Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Wed May 01, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Eotenas? Tell me you're not watching the horrible subs being done by CommieSubs? They're Titans... seriously. CommieSubs is trolling with the Eotenas thing.

You just mad 'cause you're not watching The Eotena Onslaught.

The whole Eoten essay really got the linguist in me going, and their arguments were actually quite well reasoned, so I decided to stick with their subs. And "Attack on Titan" is really a blind idiot translation of the title anyways.
Last edited by Derek on Wed May 01, 2013 6:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Derek

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 01, 2013 6:23 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Eotenas? Tell me you're not watching the horrible subs being done by CommieSubs? They're Titans... seriously. CommieSubs is trolling with the Eotenas thing.

What's wrong with the word eotena? It's from old English, and old norse before that. If you're looking for an exotic version of the word "giant", you could do worse.

And as said, "attack on titan" is a stupid name for any series that does not take place on Saturn's largest moon. But I'll forgive it that because the series is still good.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Gelsamel » Wed May 01, 2013 9:56 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

What's wrong with the word eotena? It's from old English, and old norse before that. If you're looking for an exotic version of the word "giant", you could do worse.

And as said, "attack on titan" is a stupid name for any series that does not take place on Saturn's largest moon. But I'll forgive it that because the series is still good.

Attack on Titan is the official name... and you don't really need any kind of exotic word, they're titans... Given the official translation of the title it's clear they intend the english translation of Kyojin to be 'titans'. Plus it just makes a lot of sense.

The problem with Eoten is this quote, from the subber:
M: Well, for “Eoten” it’s easy: the nominative and the accusative are identical, so most of the time you’ll be seeing “Eoten” as the singular and “Eotenas” as the plural. (For example, “That Eoten is eating her!” or, “My God, she’s being eaten by the Eotenas!”) For the dative case, the singular is “Eotene” and the plural is “Eotenum,” so you might occasionally see lines like, “We’ll bring the attack to the Eotenum!” or, “I can’t believe he’s sacrificing his own mother to that Eotene just so he can escape!” or, “I’ll give this Eotene a taste of my blade!” Finally, in the genitive the singular is “Eotenes” and the plural is “Eotena,” but with the exception of the title I’ll use modern English apostrophe conventions for possessive forms: “That Eotenes’ teeth are huge!” or, “All the might of the Eotena cannot overcome the courage of mankind!” or, “The Eotena’s assault just won’t stop!” or, “The mind of this Eotenes is most likely focused solely on devouring people.”

Ie. they're basically just out to troll everyone. It's not unheard of for some subbers to do troll subs, gg and commie mostly... You just have to be on the watch out for them. You might be getting trolled on more than just the ridiculous Eoten translation.
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby broken_escalator » Wed May 01, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Maybe I'm not getting something, but that seems like an incredibly tame attempt at trolling.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby Grop » Wed May 01, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Tatami Galaxy is quite interesting, Kaiba too. Why didn't I watch them before? Well I guess because Kaiba's art looks unusual on screenshot, though the animation is good.

I said that already, but Kaiba is really good. (I don't know the Tatami Galaxy, so I note it as something I might watch).
Therian Saga nick: Chance
Grop

Postby Gelsamel » Wed May 01, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Maybe I'm not getting something, but that seems like an incredibly tame attempt at trolling.

You mean it's subtle instead of obvious trolling? Now everyone who watches their thing is calling it Eotenas and inadvertedly trolling everyone else.
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby broken_escalator » Wed May 01, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

I'm not understanding why Eotenas is a bad thing. It doesn't seem all that provacative (to me).
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 01, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:Maybe I'm not getting something, but that seems like an incredibly tame attempt at trolling.

You mean it's subtle instead of obvious trolling? Now everyone who watches their thing is calling it Eotenas and inadvertedly trolling everyone else.

I think you're trolling yourself. It looks like you're the only person bothered by it.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Gelsamel » Thu May 02, 2013 3:09 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:

I think you're trolling yourself. It looks like you're the only person bothered by it.

