Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:18 am UTC

Finished Kill la Kill.

I don't think it was quite as good as Gurren Lagan. But... it had a memorable characters in a plot that had some kind of conclusion... which makes it better than like... everything else I've seen for 2 years. :? :? :?
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:04 am UTC

I'm caught up in Aldnoah Zero (finished episode 5). I'm gonna have to say that the "plotholiness" is approximately that of Code Geass.

The battles and tactics are refreshingly well thought out. The last show that had decent "tactical thought" at this level was maybe Log Horizon. (No Game No Life was closer to YuGiOh "surprise" tactics). In particular, the formula of "establish an enemy", "analyze the enemy", and then "outsmart the enemy" hasn't been done in a while... and I enjoy it very much. The first fight was absolutely amazing from this perspective.

The politics however are very poorly thought out. The relationship between the Princess, the Emperor, the Knights... they're very vague. Unfortunately, there is also an important character (Slaine) whose entire plotline is dependent on the Marsian politics. (It was less of an issue in Code Geass, since Suzaku's relationship with the Britanians was so limited to begin with.)

Its just so easy to compare the show to Code Geass. I think there are an equal number of flaws... but the flaws in Code Geass were just covered up much better. In particular, the "politics" of Britania / Code Geass basically boiled down to "The Emperor is a Dick", and "Those other guys... yeah... they're red shirts who are going to die soon". It was crude and simple, but Code Geass was able to keep the focus on the drama between Suzaku, Lelouch, and those close in contact with them. For example, the "Jeremiah Gottwald" plotline where nobles were infighting turned into "Lulz Orange" rather quickly and got out of the way of the storyline (and made for a better story IMO).

However, there is something complicated going on in Aldnoah Zero: the Emperor is being tricked by someone, Knights are potentially rivals against each other... there's the assassination group on Earth (or potentially the remnants of them anyway). Slaine has some complicated relationship going on between everyone (he's looked down upon greatly, but is clearly from Earth and befriended the princess).

Spoiler:
Furthermore, I doubt they'll ever discuss the politics of the assassination attempt which established the plot. Are the Knights really that untrustworthy? If so, why does the Emperor in Episode 5 side with the Knights (after seemingly distrusting them early on)?


Basically, Aldnoah's problem is that it isn't focusing the drama very well. Or really... its just... Slaine's perspective which is confusing, not very well thought out and seemingly irrelevant. The unnecessary flip-flops of the Emperor do not help at all.

Otherwise, it seems like a good show. I'll be continuing it for sure... but I'm going to have to ignore the politics of it all for my sanity.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:00 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Spoiler:
Furthermore, I doubt they'll ever discuss the politics of the assassination attempt which established the plot. Are the Knights really that untrustworthy? If so, why does the Emperor in Episode 5 side with the Knights (after seemingly distrusting them early on)?


Aldnoah/Zero:
Spoiler:
Well Slaine is also an untrustworthy one since he killed an officer. The emperor would probably assume anything Slaine said is terran spy filth. I don't believe it is clear evidence for the Emperor to declare war though.
I'm still doubtful that the Count Cruhteo didn't know that the princess is alive.

I think the big hole is how they leave Slaine unsupervised despite being Terran spy filth. If they're allowed to spank him why not chain him?

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

Also the emperor could investigate for facts instead of discarding Slaine's claims are false. The plot seems to be based on people failing at communication.

But then I don't even understand why there was peace in the first place. That peace seemed to be based on nothing. Or maybe I was distracted when that was explained.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Also the emperor could investigate for facts instead of discarding Slaine's claims are false. The plot seems to be based on people failing at communication.

But then I don't even understand why there was peace in the first place. That peace seemed to be based on nothing. Or maybe I was distracted when that was explained.


I know right? It's not like believing dodgy intelligence and failing to properly investigate it has ever been used as an excuse to declare war in the real world or anything...

I think the reason there was a temporary peace was because someone accidentally (or not accidentally?) blew up the moon, and both sides were like "oh shit, maybe we took this a little too far".
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I know right? It's not like believing dodgy intelligence and failing to properly investigate it has ever been used as an excuse to declare war in the real world or anything...


