My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

raudorn

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby raudorn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Oh yes, those two are awesome as well. They profit even more from the great videos that go with the songs. I didn't know you could make Weird Al's Hardware Store even better, but of course someone did just that. Friendship was magic get's an honorable mention here. Although I'm still looking for any Spike/Spike or Jet/Winona jokes.

So far I'm leaning more on the melodic side with the occasional odd one out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Wait, where did all the rage about Equestria Girls go?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:07 am UTC

From what I hear it's not that great, and I honestly am not interested in it. I'm just waiting for S4.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:30 am UTC

I saw it the other day (I will admit to watching a camrip I stumbled across online). It wasn't outstanding and it wasn't horrible. Probably would have made a half-decent two-parter (or three-parter more likely) in the series. I have to admit having more interest in Twilight's struggle with getting used to her wings than most other parts of the show.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:45 am UTC

I'm still waiting for a high-quality version. I'm not too picky about quality (I watched the 360p leak of Wonderbolts Academy), but a shaky camera and messed up color balance are not things I'm willing to sit through for over an hour. I think I'll be waiting another month or more.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 am UTC

It's gonna air on the Hub later this year, but I've heard that it's not as bad as it sounds nor particularly great.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:24 am UTC

So not quite Discord two-parter/end of season 2, but also not really Mysterious Mare-Do-Well either?
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking

Shidoshi

Postby Shidoshi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:20 am UTC

I admit to watching a camrip version (if only because Brazil doesn't get the Hub and probably won't get the DVD or the movie on cinemas).

It's pretty much the first 2 episodes of season 1 retold with humans, tack on some self-referential fun and it was actually pretty good.
The only thing I didn't like that much was the romance thing with Twilight, but I guess that was a requirement to make it to the movies.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Jay911 wrote:I saw it the other day (I will admit to watching a camrip I stumbled across online). It wasn't outstanding and it wasn't horrible. Probably would have made a half-decent two-parter (or three-parter more likely) in the series. I have to admit having more interest in Twilight's struggle with getting used to her wings than most other parts of the show.

Pretty much this. I found it decent enough and even if the movie had been utterly bad, I still don't get all the rage over it. If something in [favorite fandom] doesn't appease all of the fans, the appropiate response is "meh" instead of "omgthisistheendthistotallysucks!!!"

The romance didn't bother me all that much (probably because it was as bland as oatmeal made with water), but the villain's motivation did. They couldn't have her being just mean and petty, oh no, they had to tack on some Evil Overlord template as well.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Shidoshi wrote:I admit to watching a camrip version (if only because Brazil doesn't get the Hub

It doesn't really matter if Brazil gets The Hub, since as soon as it airs on The Hub it will be on the internet in an hour or two.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 am UTC

So, has anyone read "Fallout: Equestria"? Is this one of those fanfics that start out slow, but pick up speed afterwards? I started reading it, but stopped after a few chapters. It's not bad, but not really gripping either.

Oh, and to make this post is less empty and because I just f*ing love making lists, here's an updated list of 'stuff that I've read'. A warning: Those are not recommendations, just an enumeration I keep for whatever reason.
Spoiler:
[Bipedal Hairless Apes]
  • The Kindness of Strangers
  • The Tale of Gaius Ninefingers
  • Journes to My Imagination
  • Written in Dust
  • Retired to Equestria

[Silly]
  • Friendship is Dragons
  • How Many Princesses Does It Take to Change A Light Bulb?
  • There's a Gamer in All of Us
  • Ponytics
  • Luna, there's a sentient race inside your mane
  • Princess Celestia hates tea
  • Number Three Assistant
  • Twilight Discovers Literary Analysis
  • Luna's Excellent Adventure
  • Nosflutteratu
  • Princess Textlestia
  • Regarding The Need for Sex Education
  • The B.I.G comes to town
  • The Brony Guard Unlimited

[Friendship is Optimal]
  • Friendship is Optimal
  • Ad-adsurdum
  • Voyages of a Shardship
  • The Loner
  • The Elements of Truth
  • Spiraling Upwards
  • Twilight of the World
  • The Last Optimization
  • Fog of World
  • Yggdrasil
  • A Watchful Eye
  • Psychopathy is Configurable
  • Fifteen Galaxies out
  • More Information
  • The Law Offices of Artemis, Stella & Beat
  • Caelum Est Conterrens
  • No Exit
  • Optimism Pending

