Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:36 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:About the belt-boobs scene, I wish many animes were a bit more mature they often have elements that appear a bit juvenile.


I fucking hate her outfit too. In the trailer I thought it looked kinda interesting. But in the first episode it become obvious it's this weird bodysuit that they randomly force serafuku aesthetics onto. Like wtf? Why is there a serafuku thing there? Feels really pandering. This show is teetering on the brink for me.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:53 pm UTC

I feel like I have to watch this to see what everyone is talking about, lol.

Recently, I've watched the tale of the princess Kaguya (かぐや姫の物語) and it was fantastic. Although the plot is simple (it sticks to an old, short folk tale, stretched to 2 hours of art), the animation is wonderful with its watercolours and crayon drawings and the soundtrack is nice. But what makes it really great, is how angry and sad the film made me. It makes you want to punch the father in the face, because basically everything (bad) that happens in the film is his fault, over and over again. (of course, I'm watching it with a individualistic/libertarian view, not a Japanese, feudalistic, buddhistic one) This film does not have a happy ending.


The tale of Kaguya was first told to me through Touhou games. So I'm interested in seeing a take on the original folk tale for sure.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:33 am UTC

Someone posted this awesome comment on 4chan talking about the latest episode of Owarimonogatari which explains one of the reasons why I love the monogatari series so much. I've expanded on it here:
Spoiler:
They explain how it's only been 2 episodes (1st ep is a double episode release) and this new character they've introduced is already more fleshed out that most anime characters in 12-24 episode anime shows. The character only has a couple lines throughout both episodes and is only seen in a few flashbacks, and yet the show is so good at communicating what her personality is like, and what her relationship to the main character is, and so on, that she is already a full fleshed out, empathetic, relatable, understanable, and likable character.

She isn't even actually present for any of the episode. She only shows up right at the end (and you don't see her) and presumbly she'll be a character in the next episodes.

Yet, despite this, we know:

1) What math means to her
2) How people see her, and how that makes her feel
3) What her relationship to Araragi is, and why
4) How she deals with her responsibilities as class rep
5) That her tough act is somewhat of a facade and actually, she is pretty fragile.

We got to experience many sides of her character in just these two episodes and.. the best part? It was all done through Araragi's own character development. The whole episode was really about Araragi, and we learned a lot about him. And yet despite the episode being essentially 100% about Araragi's feelings we still came out the other side knowing Oikura pretty intimately as well.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:07 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:About heavy object, fanservice aside somehow I can buy warmachines so durable that they blow everything away less than I can buy mechas although mechas are quite ridiculous.

Tanking everything doesn't work with modern weapons. (Yes tanks are armored and durable, and battleships too but they can't just shrug off serious attacks.) Also their weapons are on the outside how did they survive the nuclear weapon? And if it is that durable you would use the miracle armor on other things too and then give them the weapons these things use to hurt each other. I can't buy the making planes obsolete for combat. (maybe if the things can also fly)

About the belt-boobs scene, I wish many animes were a bit more mature they often have elements that appear a bit juvenile.


Finally got around to seeing this. The first episode was light on content. Seemed like a pretty generic start, although some anime pick up very well in like episode 3 or 4. But in general, anime seem to push fanservice before the audience is familiar with the cast and then they dial it down a bit. As for how the anime may turn out... well... there are 9 light novels and there only seems to be one season so far. I'm betting on a non-ending at best.

In any case, there have historically been battles of defense... defense so perfect that battles stalemated. The first ironclads of the Civil War: Merrimack vs Monitor... and trench warfare of WW1. It seems to be more of an "infiltration" anime though, with the main characters going up in David vs Goliath odds to bring down enemy Objects.

In any case, I'm more interested in catching up. Charlotte and Your Lie in April are on the top of my to do list... I will admit that I got far more enjoyment out of "Attack on Jr. High" than I should have.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

One Punch Man episode 2 was good as well. So far they have covered 8 chapters from the manga, which is a nice pace.

