My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby Angua » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

My one thought about the latest episode:
Spoiler:
There are horses in ponyville? Are they giants?
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

Angua wrote:My one thought about the latest episode:
Spoiler:
There are horses in ponyville? Are they giants?

Spoiler:
The Attack on Titan theme just played in my head.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

I've been loving the season so far. Too bad I decided to start writing up my thoughts while watching on this episode.

BATS! thoughts while watching:

Spoiler:
The Fluttershy vs. Applejack song was bothersome. Yes, Applejack is being too harsh on them- they do care about their families- but Fluttershy is ignoring the underlying value difference between Applejack and the bats, and I do think the other five are right in saying "in this value conflict, we side with Applejack, and as the more powerful party we don't see the need to compromise with the bats."

And the whole 'specialization of labor' argument ignores that they already have a solution for planting seeds, and that their solution might actually be superior to the fruit bat solution. Which, actually, it is: apple tree planting is almost always done by grafting, because apple strains don't breed true because of their strange genetics, so the bats planting seeds is actually harmful.

Then Applejack's Granny Smith story is transparent- I'll bet that Granny Smith comes back and says "yeah, things were so much better the year after the infestation- I sure do wish we had kept those bats around!"

Applejack's prehensile tail is joined (well, I suppose this had happened before, but less obviously) by Pinkie's prehensile hair.

The resolution also seems dumb. Why would a bigger apple be more likely to lure Flutterbat, if you're just using the scent? I get that using it as a sacrifice shows that Applejack cares more about Fluttershy than her competition in the state fair, but if your characters have to make mistakes to make a point that calls the point into question. After Fluttershy is restored, why does Applejack think the sanctuary is a better idea than just killing (or 'driving away') the bats? (How are you going to keep the bat numbers down in this sanctuary, by the way?)

I'm not a fan of the end-of-episode revelation that Fluttershy is still Flutterbat either; I think every episode this season has had one of these, and I don't think any of them have been followed up on yet, and so either this is just a one-off "what if? / or is it?" joke like the others or there will be a callback later on.

(Also, apparently I was wrong on Granny Smith- so far, we only have Fluttershy's word as the professed non-expert with regards to fruit bats (or agriculture) that the bats will actually help. Great, now I'm super confident.)
TL;DR: episode is wrong on plant genetics. I know it's a little silly to complain that a show that didn't get arithmetic right doesn't get plant genetics right, but it still rankles. Also, brace yeself for the incoming wave of Flutterbat fanfiction.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote: Also, brace yeself for the incoming wave of Flutterbat fanfiction.

Eh, there already was some of it before the episode. It seems Fluttershy's personality, the Stare and the general pegaus<->bat-pony dynamic made her a good fit for the "Meek character is secretly a vampire" trope, at least as far as fanfics go.
And don't get me started on predator-prey-dynamics. Those vampire-bats are a home-made problem!

Also, some thoughts:
  • Damn, RD, you're making Berry Punch proud.
  • Na na na na na na na na, na na na na na na na BATMARE
  • This is Hallow... Christmas, this is Christmas, pumpki... mistletoes screaming in the dead of night.
  • I bet that huge apple tastes quite watery. The big ones always do.
  • Twilight, do you have nothing better to do? Also, go read some books about ecology, you're short-sightedness is showing. AJ, join her.
  • Pinkie's tentacle hair. Now THAT'S going to cause some fanfics.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

What is it with this season and most-likely-meaningless spooky gag endings?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:02 am UTC

Rarity Takes Manehattan thoughts:

Spoiler:
Rarity, this is why we don't burst into song: time flies away from you.

Rarity: I need to be across town immediately!
Twilight: Too bad I can't teleport you, or make a forcefield around Rainbow Dash while she flies with your things to protect them from the rain.

I did laugh at the "isn't friendship magic?" line, though.

I can't help but feel that Rarity doubled down on her mistake by abandoning both her friends and the fashion show; at least keep one of them! Also, trusting Suri? Idiot balls all over the place.

(Also, the Applejack 'rotten' line, and Rainbow's response, is the first time I can think of that the two of them didn't switch elements. Before that, Applejack is a way better loyalty, and Rainbow a way better honesty, and it looks like they might be finally trying to fix it.)