Me and everyone using the official translation all through -every- sub group's translation of the manga and every sub of the anime (except Commie) in any kind of discussion ever. If you're fine with a screwed up translation I'm not going to stop you watching it, just realise that Commie really is trolling the crap out of this series. You can find a lot of sub comparisons out there and if you compare you'll see Commie's subs are actually quite terrible, on purpose.

Like SciJo and I mentioned, Commie is known for pulling stuff like this just to confuse and annoy people. gg does it sometimes too (but not for this series) though they're usually more ridiculous about it.

Edit: If you like commies subs for some reason you can also even just pick up AutisticCommie's remake of Commie's subs where they take out the Eoten and replace it with 'Titan'... but that still leaves in the other inaccuracies. I suspect it also takes out the 90,000 lines of typesetting that Commie uses solely to remake the 'Attack on Titan' subtitle into 'The Eotena Onslaught' which can screw up some players/computers.

broken_escalator wrote:I'm not understanding why Eotenas is a bad thing. It doesn't seem all that provacative (to me).

You should see all the forum/IRC discussions for this show... a lot of it is trolling/shitstorming for this very reason. Seems like Commie were really successful to me.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Derek » Thu May 02, 2013 3:52 am UTC

So if we accept the claim that Commie is doing this solely to troll, you do realize that you're taking the bait hook, line, and sinker, right? Shouldn't you just ignore them, if that's the case?

I think all of us who are watching the commie subs release are well aware of the controversy around it, and have accepted it regardless of that fact.
Derek

Postby Gelsamel » Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 am UTC

Derek wrote:So if we accept the claim that Commie is doing this solely to troll, you do realize that you're taking the bait hook, line, and sinker, right? Shouldn't you just ignore them, if that's the case?

I think all of us who are watching the commie subs release are well aware of the controversy around it, and have accepted it regardless of that fact.

Apparently some people aren't aware, which is why I'm making it known.

Like I said in my previous post, I don't care if you really want to watch that sub. I'm not telling you you're wrong for wanting to watch commie subs. I'm just pointing out that:
1) It's a poor translation that only causes confusion
2) Communication issues will arise with anyone using any other translation that exists for SnK, manga or otherwise.
3) There are other non-Eoten related lines that are incorrectly or poorly translated so you might either miss important information or receive false information.
4) The actual subs themselves might cause player/computer issues for people due to the typesetting they had to do to change 'Attack on Titan' to 'The Eotena Onslaught'.

Edit: Interesting to note that on Commie's website they use only 'Kyojin' and 'Titan' to advertise their torrents... I wonder why.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Grop » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 am UTC

I wasn't aware that some guys on the internet would mistranslate things on purpose. This is quite a hard thing to believe. I will look that up some day.
Therian Saga nick: Chance
Grop

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 02, 2013 11:52 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:1) It's a poor translation that only causes confusion
2) Communication issues will arise with anyone using any other translation that exists for SnK, manga or otherwise.
3) There are other non-Eoten related lines that are incorrectly or poorly translated so you might either miss important information or receive false information.
4) The actual subs themselves might cause player/computer issues for people due to the typesetting they had to do to change 'Attack on Titan' to 'The Eotena Onslaught'.

Ohhh okay, that makes more sense now. I thought it was just them using the word Eoten, but causing computer issues and other misstranslations is another beast. Thanks.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby Gelsamel » Fri May 03, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Anyone been following Yahari, Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru? It's actually really good and getting better each episode. I really like it.

Also Yuyushiki is cute and funny as all hell. A great watch if you dont mind some lesbian overtones in some scenes.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 03, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Yes, although I know it by its English Title: "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU". It is... surprisingly good. And unlike the last few stuff I've been talking about, this anime is actually good on its own merits, as opposed to being "so awful that I find it funny".

Its pretty refreshing, I definitely like it. There is a significant amount of "intelligence" that is going into the anime that I haven't seen in a while. Its jokes are fresh, and the character setup is also fresh. They are obviously making fun of the "emo anime kid" trope, but the characters themselves (who are following the trope mostly) are deeper than that.

