Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KnightExemplar

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:37 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Not sure if you're joking or not but Sora no Woto isn't set during WW2.

Well... I noticed that its in a fictional city set in a dystopian future when I started watching it. So... yeah, its not set "in WW2".

At Otakon, there was a panel called "WW2 in Anime", where the panelist discussed lots of shows: Hitalia, Grave of the Fireflies, The Wind Rises, Kantai Collection, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Space Battleship Yamato, Girls und Panzer, Strike Witches, etc. etc. So the panel wasn't about animes about WW2... but more about animes that reference WW2. Be it tanks, ships, planes... if an anime makes a WW2 reference he tried to mention it. (Even Hellsing Ultimate with Nazi Zombies and Black Lagoon's Neo Nazis made the list).

But of all the animes he mentioned, he tried to recommend Sora no Woto the most. Apparently various uniforms of characters reference the country that they're emulating... or something like that.

Based on the two episodes I've seen, its more of a feel good anime with focus on music and art to entertain the audience. The soundtrack is downright amazing and a huge amount of effort was placed towards animating backgrounds.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:05 pm UTC

Sora no Woto has a lot to say about war in general, but it does visually reference uniforms/tanks/weapons etc.

That being said, and without going to much into it, it isn't really a distopian future and as far as I can tell their uniforms don't really suggest what country they're emulating at all.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Sora no Woto has a lot to say about war in general, but it does visually reference uniforms/tanks/weapons etc.

That being said, and without going to much into it, it isn't really a distopian future and as far as I can tell their uniforms don't really suggest what country they're emulating at all.

It doesn't seem like a distopian future because Kanata is so damn optimistic about everything. But all the side remarks...

Spoiler:
If its not dystopian, then its at least post-apocalyptic. Something bad happened, and the world's technology has regressed significantly. The War Tank has advanced electronics, but people get water with hand-pumps and live in the ruins of society. (Their fort is literally built on top of a broken down school building).

As of episode 4, the setting has demonstrated a dwindling population, regressed technology and mass extinction. These are typical of dystopian stories.

The show is putting a pretty face on everything, but something is most definitely wrong with the world. I'm hoping they go into it later.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:44 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:Sora no Woto has a lot to say about war in general, but it does visually reference uniforms/tanks/weapons etc.

It doesn't seem like a distopian future because Kanata is so damn optimistic about everything. But all the side remarks...

Spoiler:
If its not dystopian, then its at least post-apocalyptic. Something bad happened, and the world's technology has regressed significantly. The War Tank has advanced electronics, but people get water with hand-pumps and live in the ruins of society. (Their fort is literally built on top of a broken down school building).

As of episode 4, the setting has demonstrated a dwindling population, regressed technology and mass extinction. These are typical of dystopian stories.

The show is putting a pretty face on everything, but something is most definitely wrong with the world. I'm hoping they go into it later.

Spoiler:
It's not post-Apocalyptic, it is post-post-Apocalyptic. Dystopian futures, to me, mean that everything is shit. Government oppresses everyone, poor living conditions everywhere, no one is happy, etc. Google gives a definition of "an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one." which is generally what I think when someone says Dystopian. Sora no Woto isn't dystopian, some things are bad, but it's not an 'everything is unpleasant or bad' place.

Well, if you consider it Dystopian then I would just say that that is a very broad interpretation of dystopia.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 am UTC

Fair enough. Post-Apocalyptic doesn't necessarily entail dystopian. But I sorta assumed the show would be going in that direction (maybe).

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:13 am UTC

Finished Soranowoto. Its good enough that I'm moving forward with the purchase (plus its got several good trumpet scenes for that AMV). I really don't know what that guy at Otakon was talking about, it isn't really a WW2 anime at all. :roll: :roll:

Unfortunately, its not really a genre of anime that I find especially interesting, but I understand why its a solid title for a lot of people. Honestly, the anime would have been a lot better if so many people weren't telling me what to expect... especially since those who like Sora no Woto seem to proclaim their fanhood greatly. (Not really around here... but there were a lot of reviews across the internet that just... weren't good to read before watching the show).