That at best explains the Knights attack from episode 2 through 4. The single-episode 24-hour ceasefire however leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. The emperor knew something was up.

It was a flip-flop, a terrible one at that being a single episode (and within the universe) 24-hours at the tops. People don't decide to stop wars and restart them in such a short amount of time, especially when its their side that was breaking the ceasefire.

A friend of mine points out one more fact.

Spoiler:
The Princess is alive, but why is no one in her entire security detail was left with her? Her security team knew the double was a fake, and it seems very unlikely that her entire security detail would be wiped out in an attack against the false-princess. And why does the Princess rely on Terrain technology to contact her father? Does she not have any advance Martian way to contact them?


But hey, it leads to

Spoiler:
Princess with a gun. Who didn't like that scene?


Ignoring the martian politics makes the show much much better. Its a shame they focus so much time on it when its clearly not very well thought out. Again, its not like Code Geass politics made sense... but the advantage to Code Geass was that the politics of the Britanians were never analyzed to any degree... nor did their politics actually effect the storyline.

The show should focus on its strengths.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

The Martian emperor is ancient and confined to his bed. I pretty much wrote that off as him going a bit cuckoo in his old age. He had a moment of lucidity when he called the cease-fire, but after that, the knights took advantage of his grief and his fragile state of mind to convince him to change his mind. It wouldn't surprise me if they were even paying his doctor to keep the old man dosed up on drugs that make him suggestible.

But yeah, that's all speculation, and for now it's a pretty big plot hole that needs filling.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby PeteP » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

I lack the motivation to actually do what I did the last few season and check every first episode. Is there something I shouldn't miss this season otherwise I will just keep it to hxh ,jojo maybe nozaki-kun and maybe I will try tokyo ghoul I read the manga after all.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 pm UTC

I'm very much enjoying Zankyou No Terror. I'd recommend it. It's hard to describe, but it kinda reminds me of Death Note with the premise of the protagonists putting themselves against the world and toying with the police who want to stop them.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Derek
Posts: 2180
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:The Martian emperor is ancient and confined to his bed. I pretty much wrote that off as him going a bit cuckoo in his old age. He had a moment of lucidity when he called the cease-fire, but after that, the knights took advantage of his grief and his fragile state of mind to convince him to change his mind. It wouldn't surprise me if they were even paying his doctor to keep the old man dosed up on drugs that make him suggestible.

But yeah, that's all speculation, and for now it's a pretty big plot hole that needs filling.

Here is how I interpreted that scene: Upon hearing news of the event the emperor smelled something fishy and called a ceasefire to investigate. Meanwhile the traitor-knight has realized that Slaine was somehow involved in the mech pilot's death and that Slaine knows the truth. To save his own skin and get the war back on track he went to the emperor to tell him that the earthlings killed the princess, and that (predicting Slaine's actions) Slaine was going to come tell the emperor that the princess was alive. When Slaine makes his report, this confirms the traitor-knights story to the emperor, convincing him that Slaine is the traitor and the earthlings killed the princess, so the emperor resumes the war.

(I wish I could remember names in anime)

Basically, by acting first and correctly predicting Slaine's action, the traitor-knight is able to convince the emperor of the bigger lie. This is a plot development that I can fully accept.

SlyReaper wrote:I'm very much enjoying Zankyou No Terror. I'd recommend it. It's hard to describe, but it kinda reminds me of Death Note with the premise of the protagonists putting themselves against the world and toying with the police who want to stop them.

Zankyou no Terror is keeping me right on the edge of interested/not-interested. I may not be able to give it a final assessment until it's done. I'll second the comparison to Death Note though, when trying to describe it in my head "Death note without the supernatural" was the only thing I could come up with.

I'm still pretty pissed that the entire Tokyo police force couldn't Google search the answer to the riddle of the sphinx though. But the riddles since then have been better.

User avatar
kiniget
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am UTC
Location: the great northwest
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby kiniget » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:35 am UTC

Zankyou no Terror just switched gears. it's not a game between Sphinx and the police anymore, someone else has gotten involved and raised the stakes.
I really like the direction it's going now. If you aren't watching it already, now is the time to pick it up.

