Are there any Objectivist "Ayn Rand" kid's movies?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Are there any Objectivist "Ayn Rand" kid's movies?

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

I finally got around to seeing The Muppets today. You may recall there was a non-story in the news when it came out about how opposed it seems to be to big business and rich oilmen.

It got me thinking: are there actually any kid's movies that reinforce Objectivist philosophy in which selfishness rules the day and the weak are properly crushed by the strong and such forth?

I feel like someone has probably asked this question before, but Googling things like <objectivism for kids> turned up no obvious links.
Jorpho

Re: Are there any Objectivist "Ayn Rand" kid's movies?

Postby Dhes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

Maybe this will help, personally I think some of the explanations are farfetched.
conservapedia
I’m dyslexic, so I tent tot pull things way out of contacts.
Dhes

Postby Vaniver » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 pm UTC

You are unlikely to find a movie that respects all the Objectivist virtues or vilifies all of the Objectivist vices at once. It seems more likely that you could assemble a set of movies that each spoke to one virtue or vice. For example, The Incredibles has a message of "I'm a superhero but society doesn't want me to be" and rejection of the cult of self-esteem that seems like something Objectivists would approve of, but the protagonist is a tireless altruist.

Looking at this list, it seems like you could find a number of them that are appropriate for kids, but I'm wary of the Children's Classics category. It's not clear to me what's Objectivist about The Little Mermaid.

Dhes wrote:Maybe this will help, personally I think some of the explanations are farfetched.
conservapedia
Those explanations grew progressively more horrifying as I got the growing impression that they were all serious.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby Ghostbear » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Those explanations grew progressively more horrifying as I got the growing impression that they were all serious.

I was only able to make it as far as seeing Star Wars on the list.
Ghostbear

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 am UTC

I mean.... Iron Man?
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby folkhero » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Looking at this list,

This is getting further off topic, but why is Untouchables on that list? A movie where the prohibitionist government agents are the unambiguous good guys doesn't strike me as being all that Objectivist.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

I guess if they have to stretch things like that, then indeed, there is no particularly Objectivist movie. Or not yet, anyway. The Sword of Truth got a TV series, after all.

For some reason Kull the Conqueror springs to mind, particularly the bit at the end when the oppressive laws of the land get all smashed.
Jorpho

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

Yeah, the list is pretty lame. Did someone fight something more powerful using the powers of independence? Was the hero acting alone? Inspiring others to act with them?
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 am UTC

Yeah, someone should DOS that place.
Sockmonkey

Postby Kisama » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

Ummm... maybe The Incredibles, sort of. Also, anything with Scrooge McDuck in it?

Edit: Whoops, I somehow didn't see Incredibles mentioned in the second response...
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4
Kisama

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 pm UTC

quite a few good suggestions via this link
http://objectivistanswers.com/questions ... st-virtues

a few Pixar movies mentioned, but I feel perhaps Ratatouille might be a good one.

Postby infernovia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 am UTC

I would consider exactly none of them as Randian. But then, I don't know how any of the other books work besides Atlast Shrugged and her psuedo-philosophy. As far as Nietzschean, you could always go for comic books. :)

The problem here is that I don't keep track of kids movies really. It's much easier to represent mangas and comics cuz they usually have kids in mind.
infernovia

Postby Jorpho » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:a few Pixar movies mentioned, but I feel perhaps Ratatouille might be a good one.
Hmm, interesting. Gousteau's substandard restaurant is usurped by a more efficient business model, and when someone else steps in to take it down and restore it to its traditional roots, it fails spectacularly. It sort of works.
Jorpho

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:03 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:a few Pixar movies mentioned, but I feel perhaps Ratatouille might be a good one.
Hmm, interesting. Gousteau's substandard restaurant is usurped by a more efficient business model, and when someone else steps in to take it down and restore it to its traditional roots, it fails spectacularly. It sort of works.

I was more thinking of Remy's character as being slightly of the objectivist mindset, if you take away his familial loyalty, which is forced upon him anyway, and pales in comparison to the familial loyalty held by his ratty peers. He basically uses Linguini as a literal puppet for his own ends, and is in the end successful running the restaurant by rats who have strength in numbers.

Also interestingly another Brad Bird written/directed picture.

Postby Metaphysician » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I mean.... Iron Man?

Yeah, actually, I think Iron Man works.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Metaphysician

Postby Jorpho » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

But it's about a powerful industrialist that abandons a profitable line of business because it makes him feel bad. And who thenceforth gives up his own time and resources to protecting the weak.
Jorpho

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

No, it's about a wealthy man (incidentally, not entirely self-made) who refuses to bend to the government, and through his own ingenuity and financial resources, accomplishes goals. Again, for fucks sake, libertarianism is not about 'pursuing the bottom line at all costs'. Also, at least in the Iron Man movies, we have an incompetant government and public security forces, compared to wildly intelligent private forces and security teams, we have government sponsored media covering up for them, and of course, not to forget, Tony Stark's declaration that he 'privatized peace'.

Metaphysician, I wasn't suggesting it as my own idea, Tony Start has been praised as the libertarian super hero from the get go.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Return to Movies and TV Shows