Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dark Ragnarok

Re: Anime!

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Fri May 02, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Eek. If you're that far in. Put in on hold. I've watched way too much anime to tell you that once you make it past 4 eps. and it's still not holding it for you, just try something else, and finish it later. My friend finished it, but I think he liked it. But I highly recommend you move to something else.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 02, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd Gig
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Solid State Society

...seeing a trend here?

Okay a couple others:

Yes, on anything Miyazaki does, Spirited Away being my favorite, far and away.

Also, anything Katsuhiro Otomo does (Akira, Steamboy, Metropolis, Memories), or Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Avalon, Jin-Rô [Wolf Brigade])

Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina were beautiful.

Getting into the horrific and more "adult":

Vampire Hunter D, Bloodlust, and the other one whose name I can never remember.
Blood: The Last Vampire
Kite (I actually preferred the censored version, as it made more sense to me)
Elfen Lied ( Re: the first couple minutes, and some of the moments later -- :shock: )
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Sat May 03, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:Eek. If you're that far in. Put in on hold. I've watched way too much anime to tell you that once you make it past 4 eps. and it's still not holding it for you, just try something else, and finish it later. My friend finished it, but I think he liked it. But I highly recommend you move to something else.

It's not that I was considering giving up on it, I mean I did buy the boxset (cheap on ebay but still) so I might as well watch it. I just wanted to get my expectations in line. I read a few reviews and comments that said it was really quite profound but in fact it just seems to have pretensions at depth. That being said I am quite enjoying, overall it has a nice a tone, brooding and minimalist.

Dusty Chalk wrote:Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd Gig
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Solid State Society

Everytime I see these I realise that I like them a bit more than I thought I did. Do you know if there's any plans for another series or film? As I said above, I think Solid State Society laid down a really interesting premise for a third series or follow up film.

Spoiler:
The bit I'm talking about specifically is when the Major links to the body that's being occupied by the Puppeteer. He tells her that killing himself was a ruse to lure her into linking with him and says that her subconscious has merged with so many other powerful entities that it has developed a life of it's own, and that point you see one of the Major's back-up bodies get up and leave her base. Of course I may have misunderstood, sometimes the dialogue is a bit vague.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 04, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

CHeMnISTe BOY wrote:
Dark Ragnarok wrote:Eek. If you're that far in. Put in on hold. I've watched way too much anime to tell you that once you make it past 4 eps. and it's still not holding it for you, just try something else, and finish it later. My friend finished it, but I think he liked it. But I highly recommend you move to something else.

It's not that I was considering giving up on it, I mean I did buy the boxset (cheap on ebay but still) so I might as well watch it. I just wanted to get my expectations in line. I read a few reviews and comments that said it was really quite profound but in fact it just seems to have pretensions at depth. That being said I am quite enjoying, overall it has a nice a tone, brooding and minimalist.

Ergo Proxy has actually become one of my favourite animes (2nd place only to Last Exile, so far :P ). It's like Logan's Run at the beginning, then turns into Highlander. What more can you ask for?

Plus, Re-l is hawt. :P
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Macross Frontier continues to pile on the fanservice... did you know that girls getting off on vibrating cell phones is okay for broadcast in Japan?
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:25 am UTC

Did you know that graphic violence, (like murder, rape, and actual surgery) is okay for broadcast in America?
sorry. I don't actually want to start a fight.

I will second Ghost in the Shell. It's got some freaking depth (and I think I have the equivalent of a man-crush on Major Mokoto). All the Sallinger references got me to pick up a copy of The Catcher in the Rye which is also awesome.
There was some buzz on the IMDB board about a live action - cgi movie in the future.

Also Death Note. I am watching both on adultswim.com on Fridays. I watched an episode or two with subtitles to compare the voices. L's English voice (is way more sexy and) I couldn't help but notice seemed more... English, and sophisticated. Hm, sophisticated, English detective. Y'know, I've been meaning to read some Sherlock Holmes what with all the literary references to it I've been seeing(House MD mostly).