I'm only 2 episodes in right now... but...
Spoiler:
And as far as I can tell, the story fails to be romantic so far. At least, there is no cheezy love triangle or weak-ass drama going on. Hiki is following the pervert trope, but sparks haven't started between characters yet. I'm fine with this though, its just not what I was expecting from the title.

Also, episode one can be summarized as...

Spoiler:
Bitch

Isn't Engrish grand?

-------

EDIT: Also, thank god its not another Harem-fest.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.
KnightExemplar

Postby Gelsamel » Fri May 03, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Yes, although I know it by its English Title: "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU". It is... surprisingly good. And unlike the last few stuff I've been talking about, this anime is actually good on its own merits, as opposed to being "so awful that I find it funny".

Its pretty refreshing, I definitely like it. There is a significant amount of "intelligence" that is going into the anime that I haven't seen in a while. Its jokes are fresh, and the character setup is also fresh. They are obviously making fun of the "emo anime kid" trope, but the characters themselves (who are following the trope mostly) are deeper than that.

I'm only 2 episodes in right now... but...
Spoiler:
And as far as I can tell, the story fails to be romantic so far. At least, there is no cheezy love triangle or weak-ass drama going on. Hiki is following the pervert trope, but sparks haven't started between characters yet. I'm fine with this though, its just not what I was expecting from the title.

Also, episode one can be summarized as...

Spoiler:
Bitch

Isn't Engrish grand?

-------

EDIT: Also, thank god its not another Harem-fest.

Spoiler:
Yeah there isn't really any romance at all so far. Maybe a tiny itsy bit if you count some blushes here and there.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby SciJo » Sat May 04, 2013 2:38 am UTC

I really enjoy My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. Of the handful of shows I'm currently watching, it's one of the shows I look forward to most each week. I find it amusing how often the students use the word "like" in everyday conversations. Moreso than any other, the whole show kinda feels like a caricatured version of high school, a comically exaggerated representation, yet almost relatable in a way, minus all the corporal punishment that fictional teachers get away with.

What really makes it are the characters. Oregairu is by and large a very character-driven series, which tend to be my favorite type of series. Of course, being character-driven, it's important to have likable characters, characters you care about or at the very least are entertained by. All the characters are interesting and likable, and they each complement one another well.

Spoiler:
As of now, there still hasn't really been any romance yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it started showing up soon.
SciJo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun May 05, 2013 11:18 am UTC

The quality of the adaption of Shingeki no Kyojin is far beyond my expectations. I've read all of the manga so far and they've just done amazingly good job. So far they've just straight improved on the original material.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Derek » Sun May 05, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

I haven't read the manga and certainly don't want spoilers, but shit, this show is pulling out all the stops.
Derek

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 05, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I'd really like to know how Eren is going to survive being eaten by a titan eotena. Is he going to hack-and-slash his way out of its belly with his one remaining sword-hand? Or is magic going to happen? Or is he going to turn into a titan eotena himself, and cause the thing that ate him to explode into gory gibs?

Or is this one of those anyone-can-die type animes, and the remainder is going to be his sister's roaring rampage of revenge?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby PeteP » Sun May 05, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
I'd really like to know how Eren is going to survive being eaten by a titan eotena. Is he going to hack-and-slash his way out of its belly with his one remaining sword-hand? Or is magic going to happen? Or is he going to turn into a titan eotena himself, and cause the thing that ate him to explode into gory gibs?

Or is this one of those anyone-can-die type animes, and the remainder is going to be his sister's roaring rampage of revenge?

Btw about the fifth gargantia episode,
Spoiler:
couldn't they think of some other obstacle for his errand...
PeteP
What the peck?