Mainly because I'm pissed off at all the reviews on Reddit / various other websites, here's my attempt at a review of Sora no Woto.

--------------

Sora no Woto is a feel-good anime. Its a short 13-episode episodic tale that tries to leave you smiling by the end of each episode. There's only a touch of drama, and certainly no long-term deep philosophical conundrums that afflict the characters through the whole series. Challenges are often resolved within an episode.

What ties the 13-episodes together is a world building exercise built out of dialogue. As such, this show is IMO easily spoiled, which is why I'm being purposefully vague in my description of Sora no Woto. Unlike a lot of other animes I talk about, I honestly don't think there is much for me to say. This honestly is an anime that is best served cold, without any expectations going in. Furthermore, it is an incredibly consistent anime, so after watching a single episode, you will have a good feel of the show and whether or not you'd like it... although I do suggest watching at least the 2nd episode as well before judging.

If you do end up reading other reviews or speculation regarding the show, I suggest that you lower your expectations. True, this show has some very clear artistic, musical, cultural, and historical references that helps draw the audience into the world building. However, I felt that these references were embellishments to the core plot... while many on the internet seem to think that these cultural references are the point of the show. (Case in point: WW2 expert at Otakon believing the show was about WW2).

Overall, the show hits a 7.5/10 rating for me. This show is not without its flaws, but the solid art, music, and environment of the show generates a niche feel that evokes relaxing happiness. The moe art style does a good job at projecting the feel of the show, so trust your instincts. Those looking for action or drama, look somewhere else. Despite the soldier motif, this is ultimately a show about happy thoughts.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:09 am UTC

anyone have any thoughts on Terra Formars?
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:57 am UTC

Been annoyed by useless darkness and cruelty. And these scenes when you see nothing but blur. And noticed nothing original (well I was amused by the idea of hostile Martian moths created by man for pragmatic reasons).

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Been annoyed by useless darkness and cruelty. And these scenes when you see nothing but blur. And noticed nothing original (well I was amused by the idea of hostile Martian moths created by man for pragmatic reasons).

You mean the censoring? It'll go away in the blurays, if they come out at all.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

I'm having fun with how silly the story is and how seriously it takes itself, but yeah, it could easily become another M3
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

cntrational wrote:Marathon finished Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Incredible.

I have watched a few episodes after you said that, and I realy like this series.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:51 pm UTC

I read the beginning of Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio today. They beat two battleships and other countries congratulated them and you could see messages in different languages on a scree. The german one was: "Ich überprüfte einen japanischen Kampf. Ich bin wirklich herrlich!" = "I checked a japanese fight. I am truly glorious!"
Miss used languages can be quite funny.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:06 am UTC

well Terra Formars just proved itself to be in the M3 genre of "needlessly gory and violent with a laughably stupid plot"

I'm gonna give it one more episode to either become less stupid or more funny
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:13 pm UTC

The Fall animes have kicked off, with Fate / Stay Unlimited Blade Works having a one-hour special "Episode 0"... and rumors are that the next episode is also going to be an hour long special. Since the storyline of Fate/Stay is so tight, I'm going to wait a few weeks so that I can binge-watch it.

Log Horizon 2 is also beginning. "Database" is still the intro song, but damn, it looks like a huge number of characters are going to be introduced.

Spoiler:
It looks like Akihabara / The Round Table is going to need ALL the money. Actually, Shiroe has explicitly said that all the money isn't enough. Lol. $80 Trillion.

I remember Chaika 2 was supposed to come out as well. Looks like that comes out on Oct 8.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

It's a straight animation of the visual novel UBW route. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. e.g. Viewers complained that the landscape backgrounds were in the wrong season since it's suppose to be set in January. Turns out it was an exact reproduction of the VN that also had the wrong background season.
I loved the prologue in both the anime and the visual novel, but then it reminds me that I hate Shiro. So that means the next few episodes are gonna suck for me. aka, Shiro being sexist.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:08 pm UTC

sardia wrote:It's a straight animation of the visual novel UBW route. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. e.g. Viewers complained that the landscape backgrounds were in the wrong season since it's suppose to be set in January. Turns out it was an exact reproduction of the VN that also had the wrong background season.
I loved the prologue in both the anime and the visual novel, but then it reminds me that I hate Shiro. So that means the next few episodes are gonna suck for me. aka, Shiro being sexist.