In other news, Tokyo Ghoul just did what I've been waiting for it to do for at least three episodes now and it's making me nervous
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:41 am UTC

Derek wrote:I'm still pretty pissed that the entire Tokyo police force couldn't Google search the answer to the riddle of the sphinx though. But the riddles since then have been better.


As I understand it they didn't (or that doesn't appear in the show) because several of them already knew that story.

I can't get myself interested in Tokyo Ghouls, but then I am reading the manga so I am quite spoilered with the story. Not used to doing that.

...

Ah just watched episode 6 after skipping a few; it was nice.

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:51 am UTC

Grop wrote:But then I don't even understand why there was peace in the first place. That peace seemed to be based on nothing. Or maybe I was distracted when that was explained.

I think despite most of the characters saying that the Martians think of them as insects, The Martians aren't really capable of defeating them. They have cool guns and barriers but they all have sciency counter-attacks. And since they want the precious blue water and blue skies of the Earth they wouldn't abuse nukes, so the only option they have is to fight the Terrans in an even humanoid mecha way. Peace is possible in this case.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:The Martian emperor is ancient and confined to his bed. I pretty much wrote that off as him going a bit cuckoo in his old age. He had a moment of lucidity when he called the cease-fire, but after that, the knights took advantage of his grief and his fragile state of mind to convince him to change his mind. It wouldn't surprise me if they were even paying his doctor to keep the old man dosed up on drugs that make him suggestible.

But yeah, that's all speculation, and for now it's a pretty big plot hole that needs filling.

Here is how I interpreted that scene: Upon hearing news of the event the emperor smelled something fishy and called a ceasefire to investigate. Meanwhile the traitor-knight has realized that Slaine was somehow involved in the mech pilot's death and that Slaine knows the truth. To save his own skin and get the war back on track he went to the emperor to tell him that the earthlings killed the princess, and that (predicting Slaine's actions) Slaine was going to come tell the emperor that the princess was alive. When Slaine makes his report, this confirms the traitor-knights story to the emperor, convincing him that Slaine is the traitor and the earthlings killed the princess, so the emperor resumes the war.

(I wish I could remember names in anime)

Basically, by acting first and correctly predicting Slaine's action, the traitor-knight is able to convince the emperor of the bigger lie. This is a plot development that I can fully accept.


The problem is that the show is using evidence that the princess is alive (direct report from the battlefield sir: I saw the princess. She was alive)... as evidence that the princess has died. (See? He "saw" the princess alive. That's proof that she's dead).

That... doesn't logically follow. No matter how you cut it. Its one of the most poorly thought out Xanatos Gambits that I've ever seen in the history of me watching anime, I kid you not. A Xanatos Gambit only works if the logic is sound. You can pull all sorts of intelligence shenanigans and draw knowledge from sources that don't freaking exist (ie: Light, L, Lelouch, etc. etc.). But the logic must be sound.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Derek
Posts: 2180
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:30 pm UTC

It makes sense to me:

"That filthy Earth scum Slaine is a Terran spy! He's going to try to blame the assassination on your loyal knights, and he's going to get you to stop the war by telling you that the princess is still alive. You must not listen to him, it's a Terran trap!"

Slaine: "The knights tried to kill the princess, but she's still alive!"

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

Making war because the other party has one spy is quite a light motive. There would be no peace in this world.

Derek
Posts: 2180
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Making war because the other party has one spy is quite a light motive. There would be no peace in this world.

No, they're making war because the other side assassinated their princess. "Proving" that Slaine is a spy is just to discredit him.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

Derek wrote:
Grop wrote:Making war because the other party has one spy is quite a light motive. There would be no peace in this world.

No, they're making war because the other side assassinated their princess. "Proving" that Slaine is a spy is just to discredit him.


