Cowboys and Aliens

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mmmcannibalism

Cowboys and Aliens

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 am UTC

Didn't see an existing thread; apologies if I missed.

trailer-->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-m2RJw3hE

Not sure what to say right now. Really hoping it will be amazing; and I think the casting and directing points to it being a good movie. One major hope would be that it avoids being a 2 hours action sequence with no interesting(all predictable) development.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

mercuryseven

Re: Cowboys and Aliens

Postby mercuryseven » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 am UTC

The trailer itself doesn't really excite me...but the thing that's pulling me in is the fact that Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig is in this movie. From my experience, there is a high chance that this movie could turn out to be crap (which is subjectively saying that I won't enjoy this movie, probably others will). So it depends on how the director puts together this movie - Jon Favereau is directing, so I'm keeping my hopes up.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:44 am UTC

i hope it's better than the Graphic Novel that it is based on, i read it after originally hearing about the film, and it was kind of crap,
the point of the book was to make a parallel between the White American/Native American Indian relationship, and the Alien/Human relationship, but it kind of fell flat, and never hit a good balance between politics, world-building and action.
I have noticed a lack of American Indians in the trailer, and considering that is about half the book's cast i'm guessing they are moving away from that aspect of the book, which is a shame, because that was most of the better characters.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

Coming out in 2 days; I'll be going to first showing I can get. Still think its either going to be insanely amazing or hilariously bad.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:I have noticed a lack of American Indians in the trailer, and considering that is about half the book's cast i'm guessing they are moving away from that aspect of the book, which is a shame, because that was most of the better characters.

Well, I don't know how it compares to the book, but I enjoyed the movie and there were definitely injuns involved. (Also cowboys and aliens.)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

So...this was awesome.

Unfortunately it was not as awesome as I'd hoped. But it was extremely enjoyably entertaining. And as for Daniel Craig variously shirtless or wearing chaps and/or suspenders...unf.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

I notice you didn't mention pants, just chaps.....

Intriguing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

Sadly, he was wearing pants while wearing the chaps. But still, the camera spent some time staring at him from behind while he variously climbed a bunch of rocks and/or a spaceship, so...

I'm vaguely contemptuous of Manohla Dargis of the NYTimes (she's more interested in turning out florid prose with pseudo-Freudian analysis than in actually reviewing movies, and she has a total hard-on for slow and plodding foreign films) but I will have to agree with her assessment here:
Mr. Craig, with his brutally handsome face and coiled physicality, looks like a rawhide whip that’s just itching to get cracking.

The upshot of it is, I'd say that Cowboys & Aliens is a joyful popcorn movie with a nerdy premise, in the same genre as Shoot 'Em Up. Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford make every use of their opportunities to chew the scenery, but in a good way.

Edit: Plot spoilers ahead.

Spoiler:
I was pleasantly surprised by the sort-of-not-really romantic tension between Craig and Olivia Wilde. Yeah, it's the standard "beautiful people become friends and allies," but Craig does a good job of conveying his preoccupation with his amnesia as well as the lover he sees in his flashbacks - he's too tied to her to have room for any silly intrigue. And lo and behold, Wilde actually fleshes out her alien role, someone who's had a human form long enough to know how humans work, but she's not subject to the same hormones and instinctual attraction to sexual magnetism that a human love interest would. Yeah, there's some attraction, but it doesn't manifest seriously and it's actually used in a useful way at the end.
Last edited by podbaydoor on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
podbaydoor wrote:Sadly, he was wearing pants while wearing the chaps. But still, the camera spent some time staring at him from behind while he variously climbed a bunch of rocks and/or a spaceship, so...

I'm vaguely contemptuous of Manohla Dargis of the NYTimes (she's more interested in turning out florid prose with pseudo-Freudian analysis than in actually reviewing movies, and she has a total hard-on for slow and plodding foreign films) but I will have to agree with her assessment here:
Mr. Craig, with his brutally handsome face and coiled physicality, looks like a rawhide whip that’s just itching to get cracking.