Yeah I am not a Shiro fan either. (Rin+Archer would have made a better main character combo imo.)
Spoiler:
I always have trouble imagining Shiro turning into Archer the personality doesn't really seem to fit, but well I suppose there are many years between the two.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:17 am UTC

sardia wrote:It's a straight animation of the visual novel UBW route. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. e.g. Viewers complained that the landscape backgrounds were in the wrong season since it's suppose to be set in January. Turns out it was an exact reproduction of the VN that also had the wrong background season.

I've heard people complaining about the Gae Bolg scene though (charging up my laser vs the sudden feeling of death representations). But so far I've found it to be awesome. I guess I just love ufotable.

Also I've never been big on Rin but after episode 0 I've come to like her a lot more, the episode was really endearing.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:59 am UTC

Shingeki no Bahamut doesn't look bad. CG is obviously CG but it looks decent and is used for monsters where it works. Main Character has potential to be entertaining though there is a chance he will be annoying instead if they mess up. Anyway I intend to watch it if the first epi is any indication.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:54 am UTC

It seems Psycho Pass series 2 is airing. Please excuse me while I get my daily fix of cyberpunk awesomeness.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:12 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:It seems Psycho Pass series 2 is airing. Please excuse me while I get my daily fix of cyberpunk awesomeness.

It took me a while before I figured out who the new chick was. I had to look up her name to be sure.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

I haven't looked it up, but I'm guessing she was the newbie that appeared right at the end of the final episode of season 1? I'm not convinced by her attitude of "enforcers are expendable scumbags" and "the system says kill him so just kill him". It's almost like she exists purely to make Akane look like a saint.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

Shingeki no Bahamut - the MC is not the nicest person^^
Spoiler:
Plotting to stab her. Tipping of the knights. I like it!

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

Hello Anime Thread of Doom! I am looking for recommendations, and I know about the picture in the OP, so kindly don't send me there.

I am a huge fan of Kokoro Connect and Angel Beats! They both had a very good mix of fun and intensity mixed effortlessly. I already looked through the thread and saw Angel Beats! associated with Ano Hara and Chunibyo, so I'll look those up, but are there any more?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:27 pm UTC

I'll let others get into the recs but that reminds me... this thread desperately needs to be updated. Any ideas for title/first post?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Hello Anime Thread of Doom! I am looking for recommendations, and I know about the picture in the OP, so kindly don't send me there.

I am a huge fan of Kokoro Connect and Angel Beats! They both had a very good mix of fun and intensity mixed effortlessly. I already looked through the thread and saw Angel Beats! associated with Ano Hara and Chunibyo, so I'll look those up, but are there any more?

Many, depending on how similar you're looking. (Also, it's Ano Hana, not Hara, in case you have trouble finding it.) Do we get to play anime sommelier today then?

I guess we could start with something like Haruhi (that is, "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"), except that I think it's just ok as a show. There are a few other shows that cover similar ground, but unlike Kokoro Connect they tend to approach more mature topics in a much less mature manner (one of my favourite things about Kokoro Connect was that the characters seemed to have actual depth to them in the way they reacted to Heartseed's various machinations - another was that it avoided a lot of the annoying tropes that permeate whole sectors of modern anime). On the more whimsical side, I could suggest "Humanity Has Declined" (or "Mankind Has Declined" depending on translation, original title "Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita") - humanity seems to be on the verge of dying out, and now lives its twilight years in a more traditional agrarian style, while the new race of humanity - or "fairies" - are filling the world with their amazing creations (that they can apparently make out of practically nothing overnight). The show follows a nameless female researcher who gets caught up in a series of silly adventures with the fairies.