*Sigh* Freaking Otakon panels. I get it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukden_Incident

The Mukden Incident, also known as the Manchurian Incident, was a staged event engineered by rogue Japanese military personnel as a pretext for the Japanese invasion of the northeastern part of China, known as Manchuria, in 1931


Believing that a conflict in Manchuria would be in the best interests of Japan, and acting in the spirit of the Japanese concept of gekokujo, Kwantung Army Colonel Seishirō Itagaki and Lieutenant Colonel Kanji Ishiwara independently devised a plan to prompt Japan to invade Manchuria by provoking an incident from Chinese forces stationed nearby. However, after the Japanese Minister of War Jirō Minami dispatched Major General Yoshitsugu Tatekawa to Manchuria for the specific purpose of curbing the insubordination and militarist behavior of the Kwantung Army, Itagaki and Ishiwara knew that they no longer had the luxury of waiting for the Chinese to respond to provocations but had to stage their own.


This is the event that started the Japanese invasion of China, which basically led to the Asian theater of World War 2. In today's context, it is clear that it doesn't make sense. But to the Japanese, some of them hold the view that everything there was clearly a historical wrong that their country committed long ago.

But its actually difficult to politically teach this event. The last time that this tried to come out in Anime was in Sora no Woto be, the episode that represented the Mukden Incident was censored from Japanese Television as late as 2010. They're still sorta denying the event in history... or at least, trying to forget it. (Episode 7 on the Mukden incident is only available on DVDs)

The Martian Emperor was stupid in Aldnoah Zero because the Japanese Emperor was stupid. Its political satire of the highest degree.

The American equivalent would be the same as learning that Pearl Harbor was a lie perpetrated by the US Government to garnish favor of World War 2. The Mukden Incident to Japan was a lie... a lie on behalf of (a small number) of Japanese Military members who explicitly wished for war to prove their dominance over the rest of the pathetic Asians. The absolute ruthlessness of the Martian Army represents the countless massacres and war-crimes that occurred across Asia during WW2. The Martians wear British uniforms as satire... the Martians in fact represent World War 2 era Japan.

This satirical technique is used in the play "The Mikado". Gilbert and Sullivan dress all their actors in Japanese wear so that it is easier to make fun of very serious events in British history. Its much easier to perform self-introspective criticism when half the audience doesn't actually "get" the fact that you're directly criticizing them.

Considering that Aldnoah Zero in fact aired in Japan without getting censored (unlike Sora no Woto be's 7th episode), the satire technique worked. Aldnoah Zero managed to get very harsh criticism over the Mukden Incident passed the Japanese Censors and air on TV.

So its supposed to be stupid. Its supposed to demonstrate that the Emperor in WW2 was an idiot. They're criticizing the Japanese Emperor's actions during World War 2. And the whole British uniforms in space is just a trick they're employing to get passed the censors.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:24 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:*Sigh* Freaking Otakon panels. I get it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukden_Incident

That does explain lots of things. Honestly, I think most real life wars have logically inconsistent plots, so these sort of plot holes are not that unrealistic especially if we're talking about decisions made by an authority (e.g. "Let's go to the moon because it's cool to go to the moon" or "We sell you this country for $20m")

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:*Sigh* Freaking Otakon panels. I get it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukden_Incident

That does explain lots of things. Honestly, I think most real life wars have logically inconsistent plots, so these sort of plot holes are not that unrealistic especially if we're talking about decisions made by an authority (e.g. "Let's go to the moon because it's cool to go to the moon" or "We sell you this country for $20m")


Nukes were invented before rockets. Up until Sputnik, the assumption was that someone was going to fly the bomb over your country. So an active air-force was all you needed to prevent a nuclear attack. Then Sputnik came out, and the Russians proved that they can shoot a rocket from Russia and make it land anywhere in the world. ICBMs would basically be impossible to stop with a standard air force, and the space race began.

Going to the Moon specifically was proving that we can drop a nuke on the Moon if we really wanted to. It was a show of military and technological force without directly attacking the USSR.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Nukes were invented before rockets.


While your point may stand, that fact is not true. London was bombed with rockets in 1944.

Derek
Posts: 2180
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:27 pm UTC

Well strictly speaking rockets were invented in medieval China. But assuming he meant ICBM, then his statement is correct. The first ICBMs were tested in the 50's, the V-2 had a much more limited range.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:06 pm UTC

Grop wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:Nukes were invented before rockets.