Vampire Hunter D, Bloodlust was crazy awesome sexy, and I've been wanting to see the original/ first movie. I haven't yet, but I have read books 1-3 and half of 5.

Anime has gotten me reading books. How crazy is that?

There's also some anime based on manga I've read that I've watched a few episodes of: Fruits Basket, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura

I also sometimes watch stuff my brother watches, Naruto, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Yu-gi-oh, some other stuff on Cartoon Network,
Pokemon (remember when it had a cool theme song?) Sailor Moon, and Hamtaro I used to watch after school

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Tue May 06, 2008 1:17 am UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Macross Frontier continues to pile on the fanservice... did you know that girls getting off on vibrating cell phones is okay for broadcast in Japan?

Is this supposed to be bad or something?

cephalopod9 wrote:Also Death Note. I am watching both on adultswim.com on Fridays. I watched an episode or two with subtitles to compare the voices. L's English voice (is way more sexy and) I couldn't help but notice seemed more... English, and sophisticated. Hm, sophisticated, English detective. Y'know, I've been meaning to read some Sherlock Holmes what with all the literary references to it I've been seeing(House MD mostly)

1. Death Note just sux after Ray Penbar arc. The meeting of L and Light was a turn for the worse... I only kept watching for KEIKAKU DOORI.

2. I thought L was supposed to be English, but he doesn't sound remotely English in the dub. How does he sound English?

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Morphing Ball wrote:
lazarus89 wrote:Macross Frontier continues to pile on the fanservice... did you know that girls getting off on vibrating cell phones is okay for broadcast in Japan?

Is this supposed to be bad or something?

Hell no. :D
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 06, 2008 5:05 am UTC

CHeMnISTe BOY wrote: Do you know if there's any plans for another series or film? As I said above, I think Solid State Society laid down a really interesting premise for a third series or follow up film.
Don't know -- I'm so perpetually behind in all my DVD watching, that I just let myself be surprised when something new comes out (although that whole Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence fiasco had me actually reading up on the information about it ). Haven't even seen Solid State Society yet.
I remain,

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Morphing Ball wrote:1. Death Note just sux after Ray Penbar arc. The meeting of L and Light was a turn for the worse... I only kept watching for KEIKAKU DOORI.

2. I thought L was supposed to be English, but he doesn't sound remotely English in the dub. How does he sound English?

1. I will not readily beleive you have a soul if you did not cry your eyes out
Spoiler:
at episode 25
(hyperbole) I liked a lot of the Light and L interaction (even tho' Light is a complete bastard)
2. I've onlly seen up to episode 28, so I don't know if it goes more into L's past, but I think he only spent 5 years there or something... I said he sounded more English than in the Japanese, although I don't actually know what an English accent might sound like in Japanese. Mostly what I noticed was that they went more for the sophisticate gentleman angle than the idiot savant angle.

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Wed May 07, 2008 1:52 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
Morphing Ball wrote:1. Death Note just sux after Ray Penbar arc. The meeting of L and Light was a turn for the worse... I only kept watching for KEIKAKU DOORI.

1. I will not readily beleive you have a soul if you did not cry your eyes out
Spoiler:
at episode 25
(hyperbole) I liked a lot of the Light and L interaction (even tho' Light is a complete bastard)
2. I've onlly seen up to episode 28, so I don't know if it goes more into L's past, but I think he only spent 5 years there or something... I said he sounded more English than in the Japanese, although I don't actually know what an English accent might sound like in Japanese. Mostly what I noticed was that they went more for the sophisticate gentleman angle than the idiot savant angle.

Spoiler:
I first recoiled at the foot massage that came out of nowhere, and I knew he was going to die (some people on the internet don't use these tags) so that didn't come as a shock. I certainly didn't shed a tear, but my thoughts were along the lines of (they've killed off the best character and this series is going to be boring as hell from now on). And it was, to me.

Fixed your tags - ST

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Wed May 07, 2008 2:42 am UTC

Damnit, your spoiler tag is borken! Fuck.
I remain,

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Wed May 07, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Morphing Ball wrote:(some people on the internet don't use these tags)

Oh, the irony.