The upshot of it is, I'd say that Cowboys & Aliens is a joyful popcorn movie with a nerdy premise, in the same genre as Shoot 'Em Up. Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford make every use of their opportunities to chew the scenery, but in a good way.

[spoiler]I was pleasantly surprised by the sort-of-not-really romantic tension between Craig and Olivia Wilde. Yeah, it's the standard "beautiful people become friends and allies," but Craig does a good job of conveying his preoccupation with his amnesia as well as the lover he sees in his flashbacks - he's too tied to her to have room for any silly intrigue. And lo and behold, Wilde actually fleshes out her alien role, someone who's had a human form long enough to know how humans work, but she's not subject to the same hormones and instinctual attraction to sexual magnetism that a human love interest would. Yeah, there's some attraction, but it doesn't manifest seriously and it's actually used in a useful way at the end.

[/spoiler]

You should really put a PLOT SPOILERS spoilers on that.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Okay, fair enough. I figure that the earlier reference to the spaceship isn't that spoiler-y since...you know...the movie is about cowboys and aliens.

Have you seen it? Got any commentary on what I was discussing in the spoiler?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Have you seen it? Got any commentary on what I was discussing in the spoiler?

I didn't intend to watch it but your spoiler made me actually want to see it.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Have you seen it? Got any commentary on what I was discussing in the spoiler?

I didn't intend to watch it but your spoiler made me actually want to see it.

Same

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

Haha, that's a first. Every other time I've inadvertently spoiled something, it's always been a negative reaction.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 am UTC

I went to see this movie with some what high hopes for it and for a while I thought it was doing pretty good. That is until they reveled why the aliens were on earth. After that it turned into one of those movies where you just start making fun of it while watching it. I mean there could have been better reasons for aliens to be on earth then what they chose.

On a side note, I was delighted to see that Steve Oodeker was a writer on that movie (which might explain some of it).
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:38 am UTC

Spoiler:
Harrison Ford's character and his son I found to be thoroughly irritating throughout the movie. I feel that the movie would have been better served with those characters rewritten to be less of a caricature of people or simply removed altogether. I say this as someone who is a fan of Ford. Clancy Brown definitely needed more screen time, he fit his roll like a glove and was a good anchor for Daniels. There are quite a few other things that could have been done differently to improve the movie, but I'm not feeling the need to elaborate. Movie rating: 7/10. Mediocre, though with some charms.

Any scores higher than that are biased by Craig Daniels in ass-less chaps.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 am UTC

ignoring the classic biggest alien movie flaw they are just going to come back with more people and guns

Pretty solid movie, my main problem was it didn't feel like there was any genuine(perhaps complicated is another choice of word) character development. Acting was great in my opinion, but didn't have a chance to show it well. Also, so glad it largely subverted sexist things I thought would happen.

Also did anyone notice that Craig's hat was clearly a hat of +10 armor; or at least he thought it was?

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:22 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:ignoring the classic biggest alien movie flaw they are just going to come back with more people and guns

Pretty solid movie, my main problem was it didn't feel like there was any genuine(perhaps complicated is another choice of word) character development. Acting was great in my opinion, but didn't have a chance to show it well. Also, so glad it largely subverted sexist things I thought would happen.

Also did anyone notice that Craig's hat was clearly a hat of +10 armor; or at least he thought it was?

in the graphic novel
Spoiler:
there is already a large resistance movement that humanity joins, and earth becomes protected by the resistance.

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

maxmillean wrote:I went to see this movie with some what high hopes for it and for a while I thought it was doing pretty good. That is until they reveled why the aliens were on earth.

I actually thought their motive was an amusing detail.
Spoiler:
Making the aliens basically high tech prospectors helped meld the genre-cross, IMHO.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Also, they lampshaded that in the movie. "Why would aliens want GOLD? wtf." basically.

Another note: The token minority died AGAIN.

Sam Rockwell was a great addition as the "guy who gets tougher."