Or "The World is Still Beautiful" ("Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii"). The youngest princess of the Rain Kingdom has been sent to be the bride of the Sun King, who really just wanted to see what the deal was with their rain magic. While it is occasionally a bit rom-com (and also hits a few sour notes about halfway through), the two main characters settle their relationship to a decent degree by the end of the first arc, and it doesn't just follow the pattern of "they claim they don't like each other, but then get jealous when the other is talking to someone else, and then they reconcile but still claim they don't like each other". There's also a bit of nice world-building in it, and a nice song you'll hear bits of once every story arc.

On the more serious side, it's hard to go past Mushishi. It's episodic, so there's no real overarching plot, except in a few episodes that tell some of Ginko's backstory and a few others that have common characters. Each story is usually about how someone is affected by one of the mysterious lifeforms known as Mushi, often with Ginko helping cure them of a Mushi-related affliction, but rarely without some amount of sacrifice. It's like a bunch of fairy stories, but the old-fashioned ones where the children who go into the woods don't necessarily come out safe and sound at the end. The episodes range from "fairly soothing and everything works out ok-ish" to "creepy and melancholic and things definitely don't work out ok" but there are generally a few moments of whimsy and fun in there too.

I guess these are all a bit more fantasy-themed than you were possibly looking for. Unfortunately, other than Kokoro Connect and Chuunibyou I've kind of soured on the "high school students plus supernatural stuff happens" genre a bit because of its overreliance on tropes. I am giving "Inou-batoru wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de" (aka "When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace"), which is just starting to air, a try, although the first episode did tick off a few boxes that give me concern (single male character surrounded by females, at least one of whom is sympathetic to him but tends to show it in blunt ways, he's a chuunibyou) and so help me if they bring in a transfer student.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:59 pm UTC

And I thought you (Gelsamel, because ConMan posted before me) would suggest Sora Woto, which may fit what Unique is looking for.

I am not sure I have finished exploiting the ideas in op, but that was certainly useful.

Unique, at about the same time Kokoro Connect was being aired, there was that show named Hyouka, which was quite funny because of high intensity on trivial things.
Last edited by Grop on Fri May 01, 2015 1:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:50 pm UTC

Hyouka, yes! That is a suggestion the internet gave me. I can only find it on Youtube atm, but its 360p, so I'd like a quality that won't assault my eyes. I saw the first episode of Mushishi before, and I wasn't impressed, but with your suggestion I'll give it another shot. And thanks for the correction. Thanks and keep 'em coming.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:52 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I already looked through the thread and saw Angel Beats! associated with Ano Hara and Chunibyo, so I'll look those up, but are there any more?

AnoHana is too different from those other two. Aside from the fact that its about "high schoolers doing anime things", its actually quite different.

Actually scratch that, outside of the "Hikkomori" trope (which... wasn't even "tropey", it was a realistic look on why Jintan closes himself to the world...), AnoHana doesn't feel like your normal anime. Its quite a serious show... with some serious drama that afflicts the entire cast. Its good, but its... not like Angel Beats! at all.

Angel Beats! and Chunibyo are both light hearted takes on the high-school drama setup. Chunibyo takes itself much more seriously than Angel Beats! however, but its still solid on the "fun" part.

A show I'd compare closer to Angel Beats! is Nanana's Buried Treasure. Its a fun show that never takes itself too seriously (and if there is drama, it is usually resolved within 15 minutes or by the end of the episode)... although honestly, Chunibyo and AnoHana were IMO better shows overall.

I can see someone who liked "Angel Beats!" preferring less serious shows however. Nanana's Buried Treasure is certainly non-serious, and I enjoyed it from that perspective.

Grop wrote:And I thought you (Gelsamel, because ConMan posted before me) would suggest Sora Woto, which may fit what Unique is looking for.

Sora no Woto is absolutely unique. I can't say there are very many anime quite like it. But I wouldn't really put it as "fun" anime (especially when compared to Chunibyo or Angel Beats!).