(Well, technically it's not irony in the dramatic sense, but word definitions are not necessarily fixed and may be defined by consensus but... *rambles*)
All is well. We are not like the others.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

Morphing Ball wrote:
Spoiler:
I first recoiled at the foot massage that came out of nowhere, and I knew he was going to die (some people on the internet don't use these tags) so that didn't come as a shock. I certainly didn't shed a tear, but my thoughts were along the lines of (they've killed off the best character and this series is going to be boring as hell from now on). And it was, to me.

Fixed your tags - ST

I'm probably just being an obnoxious fan-girl, all the same
Spoiler:
Why does everyone have to get all weirded out by the foot touching? Never mind the character development or layers of emotional interaction, boys are in physical contact with eachother, we must panic.
it was spoilered for me to, and it still made me cry. While I do cry easily, he seemed so very alone in the end
Ooh, did you watch it dubbed or subbed? I liked the language in the dub a little better, but I'm not sure if I've seen the official, or best subtitling.

Kixo
iBoy

Postby Kixo » Thu May 08, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

Well i love anime and had about 200gb of it until i accidentally deleted it off my hard drive (by that i mean i was stupid enough to not back it up) but i have to say that my favorite anime would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. It was just awesome for its time. Although the ending was kind of hard to understand but the movies did an awesome job at explaining what the series could not.
<3 Jmrz

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Ooh, did you watch it dubbed or subbed? I liked the language in the dub a little better, but I'm not sure if I've seen the official, or best subtitling.

Subbed. I got the series off someone who had episodes from various fansubbing groups; some were shitty, some were not.

KEIKAKU DOORI beats "Exactly as planned" in my estimation.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue May 13, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Damn NoBrandCon getting me hooked on anime. Actually, it was pretty much all Celina, not the con. So now my list is:
R.O.D the TV
Hellsing
Gungrave
Elfen Lied
Excel Saga
Ghost in the Shell (so far only Stand Alone Complex)
And I'm apparently going to be adding a bunch more to the list in the near future.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

micco

Postby micco » Tue May 13, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

Series I have seen:
Fullmetal alchemist. Good, but I prefer the manga.
Mai Hime. Ok, I guess...

Movies I have seen:
Fullmetal alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa. Not too good, no where near as good as the series or manga.
Spirited away: A very good movie.
Tonari no Totoro: A fantastic movie.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue May 13, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:OK my Haruhi fan-girl level has just been kicked up another notch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TIjsPFYdkZY&feature=related

this has got to be one of THE BEST AMVs i have ever seen. i'm not a huge Heartsdales (the musical duo) fan, but this song is adorable and the video is amazing. Its got outtakes. O_o.

Been reading the Suzumiya Haruhi novels. FUCKING HILARIOUS, though I have a tough time understanding a lot of the idiom.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed May 14, 2008 8:57 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
parkaboy wrote:OK my Haruhi fan-girl level has just been kicked up another notch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TIjsPFYdkZY&feature=related

this has got to be one of THE BEST AMVs i have ever seen. i'm not a huge Heartsdales (the musical duo) fan, but this song is adorable and the video is amazing. Its got outtakes. O_o.

Been reading the Suzumiya Haruhi novels. FUCKING HILARIOUS, though I have a tough time understanding a lot of the idiom.

The idiom in the song or in the novels? There's a subbed version of the song (the full version) at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofxUzyw7v8&NR=1

If it's the novels, I haven't seen them, so I have no comment there.
LOWA

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed May 21, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Hooray! My Tenjho Tenge just finished downloading!

I'll come back here later after I watch a few more EPs.

Prince Enigma

Postby Prince Enigma » Wed May 21, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

I apologize for my being so mainstream but it has to be said that Death-Note is fantastic. I won't spoil it as I would wish death on anyone who did the same to me, but the climax of the series is by far the most dramatic and finely sculpted pieces of programming ever created.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed May 21, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

I'll say this again. Watch Code Geass first then come back and tell me that. *waits*

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat May 24, 2008 3:49 am UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:Hooray! My Tenjho Tenge just finished downloading!