I also had fun watching the episode one of Hokuto no Ken: Ichigo Aji.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby ConMan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 am UTC

Brave Beats looks like it is sitting just at the tip of the "So bad it's good" crevasse. Same production team as Tribe Cool Crew, and indeed the opening theme is sung by the same group (but has a very different sound). But where TCC was, at its core, about a couple of kids forming a street dance crew and improving themselves (with side plots about robot assassination attempts, and transforming tengu superheroes, and really good tea), as far as I can tell Brave Beats is more like a Precure or Beyblade but with dancing as the gimmick. And the dancing wasn't even that great - on one side you have the kid possessed with the power of really fast moonwalking, on the other the kid-robot fusion who does a single breakdance move that then translates into a power attack. Still, episode two apparently features a dancing dinosaur, so there's that to look forward to I guess.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby kiniget » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:30 am UTC

I cannot express in words just how absolutely fucking perfect the One Punch Man anime is

everything about it exceeds expectations

Also: Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid is absolutely terrible and I am going to watch all of it

at least it doesn't make me mad the way Triage X did
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:39 am UTC

kiniget wrote:Also: Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid is absolutely terrible and I am going to watch all of it


Wait, that is an actual show that is part of a season and actively airing and not just porn...?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:46 pm UTC

at least it doesn't make me mad the way Triage X did


I have no plans on watching Tirage X. But please, do tell. I'm curious :D :D
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby PeteP » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:03 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
kiniget wrote:Also: Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid is absolutely terrible and I am going to watch all of it


Wait, that is an actual show that is part of a season and actively airing and not just porn...?

Well you only see their nude breasts and the scenes are relatively short thus it qualifies as a normal ecchi anime.

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby kiniget » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:51 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
at least it doesn't make me mad the way Triage X did


I have no plans on watching Tirage X. But please, do tell. I'm curious :D :D


Triage X tried to pretend that it was a shonen action show by invoking shonen tropes without any understanding of how they actually work in a series, had villians that made absolutely no sense, had a character survive a crossbow bolt to the face only to decide to throw herself in a fire for no goddamn reason, and a protagonist who could easily have been replaced by a large brick of cheese, granted that the brick of cheese was super good at fighting.

at the very least Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid isn't pretending to be anything it's not

plus the characters have actual personalities

don't get me wrong, it's still terrible, but at least it's enjoyably bad
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby ConMan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:54 am UTC

I watched Ep1 of Valkyrie Drive last night, and immediately regretted it (to be fair, I was boggled by the series description to the point of reading it out to my flatmates, who insisted we put it on to see how bad it was). Although on our local Crunchyroll-equivalent, the topless bits were censored with beams of light so strong you could use them to navigate in thick fog. I'm not sure if it made things better or worse.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:29 am UTC

On "bad anime day", we did put in "Senren Kagura", the other recent "Marvelous!" anime. I think I can get the gist of how Valkyrie Drive is going to go... based on how their last series went. FYI: We didn't even get passed like... 10 minutes into Senren Kagura.

With that said, it is the group that publishes "Harvest Moon", Fate/Extra, and Rune Factory games. So its not like "Marvelous" is new to this or anything. They seem to know what they are going for in those shows.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:22 am UTC

Monogatari is always god-tier amazing but Owarimonogatari has been especially perfect.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:59 pm UTC

Space Dandy AMV. Shin is always an amazing editor, I more or less love all the stuff he's done. Serious, comedy, upbeat... this editor can do it all!.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby kiniget » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:13 pm UTC

had to drop Rakudai Kishi. Ikki's sister ruined every bit of goodwill I had towards that show
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:08 am UTC

Charlotte begins to lay it on thick, however I find that this turn towards the dramatic could have been handled a lot better. At this point, I'm thinking I'll finish the show, but it isn't going to be in my "recommends list".
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby kiniget » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:33 am UTC

I just finished watching Diebuster and I am not okay
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:50 pm UTC

While the first episodes pleased me, I was quite disappointed with how Diebuster ended ~ although right now all I can remember of that is the fanservice.

