminator 2, a la the Winchester shotgun.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:00 am UTC

kiniget wrote:so who wants to debate the ending of Death Parade's first episode?

Sure. The ending was somewhat ambiguous as to whether the wife actually cheated, or whether the husband was just untrusting, but based on the fact that we're told the husband was reincarnated and the wife went to hell, it seems safest to say that the wife was actually cheating and the husband's suspicions were correct. Still though, he did lack trust in his wife, and he did show selfishness in the game. Honestly, I thought they were both going to go to hell.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:22 am UTC

Derek wrote:
kiniget wrote:so who wants to debate the ending of Death Parade's first episode?

Sure. The ending was somewhat ambiguous as to whether the wife actually cheated, or whether the husband was just untrusting, but based on the fact that we're told the husband was reincarnated and the wife went to hell, it seems safest to say that the wife was actually cheating and the husband's suspicions were correct. Still though, he did lack trust in his wife, and he did show selfishness in the game. Honestly, I thought they were both going to go to hell.

that's the thing though, in some cultures "void" is the ultimate goal and reincarnation means you haven't got there yet. Plus there was that segment where she's watching him utterly lose it while remembering the man she married. the implication being that she lied about cheating for his sake.

but yeah, it really depends on your interpretation of whether reincarnation is preferable to the void
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”