My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:28 pm UTC

Nice to see a return to form after last week's episode - that one really missed the mark for me.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:14 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So this week's episode had me pleasently surprised. When Luna first said "don't killsteal, noobs" I was already spelling out the rest of the episode: Luna tries, fails, then the mane six offer help, maybe another iteration of try and fail, then Luna accepts help and the villain of the week is destroyed. I honestly did not pick up on the fact that the Tantibus was a creation of Luna, even when it was (kinda) implied in an offhand sentence of hers1. I also especially liked the visuals in the final scenes of the shared dream. As someone mentioned, it bears a striking resemblence to The God of the Forest in Princess Mononoke. Plus, blowing manes in the wind.2

1Something along the lines of "It haunts my dreams every night." If that was just some evil being, she probably would've told someone by now.
2Remember the "I wasn't prepared for this" song?

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:05 pm UTC

Crusaders of the Lost Mark...
Spoiler:
They got their cutie marks!
Maybe I should have seen that coming when it started being a musical episode, but I managed to be completely surprised.

And apparently the CMC have a special talent for helping others find their special talent?

Somewhat mixed feelings about this episode. Diamond Tiara's turnaround feels rather sudden and fast, much like Discord's back in season 3. But, well, Friendship is Magic and all.

But overall, I liked it. They finally got their cutie marks! :D
(Apple Bloom has an apple. Surprised?)

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:35 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:And apparently the CMC have a special talent for helping others find their special talent?

They fought so hard for their cutie marks, they got meta marks as reward.

I really wish I hadn't watched this on dailymotion, because that took away a lot from an otherwise great episode. In the beginning I thought the singing was a bit much, but it worked out alright. And of course the ending was... worth the wait, I guess? I think the cutie marks themselves could have gotten a better color scheme. They clash with the overall light coat tones of the CMC.

On a side note, this episode reminded me a lot of this marvelous fanfic, Three hundred and fifty, due to the overall theme of the CMC being more than just three childhood friends.

Alright, enough chit-chat, let the obligatory list of thoughts commence:
  • I think Fancy Pants and Fleur are summoned whenever the narrative requires some posh ponies to walk across the screen
  • Yay, Twilight, you were in the frame as well!
  • Equestria's school system has a horrible fiscal policy
  • So, Cheerilee, do you wanna step in when some snotty parent insults your charges? No? Alright, just asking.
  • What is it with missing parents in this show?

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:13 am UTC

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had DailyMotion problems. The freeze-framing really takes away a lot from a show loaded with visual gags.

Spoiler:
The most recent episode has set a new high-water mark on cutest character in the series.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon May 30, 2016 8:49 am UTC

I must say, I thought the key message in this week's episode was not one you see every day, but a pretty good one to learn.

Spoiler:
Viscious cycles and ritualistic behaviour happens to loads of people without noticing why (the number of people I used to see when computers started being more of a thing using caps lock to capitalise the first letter of a word). Granted, the spa ponies problem was probably more reasonable that Applejack's ritual for feeding the pigs.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:44 pm UTC

(So, I'm not sure if there is even interest in this thread anymore, but since 1.) the xkcd forums never cared much about thread necromancy and 2.) we're still on the first page and 3.) the forums are dying anyway, I think it's no big deal to resurrect it.)

The movie Equestria Girls: Legends of Everfree was released. The girls, now with "SciTwi" from the third movie Friendship Games, partake in a school trip to camp Everfree and they honestly expect for no disruptive magic shenanigans to happen... yeah, they're not buying it in-universe either.
Spoiler:
I rather like this movie. While the ending suffers from the by-now clichéd rainbow beam and magic girl outfits (which totally makes sense if you consider how and why this movie was produced), everything up to that point is solid and enjoyable. Rarity and Pinkie are a bit flanderized, though. I guess it's hard to balance screentime for a big cast, but still they'd have done better in the background instead of spewing the same tired stuff. They managed that with Fluttershy pretty well.

My personal favourite part was Gaia's villain song. Daniel Ingram knows how to make 'em good. The animation overall also has improved from the first movie.

There is a scheduling kerfuffle for the final episodes of the sixth season. The finale was released in the UK ahead of the rest of the world, some networks are showing the episodes ahead of the USA and out of order to boot. You can watch the finale right now, but not the two episodes leading up to it. However they most likely will be filler episodes (or develop another plot line), since the finale is based on events that have been covered so far.
Spoiler:
I think the finale is great, except for the ending. I don't mind the McGuffin for the null field, which made the episodes interesting, but the rapid conversion of the changeling hive to friendshipfied changelings or whatever was poorly telegraphed. They could've done it with only Thorax getting an upgrade, then converting the hive off-screen after the episode. At least with Thorax we already knew he was special from his episode.

The best part is what this means for Starlight's character development. And Twilight's, since she has taken on two more aspects of a princess of Equestria: Being useless in a crisis and delegating to students.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:25 pm UTC

I think I'll wait to watch the episodes in order before watching the finale. Equestria girls: Camp Everfree was good though. I especially liked the post credit scene.

One thing that bothered me from it though:
Spoiler:
How old is Timber supposed to be? He seems like he's meant to be adult age if he's helping to run the camp, but I guess maybe he's a younger brother helping out? Otherwise it's a bit weird him ending up with Twilight.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:09 pm UTC

Finally watched the finale:
Spoiler:
I love Discord, so glad he was around for it. I agree that all the changelings becoming good (except for the queen) was a bit quick. I wonder what they'll do for the next set of big bads? I suppose there's always alternate universes.
GNU Terry Pratchett

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon May 15, 2017 2:40 am UTC

I've finally gone on a binge of MLP episodes. Just watched the S6 finale. Thoughts on it (in response to raudorn and Angua's conversation):

Spoiler:
I didn't think the conversion of all the changelings was too quick. The conversion happened after Thorax sprayed Chrysalis with a giant love ray, which is kind of a big thing. All the other changelings, who had presumably never really questioned Chrysalis's ways before, now have a reason to rethink stuff. Thorax's love may have affected the ambient atmosphere or something.

It's not like the conversion just happened out of thin air.

On the other hand, I don't really like the changelings' new appearance. That was the one disappointing thing about the finale.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”