While your point may stand, that fact is not true. London was bombed with rockets in 1944.


I'm talking about the kinds of rockets that can't be shot down by a standard air force: the ICBM.

Derek wrote:Well strictly speaking rockets were invented in medieval China. But assuming he meant ICBM, then his statement is correct. The first ICBMs were tested in the 50's, the V-2 had a much more limited range.


And an air force can just shoot down the V2s because they moved slowly. ICBMs move at 5 to 7 miles per second, and were the direct military application of the Space Rocket.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Derek
Posts: 2180
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:14 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:And an air force can just shoot down the V2s because they moved slowly. ICBMs move at 5 to 7 miles per second, and were the direct military application of the Space Rocket.

Modern anti-missile systems could shoot down a V-2, maybe, but the technology of the 40's and 50's could not without extraordinary luck. The V-2 was the first man-made object to reach space, so it was far too high to intercept, and it re-entered at three times the speed of sound. The only V-2 ever shot down was during launch.

However the range of the V-2 was only a few hundred miles, so it was not an ICBM and could not travel from the US to Russia or vice-versa.

You may be thinking of the V-1, which was a cruise missile (also the first) and traveled at less than the speed of sound, so it could be intercepted by fast fighters.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:57 am UTC

Yes. I got V2 vs V1 mixed up.

I didn't realize that the V2 went so fast.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:54 am UTC

Holy Crap. Wolf Children was depressing.

You see a woman holding onto two little wolf kids and think "Awwww.... adorable". You check its rating and its all "PG"... so you think its going to be a happy-go-lucky kids movie or something. Then you watch the damn thing... I mean, damn it. Right in the feels. The characters are frankly too real, and hit somewhat of an uncomfortable spot for me.

I mean, there's anime drama and all that stuff. And then there's like... lets have a cold-hard smack of reality hit you in the face.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:05 am UTC

I recommend people take a look at this and back it if you're interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... er-the-dog

It's easily possible this won't make the target if more people don't fund it...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:51 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I recommend people take a look at this and back it if you're interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... er-the-dog

It's easily possible this won't make the target if more people don't fund it...


There was some talk at Otakon about this. I didn't know it was on Kickstarter (then again, I missed the panel).

-------------

In other news, Tower of Druaga is... actually pretty good. I just finished "The Aegis of Uruk". I'm wondering if "The Sword of Uruk" (episodes 13 through 26) are any good as well. It has a very "Dungeons and Dragons" feel to the whole thing.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6783
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby sardia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

I didn't think anyone else watched that show. Especially given how long ago it aired. I didn't like the second season as much. I still finished it though. Iirc, it wasn't popular and was considered average.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:59 am UTC

sardia wrote:I didn't think anyone else watched that show. Especially given how long ago it aired. I didn't like the second season as much. I still finished it though. Iirc, it wasn't popular and was considered average.


Huh, watched two episodes of the 2nd season and I already feel like dropping it.

A shame. I'm probably going to finish it anyway just for closure, but it doesn't have the humor, plot or satire that made the first season so good. At least... not yet.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
sardia wrote:I didn't think anyone else watched that show. Especially given how long ago it aired. I didn't like the second season as much. I still finished it though. Iirc, it wasn't popular and was considered average.


Huh, watched two episodes of the 2nd season and I already feel like dropping it.

A shame. I'm probably going to finish it anyway just for closure, but it doesn't have the humor, plot or satire that made the first season so good. At least... not yet.


Actually, 2nd season eventually delivered what I hoped it would. It just didn't start out very strong IMO.

All jokes from the first episode get hit. The 4 Knights of Druaga, "I am your father", "lets get married", the ridiculous number of betrayals that the "Black Knight" does...

Druaga Spoilers, as I attempt to explain how the 1st episode all matters.