Sora no Woto is "Pleasant". It plays straight the whole way through, without the tongue in cheek self-referential 4th wall breaking humor that is in the other animes listed thus far.

-----------------------------------

I guess we could start with something like Haruhi (that is, "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"), except that I think it's just ok as a show.

Haruhi is a good show, but I think it is overrated. It is a must-see for anime culture however, so it should be on everyone's recommend list. Haruhi is one of those anime that everyone else has seen, and honestly it started the trend of 4th wall breaking self-referential anime.

In fact, Yuri from Angel Beats looks a hell of a lot like the lead character "Haruhi" from "The Melancholy of Haruhi". Otonashi plays a similar role to Kyon

Personally, I enjoyed "Angel Beats!" more than Haruhi, but because of the influence that Haruhi has had in anime-culture in general... it seriously is a must watch anime.

-----------------------

I'm going to branch out. So you want an anime with a solid good time? Are you willing to see a metric ton of bloodshed?

I'm going to recommend "Baccano!". The plot is basically "crazy epic people meet on a train during the 1920s and wtf just happened" for ~13 episodes. (followed by a few very crappy OVA episodes)

I'd argue that Baccano! is the "Pulp Fiction" of anime.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:06 am UTC

I suspect that Haruhi is one of those shows that was really new and different when it came out, and that's what made it so popular, but now that everyone has copied and borrowed from it it doesn't stand out quite so much. In other words, Seinfeld is Unfunny. I have similar feelings about the original Evangelion. I second watching it anyways, for the cultural value.

Disappearance was really good though.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:13 am UTC

Derek wrote:I suspect that Haruhi is one of those shows that was really new and different when it came out, and that's what made it so popular, but now that everyone has copied and borrowed from it it doesn't stand out quite so much. In other words, Seinfeld is Unfunny. I have similar feelings about the original Evangelion. I second watching it anyways, for the cultural value.

True, except that I wasn't particularly excited by it when I first saw it despite having not seen any of the shows it presumably inspired. Like I said, I thought it was ok, but it didn't really seem that new or different.
Spoiler:
Certainly the unique chronology of episodes was neat, but not hard to follow, and by half-way through I kind of knew how the series was going to resolve anyway.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:25 am UTC

I also saw Haruhi back when it was fresh. Its one of the most famous anime of the 2000s decade. But honestly, I enjoyed Angel Beats! more, even if Angel Beats was clearly copying a few stuff from Haruhi.

But again, Anime Culture. So many people love that show, it'd be a shame to miss it. It certainly ranks very high in "Anime Culture", along with Neon Genesis Evangeleon, Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagaan, and Madoka Magika.

Derek wrote:Disappearance was really good though.

I'll put that on my todo list. Anime Movies (based on a series) often aren't very good, so I don't pursue them. Also, I was one of the few who watched the entirety of "The Endless Eight" arc and was somewhat disappointed by Haruhi by the end of it.

Which reminds me... watch the first season of Haruhi. If you do enjoy the show, watch the first episode, skip the endless eight, and then watch the last 5 episodes of the 2nd season.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:05 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Derek wrote:Disappearance was really good though.

I'll put that on my todo list. Anime Movies (based on a series) often aren't very good, so I don't pursue them.

It covers another volume of the light novels, it's just like another five or six episode arc, but without interruptions. Except it's probably the best of all the arcs that have been animated.

Also, I was one of the few who watched the entirety of "The Endless Eight" arc and was somewhat disappointed by Haruhi by the end of it.

Ouch. Yeah, I think I only watched the first two and the last of Endless Eight, and there was a two year gap in there because I originally dropped the second season after the start of Endless Eight.

On other subjects:

I finished Aldnoah.Zero.
Spoiler:
The ending really took me by surprise. I suppose I should have expected it with Urobuchi, but I didn't think they would make it that far just to be shot dead like that. Overall I had some issues with the series, I never really like the Marty Stu main character, and I was very confused about Slaine's motivations towards the end (Who did he think he was fighting? Why?), but after that ending I'm really interested in seeing what they do in the second season.