Hey friend, I know I'm the best fashion designer in Equestria (as evidenced by my winning of this contest and continuous ability to impress important fashinistas), but you don't mind if I have an assistant that I haven't trained at all do your costumes instead of me, right? ...right?

Decent episode. This was the first end-of-episode cliffhanger that doesn't seem like a one-off gag. Fluttershy still being a vampire / the comic book disappearing / etc. seem like the sort of thing that would make less sense to bring up again (they unlock the box, and... find out that's where the comic book disappeared to!).

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:18 am UTC

One could think that these items are the keys to the box, but where does that leave us with Fluttershy? Maybe she chips her tooth and that's the key. :lol:
Maybe, just maybe, the writers actually have a bigger quest in mind and these items do play a vital role, but aren't the keys themselves. But, you know, it's a kids show.

Generally I liked the episode, but it felt rushed. As it was with other Aesop episodes, the timeframe doesn't really allow the characters to really think about their mistakes. Basically the moment Rarity realises what she has done, she already runs off to fix things. I think it would be much better to let her mellow a while. However, that doesn't really fit into the one-episode timeframe. But, you know, it's a kids show.

Overall the episode was... *drumroll* ... 'aight. Damn, RD.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:26 am UTC

Pinkie Apple Pie:

Spoiler:
So, as is probably apparent to anyone reading this thread, I am not a fan of Pinkie Pie and I am a huge fan of Big Mac. So this episode will be interesting.

The Apples to the Core song was so much fun.

I... don't think I can fault Pinkie for sticking Big Mac's butt in her scrapbook.

Also, d'awww soaked Big Mac.

The whole Granny Smith / elders part was... eh.

Also, that damn eagle!

Okay, Pinkie's face with Applejack was great.

Overall, plenty of high points, and Pinkie was tolerable. (Interestingly enough, I didn't watch this episode on Saturday because I was on a vacation with my immediate family and a friend from high school; of course, we listened to the various worries about "let's check X to be sure," and so did not have nearly as much to argue about.)

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

Rainbow Falls:

Spoiler:
I like Rainbow's plan of shoring up the weakest team, but it's hard to see this not being a one-arc episode if it doesn't come back to bite her in the ass.

Also, there are episodes where if you erased Pinkie Pie, the episode would be worse off: about five minutes in, and I'm pretty sure this won't be one of them.

Soarin, why do you have a dopey voice. :(

So, the Applejack stubbornness episodes are ones in which Loyalty is taken to excess, and probably only ought to be used in moderation. (I've probably mentioned before my fanon that RD is honesty and AJ is loyalty, because it's a way better fit.) At about 9 minutes, when the Wonderbolts are pushing RD to join the Cloudesdale team, it looks like the sort of thing where RD's loyalty is primarily forcing her to make the wrong decision (for her personally, though not for Ponyville). Maybe this makes it more useful as a "the community is more important than you are" lesson, but... bleh.

"What would you do?" "I think this is a decision you have to make on your own."
I'm having a hard time not seeing that as code for "Wonderbolts, but obviously I can't say that out loud."

Yes, Applejack, sugar and butter cures everything.

Choosing not to choose is totally a choice!

"We've got a race to run!" "Actually, the medic took up a bunch of time; that was four hours ago."

And now it's pretty clear that each of the "my friends are my anchor" episodes leads to that pony getting something with a rainbow shine, and those are probably the keys to the box.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Honestly I'm starting to think that Aesop episodes are repeating themselves. RD choosing Ponyville in the end was a foregone conclusion. I would have been really surprised if she actually flew for Cloudsdale and left her friends with hurt feelings. But I was pleasently surprised that a healed Soarin, a sort-of-lying Spitfire and a loyal RD offered a solution that left everyone happy. There are many other solutions, but those would touch on subjects to complex for a 20min episode of what is still essentially a kid cartoon show. Being ambitious isn't bad, sports achievments are a source of validation and group dynamics can be more complex than blind loyality or betrayal. But good luck cramming that into an episode.