I'll come back here later after I watch a few more EPs.

That series is so over the top sometimes it's hilarious. Seriously, they take some of the ridiculous portions of mecha anime but instead make it awesome by turning the dial to 11.

On another note, I liked Spice And Wolf.

And now I'm absolutely bored because I'm more or less out of anime that I"m interested in.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun May 25, 2008 12:58 am UTC

duuuuude. No wayyyy. There's WAyyyyyy too many. Crunchy roll it! check the top boards.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 25, 2008 1:14 am UTC

OK, I've run out of anime that I'm familiar with. I currently have sitting on my hard disk that I haven't watched yet:

Baccano!
Death Note
Excel Saga
Gunslinger Girl
Lucky Star
Macross ZERO
My Otome
Neon Genesis - Evangelion
Paranoia Agent
Tsukuyomi
Xenosaga

Anyone care to make a suggestion where to begin, and which of those are absolute shite?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun May 25, 2008 5:03 am UTC

DEATH NOTE. DEATH. NOTE.

Watch it now. All of it. Don't come back until you're done.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun May 25, 2008 10:20 am UTC

Don't listen to him. It's only good up until about half way. It has some stuff to fix. When you get to Ep 22 or so. Just drop it. You won't regret. Watch Code Geass instead.

Lucky star is FTW. Excel saga is funny but nothing that spectacular. WATCH Gunslinger Girl AND Paranoia Agent. If you like philosophy watch Eva as well but I wouldn't get too bouncy over it. It's good but not like Oh me yarm Oh. Especially the ending. Also, WATCH Paranoia Agent. It's a fucking BAD ASS ending.

As a side note if you haven't watched Haruhi, watch that as well along with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and second season. Those are all my suggestions.

I'm dead serious about Death Note though, do NOT expect too much out of it. People rave about it and just... ugh... trust me *please* Code Geass is way better. Death Note is worth watching but just... it does *not* compare to the level of Code Geass.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 25, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:Don't listen to him. It's only good up until about half way. It has some stuff to fix. When you get to Ep 22 or so. Just drop it. You won't regret. Watch Code Geass instead.

Lucky star is FTW. Excel saga is funny but nothing that spectacular. WATCH Gunslinger Girl AND Paranoia Agent. If you like philosophy watch Eva as well but I wouldn't get too bouncy over it. It's good but not like Oh me yarm Oh. Especially the ending. Also, WATCH Paranoia Agent. It's a fucking BAD ASS ending.

As a side note if you haven't watched Haruhi, watch that as well along with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and second season. Those are all my suggestions.

I'm dead serious about Death Note though, do NOT expect too much out of it. People rave about it and just... ugh... trust me *please* Code Geass is way better. Death Note is worth watching but just... it does *not* compare to the level of Code Geass.

Yeah, I've already watched Code Geass - currently waiting for the next episode to be subbed and torrented - I notice it's already available raw on mininova. If only I could speak Japanese. :cry:

Okay, I guess I'll get started on Paranoia Agent.

Edit: HOLY CRAP. The opening credits are truly creepifying :shock:

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun May 25, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok is a whore and will be burnt at the stake.

Anyone watching Soul Eater? It rocks my world in all sorts of ways.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun May 25, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Yeah, I've already watched Code Geass - currently waiting for the next episode to be subbed and torrented - I notice it's already available raw on mininova. If only I could speak Japanese. :cry:

Okay, I guess I'll get started on Paranoia Agent.

Edit: HOLY CRAP. The opening credits are truly creepifying :shock:

I love the reference to the Atomic Bomb in the opening Credits. But the credits all mean something. Especially the ending...

Fearbears?! wrote:Dark Ragnarok is a whore and will be burnt at the stake.

Anyone watching Soul Eater? It rocks my world in all sorts of ways.