I watched the first two episodes of Cross Ange. I wasn't expecting anything out of this, but it actually looks really interesting now. I'll keep watching it and see where it goes.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:51 am UTC

I don't mind less serious stuff or more serious stuff. All the anime I have seen the entirety of: Trigun, Darker than Black, Ryusei no Gemini, Clannad, After Story, Another, Dark Side Cat, Working!, and Servant X Service, plus of course Kokoro Connect and Angel Beats! The supernatural aspect is not necessary. I'm moreso looking for depth.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

Wow, that's missing so many "staples" of anime culture. I generally go to a convention, see what people are cosplaying as and then watch that next anime.

I'm talking about Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, Code Geass, Gurren Lagaan, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Fate / Zero (prequel to Fate / Stay Night), Madoka Magika, Attack on Titan, Azumanga Diaoh, Lucky Star, Nichijou, and Haruhi.

Of those, Madoka Magika, the Fate series (Fate/Zero especially), Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Gurren Lagaan, and Death Note are especially good IMO. All deserve a watch.

But for the most part, these super-popular anime got super-popular because they were amongst the best anime when they came out. Its probably not worth it for you to invest into the 500+ episode long series (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece), but the other ones are short enough... and make it easy to catch up with what everyone is cosplaying as at anime conventions.

UniqueScreenname wrote:All the anime I have seen the entirety of: Trigun, Darker than Black, Ryusei no Gemini, Clannad, After Story, Another, Dark Side Cat, Working!, and Servant X Service, plus of course Kokoro Connect and Angel Beats!

And... I've only seen like 2 of those :-(. I've heard good things from them however.

UniqueScreenname wrote:I'm moreso looking for depth.

Depth you say? Depth in plot, or depth in characters?

"When they Cry" has a very deep plot... but gets by with somewhat shallow characters. Nonetheless, its one of my favorite shows. Unfortunately, you'll need to watch all 52 episodes, including the released-only-in-japan 2nd season to get the complete story... so its a bit hard to find. When they Cry isn't a "staple" by any stretch of the imagination.

When they Cry is a recursive murder mystery. You'll be introduced into just how complicated the murder mystery is for the entire first season. The 2nd season "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai" literally translates into "When they Cry: Answers", and that is when they go through and finally start unraveling the mysteries.

I admit the pacing is a bit slow, but it works for the series. I never felt like When they Cry actually "wasted" an episode, but dedicating nearly 30 episodes to mystery with very few answers... I've known people who grew impatient and were unable to finish the series. Answers do come eventually, but they only make sense after the mystery was explored.

Those who did stick through it and watch all ~50 episodes do agree that that this is one of the best mystery anime they've ever seen. Like all good mysteries, the answer was there the whole time. And what was believed to be irrelevant scenes early in the show ends up being hugely important to the plot.

When they Cry is... however... very bloody. But you've seen "Another", so you should be fine with this level of gore.

Spoiled for gore:
Spoiler:

This isn't actually a spoiler, so don't think about it too much. The real spoiler is when they explain wtf is going on in this scene... 15+ episode later...

Depth in characters can be found in AnoHana. The entire plot is basically characters running around, talking to each other and discovering everyone's perspective on an event that happened 5 years ago. As a 13-episoder, it has a surprising amount of character depth.

The full title is "Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai". But everyone calls it "AnoHana" because the _real_ title is too damn long.

Anyway, I haven't seen "Clannad", but my understanding is that AnoHana is closer to that kind of show. A solid drama, lots of characters crying their hearts out, romance and slice of life.

----------------------------

And now... back to my recommendation. "Baccano"... isn't really deep at all. I guess it pretends to be deep sometimes?

But who cares? Action shots are amazing, the character interaction is intriguing (although... again, shallow), and its actually a fun show all around. And it really is the point of the show. Interesting things just keep happening one after another, and that was good enough for me.