Also, with the heavy focus on the Equestrian Games, I think it's becoming more likely that the Games are going to be either the prelude or part of the season finale. I could even imagine some disaster striking the Games like the Changeling Invasion interrupted the Royal Wedding. But then the Quest (about the box) doesn't really fit in there, because it can hardly offer a solution for any problem that's not connected to the Quest or Discord/the Princesses. I do hope the writers have written something that spans the entire season and incorporates more than just one plot point into the finale. Yes, yes, MLP is still mostly a slice-of-life kid cartoon show, I made that point abudantly clear. But I think there's a lot of potential that has the potential to be wasted.

Finally, more thoughts:
  • Pinkie makes better costumes than Rarity.
  • Oh hey, Twilight. You did something.
  • That's not Snowflake, that's his identical twin, who didn't make it to the Wonderbolt Academy.
  • Pegasi make for awesome cheerleaders.
  • Griffons! Bucking finally, more Gri(ph|ff)(o|i)ns.
  • New ponies, new ponies everywhere!
  • RD wants to fly for Cloudsdale, so kick Bull Biceps off the team and let Twilight, Derpy and Flutters win this shit! What do you mean, Alicorns are cheating?

Edit: Forgot spoilers around pretty much everything.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

Thoughts about upcoming stuff (minor spoilers, including stuff mentioned on EqD but not on the show yet):
Spoiler:
I think it's pretty likely that the shiny items with rainbow gleam, that are showing up in episodes that test each character's defining trait, are related to "Rainbow Power"*, and hence will be involved in some kind of replacement for the Elements of Harmony. I'm wondering whether this will all come out in the finale, or if they'll split the season - the first part including the episodes where each of the 6 get their Rainbow Power item, then a mid-season finale where the items turn into keys for "the box", then the second half where they use their new powers ... probably not, given the pacing so far, but I can dream.

*And in case you hadn't heard about this, there's a new toyline coming! Which means more executive meddling! Yay!
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

Alright, this was an episode I really liked. I mean, the end was kinda predictable, but it was still enjoyable to see them get there. The song was fun, the background gags funny, the "new" animations well done, the references both obvious and obscure. My only gripe is, that the "antagonist's" motivation was kinda... uh, pointless? Then again, that could be counted as in character.

Final verdict: Blue out of 4.6i

And some thoughts:
Spoiler:
  • Pew pew, las0r beamz.
  • So two alicorns can fly a huge "chariot" made of gold. Just how heavy was that thing?
  • I think they just uprooted the world tree and killed the Warden. Equestria is doomed.
  • Pinkie seems to become unable to form a single coherent thought.
  • Dammit Jim, I'm a princess not a doctor.
  • How on Earth is Cadance Ravenclaw and Twilight Gryffindor?
  • Rarity, is your Hammer space broken or what?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Ugh new Pinkie Pie.

ICE TRAIN

Flash Sentry!

Okay, I enjoyed the fainting couch joke. (Other than that, the level of Flanderization is a little aggravating.)

"Not it!" And I laughed out loud at that one.

So... this episode is all about guilt trips and manipulation?

(Discord's plan is to have a terrible experience that causes them to bond, maybe?)

Okay, I also laughed at the thumbs up in front of her face.

(You heard it from Cadance: Canada is boring.)

"I don't want to say you got what you deserved..."
"Well, I have no trouble saying it."

(More evidence for RD as honesty (not it!) and AJ as loyalty (I don't want to say...).)

Alright episode. Lots of high notes, several aggravating things.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:54 pm UTC

Pinkie Pride:
Spoiler:
Enjoyed Rainbow Dash posing in front of Pinkie's crude Rainbow Dash.

Birthaversary? No. Stop it Rarity.

So, I'm not liking the "Pinkie can't handle a little competition" setup. If you really care about your friends being happy and smiling, then Cheese Sandwich is a good thing, Pinkie. If you primarily care about you making your friends smile, then he's a bad thing. But are we really going to elevate jealousy, or end up with a "you should trade with your friends because they'll feel bad if you don't" moral? What I'm hoping for is a "Pinkie realizes that being the best is less important than getting the job done" moral.

WAT at the live-action shots.

Pinkie is leaving town? Ugh. Just... ugh. (At least she got the moral right.)

(Twilight's disapproving Asian father sends her a letter complaining that she decided to live in such a party town.)
Better than I expected, but from a Pinkie episode I was expecting to dislike it.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

Alright, let's see...