Postby Derek » Mon May 06, 2013 4:32 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I was just saying earlier in the episode, "Of course he's going to live, he's the main character and it's only episode 5". But shit, I think they may have just pulled a Gurren Lagann on us/
Derek

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 06, 2013 8:39 am UTC

Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I was just saying earlier in the episode, "Of course he's going to live, he's the main character and it's only episode 5". But shit, I think they may have just pulled a Gurren Lagann on us/

Not sure I need to spoiler this; everyone's seen Gurren Lagann, right? Nevertheless:
Spoiler:
Kamina was never the main character, he was just this dude that the main character looked up to.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SciJo » Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Not sure I need to spoiler this; everyone's seen Gurren Lagann, right? Nevertheless:
Spoiler:
Kamina was never the main character, he was just this dude that the main character looked up to.

Spoiler:
He really shoulda been though.
SciJo

Postby PeteP » Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 am UTC

SciJo wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
He really shoulda been though.

Spoiler:
Eh I think he would have become boring after a while. But then I dropped the show the episode before he died so I don't know the rest.
Anyway whether he should have been, he obviously wasn't. Like in the F/SN VN Archer or at least Rin should have been the main character (like in the demo) but no it was some other less interesting schmock.
PeteP
What the peck?

Postby Derek » Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
But Eren can hardly be the main character either if he's dead by episode 5.

I still don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he somehow lives, but this is the next closest thing to "seen the body".
Derek

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 06, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I still don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he somehow lives, but this is the next closest thing to "seen the body".

Spoiler:
Maybe, but they've built the character up quite a lot now. I just think it's unlikely that we've seen the last of him. So it's either "he has magical powers that allow him to survive being eaten", or "the remainder of this series is about his friends and family going on a roaring rampage of revenge".

But since he was already on a roaring rampage of revenge for his mum, it seems a bit redundant for the latter to be the case.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby PeteP » Mon May 06, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

I kinda wish I hadn't read the manga, I like speculating inbetween weekly episodes.
PeteP
What the peck?

Postby Derek » Mon May 06, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Maybe, but they've built the character up quite a lot now. I just think it's unlikely that we've seen the last of him. So it's either "he has magical powers that allow him to survive being eaten", or "the remainder of this series is about his friends and family going on a roaring rampage of revenge".

But since he was already on a roaring rampage of revenge for his mum, it seems a bit redundant for the latter to be the case.

Spoiler:
Hence the Gurren Lagann comparison. Kamina was built up specifically so you could be shocked at his death, and see how Simon reacted to it.

The alternative is that he rips his way out with one arm and one leg. Or Armin grows a pair of balls in the next ten seconds and saves him (still sans arm and leg)
Derek

Postby PeteP » Mon May 06, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Kamina was built up as an cool character, but Simon was obviously the main character, or was there ever a point where you would have thought that Kamina was the Main character?
PeteP
What the peck?

Postby Derek » Mon May 06, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I don't think it matters whether Eren was built up as a main character or not if he's dead. It would make him a decoy protagonist either way.

The important question is whether or not he's actually dead.
Derek

Postby PeteP » Sun May 12, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Gargantia
Spoiler:
Oh lol there really was a festival episode after the beach episode. Though it was mainly an excuse for half naked dancing.

Edit:
Date a live
Spoiler:
Out of boredom I watched a bit further today: Do you know what I find sad? She isn't human doesn't know the world very well and she didn't know what a date is. But then she goes through exactly the same cliche reaction and actions as a standerd human harem member. She makes him cookies, screams because he sees her naked, gets instantly jealous about hermit. That is one thing which annoys me about harem show, the priority isn't doing something interesting with the setting or characters, going through the appropriate harem anime scene always has priority.
Well not like harem animes are the only animes where everything that look human acts like a normal human except when it's funny or cute for them to act differently.
PeteP
What the peck?

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu May 23, 2013 11:16 am UTC

You guys are all in unnamed spoilers! :(

I thought Hentai Purinsu was fanservice, but it's actually much cuter than that. I just don't understand what they like about Yokodera (maybe the harem power?). This is a good break from watching Gundam Wing, which has more guys on it and I can't be pleased with that.

