The list of films due out in 2012 is pretty impressive

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Various Varieties

The list of films due out in 2012 is pretty impressive

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:25 am UTC

It wasn't until I saw this thread on another forum that I realised just how many major directors - both blockbuster and arthouse - have new films out next year. (Admittedly some could only be called "major" directors in geek circles!) It's a pretty impressive tally, and I struggle to think of another year when so many famous directors had films set for release - most of them looking quite promising:

Woody Allen (Nero Fiddled)
Wes Anderson (Moonrise Kingdom)
Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master)
Tim Burton (Dark Shadows)
David Cronenberg (Cosmopolis)
Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity)
Clint Eastwood (J Edgar)
Peter Jackson (The Hobbit)
Ang Lee (Life of Pi)
Terrence Malick (some as yet untitled project - wow, two films in two years; the guy is working like lightning! ;))
Sam Mendes (Skyfall - aka James Bond #23)
Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Rises)
Ridley Scott (Prometheus)
Bryan Singer (Jack the Giant Killer)
Steven Spielberg (Lincoln - and also War Horse, which is already out in the US but not everywhere)
Andrew Stanton (John Carter)
Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained)
The Wachowskis with Tom "Run Lola Run" Twyker (Cloud Atlas)
Joss Whedon (The Avengers - plus, he co-wrote The Cabin in the Woods, which has been getting some extremely positive early reviews)

... and there's a new Pixar film due out, from a fairly unknown director (Brave).
... and a new Aardman film (Pirates! In An Adventure with Scientists). Not exactly the "Rex the Runt" movie I long for, but it'll do. ;)

(Some of the above - J Edgar and War Horse - are already out in the US, but I'm going by UK release dates.)

Peter Jackson's last couple of films haven't been great (King Kong was OK but I've felt no desire to rewatch it since its cinema release; The Lovely Bones was entirely unremarkable, with a murder mystery that offered nothing beyond any standard TV police procedural, and fantasy visuals that were just twee). However, I'm pretty confident that The Hobbit is likely to live up to the quality of the Lord of the Rings films. Also, hopefully The Dark Knight Rises will join The Bourne Ultimatum, Goldfinger and Toy Story 3 as one of those rare third films that largely lives up to the quality of its predecessors.

However, the blockbuster I'm most curious to see is The Avengers. Joss Whedon was the ideal choice of writer/director, I think (Popmatters used to have an article arguing as much, but annoyingly it seems to have been truncated in favour of an advert for a book collecting Popmatters' complete series of articles about his work). For me the Buffy season 5 finale is a great example of balancing a restrictive running time to ensure sure every member of a large ensemble cast gets both moments of action badassery and more touching and subdued scenes, all in-character. I thought his Astonishing X-Men run proved he could handle established Marvel characters and both be respectful of their history and bring something new and personalised to them (even if his run wasn't quite as radical as that of his X-Men writing predecessor Grant Morrison). He clearly has a fondness for the Avengers characters, but if you've ever listened to any of his DVD commentaries you'll know how much he emphasises putting that fondness aside "for the good of the story" (which is usually how he justifies killing off characters! :wink: ). The thing is: Whedon's quipping dialogue style is very distinctive, and while I don't mind it (at least in small doses, in the mouths of appropriate characters), some people are intensely irritated by it.

For me a new Tarantino movie is always something to look forward to, but this one isn't likely to change the minds of those who think the "expoitation films with high production values" approach he's taken over the last decade was a regression after the more mature Jackie Brown.

Ridley Scott's last few films haven't been brilliantly-received (although having said that, the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut seems to have its fans, but I've never seen it). But Prometheus is his first feature-film sci-fi since Blade Runner, and the trailer certainly plays up those "Alien DNA" links Scott has been hinting at - not least the way the title gradually appears on-screen. (Several plot summaries of the project in different stages of development have leaked online, but I haven't been following them in much detail.)

And then in 2013 we'll have Charlie Kaufman's Frank or Francis and Neill Blomkamp's Elysium to look forward to...

Proginoskes

Re: The list of films due out in 2012 is pretty impressive

Postby Proginoskes » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:59 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:... and there's a new Pixar film due out, from a fairly unknown director (Brave).

Yeah, the Atlanta Braves are suing Pixar for copyright violation, over the word "brave".

Really.