Spoiler:
  • You go Spike, tell it like it is, brother!
  • What, triangle? I'm waiting for the dodecahedron!
  • Bad poetry counts as a song for the drinking rule.
  • "Drink on accent" is a nasty rule for the drinking game.
  • Alright, say it with me: Aesop Amnesia is a poor plot device.
  • Apple bucking, how does it work?
  • You should get that checked by a doctor Pinkie.

Overall I laughed a lot more than with Pinkie Pride, even though this episode wasn't even purely comical.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 am UTC

Spoiler:
So... is Rarity really not that self-aware? Her Canterlot-esque gown is "small town chic"?

Twilight: Rarity, please warn me about trust falls before you do them.

I love how they emphasized the dirt and slobber on the 'working Applejack' shots.

Rarity: the Element of Jealousy.

Okay, I liked Apple Jewel. And then the face.

Trenderhoof asking Granny Smith to dance? Smooth.
Unremarkable episode? Pinkie is crazy, Rarity is crazy, the moral is transparent, Trenderhoof is actually okay.

[edit]If only.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:05 pm UTC

Filli Vanilli
Spoiler:
Big Mac is in the Ponytones.

Rarity no! You've cursed us all!

I was about to joke that Big Mac would get sick, and then Fluttershy would have to find the poison joke and then sing, and then...

Okay, the ravenous crowd absconding with the pets was a bit much.

This is what happens when you get greedy, Fluttershy!

I thought they couldn't make Pinkie any dumber. And then.

"Can we please stop running?"
Enjoyed it, in particular the strong life advice of "actually face your worst nightmares, and evaluate how bad they are."

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

I....

Spoiler:
was kind of surprised that poison joke makes the same change every time.

AJ's "talk" with Mac was priceless.

Bronystate exploded more than once (... "can you do that?") - about FS using the word "Flutterguy" and such - so it was hard to follow the room. Twilight bringing Pinkie down to earth was also funny.

Also, was there a jackalope early on in the cold open or the scene immediately after?

People lost their shat when Cheerilee swooned over Mac..

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:29 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Enjoyed it, in particular the strong life advice of "actually face your worst nightmares, and evaluate how bad they are."

I like how, for a change, they didn't ruin the message by slapping on a "Well, that's solved" at the end. If the character in question keeps this new character trait in future episodes while still struggling a bit with her problem, then it's a strong message. Nothing get's fixed in 22min of cartoon ponies.

I really, really liked this episode. If Pinkie hadn't been so augh, I'd rate this as high as Canterlot Wedding. Can we please have a writer who "gets" Pinkie? All other characters were wonderfully written, the singing beautiful and the animation on par with the writing.

Other thoughts:
Spoiler:
  • Spider-Pinkie creeps into little colts' and fillies' bedrooms at night and scares them.
  • That scene with the ghastly floating heads and glowing eyes was properly terrifying
  • No Big Mac, you don't have to choose, you can have them both
  • Whoever took that Antilope will have a lot of "fun"
  • Harry the vegetarian bear likes his bee spit "on the rocks"
  • Oh my god, Applejack got her super intuition with the last level up!
  • I move we rename Applejack to Tattletale
  • Another episode, another day for Twilight so develop her secret plan. She does have a secret plan, right? She's not just wasting time, right? Right?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

Pinkie was definitely off-colour here.
Spoiler:
Also, I laughed about 5 minutes into the episode when everything was "resolved" the way that most episodes could be - "Do this!" "I don't want to!" "Ok, we won't force you." I think Rarity's line was something like "Isn't it nice to deal with these things without any kind of drama?"

At first, I though Rarity or unnamed-female-pony-in-the-group would be the one to lose their voices and have Fluttershy fill in from behind the curtains, but when Big Mac showed up sick ... O_O and I suddenly knew exactly where it was going.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:19 am UTC

As a Pinkie fan, I really liked her in this episode. This is actually the first time she's made me laugh since Castle Mane-ia.

"Don't be ridiculous!"
"Aw, but I'm so good at it!"

I don't know why others had a problem with her. Going off on extreme tangents for her own amusement is normal for her. And in this case it was simultaneously terrorizing Fluttershy, but we've already had that exact thing happen three times:
Fluttershy did it to Rainbow Dash in Sonic Rainboom
Photo Finish did it to Fluttershy in Green Isn't Your Color
Rarity did it to Fluttershy in Hearth's Warming Eve
So I guess that gag is slightly uncomfortable but I'm just used to it by now.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:As a Pinkie fan, I really liked her in this episode. This is actually the first time she's made me laugh since Castle Mane-ia.

"Don't be ridiculous!"
"Aw, but I'm so good at it!"

That line was great.

The Scyphozoa wrote:I don't know why others had a problem with her. Going off on extreme tangents for her own amusement is normal for her. And in this case it was simultaneously terrorizing Fluttershy, but we've already had that exact thing happen three times:
Fluttershy did it to Rainbow Dash in Sonic Rainboom
Photo Finish did it to Fluttershy in Green Isn't Your Color
Rarity did it to Fluttershy in Hearth's Warming Eve
So I guess that gag is slightly uncomfortable but I'm just used to it by now.

There were a couple of things. The fact that Pinkie made things worse with Fluttershy despite repeatedly being told off about it - and we already know that Pinkie tries really hard to care about her friends' feelings; and while it's hard to work out where to draw the line, Pinkie's breaking of physics is usually not to the Discord-esque levels they were here (head turning into balloon, climbs walls like Spiderman). Also, I think, because this is really meant to be a Fluttershy episode with Rarity support, so having Pinkie constantly jump up and shout "look at me!" is distracting.
pollywog wrote:

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:49 am UTC

ConMan wrote:head turning into balloon

...wasn't that a different episode?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:39 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:...wasn't that a different episode?
I thought I also saw it in this episode, but on a quick rewatch (skimming from part to part, so I may have missed it) and checking the episode gallery I don't see it.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

The Pinkie Weather Balloon was from the "Country Matters" episode, where they announced Rarity doing the festival.

So, about this CMC episode:
Spoiler:
  • Squeaky Belle is back! And brought her friend, Slightly-different-voice-Sweetie Belle
  • What AJ achieves with great care, AB achieves via steroids magical potions. I bet in one year Ponyville is flooded with 50lbs apples
  • Those are veggie burgers, right? Right? Right? Right?
  • Ah, Twi's Canterlot table manners are shining through
  • Yes, Spike, let the hate flow through you! Take revenge for four seasons of Spikeabuse!
  • The moral of the day: Nobody is nice without planning something.
  • Twilight, I hope your plan involves an uprising of foals
  • Oh god, the CMC now have a magic user. I see impending Doom. Doom! DOOOOOM!

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:24 am UTC

My biggest problem with the episode:
Spoiler:
The CMC never claimed that favours = joining in Twilight Time. Sure, they probably shouldn't have accepted any of them, but they assumed it was just a case of "celebrity by association" rather than "you scratch my back", and that makes their alleged wrong-doing much less in my opinion. It was really all Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's doing that, by putting the expectation of joining Twilight Time into the other ponies' heads, they either guaranteed their own celebrity or brought the CMC down with them.
pollywog wrote:

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:06 pm UTC

Breezies:
Spoiler:
A bunch of tiny creatures are floating incorrectly! If only we had a skilled telekinetic on hand!

Isn't the track record on trusting Fluttershy pretty spotty, actually?

Twilight, turning your friends into breezies is the Worst. Possible. Solution. You could carry them with your magic, you could teleport them, Fluttershy could carry them, and so on.

I did love Rainbow Dash's reaction at the end, though.

Not a fan of this episode. Lots of it seemed contrived, Twilight's spell in particular, and for some reason I rarely like the Fluttershy morals. (The recent stage fright episode is the notable exception.)

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Not a fan of this episode. Lots of it seemed contrived, Twilight's spell in particular, and for some reason I rarely like the Fluttershy morals. (The recent stage fright episode is the notable exception.)

Yeah, this episode was in full plot-mode, where the last shred of common sense is thrown out the windows to make room for the plot. That aside, I thought the episode wasn't so bad. Frnoerrmr was an excellent character. Really, MLP could use a grumpy, cussing he-was-right-all-along guy, but, drumroll please, it's a kids show.
And then there was Twilight's spell. Really, gheavat gurz vagb oerrmvrf, that was your bright idea, Twi? Back to magic common sense kindergarten!