Frankly, I think the most pointless character was the boy. I get what they were trying to do, show how he was growing up and that he represented several different characters' hidden histories/unfulfilled ambitions/resident kitten, but it was so disjointed and painted over with cliché, I couldn't appreciate him much.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

quantumcat42 wrote:I actually thought their motive was an amusing detail.
Spoiler:
Making the aliens basically high tech prospectors helped meld the genre-cross, IMHO.

I liked that plot point a lot. Also, I don't see why that motivation would be so hard to believe, if indeed it is rare--certainly it does have useful physical properties in terms of ductility, thermal and electrical characteristics, electronic properties that make it important for certain types of particle accelerators, and chemical properties that have recently been relevant in biological studies. It's not like it stayed valuable in modern society purely by being shiny.

Frankly, I like it better than the "water" and "people" motives that have become so cliche lately. It seems like you could end those invasions by just selling the aliens books about comets and/or robots. :?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Honestly, I'd say the movie's weakest point is towards the end, when some dodgy CGI and pedestrian video-game style fights combine to stretch suspension of disbelief - whereas the strongest point is more towards the beginning, when Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford and the rest can swagger around grunting and chewing Western scenery, and that alien bracelet is genuinely intriguing. It's kind of a case of the mystery being more interesting than the reveal.

Ryom wrote:Movie rating: 7/10. Mediocre, though with some charms.

Any scores higher than that are biased by Craig Daniels in ass-less chaps.

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Another note: The token minority died AGAIN.

response

Spoiler:
1. The indian chief lived, which I suppose should count for something
2. doesn't the occurence of that put some importance on timing? Like xmen first class where I heard they killed off the one black character immediately?

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:response

Spoiler:
1. The indian chief lived, which I suppose should count for something
2. doesn't the occurence of that put some importance on timing? Like xmen first class where I heard they killed off the one black character immediately?

x men spoiler
Spoiler:
it was about halfway through, and he really didn't get much character development... :| oh and the other black character at the same time leaves the x-men to join the bad guys. leaving the team kind of very white, thankfully they changed the traditionally white and scottish moira mctaggart into an african american and she survives until the end,

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:34 am UTC

I only had one real disappointment
Spoiler:
the line "What are they, demons?" doesn't get the follow up an internet-pop-culture-junkie is craving

Thought it was a pretty solid B-movie.

wannabe

Postby wannabe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I only had one real disappointment
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Olivia Wilde should have gotten at least a little neked. I mean when she emerged form the fire it would have been the perfect place to at lease flash her butt!

Other than that pretty darn good. 7.5/10
Disclaimer: I am not a scientist.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

Anyone think the constant hat grabbing was an homage to Indiana Jones?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

I think most of it was homage to hats fall off pretty easily, but there was at least one moment
Spoiler:
where they're running away from the space ship, and Jake hangs back to pick up his hat
that was definitely aware of the trope.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 am UTC

wannabe wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:I only had one real disappointment
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Olivia Wilde should have gotten at least a little neked. I mean when she emerged form the fire it would have been the perfect place to at lease flash her butt!

Other than that pretty darn good. 7.5/10

Spoiler:
Meh. Only if there was equally naked Daniel Craig, and mere shirtlessness in dim lighting doesn't count. We've all already seen him in a Speedo, so we all know he'd be up for it.

Honestly, I was really bothered by Wilde's eyebrows the whole way through. Who the heck keeps eyebrows that manicured in the wild West in the 1800s?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 am UTC

Obviously it's
Spoiler:
more evidence that she isn't human.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

DreadArchon wrote:I liked that plot point a lot. Also, I don't see why that motivation would be so hard to believe, if indeed it is rare--certainly it does have useful physical properties in terms of ductility, thermal and electrical characteristics, electronic properties that make it important for certain types of particle accelerators, and chemical properties that have recently been relevant in biological studies. It's not like it stayed valuable in modern society purely by being shiny.

Somehow I think its probably easier to convert common elements into gold than it is to build a space ship that can travel at any reasonable pace between solar systems.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Somehow I think its probably easier to convert common elements into gold than it is to build a space ship that can travel at any reasonable pace between solar systems.

And how much experience do you have at these two things? :shock:

The reliable creation of gold is normally done by supernovae, it's not really a laboratory-scale process. Finding an efficient long-distance travel method is no more of a sci-fi write-off than finding a reliable way to drive a fission process to create gold, and it could very well be more reasonable than artificial heavy element fusion.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:22 am UTC

Just saw this last night (it doesn't come out in the UK until Friday but a friend is part of a "previews club" thing so we got free tickets (woo!).

I pretty much agree with the general consensus to be honest, it's a great B movie and as long as you suspend your disbelief it's a fun film.

If you didn't want to suspend your disbelief here are some initial nitpicks for fun :) :

Spoiler:
- Gold, really?? GOLD?

- When they were fighting the aliens outside the ship (while DC was inside) not one of them thought to use the weaponry of the aliens against them once they had killed one or two of them. I can maybe understand them not being able to get a gun bracelet off them (let's say they're locked on) but a lot of the aliens had BFG type things that were very obviously gun shaped, I'm really shocked that not one of the 30-40+ people there thought that it would be a better idea than shitty six shooters and sharpened sticks.

- The futuristic lasso beaming method not giving a single person a case of "fractured spine"

- Are we really meant to believe that a species advanced enough for interstellar travel don't have the following:
- Intruder alert/burglar alarm
- Communications to home (they'd have sent a distress signal at the end easily)
- A means of using something other than gold for whatever they use gold for (or maybe they just like their bling)

- The "Plot Device" bracelet gun.
- It was meant to belong to the alien who was working on Daniel Craig, that alien was a fair bit bigger than DC yet the bracelet still fit him snugly.
- A Bracelet gun thing given to medical personell on a ship has the capibility to one shot kill any of your race from a good distance and take down your own ships with one shot too, good plan.
- I know they tried to explain it with "you control it with your mind" but seriously, it was a huge plot gun, it only ever worked when the plot needed it to and it was getting laughable.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

Just some thoughts to throw around:
Spoiler:
The gold thing didn't bother me that much. It's not terribly unreasonable to assume that travel is possible but rare elements must still be sought out. What I felt was unreasonable, was the way they harvested it; it seems they can liquify and pull gold from just about any distance. If this is the case, why even bother poking and prodding at whatever alien life form happens to be on the planet? Why not just fly over head and suck up all the gold and ignore the lifeforms?

As for the bracelet; surely the fucker had a homing device in the case of accidental loss?

I thought Olivia Wildes character was awfully manipulative; it'd have been interesting (and not at all within the scope of the film) to have her race be the bad guy in the end.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The gold thing just made me laugh. I saw it as a cheeky reference to old Western movie prospectors.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Especially when Harrison Ford's response was "That's just ridiculous!"

wannabe

Postby wannabe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

Well, the writers didn't just pull the gold thing out of their own butts.

There is some speculation on this by "official" alien "scholars."

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-al ... -3#slide-4

"Could gold be the ultimate link between humans and aliens? A church in southern France is said to hold the key to alchemy--and a gateway to another part of the universe. Locals in Cusco, Peru believe UFO sightings are connected to lost gold at the bottom of Lake Puray. And some believe underneath the Great Sphinx of Giza lies an entire library left behind by extraterrestrials--a library stored on gold. "
Disclaimer: I am not a scientist.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

In Battlefield Earth, the Psychlo's come to Earth because they find the Pioneer probe, and apparently it was plated in platinum or something, which led the Psychlo's to believe that Earth was a mineral rich planet. So just sayin', there's plenty of examples in sci fi of aliens or humans alike being intergalactic prospectors.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:00 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:In Battlefield Earth...

With gold having such useful physical, chemical, and nuclear properties, I tend to assume that the people protesting "alien prospectors" are basing their comments less on a rational objection and more on a reflexive lashing out against things that remind them of the Battlefield Earth movie.

This tends to make me very forgiving of such people. :P

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:21 am UTC

It was a book, and a damned good one.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:22 am UTC

Battlefield Earth was a good book, but we do not mention the movie.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”