I'll give it a watch. But I am an anime whore. : D.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 26, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Well, the ending had better be worth it. PA is okay, but I'm starting to lose interest. I'll keep it going due to the promise of a truly "BAD ASS" ending.

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Mon May 26, 2008 3:22 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:OK, I've run out of anime that I'm familiar with. I currently have sitting on my hard disk that I haven't watched yet:

Baccano!
Death Note
Excel Saga
Gunslinger Girl
Lucky Star
Macross ZERO
My Otome
Neon Genesis - Evangelion
Paranoia Agent
Tsukuyomi
Xenosaga

Anyone care to make a suggestion where to begin, and which of those are absolute shite?

Baccano! is one of the better ones I've tried from that list (but I haven't seen it all myself). I really think Paranoia Agent is so-so from what I've seen, but I haven't watched it all. I will do so because it's not that long.

The best anime I've seen from the past few years (most are from 2007-08, Akagi is just a bit older) would be these.

Akagi
Kaiji
Mushi-shi
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (and the sequel, Zoku)

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Mon May 26, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Ok lemme rephrase this. I watched form EP 6-7 first. then finished it in order. Then cycled back into EP 1-5.

That's how I watched it.

Stief

Postby Stief » Mon May 26, 2008 11:20 am UTC

I went to the Londonexpo on saturday, and made a beeline for the Beez stand, where they were selling the special edition Haruhi Boxset ^_^ They had a deal on, which (as I believe no-one else had got there before us) has resulted in me and my friend being the first two people in the U.K to recieve the Haruhi limited edition boxset (which had a cd, an iron-on transfer, Haruhi's ribbons, a double sided pencil board and vol.1 in it) along with the other 3 volumes :D

it's awesome ^_^

I think it's actually released in shops today :D
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Mon May 26, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

I've been watching Speed Grapher on the Independent Film Channel. It's a strange anime, Hell Girl starts in July, anyone ever watch it?
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

OK, the ending of Paranoia Agent wasn't really THAT bad-ass. Although it did make me cry a little bit over the whole dead dog thing. For some reason, I get more emotional over the thought of a dead dog than a dead person.

I've watched the first episode of Baccano!, and I'm already bored with it. I guess I'll make a start on Gunslinger Girl tomorrow.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 am UTC

I think instead of Bad Ass I meant to say epic, which i associate with bad ass. I'm warning you about Gun Slinger Girl though. It's a very mature tasting anime. Very artsy. It's very sad too. And then the ending... it was so beautiful. In a simple way. But I really did enjoy the show. It was very pretty. It's like classical music to music like Gunslinger Girl is to anime.

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Thu May 29, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

I've watched a fair bit of anime over the last few weeks.

After loving Paranoia Agent and enjoying Perfect Blue and Paprika I decided to check out the rest of Satoshi Kon's stuff. Millenium Actress is pretty good but I think Tokyo Godfathers is much better. It doesn't have any of the mind-bending surrealist stuff but I think the characters and the plot are great. Strangely it reminded me a few Spanish directors- Pedro Almodovar (possibly just because of the trannie) and Julio Medem (because of the coincidence-heavy plot). I also saw Memories, which is a compilation film. There are three short films produced by different people, one of them written by Kon. They're so-so, not spectacular viewing.

Mind Game is really good and fun but sometimes the shifting animation styles seemed a bit gimmicky at times.

The Girl Who Leapt Through was good, but a bit simplistic although admittedly I'm probably not the target audience for it.

Saw some Studio Ghibli stuff. There's a short film called Iblard Jikan which is more of an animated painting, since it is directed by a Japanese surrealist painter, probably not worth seeking out. I've got some short animated films called Ghiblies, which is about the staff at Studio Ghibli, haven't watched those yet but I've seen little bits and it looks good. Most recently I saw Only Yesterday, which is a nice little drama film and reminded me of a famous classic Japanese director called Ozu.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 29, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Ah, were PA and Paprika made by the same guy then? I thought they seemed similar in style.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”