進撃の巨入 (Attack on Titan):
Spoiler:
I never expected they would be totally slaughtered in the first fight... and (maybe) pulling up a Kamina too. The manga readers had been hinting about the basement key and the "who told them to cut their napes". So far I'm so excited for the next episode.
Last edited by tastelikecoke on Fri May 24, 2013 8:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tastelikecoke

Postby Drumheller769 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Its ok, have a potatoe!
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
Drumheller769

Postby Derek » Thu May 23, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:進撃の巨入:
Spoiler:
I never expected they would be totally slaughtered in the first fight... and (maybe) pulling up a Kamina too. The manga readers had been hinting about the basement key and the "who told them to cut their napes". So far I'm so excited for the next episode.

Why would you put the show name in kanji? Most people can't tell what show you're talking about then. Fortunately I'm up to date with the anime, but if I wasn't I would have just been accidentally spoiled.
Derek

Postby PeteP » Thu May 23, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Titan manga spoiler
Spoiler:
I assume that the original version isn't far ahead of the manga. Manga readers don't know what is in the basement, because they stall dadn't go there. We know that it's important but nothing more.
PeteP
What the peck?

Postby Gelsamel » Fri May 24, 2013 7:44 am UTC

Yahari is really good. That is all.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri May 24, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Derek wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:進撃の巨入:
Spoiler:

Why would you put the show name in kanji? Most people can't tell what show you're talking about then. Fortunately I'm up to date with the anime, but if I wasn't I would have just been accidentally spoiled.

Because I want to make a pun.
tastelikecoke

Postby drego642 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:13 am UTC

Has anybody recommended Tenchi Muyo: GXP yet? That show is great! :mrgreen:

On a serious note, I have a LOAD of shows to watch/catch up on.. As soon as I pick my friend up from the airport this Tuesday, I am going to accost him to lend me his Outlaw Star DVD so I can finally finish my most nostalgic show from the original Toonami run, back when I was in elementary/middle school.

I could go on for pages with other anime I've promised myself or friends I'd start watching, but here's an abridged list:
Spoiler:
  • Wolf's Rain
  • Elfen Lied
  • Yu-Yu Hakusho (same situation as Outlaw Star, basically; I've only seen the first arc and some/most(?) of the second)
  • Come to think of it, throw Big O into that^ category as well.
  • Mirai Nikki (still need to finish the manga, too)
  • Wakfu (that awkward-looking franime I got into a few months back) is something I should continue watching again.
  • I still have not bitten into anything with the name Evangelion yet... Except for that time that a couple friends dragged me over to watch one of the movies... Eva: The [i]Other One...[/i]
  • Baccano
  • Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magika
  • And, once again for nostalgic pruposes: .hack//Sign

A week or two ago, I watched (actually watched, not just had on in the background) FLCL for the first time with some friends. So, needless to say I need to revisit that sometime...

I'm also currently watching the Soul Eater episodes on my friend's laptop which I'm borrowing indefinitely, all the way up until the episode that airs tonight on Toonami, just so I can finally get them under my belt. She's also got some others here I might check out: Cromartie High School, Deadman Wonderland, Gurren Lagan, and Durarara! I've heard good things about.
Last edited by drego642 on Sat May 25, 2013 6:18 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
drego642

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat May 25, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Mirai Nikki (still need to finish the manga, too)

Erm... skip that one.

There is plenty of awesome anime out this season that I'd have to recommend over your list actually (Attack on Titan, Gargantua on Virdulent Planet, and My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU). But for nostalgia's sake, I guess those animes are good and all...

But so much good stuff if you have missed out on the last 3 years or so. Madoka, Fate/Zero, Angel Beats...

I'm also currently watching the Soul Eater episodes on my friend's laptop which I'm borrowing indefinitely, all the way up until the episode that airs tonight on Toonami, just so I can finally get them under my belt. She's also got some others here I might check out: Cromartie High School, Deadman Wonderland, Gurren Lagan, and Durarara! I've heard good things about.

Gurren Lagan is an absolute must-see if you haven't seen it yet.

I preferred Baccano! over Durarara!... although I haven't seen all of Durarara! yet. I just found it harder to get into for some reason. They're written by the same guy and directed by the same guy... I just found Baccano easier to get into.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.
KnightExemplar

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows