Rango

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

headprogrammingczar

Rango

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu May 19, 2011 11:24 am UTC

Surprised this hasn't managed to even be mentioned here yet. It is very much an old-style western movie, tropes and all. It subverts the genre at every chance it gets though, even so far as to have the main character reenact a western in the opening scene while totally misunderstanding what makes a good protagonist. This movie is hard proof that Pixar doesn't have a monopoly on good animated movies.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: Rango

Postby Moo » Thu May 19, 2011 11:50 am UTC

I was interested, especially based on the cast, but they managed to make the trailers utterly uninspiring so I lost interest... are you saying it is worth getting excited over after all? That would be cool if you were.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Postby AvatarIII » Thu May 19, 2011 12:39 pm UTC

i just want to see it because i heard it's like "Fear and loathing in las vegas, for kids"

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu May 19, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed. It was an ok movie, but nothing special. I actually can't really remember it that much, and I saw it maybe a month ago.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu May 19, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:i just want to see it because i heard it's like "Fear and loathing in las vegas, for kids"

This is more or less what it was, but apparently your mileage might vary. Just don't go into it expecting a kids' movie.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

markden111

Postby markden111 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

I love the animation movies like rango :D

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:12 am UTC

It was all right. I really disliked the main character. Con-man characters walk a fine line of appealing to me or utterly repulsing me, and they put Rango on the stupid/selfish/pointlessly clumsy side too much for me to like him. Beans totally deserves better.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 am UTC

It was something Different, I'll give it that much. But I was not particularly Wowed.

If I had to pin it down, I'd say it tried to accomplish too many things. It is the sort of thing that might entertain a kid with a short attention span, who will then grow up with vague, disjointed memories of what the movie was about, only to watch it twenty years later, finally realize exactly what was going on, and then write an ironic review of it on his blog. Or something.

DustinKoski

Postby DustinKoski » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Here was a first timer for me: because I had just seen that movie the day before seeing this one, when the reference to Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas happens, I thought it might well have been the funniest thing I have ever seen in a theater so I laughed long after everyone else who got it (i.e., no one, from what I could hear) and someone actually yelled at me to shut up.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:36 am UTC

Watched this last night - thought it had some moments of greatness but other scenes fell flat or went on for too long. I did, however, think the animation was excellent, and I loved the "unusualness" of the whole thing, it had a great feel to it, very different from your standard animation.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

Watched this tonight. Enjoyed it a lot actually. Loved all the references. Timothy Olyphant did a good job impersonating Ol' Clint :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Watched this tonight. Enjoyed it a lot actually. Loved all the references. Timothy Olyphant did a good job impersonating Ol' Clint :mrgreen:

What a coincidence, I just saw it on wednesday, loved it! Didn't realise that it wasn't actually the man himself!

Lady Macaroni

Postby Lady Macaroni » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:57 am UTC

Also just watched this tonight. Pretty dark for a kid's movie (and having a 7-year-old sister, I've seen pretty much every kid movie there is), but not bad.
Chaoszerom wrote:Someone hit someone else in the face with a fire extinguisher in the first 100 words, I can't let that slide!

It's a good day to kick some ass.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

I rather enjoyed it. The animation and fluids maybe weren't great, but the models, textures and lighting was top-notch. Easily better then Pixar. I loved the music, it's one of Zimmer's best scores, in my opinion. The "grittyness" made it very unusual for a kid's film. I can imagine how it would be scary to some, especially Bean's episodes.

But what was up with the
Spoiler:
Giant Eye?

Took me completely by surprise.

EDIT: me failing spoiler tags... sorry
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”