There's no clear beginning, middle, or end to the show. It is argued that figuring out the plot is an exercise for the watcher...

In fact, the series opens with two newspaper reporters arguing with each other on who the main character actually is. IIRC, they settle on Firo Prochainezo up here as "Main Character-ish" and start the story from his perspective.

One Sentence Summary: 1920s gangsters do epic battle with illegal moonshine on a train.

Actual spoiler
Spoiler:
So that they can find the fountain of youth... which an alchemic moonshiner has rediscovered and has begun to distribute it across his gang.

And... avoid the OVAs. (aka, Episode 14, 15, and 16). They weren't good. The series truly ended on episode 13.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

Anything mystery-related will appeal to me. I guess depth of characters describes what I liked best about those two, but what I guess I mean is plenty of room for the show to build. I generally stay away from magic type shows, so that's probably why I haven't seen a lot of those. Oh, I've also seen Danganrompa, but that was probably the worst of all the ones I've seen.

Baccano sounds like Trigun kinda. It certainly sounds interesting enough to check out.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Wow, that's missing so many "staples" of anime culture. I generally go to a convention, see what people are cosplaying as and then watch that next anime.

I'm talking about Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, Code Geass, Gurren Lagaan, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Fate / Zero (prequel to Fate / Stay Night), Madoka Magika, Attack on Titan, Azumanga Diaoh, Lucky Star, Nichijou, and Haruhi.

Of those, Madoka Magika, the Fate series (Fate/Zero especially), Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Gurren Lagaan, and Death Note are especially good IMO. All deserve a watch.

But for the most part, these super-popular anime got super-popular because they were amongst the best anime when they came out. Its probably not worth it for you to invest into the 500+ episode long series (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece), but the other ones are short enough... and make it easy to catch up with what everyone is cosplaying as at anime conventions.

Bleach has a decent beginning. One Piece is nice at times. Naruto is pretty standard. BUt anyway for all three I would just stay with the mangas if I wanted to spend time on them. Much faster, less filler.
But anyway yeah both FMA series are worth a watch, Madoka too. Code Geass is a fun show, it may have gigantic mecha but I wouldn't call it a Mecha anime (which I mention because I rarely watch mecha stuff). Gurren Lagaan didn't get me after 9 episodes but it does have many fans. Azumanga is a good comedy show. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Lucky star, quite a few people like it but to others it can be a bit boring.
I would definitely try Mushishi again, it's excellent however I doubt it fits every ones taste so maybe it just doesn't work for you.

Anyway my recommendations beside FMA and Mushishi: Try FLCL it's only 6 episodes and you will either like it or not. Haibane Renmei is a nice show, neither an action nor a comedy show but good. Last Exile is a nice adventure with steampunk elements. Steins;Gate is about time travel and a MC who pretends to be a mad scientist and is quite fun. Good show.
Try Durarara and Baccano both are quite nice.
Seirei no Moribito is nice if you like fantasy worlds, also the spear fighting looks nice.
And try "Daily lives of Highschool Boys" one day. Nice comedy but probably better when one is familiar with the things it parodies.

Edit: Room for the show to build hmm. How about Zetsuen no Tempest. Though Steins gate might fit too. Though Zetsuen no Tempest is about mages.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

Going to briefly drop my opinions on a bunch of shows that just got mentioned:

Naruto/Bleach/One Piece: I would just stay away from these. They are much too long and not very good. Their popularity is due more to being introductory series for a lot of (mostly young) fans than their quality. But if you insist then I'll second reading the mangas instead.

Full Metal Alchemist: This is a shounen done right, and is worth a watch. There are two anime series, the original and Brotherhood. The original covers the early part of the story in more detail, but diverges from the manga because it aired long before the manga was finished. Brotherhood goes quickly through the early part of the story because it expects most fans to have seen the original, however it still covers it well enough that watching the original series isn't necessary. It then follows the manga for the rest of the story.

Higurashi ("When they Cry"): One of the best out there and definitely worth a watch. Stay away from the sequel, Umineko, though.