[Chess Game of the Gods]
  • For The Swarm
  • Myou've gotta be kidding me

[Otter]
  • A Brief History of Equestria
  • Accidentally
  • In Her Majestys royal service
  • White Box
  • Why does Applejack cry?
  • Hard Reset
  • Can't choose your family
  • Friends forever
  • A stitch in Time
  • Reflections
  • The next level of your studies
  • I forgot I Was There
  • Last One Standing
  • Mortal
  • Statistics
  • The Best Night Ever
  • This Platinum Crown

[Crossover]
  • Better Living Through Science and Ponies
  • Bleach: The Equestria Arc
  • Endgame
  • The Night the Magid Died
  • Halo - On the wings of angels
  • Wrong Hospital, Nico Bellic
  • League of Discord
  • Mass Effect - The Equestria Equation
  • Mass Effect - Shades of Twilight
  • Mythbuckers
  • For Queen and Country
  • The unicorn at Hogwarts
  • My Little Fortress: Friendship for the Blood God
  • Stargate Equestria
  • The Redemption of Jericho Swain
  • Timelords and Terror
  • World of Ponycraft

[Things I've stopped reading]
  • Griffin the Griffin
  • The Wizard and the lonely Princess
  • Not the Afterlife I Signed Up For
  • Past Sins
  • The Order of Koaxia

And now I got the feeling that capitalization in english is completely arbitrary.

Edit: And I totally forgot The Best Night Ever. How could I forget that one?

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 am UTC

The Children of the Night animation is finally complete. :)

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Yowzers! That's really well done. I just wish I'd understand how it fits into the main canon. Not that it needs to, it can and does stand on its own.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:Yowzers! That's really well done. I just wish I'd understand how it fits into the main canon. Not that it needs to, it can and does stand on its own.

It's set at about the time that Luna first rose up, just before she became Nightmare Moon. So about 1000 years before the series.

Also, has anyone seen the SDCC animatics? Things are looking pretty good for season 4, and the following are some super-crazy spoilers:
Spoiler:
Scootaloo/CMC episode about Scoot not being able to fly (presumably with a lesson to not focus too hard on your failings)
Apple family song featuring Pinkie - and it looks like they're going on a journey and accepting Pinkie as a member of the family?
Mane 6 and Spike become ... Power Rangers? Sailor Senshi? Justice League? In Manehattan!

But this is probably the craziest of the lot:
Spoiler:
Luna becomes Nightmare Moon again!

EDIT: Youtube link. Spoilerrific.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:22 am UTC

I can't stop listening to the song. I wonder if this is what it was like for the people who listened to "Smile, Smile, Smile" back when it was leaked. Except we have a much, much longer wait than they did. (Season premier November 23, song in episode... well, it's listed in the corner of the screen.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I can't stop listening to the song. I wonder if this is what it was like for the people who listened to "Smile, Smile, Smile" back when it was leaked. Except we have a much, much longer wait than they did. (Season premier November 23, song in episode... well, it's listed in the corner of the screen.)

I hadn't made that connection! Thanks, genius I tell you. Genius.

As for Children of the Night, I'm good friends with "Lionheart" and got to see it in production last year when I stopped by for a visit. He's quite proud of it, and took some time to explain how he was doing stuff that the show's animators were not doing, because it can't normally be done (or at least done efficiently - I honestly forget which) in Flash. The "it" had to do with, if I recall correctly, the rotation of the Flash puppets, particularly when they for example go from facing viewer's left to viewer's right (as Luna does at least once). There was also a jump/float from the 2nd story window of the orphanage that had a similar challenge.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:28 am UTC

I'm still amused by this face.
(It's not spoiler-y at all but I'll put it in a spoiler just in case.)
Spoiler:

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Ey you know what's goin' on *snaps hoof in a z-shape*

*wonders if that's actually possible*
Am I gregnant

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

{ShamelessSelfPromotion]
So I wrote a fanfic.
[/ShamelessSelfPromotion]

[VaguelyRelevantRemark]
How's your story going, Vaniver? I just reread it and can't wait for the next update.
[/VaguelyRelevantRemark]

[ActualContent]
Are PonyGames a thing? I only played the story of the blanks. I enjoyed it, even though I normally don't care much for horror games. There are other games out there too, but none of them seem to be finished.
[/ActualContent]

Shidoshi

Postby Shidoshi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Shidoshi wrote:This just might be the best thing ever (FiW related).