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby kiniget » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:52 am UTC

honestly? I just substituted my own ending

and it's actually *less* fanservicey than Gunbuster

either way it's up there on my top ten list now, being essentially what you'd get if you crossed Gurren Lagann with FLCL
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:49 am UTC

*Insert More Singing of Monogatari's Praises here*
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Flumble » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:58 pm UTC

Speaking of monogatari, I was recently introduced to the opening sequences and Mein Schatz is absolutely fantastic.

...so I started watching the series, but I don't really 'get' it: a teenage guy who is thrown into episodic adventures with damsels in distress, yet is completely disconnected from reality (like he's been a shut-in for the past decade) and acts like a little boy when it comes to women (good thing they don't do 'the nosebleed' in this series, for that would cause worldwide floods every other minute). At least that's what I gather from it after 6 episodes –please tell me I'm wrong. I'll probably keep watching at least the whole bakemonogatari, half-heartedly hoping for a less fanservice-y approach (yes, I am judging if it's an adult-only show that is too prudish to show proper nudity :?) and a more coherent story.

So, pray tell, what is it that makes the monogatari series so popular or even good?

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:44 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Speaking of monogatari, I was recently introduced to the opening sequences and Mein Schatz is absolutely fantastic.


BTW: Bakemonogatari's ending is probably one of the best intros / outros I've ever seen.

half-heartedly hoping for a less fanservice-y approach


Well, you're not even at the "Brush your teeth" moment. Lol. That's in a later season though. Personally speaking, a lot of the appeal of the Bakemonogatari series is hearing all the puns and wordplay. Its kinda poetic, but is mentally taxing for me (since I don't speak Japanese, I end up re-listening to a lot of what they say). For that reason, I really haven't picked up the show since it takes too much effort on my part.

KnightExemplar wrote:Charlotte begins to lay it on thick, however I find that this turn towards the dramatic could have been handled a lot better. At this point, I'm thinking I'll finish the show, but it isn't going to be in my "recommends list".


And replying to myself to say... Charlotte is a half-good half-bad show. Some episodes were great, others were just... rushed and awful. The earlier work "Angel Beats" is a superior show. If you kinda like how Angel Beats happened, you can watch Charlotte (since there are a ton of similarities). Its just that Charlotte was not very well thought out and has one of the most arbitrary and random plotlines I've ever seen.

-----------

Best anime of 2015 are: Fate / Unlimited Blade Works (part 2), especially because of the great epilogue episode. Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers was also good. One Punch Man is currently shaping up to be an extremely good fall / winter work. Its safe to say One Punch Man is the best anime this season.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby ConMan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:52 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Speaking of monogatari, I was recently introduced to the opening sequences and Mein Schatz is absolutely fantastic.

...so I started watching the series, but I don't really 'get' it: a teenage guy who is thrown into episodic adventures with damsels in distress, yet is completely disconnected from reality (like he's been a shut-in for the past decade) and acts like a little boy when it comes to women (good thing they don't do 'the nosebleed' in this series, for that would cause worldwide floods every other minute). At least that's what I gather from it after 6 episodes –please tell me I'm wrong. I'll probably keep watching at least the whole bakemonogatari, half-heartedly hoping for a less fanservice-y approach (yes, I am judging if it's an adult-only show that is too prudish to show proper nudity :?) and a more coherent story.

So, pray tell, what is it that makes the monogatari series so popular or even good?