Ano Hana: Very good "feels" show.

Baccano!: Another one of the best out there and definitely worth watching. It's got a very complex story with a lot of characters, and the whole thing is hilarious. I don't know why Knight Exampler doesn't like the OVAs, they were light material but good. Durarara is a loosely related series that has a similar tone and is also good, though not as good as Baccano.

Madoka: This is the best series to come out in the last several years and a must watch. For the best experience you should have seen a couple magical girl series already and be familiar with their common tropes, though it's not strictly necessary (similarly, it's best to have seen some older mecha series before watching Eva).

Gurren Lagann: Another one of the best and PeteP is just wrong :P Watch it.

Code Geass: I didn't actually like this one that much. The first season was great, but most of the second season was bad and ruined the entire show for me.

Death Note: This show might be a bit over-hyped, in particular many people don't like the latter half of it. It's still a very good show though, and worth watching for the cultural value anyways.

FLCL: This definitely goes on the "must watch for cultural value alone" list, but it's also a great show, and it's so short too. You can watch it in an afternoon and you should.

Code Geass is a fun show, it may have gigantic mecha but I wouldn't call it a Mecha anime (which I mention because I rarely watch mecha stuff).

You could say that about pretty much any mecha series. Mechs are never really what a series is about, they're a tool used to tell a larger story. Code Geass is very much the archetypical real robots mecha.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 pm UTC

Derek wrote:Stay away from the sequel, Umineko, though.

I would say it's a must read if you're not averse to Visual Novels, though.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Derek wrote:Stay away from the sequel, Umineko, though.

I would say it's a must read if you're not averse to Visual Novels, though.

I have heard the VN is good. I can't confirm that, but the anime was awful.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 pm UTC

Derek wrote:Baccano!: Another one of the best out there and definitely worth watching. It's got a very complex story with a lot of characters, and the whole thing is hilarious. I don't know why Knight Exampler doesn't like the OVAs, they were light material but good. Durarara is a loosely related series that has a similar tone and is also good, though not as good as Baccano.

I just... couldn't get into the wrench / mechanic guy. He was too ridiculous for me to accept. Strange, because the Train Conductor was IMO one of the better characters because of how ridiculous the concept was.

Madoka: This is the best series to come out in the last several years and a must watch. For the best experience you should have seen a couple magical girl series already and be familiar with their common tropes, though it's not strictly necessary (similarly, it's best to have seen some older mecha series before watching Eva).

If you're not into Magical Girl shows, you should at least be aware of the tropes before watching Madoka. You don't even need to watch a full series... just watch an episode or two of Sailor Moon Crystal... and then watch Madoka. Madoka definitely assumes that you know "how a typical magical girl show" works. Its kind of like "Kickass" the movie assumes you know the normal "superhero story".

Code Geass: I didn't actually like this one that much. The first season was great, but most of the second season was bad and ruined the entire show for me.

Yeah the 2nd season was bad, but it finished the show. Any show with a true, solid conclusion gets at least passing marks, even if I didn't like the way it ends... or a lot of the plot around the ending.

FLCL: This definitely goes on the "must watch for cultural value alone" list, but it's also a great show, and it's so short too. You can watch it in an afternoon and you should.

Indeed. FLCL is only ~2 hours from beginning to end, its shorter than those recent Batman movies. "Cultural value" is pretty big in FLCL. I personally didn't like it however, but there is a very large following.

UniqueScreenname wrote: I generally stay away from magic type shows, so that's probably why I haven't seen a lot of those.

Kiritsugu (Fate/Zero) is NOT your typical mage.

Sure, there's a lot of magic in Fate/Zero, but they handle it very well. There's lots of rituals, magic blasts and so forth of course. For best effect, be sure to watch "Fate/Stay Night" first, even though Fate/Zero is a completely superior series in every respect.

UFOTable is doing "Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works", which is technically different than Fate/Stay Night. This new series (airing right now) looks like it will be great, but only 2 episodes are out right now. Kind of hard to judge ya know?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”