Spoiler:
* It turns out Kaya is the princess and the avatar of the goddess the whole time, so Gill really did meet the princess and was blessed by the goddess since the beginning.
* Gilgamesh gives his legendary sword for free to Gill (Kaya specifically, but yes, Gill ends up wielding it).
* The sibling rivalry fight ends up being the point of the entire show.
* Pizuzu is declared to be an early rival (aka the Black Knight), and confirmed to be dangerous as he kills Kalley. Just on schedule too, before any major fights happen.
** Kalley's purpose in the tower is ret-conned in the next episode. "He just wanted to save his village from poverty". Similarly, Utu's fake death in episode 1 was an obvious ret-con.
* Ame talks about marriage during the episode she dies
*** Much much later (like, episode 25 or 26) Utu proposes marriage to Fatina... because he doesn't know if he'll survive the last fight.
* While Pizuzu is killed by episode 12 or so, his daughter Henaro infiltrates the party and serves as the role of "the rival". Just on schedule, she backstabs one of the bosses to save Gill's life right before she is killed mercilessly.
* Dragon fight happened right on schedule.
* Red Knight, Azure Knight, Mirror Knight, and Hyper Knight end up being awesome mid-bosses for the series. After defeating / mind-controlling them, they end up being the key to the top of the tower just like in the 1st episode.
* Utu / Fatina / Melt are left behind as Gill goes off to fight the final fight.
* Love triangle between Kaya / Gill / Fatina kicks into full gear right before the final battle.
** Thank goodness they didn't actually focus on love triangle drama. Unless a love triangle is done very well or in a unique manner (ie: DNAngel), I generally find them annoying.
* I am your father is satisfied by Gilgamesh as the penultimate boss: the Grandfather of Kaya.
** Neeba is the ultimate boss satisfies it as well, as Neeba is still a blood-relative (brother) of Gil. There was a moderate amount of drama brought up on whether or not Gill was ready to kill his brother before the final fight.
* Who the hell is the innkeeper!?!??! is in fact satisfied by Neeba's mysterious mentor... who saves Gill and is later slain offscreen by Neeba.
* Power of friendship hug saves Gill before he falls out of the tower. Requires all of Gills (still alive) friends to pull him to safety. It ends up not mattering for the final battle, but they still needed something to reference the 1st episode.


Seriously, the entire first episode is a giant spoiler for the series. And it was glorious.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

cntrational
This guy's name is a utter lie.
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:36 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby cntrational » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:09 am UTC

Marathon finished Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Incredible.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

Fucking seriously? 15-year anniversary of Digimon is coming up. Am I really that old now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVnqtcBcsPo

A new digimon season is coming up for the 15-year anniversary. Spring 2015.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby PeteP » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:16 pm UTC

I must say I really Gekkan Shojou Nozaki-kun. I can't quite what I like about the humour, but it really works for me.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby ConMan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:I must say I really Gekkan Shojou Nozaki-kun. I can't quite what I like about the humour, but it really works for me.

Yes. This. The really funny thing is that pretty much every set-up in the show is about what I *don't* like about romantic comedy series, but the fact that they're using it for 4-koma-style comedy makes it work. I think the "day off" episode was one of the best so far, and the "rainy day" one not so good, but it still had some great moments. And this week's episode also hit all the right notes.

Like other gag-based series, though, I'm worried that at some point they'll just fall into going through the motions. I rather hope that they cut it off before then, or even better wrap a few things up (even if it goes against the nature of most of the show).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:22 am UTC

Hey hey hey!




Edit: I was just reading some of the observations that people had compiled about Sora no Woto here (Huge Spoilers): http://infinitemirai.wordpress.com/2013 ... a-no-woto/ (Don't ask me about the prologue bit). And I've always loved it and thought it was a masterpiece but I now appreciate it a hundred times more. It is just so unbelievably fucking good.
Last edited by Gelsamel on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:04 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I was just reading some of the observations that people had compiled about Sora no Woto here: http://infinitemirai.wordpress.com/2013 ... a-no-woto/ (Don't ask me about the prologue bit). And I've always loved it and thought it was a masterpiece but I now appreciate it a hundred times more. It is just so unbelievably fucking good.


I'm drawn to it right now for totally different reasons. (I need... trumpet-sync... for an AMV project). There was a bugle on the cover, and the first few minutes definitely had the main character polishing the bugle. I presume it is used at some point in the anime. :wink:

So you think its totally worth a watch?