That's an interesting question, and I haven't watched since about halfway through the second series, but I'll try to answer as best I can. Firstly, it is very fanservicey. There is no denying that. However, at least at times, it at least acts somewhat self-aware about the fanservice and at times takes it to such ridiculous extremes that you either laugh, or feel uncomfortable, or both. The art style is (or at least was) quite distinctive, with stark colour palettes and hugely magnified pantones and use of alternative media. The dialogue is frequently deep and witty, and when it isn't it's sufficiently fast-paced that it makes you think it is. The show uses a lot of references - some of which most westerners won't get (I'm pretty sure Araragi turns into Doraemon at one point), and some which you definitely wouldn't expect (including the IGN Reaction Guys meme).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Flumble » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:08 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Well, you're not even at the "Brush your teeth" moment. Lol.

I have definitely seen a tooth-brushing scene out of context, so it's probably that one. It was... peculiar. :mrgreen:

KnightExemplar wrote:Personally speaking, a lot of the appeal of the Bakemonogatari series is hearing all the puns and wordplay. Its kinda poetic, but is mentally taxing for me (since I don't speak Japanese, I end up re-listening to a lot of what they say). For that reason, I really haven't picked up the show since it takes too much effort on my part.

Ah, that's probably why (I don't understand Japanese other than a few dozen words). But don't they explain a lot of puns? Or are there infinitely more puns that are left as an exercise to the viewer?

ConMan wrote:However, at least at times, it at least acts somewhat self-aware about the fanservice and at times takes it to such ridiculous extremes that you either laugh, or feel uncomfortable, or both.

Yeah, I like it when they parody the fanservice (P&S did that excellently, like every other thing they parodied), however this series also does a lot of it 'seriously', which I'm not too fond of, mostly because of the protagonist's reaction –not that I'm properly bothered by it though.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:25 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Ah, that's probably why (I don't understand Japanese other than a few dozen words). But don't they explain a lot of puns? Or are there infinitely more puns that are left as an exercise to the viewer?


Depends on who did the subtitles. Some notes from just the first arc (The Heavy Stone Crab arc)

1. Senjougahara is introduced as a typical Tsundere, a fanterm describing her personality archetype. Araragi however calls her a "Tsundra", because she her personality is colder than the typical Tsundere (Cross-language "Tsundere" + English Word "Tundra" == Tsundra).

2. If you mispell the word "omoishikami" (heavy stone god), by changing the "m" to the "n" sound, it turns into omoishikani (heavy stone crab). IIRC, this was explained in a plot moment explicitly.

-----

Later, in the "Monkey" arc, the story follows the classical folk tale The Monkey's Paw and then suddenly morphs to something else. The show is incredibly self-aware. The more you are aware of the stories that the show's arcs are based on, the more they will mislead you (by referencing the original story) and then catch you off guard with a dramatic turn-around.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Flumble » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:36 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:1. Senjougahara is introduced as a typical Tsundere, a fanterm describing her personality archetype. Araragi however calls her a "Tsundra", because she her personality is colder than the typical Tsundere (Cross-language "Tsundere" + English Word "Tundra" == Tsundra).

Heh, I noticed the pun, but for the wrong reason: I misrecalled tsundere to be a compound of tsund.* and dere (thereby meaning she's only hostile and not loving), but alas, it's a combination of tsun tsun and dere dere. Thanks for correcting me. :wink:

KnightExemplar wrote:2. If you mispell the word "omoishikami" (heavy stone god), by changing the "m" to the "n" sound, it turns into omoishikani (heavy stone crab). IIRC, this was explained in a plot moment explicitly.

Yes, and likewise the cow-snail misspelling was explained in the second story. (though I'm not sure what cows had to do with it, since they continued with snail anyway —maybe this isn't similar to your example at all after all)

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:26 am UTC

The point is that there isn't any myths about 'lost snails' but there are about 'lost cows' and the fact that Mayoi's idiom was a snail is related to the 'lost cow' apparition through the fact that 'snail' contains the kanji for 'cow'.

Bakemonogatari is awesome because it's significantly different to every other anime out there and it's whole thing is to riff off anime tropes, either subverting them, reconstructing them, or deconstructing them.