BTW, Men in Black III is due out in 2012 as well.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:51 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:Joss Whedon (The Avengers - plus, he co-wrote The Cabin in the Woods, which has been getting some extremely positive early reviews)

Don't forget, he's also got Much Ado About Nothing coming out in the same month (assuming it doesn't get postponed since the initial "this project exists" announcement") as the other two.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:37 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:It wasn't until I saw this thread on another forum that I realised just how many major directors - both blockbuster and arthouse - have new films out next year.
Woody Allen

You don't say? (The last year that Woody Allen didn't direct a film was 1981.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

Proginoskes wrote:Yeah, the Atlanta Braves are suing Pixar for copyright violation, over the word "brave".

Really.

I didn't know that. That sounds even more ridiculous than Tim Langdell's trademark trolling of the word "Edge" in any videogame-related context. If you don't want to read all of those articles, this was the highlight:

Spoiler:
RockPaperShotgun wrote:However, Langdell had produced some floppy discs which stored logo, as evidence that it pre-existed the magazine. He claimed that the logo had been published on a “single page catalogue” and a flysheet he used at trade shows, but when asked to show a physical copy said that there was, er, “scarcity of use” pre 1993. But those discs – he’d saved “catalogue” and flysheet onto 5.25″ disc in 1991. He was home free! But wow, it was about to get brilliant.

The disc was too delicate to be shipped to the UK, said Dr Tim. Despite it already having been sent across the Atlantic twice. The court ordered him to send it over. And thus Langdell sent the disc to an expert, Mr Steggles of Disklabs, who verified that the disc was indeed from 1991, and said that in his opinion it was “genuinely created at that time.” Surely Langdell was finally onto a winner? Except, well, Future’s expert, Mr Dearsley of Kroll Computers, pointed something out. The content had been created by Windows 95.

Amazing.

Dearsley also pointed out that the content had been “deliberately backdated”, and old Steggles was forced to agree that the disc, in fact, could not be from 1991.

But oopsie! Langdell said the disc had been sent in error! This one was a copy he’d created in the mid-1990s for a reason he couldn’t remember. You know, all those people using 5.25″ floppies in the mid 90s to back up a flier they’d made in 1991 that no one had ever seen.

BTW, Men in Black III is due out in 2012 as well.

I missed out next year's Spider-Man movie, too, but that was because Marc Webb isn't really a major director. MIB3 director Barry Sonnenfeld's probably much better-known than he is, though.

smw543 wrote:
Various Varieties wrote:Woody Allen

You don't say? (The last year that Woody Allen didn't direct a film was 1981.)

Hadn't realised that! Still, I'll leave him on the list - every little entry helps! :)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Proginoskes wrote:
Various Varieties wrote:... and there's a new Pixar film due out, from a fairly unknown director (Brave).

Yeah, the Atlanta Braves are suing Pixar for copyright violation, over the word "brave".

Really.

You're saying they *trademarked* cultural appropriation? Really? I can just blame atlanta for that shit from now on?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:37 am UTC

The two movies I'm most looking forward to this year, both mentioned in the OP's list:
Django Unchained. I'm a huge Tarantino fan (Kill Bill is my favorite movie ever), and I'm curious what type of film style he'll attempt to make it (he said Inglorious Basterds was his attempt at a western, for instance). The name obviously comes from a famous western (Django) but I'm guessing it'll be a different style due to the fact that Inglorious Basterds was, as I mentioned, his take on a western already. Though, I've recently discovered I love spaghetti westerns, so I won't complain if it's another western-style film either.

The other is Prometheus- it was originally very much a prequel to Alien (my favorite sci-fi film), but apparently that got reined back in a bit. Though, from watching the first trailer, it doesn't seem like they reined it back very much- or perhaps they had gone too far originally. Either way, Alien is one of my favorite films, and I wish they had ended the story of Ripley after the second one.. so I'm pretty hopeful for this. The title sequence in the trailer was done the same, for instance.

I'm also tentatively hopeful for the Hobbit (as mentioned in it's own thread). I suspect I'll also like the next Bond film for filling the action movie slot for me. Not too big on superhero stuff, but Avengers should be somewhat neat.

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:16 am UTC

I'm not thrilled about John Carter. I love the original stories and don't think Disney can do it justice.

davdigsb

Postby davdigsb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:22 pm UTC

Witing for the Django Unchained. Hope it'll be no worse than Inglorious Basterds :)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 am UTC

They're obviously trying to cash in on the whole End of the World thing.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 am UTC

Weeks wrote:They're obviously trying to cash in on the whole End of the World thing.

Of course! The Apocalypse will probably be the running theme throughout public life this year, after all!

And what better thing to do then to make movies about the one thing that will be on everyone's minds, right?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”