Nonon has trumpets follow her around in a few Kill-la-Kill episodes. But the DVDs for Kill-la-Kill are ANIPLEX expensive. Sora no Woto is like $30 for the entire thing so... :D :D
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:20 pm UTC

It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest anime ever. Hopefully you weren't spoiled by my link.

It would also be remiss to not include it in an AMV with trumpet sync in it.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:12 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest anime ever. Hopefully you weren't spoiled by my link.


Well, I know its supposed to be the greatest WW2 anime of all time. I learned about it at Otakon this year, so I don't really know how spoiled I am. Anyway, sounds good, I'll give it a shot and probably buy it for the Trumpet scenes alone.

--------

As for my personal anime watch list... "Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions" ended up being more charming than I thought it would be. I just finished the first season (I seriously doubt the 2nd season would be worth it. The story was very well wrapped up). I'm going to do as non-spoilery a review as possible here. I'm limiting my review to reference things that happen within the first 2 episodes.

Spoiler:
From a shallow perspective, Chunibyo seems like just another high school anime primarily about making references to video games or other animes. But somehow, it managed to strike a chord with me; it touched upon something deeper that rings true to my heart.

Have you ever had delusions when growing up? What was that precise moment when you decided to give up your delusions of grandeur and decide to "become an adult" (perhaps without understanding what adulthood really means)? Chunibyo touches upon this feeling... almost like a modern Peter Pan story... where ultimately you grow up to leave your silly childish thoughts, fantasies, and delusions behind. I'm sure everyone has had that moment: when you finally decide "Santa Claus is not real"... or whatever other delusions you had as a youngster.

Yuta is just that character. He is a high school student who held on to his "Chunibyo" throughout middle school. He'd greet his classmates as "The Dark Flame Master" and ask girls out using his "Powers of Darkness". Needless to say, he was chastised and forced to be a loner due to his quirks. But as the anime starts, Yuta moves far away to a new High School, which allows him to reset his life. Yuta plans to be a normal person through high school. But as fate would have it, Rikka (the female lead) has significant Chunibyo delusions of her own (Minor Spoiler: Two minute clip from Episode 2). Rikka, within her world, is the Wicked Eye Shingan searching for the invisible line boundaries. Learning of Yuta's powers as the "Dark Flame Master", she recruits him to help her on her "journey".

Of course, Yuta has already "grown up". He's given up pretending to be the "Dark Flame Master" and most definitely doesn't want to return to that silliness. Thus starts the drama. Now, despite the fantasy world occurring inside of the mind of Rikka, the anime retains a solid ground on what is reality and what is fantasy. In particular the play between harsh realities and pleasant fantasies forms the cornerstone of the story.

What kind of story? Well... a little bit of everything. Good action shots exist within the world of fantasy and are honestly a lot of fun to watch (see the youtube link above). Comedy forms the basis of the beginning half of the story, and is filled with anime shout-outs, rom-com moments and light-hearted high school drama. For me at least, the comedy was a solid draw to the series. As the show progresses, drama takes over to form the main course of the show. IMO, the drama "keeps it real", and the characters choices seem quite logical based on their personalities. Honestly, the story told here touched upon my feelings and I truly felt connected with the characters.

Is this the best drama since Anohana or Wolf Children? No, I wouldn't really compare it to a pure drama shows like that. Instead, I think "Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions" is an anime that is greater than the sum of its parts. If I were to compare it to another show... I'd compare it to "Angel Beats", or "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU", other shows which seem to be "jack of all trades" built around school drama core. Chunibyo however was much more consistent than "Angel Beats" and "SNAFU", granting Chunibyo 8.5/10 on my scale.

I can solidly recommend this show.

Genre: Slice-of-Life School Drama RomCom. Why are there so many of these in anime? Still, Chunibyo is one of the best Slice-of-life RomCom School Dramas I've ever seen, and is probably worth a watch even for those who aren't into this genre.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:38 am UTC

Not sure if you're joking or not but Sora no Woto isn't set during WW2.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 12 guests