...so I started watching the series, but I don't really 'get' it: a teenage guy who is thrown into episodic adventures with damsels in distress, yet is completely disconnected from reality (like he's been a shut-in for the past decade)


I don't know where you get this from. The first episode opens up with him at a school talking to Hanekawa. Maybe you mean 'shut-in' differently.

and acts like a little boy when it comes to women (good thing they don't do 'the nosebleed' in this series, for that would cause worldwide floods every other minute).

At this point I think he is about 15. He is in the middle of the 'raging hormones' period of adolecense. Instead of glossing over this fact and pretending people (especially guys) don't have raging impulses would be a disservice to a series which is primarily about playing with common narrative tropes and presenting a different kind of reality from that you see in other shows.

Not saying that other anime don't have fanservice or males that nosebleed or whatever but few anime have the maincharacter seeing his classmates panties and getting a boner and needing to go buy a porn mag as the main point for a major arc (Kizumonogatari, the prequel which you get a summary of at the start of the first episode of Bakemonogatari. Might come out next year in movie form).


I'll probably keep watching at least the whole bakemonogatari, half-heartedly hoping for a less fanservice-y approach (yes, I am judging if it's an adult-only show that is too prudish to show proper nudity :?) and a more coherent story.


The show gets significantly more fanservicey in Nisemonogatari but in later seasons it depends on the arc, could be anywhere from almost none or back to Bakemonogatari levels of fanservice. The difference with Monogatari is that fanservice is characterization, parody, commentary, or plot in the guise of fanservice.

The story is coherent to me. So... *shrug*. Do you just mean on how the plot is largely based in wordplay? Or how instead of being all "Spirits are super combat dudes and you have to train to fight them with special abilities shounen" it's more like an urban version of Mushishi ambivilent emotional spirits that needs to be placated through abstract means that are related to classic mythologies?

Eastern media is already very character centric and plot-averse but Bakemonogatari is the pinnacle of the character-centric story craft. Literally everything in Monogatari is *of* the characters. Not just *about* the characters, but *of* the characters. There is a reason that, say, classmates aren't drawn when Araragi is in the classroom and the desks move around to simulate the classmate's reaction. There is a reason why you get blackscene when Araragi closes his eyes or blinks. It's because we're specifically seeing the scene from Araragi's point of view. Literally everything that is shown on screen, every plot point, every object, scene transition, piece of narration, *everything* -- is a visual or aural expression of some ineffable part of either the PoV character or the Arc's Character. That's why the art style is so abstracted and foreign, because you're not seeing the world how it is, you're seeing the world emotionally, through the character's perceptions and through their filters of what seems important and what doesn't (and that is taken to the extreme to really emphasize the characters).

The music (OPs/EDs especially) is amazing. The wordplay is intriguing. It satires anime as a whole and the harem genre in particular. It's artstyle is the culmination and pinnacle of everything SHAFT has learned throughout Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Madoka. The characters are all interesting. The plot is completely unique--Mushishi is the closest to how the actual plot works (apparitions happen that are related to character arcs and needs to be resolved mystically or emotionalyl) but it's so so completely different to Monogatari that you can't compare the two. It also has one of the most genuine and realistic, if not greatest, romance of any anime (and it isn't a romance anime). So what makes it good? What makes it popular? Literally every quality monogatari possesses and every quality it doesn't possess makes Monogatari popular and good.

With the exception of a couple scenes I personally think the show is basically perfection for multiple seasons. It is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. If you've not seen much anime, or you can't stomach even a drop of fanservice, or you can't suffer an anime that isn't fightan 24/7 then yeah, you're absolutely not going to like the show.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Flumble » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:12 pm UTC

Oh boy, a response from a fanboy. :shock: Just kidding, I much appreciate it.

Gelsamel wrote:At this point I think he is about 15.

Maybe that's why I'm so critical of him; I thought he'd be somewhere between 18-20.