Other thoughts:
Spoiler:
  • One leaf. ONE LEAF. ONE LEAF?!
  • How in the world do breezies manage not to go extinct within minutes?
  • BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! FUCK BEES!
  • Spike has aquired plot-vision. All he sees are plots.
  • So a few Pegasi in Ponyville can cause a breeze that goes across the land to the western border of Equestria? PEGASUS IS OP, NERF PLEEZ!
  • Oh hey, Pinkie was tolerable.

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 pm UTC

Heard a lot about it, never seen an episode. I kind of want to watch one sometime, but I'm afraid I'll never be able to take myself seriously ever again.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 pm UTC

Negrebskoh wrote:Heard a lot about it, never seen an episode. I kind of want to watch one sometime, but I'm afraid I'll never be able to take myself seriously ever again.

pollywog wrote:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:46 am UTC

Negrebskoh wrote:Heard a lot about it, never seen an episode. I kind of want to watch one sometime, but I'm afraid I'll never be able to take myself seriously ever again.
Do you like Star Trek: The Next Generation? Then you can watch the Season 2 premiere and pretend you're merely delighting in the opportunity to listen to John DeLance reprise his role as Q.

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:47 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Do you like Star Trek: The Next Generation? Then you can watch the Season 2 premiere and pretend you're merely delighting in the opportunity to listen to John DeLance reprise his role as Q.

Why can I never find a specific video from Bronystate when I want it?

Ah, here it is.

http://youtu.be/w1iggLO-gOk

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

OK, so I watched the pilot. These are my thoughts:

1. It's surprisingly... non-childish. I mean, sure, it's a cartoon and there are ponies, but there's actually some story behind it that may be entertaining to watch. I assumed it would be some kind of 'Teletubbies for girly girls' (which was why I was so confused about so many people being fans).
2. The cliche-level seems rather high, but not in an unlikeable way.
3. I love Pinkie Pie.

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 pm UTC

Negrebskoh wrote:3. I love Pinkie Pie.

Allow me to welcome you by invoking an ancient joke: That's an awfully weird way to spell Rainbow Dash.

:mrgreen:

(if you like Pinkie from S01E01, you need to see some of her own episodes)

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

Honestly, they're all pretty awesome. I'm just a big fan of people ponies bursting out singing, the world could use more of that.

Good god I'm turning soft already.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

Jay911 wrote:
Negrebskoh wrote:3. I love Pinkie Pie.

Allow me to welcome you by invoking an ancient joke: That's an awfully weird way to spell Rainbow Dash.

:mrgreen:

(if you like Pinkie from S01E01, you need to see some of her own episodes)

In particular, Party of One, aka "Calling on the spirit of Chuck Jones to see what happens when you break characters in a comedic setting".
pollywog wrote:

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

That's one of the things that intrigued me about the show. Every one of the six main characters has a genuine mental breakdown in the first season. Cheese completely off the cracker. Kind of a strange thing to see in a kids' show.

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:50 pm UTC

Jay911 wrote:That's one of the things that intrigued me about the show. Every one of the six main characters has a genuine mental breakdown in the first season. Cheese completely off the cracker. Kind of a strange thing to see in a kids' show.

Slightly unrelated: are the other seasons good as well? I presume the creators became aware of the 'brony' phenomena, and I don't know whether that's influenced the other seasons.

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

Negrebskoh wrote:
Jay911 wrote:That's one of the things that intrigued me about the show. Every one of the six main characters has a genuine mental breakdown in the first season. Cheese completely off the cracker. Kind of a strange thing to see in a kids' show.

Slightly unrelated: are the other seasons good as well? I presume the creators became aware of the 'brony' phenomena, and I don't know whether that's influenced the other seasons.

Are the other seasons good? Yes. Has the fandom influenced the creators/producers? Yes.

The Laughter Song (which I've always thought was titled "Giggle at the Ghostie", but I learned something today) is but only one of the favorite pieces of music in the show. Pretty much every character has a song that people love. Pinkie randomly bursts into song quite a few times, including twice in the next episode after the pilot. In fact, Pinkie owns all the songs until Winter Wrap Up (episode 11), which is primarily Twilight but involves everyone, and is considered by many to be their number one favorite (at least, of season 1 ;)).

Keep going. If you were entertained by the pilot, you'll enjoy the rest.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”