Yeah, I heard the old version a while ago and loved it.
Not sure which version I prefer. After episode 6, I haven't much cared for any FiW, except for Gypsy Bard. So the old version is missing that, but this one has songs I don't like. Oh well.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:16 am UTC

raudorn wrote:How's your story going, Vaniver? I just reread it and can't wait for the next update.
So, editing it is a giant pain. I've got a lot written that I haven't posted because it's out of order, and getting the next thing to go up to the point where I want it takes way longer than the first draft. The main delays come from the beta readers I have, who will point out some serious flaw, which I'll then sit on for a month or so until I figure out a way around it or decide it's better to just keep it in. (I'm pretty busy in my regular life, so I don't have all that much time to sit down and think my way through an obstacle; generally I push it to my subconscious and slowly mull it over.)

Also, I rarely check xkcd anymore- if you send me a private message, that'll turn into an email and so I'll notice it, or you can message me over at fimfiction. (In particular, if you want to see more of the story, become a beta reader! Send me a message somehow, and that goes for anyone else interested as well.)
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Lopsidation

Postby Lopsidation » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Season 4.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS

(Spoiler: episodes 1 & 2)
Spoiler:
AWESOME.

After all the havoc in episode 1, I thought for sure the mane 6 would need at least two deus ex machinas to solve everything. But the ending (1) made sense, (2) developed Twilight's new relationship with her friends, and (3) raised the stakes for future encounters since they can no longer use the Elements.

Also: what's in the box

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

I have to admit, I actually forgot about the premiere, despite still participating in the fandom. Anyway, I enjoyed the first two-parter. Not perfect, but decent enough and on par with the previous seasons. I think the 'issue' with
Spoiler:
Applejack sending Twilight back to town and Twilight repeatedly proclaiming they will never grow apart
was a bit forced, but at least these topics were floating around ever since the S3 finale. So I guess we can now joss all those Epileptic Trees early on. What a shame.

Mat

Postby Mat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

After princessgate I was kind of horrified to watch the new episode, but I actually enjoyed the premiere.

Spoiler:
The super alicorn backstory potion was pretty ridiculous but I liked how they fleshed out the mythology (although Luna's banishment still makes no sense) and set up the rest of the season.

Hopefully Twilight giving back the elements of harmony will lead to more creative resolutions in future episodes, and less magicing problems away.

Also I just watched a Boxxy video and I liked it
http://youtu.be/oe2P3fzz1s8

I think something is wrong with me

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Mat wrote:
Spoiler:
(although Luna's banishment still makes no sense)

How so? Cuz that's one part of this show that I'm REEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLY into.

Mat

Postby Mat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Mat wrote:
Spoiler:
(although Luna's banishment still makes no sense)

How so? Cuz that's one part of this show that I'm REEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLY into.

Spoiler:
The sudden switches between 100% good/evil is what bothers me. They didn't give any reason for her becoming Nightmare Moon, she just did. The flashbacks in this episode didn't add anything to the characterisation in the season 1 premiere and her character just feels really underdeveloped. Which is annoying, because she is portrayed as being Celestia's equal all the time, yet with the exception of the Nightmare Night episode (which was awesome) she has been almost completely absent from the show.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I guess the transformation itself is a little underdeveloped. I guess to me it's nothing a little headcanon and fanart can't fix.
(Seriously, Luna/NMM get the coolest fanart.)

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I think there is still a lot of room to show more backstory. I see no reason to assume that the co-rule of the princess before Luna's turning lasted only a few decades. It's quite possible that they ruled for hundreds/thousands years before that and Luna's fall only appeared sudden on that kind of timescale. Who knows, maybe there were a hundred years of resentment, decades of broken bonds and years of silent conflict before it all ended in a few minutes of NMM.

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

When watching Celestia & Luna standing there PO'd and getting pelted with seeds, for some reason I could only think of the "Two Best Sisters Play" series.

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Why am I watching this.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

teenidle wrote:Why am I watching this.

Clearly, because you have great taste and can appreciate a good show when you see it. I mean, it's not like the fandom is a swirling vortex, that sucks you in and traps you forever. Not at all.