Gelsamel wrote:
...so I started watching the series, but I don't really 'get' it: a teenage guy who is thrown into episodic adventures with damsels in distress, yet is completely disconnected from reality (like he's been a shut-in for the past decade)


I don't know where you get this from. The first episode opens up with him at a school talking to Hanekawa. Maybe you mean 'shut-in' differently.

Yeah, like the above, I boxed his behaviour into "mature recluse" (AFAIK that's not too uncommon for the protagonist in an anime) instead of a hormone-ridden youngster.

Gelsamel wrote:The story is coherent to me. So... *shrug*. Do you just mean on how the plot is largely based in wordplay?

Ah, no, "incoherent" probably isn't the right word. It's that the first story happened so out of the blue: suddenly a girl falls out of nowhere, suddenly she's extremely hostile, suddenly he's part-vampire, suddenly there's a setting of gods and appiritions. In hindsight it makes sense (especially considering what you say about being character-perception-driven), but while watching it I thought "why won't you introduce us to (some of) these concepts instead of jumping in and hurting my suspension of disbelief?".

By the way, no, I'm not one who enjoys pokémon and the likes –too much of the same fighting, too little character development (well, it's mostly series with eternal kids, what development is there to expect? :P ) or lack of empathy for any character.

Gelsamel wrote:There is a reason why you get blackscene when Araragi closes his eyes or blinks. It's because we're specifically seeing the scene from Araragi's point of view. Literally everything that is shown on screen, every plot point, every object, scene transition, piece of narration, *everything* -- is a visual or aural expression of some ineffable part of either the PoV character or the Arc's Character.

Thanks, I didn't recognise the black stills to be linked to one of the characters; so they're not just there for the fast pace. Does the narrative (the one cutting away faster and faster and then jumps back and forth between two words) right after the intro have a meaning too? (It's going so fast that I assume it's either superfluous or copied from the manga)

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:56 pm UTC

If the still frames have text it's text from the light novels and often give more context or more response that can't be fit into the pacing of a TV show. So if you're willing to pause and read you get extra content from the novels that otherwise wouldn't have made it into the show.

But yeah the show does throw a lot at you at once and expects you to just pick up on it and roll with it without being slowly introduced to everything. The whole show is like that. They have way too much to go through so they don't have time to explain everything in detail. If they did the pacing would be thrown off. The Monogatari series is one of the few series that can make an episode which is 100% 1 or 2 characters dialoging super interesting because of the visual and aural pacing.

Anyway I don't want any one to mistake what I said before (about people who like Fightan shows) as dirision. I like fightan shows! It's just for some people they couldn't ever watch an anime that wasn't about fightan powerlevels and that's perfectly okay. Slice of Life and Comedy anime just isn't for those people. If someone can't take SoL/Comedy then they definitley won't be able to stomach Monogatari which is easily the anime most unlike any other.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:04 pm UTC

One Punch Man is great!

But crap I've stopped following anime now ever since fall 2015. I really miss the lovely time of spring when my kind of shows lined up perfectly (Oregairu!!, Hibike Euphonium, and Kekkai Sensen.) But how I have this feeling that I cannot enjoy anime any more. Maybe it's the result of watching Fate Zero, but I dunno.

Derek
Posts: 2178
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:21 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:At this point I think he is about 15. He is in the middle of the 'raging hormones' period of adolecense.

I'm pretty sure he's starting his senior year of high school at the beginning of Bakemonogatari, so he's probably about 18.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6451
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby sardia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:12 am UTC

Derek wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:At this point I think he is about 15. He is in the middle of the 'raging hormones' period of adolecense.

I'm pretty sure he's starting his senior year of high school at the beginning of Bakemonogatari, so he's probably about 18.

All anime characters in the West are always 18, even when they say their ages, they're ALWAYS 18. Read the fine print.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:51 pm UTC

So I'm actually pretty pumped for the new season. Who knows if any of this will be any good but I'll at least check them out.