If you decide to give up the struggle against the vortex, take a medium of your choosing and roll with it. There's pony music, videos, games, fanfics, tabletop RPGs, drinking games, online bars, forums, chats, conventions, cosplay and everything else under sun.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Castle Mane-ia
Spoiler:
A fun little episode, and I like the idea that the castle was originally built by Celestia and Luna as something like their own personal playground / place to play practical jokes on each other. The reveal of the organ player was pretty obvious - basically, which character's missing? Jokes were all pretty good. My main problem - "Let's write a diary about our experiences!" "Yeah, and we'll keep it just as up-to-date as those letters we wrote Princess Celestia!"
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Is there a "Best-Of" list for season 2 and 3 somewhere that comes particularly recommended? (And doesn't just list everything?)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Is there a "Best-Of" list for season 2 and 3 somewhere that comes particularly recommended? (And doesn't just list everything?)

That would be highly subjective, but here are my suggestions (with an attempt to suggest fewer than half the episodes per season, but I don't think I quite succeed):
Season 2
Spoiler:
Return of Harmony 1 & 2 - introduces Discord, a little Equestrian history, some good jokes
Lesson Zero - Twilight goes crazy, slight change to episode structure
Luna Eclipsed - Luna! And Pinkie in a chicken suit.
May the Best Pet Win - Flutterdash duet song, introduces Rainbow's new pet
Secret of My Excess - Spike/Rarity episode
Family Appreciation Day - Apple Bloom, Granny Smith and Ponyville history
Read it and Weep - Introduces two of my favourite fictional fictional characters
A Friend in Deed - opens with one of the longest songs of the show
It's About Time - Twilight goes crazy, fun with time travel, Pinkie plays too much Splinter Cell
A Canterlot Wedding 1 & 2 - probably the first of the "Hasbro forces stupid plot developments, writers somehow make it awesome anyway" episodes. Also first villain song

Season 3
Spoiler:
One Bad Apple - catchy song, nice twist on the blank flank concept and a good look at bullying
Magic Duel - a Great and Powerful episode
Wonderbolts Academy - MLP meets Top Gun
Apple Family Reunion - another catchy song, some call-backs, a very small reference to AJ's parents
Keep Calm and Flutter On - not a fantastic episode, but worth it for the return of Discord (which feeds into S4)
Magical Mystery Cure - caused by another Hasbro directive, rushed but with some really great moments
pollywog wrote:

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:45 am UTC

It's a neat little show with an obsessive fandom.
Am I gregnant

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
It's a neat little show with an obsessive fandom.

And catchy songs.

EDIT: And on the topic of songs, I've finally got a hold of the season 3 songs for my iPod, and between those and a re-watching of Magical Mystery Cure, I have definitely come to appreciate its qualities more. I still think it's a terribly rushed episode, but the half that deals with an actual friendship problem really covers one of the biggest lessons learned in the series and in a fantastic fashion.
pollywog wrote:

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

I watch the show on a livestream (usually on BronyState.net) because I don't get the Hub network. Ahead of the show, the streamers usually run other clips and stuff, and this week they showed an episode of one of the earlier generations (the one with the human kid and sea ponies in it). Comparing that dreck to the writing, music, and art/animation of FiM should be all you need in order to figure out why this generation is good enough for everyone.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:14 am UTC

ConMan wrote:Keep Calm and Flutter On - not a fantastic episode

Wrong. :)
IMO it's the best Fluttershy episode, with only one real flaw (the fact that Celestia flat out tells us how the episode is going to play out in the first five minutes). Also it's the result of a 15 year old boy's episode concept and turned out great, so you gotta give them credit for that.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

Alright, five episodes in, I can say I'm satisfied with the new season so far. It might be more of the same as far as format goes, but they managed to pick up on themes introduced, and not yet concluded, in the previous seasons. For example:

• Discord is not quite best-buddy with the ponies, but much more approachable than before his "reformation".
  • Yes, RD really likes Daring Do.
  • Princesses have some actual stuff to do? Who would have thought?
  • So close, CMC. So close. I say one more episode where all three are demure about the cutie mark business and they are finally ready.
  • Castle Mane-ia? Yes, sure, MLP is a kids show. I get it now. A show for anyone who was a kid at some point.

The new animations are alright, if sometimes overdrawn (or pony faces are just really expressive).

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”