Ajin - Looks awesome despite the CGI. Reminds me of Knights of Sidonia in that respect.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi - Looks interesting. Mystery/murders in a small town stuff. Need more of this kind of show so I hope it's good. Dose lips.

Bubuki Buranki - This anime shows you that CGI can actually be done well. This one actually looks good and while I don't think it's ideal it's definitely impressive. I also feel like this trailer is my favourite kind of trailer. No voice or plot, just music, text and dramatic scenes.

Dagashi Kashi - Looks like silly slice of life Shennanigans in a cafe. I like slice of lifes set in cafes. I like how derpy the characters look.

Dimension W - By the same peeps that did Darker than Black, so it could be awesome.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - Looks like a really interesting spin on the whole 'stuck in a video game' style concept mixed with those classicly ridiculous Sci-Fi premises.

Musaigen no Phantom World - Dat trailer animation. Hope it lasts for longer than the trailer. Show looks kinda silly and fanservicey overall but the animation looks great and the characters have interesting powers. Also KyoAni. Wait a sec, it's this fanservicey and it's also KyoAni? Wtf. What has Amagi Brilliant Park done to you!? Oh well.

Kizumonogatari - Fuck yes. Left the best till last. Can't wait. 3 parts apparently. Tekketsu then Nekketsu then, of course, Reiketsu.



Edit:

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - Looks really interesting but also simply worth watching for that delicious Kobayashi Yuu voice.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby kiniget » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:55 am UTC

so yes, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi is, in fact, excellent

they managed to cram a hell of a lot of stuff into the first episode, and yet the pacing doesn't feel rushed in the slightest. I really like all the characters that were introduced, even though we may not see them again for a while, and I have to say I was not expecting anything quite that dramatic to happen in the first episode, but it sets up where the show is going pretty well.

definitely worth watching

on the other side of things, I really wasn't expecting much out of Phantom World, so I really can't say I'm disappointed with that first episode. I do hope the show starts going somewhere soon though
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby PeteP » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:22 am UTC

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi manga spoiler, a big enough spoiler that you will probably know the identity of the culprit when you reach the part of the story I am talking about:
Spoiler:
I wonder whether it will be the same for anime watchers that he is so obviously hinted at that many people think it has to be misdirection.

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby kiniget » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:36 am UTC

I decided to watch Luck & Logic because the premise seemed mildly intriguing

I was not expecting it to actually be good
don't get me wrong, it's still a largely generic battle show apparently based on a CCG, but it's very competently put together

and then Bubuki Buranki was actually impressive, completely destroying my expectations and turning out to be something truly interesting
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:46 am UTC

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi is excellent.

Bubuki Bunranki - Was fine but I wasn't as pumped for it after the first ep compared to the trailer. One really cool thing though, is that the CGI looks exactly like the Fire Emblem CGI.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu was great. I really enjoyed it.

Dagashi Kakashi - Was fine I guess. Gunna keep watching to see if it gets better.

Musaigen no Phantom World - Wow... KyoAni I mean... I don't know. Maybe they'll find a way but it's basically 100% Fanservice. I'm not sure what KyoAni is thinking here. Have they finally given up on doing really high quality pure wholesome stuff? Are they going to give in to the otaku to make a quick buck? Maybe it'll end up being awesome but... I just... I don't know.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby PeteP » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:17 pm UTC

I still haven't really checked Boku Dachi yet, usually shows were I already know the manga are a bit boring in anime form because I know the story. But it's a pretty good story so I should check it.

Grimgar could be interesting.

Have you watched Ajin, I like to think that the majority wouldn't just consider them not human just because they can't be killed. But maybe I'm too optimistic. (Not that I think them being considered human would stop governments from capturing and studying them.) Also I watched it with a hilariously bad translation.

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:16 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Also I watched it with a hilariously bad translation.


Postponed watching it due to that.

Also I just started Akagami no Shirayuki-hime season one, now that the second one is airing. It's not too bad.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests