Futuroomba!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cephalopod9

Re: Futurama

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:42 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Whoever wrote that second episode needs to realize that when you make sex jokes, fanservice, and nudity so common that they become expected, they kind of stop being funny. OTOH, I feel like that episode may have been a great big "ha-ha we're on Comedy Central now where they let us use DIRTY WORDS" directed at Fox.

You think an episode where the villains is a Giant Ball of Censorship might have some commentary in it? They didn't go too far with it, but yeah...

I didn't notice bad words (except maybe V-giny), but Futurama's done a fair bit of nudity before now, and for the most part it feels less like fanservice, than people just hanging out naked.
smw543 wrote:Anyways, I liked both episodes as far as humor is concerned, but a mixed bag story-wise. The ending of "Rebirth" was just ridiculous.
Spoiler:
Also, I'm pretty sure the Leela that ripped off her skin was actually the real one; not that it's a big deal, but with all the twists, I guess I was expecting another one.
Weird, I might have been getting up for a cupcake during that part
Spoiler:
Real Leela still had that thing on her wrist...

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:40 pm UTC

I give the first episode of the new season a C+ and the second episode a B-.

It's awesome that Futurama is back, and I found both episodes to be fairly humorous, but the plots of both episodes were sub par for Futurama. I'm still holding on to this worry that Futurama is going to devolve like Family Guy did post-cancellation. :|
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Esquilax

Postby Esquilax » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

smw543 wrote:Anyways, I liked both episodes as far as humor is concerned, but a mixed bag story-wise. The ending of "Rebirth" was just ridiculous.
Spoiler:
Also, I'm pretty sure the Leela that ripped off her skin was actually the real one; not that it's a big deal, but with all the twists, I guess I was expecting another one.

Spoiler:
I think it was just a slight continuity error on their part; real Leela has that wristband thing, fake Leela has bandages. However, you see fake Leela start talking (with just the bandage on), then it zooms to her, then she lifts up her arms and you see both the bandage and the wristband. Then it goes to a different angle to show her ripping off her skin and she has just the bandage again.
Spoiler:

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

Esquilax wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I think it was just a slight continuity error on their part; real Leela has that wristband thing, fake Leela has bandages. However, you see fake Leela start talking (with just the bandage on), then it zooms to her, then she lifts up her arms and you see both the bandage and the wristband. Then it goes to a different angle to show her ripping off her skin and she has just the bandage again.

Spoiler:
And Bender has two eyes the moment he walks out of the cyclops-eating-monster. Then we can see him putting his eye back.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

While watching Red Sox pregame, I saw a clip from the opening sequence to Futurama. I thought they were going to advertise the show's return, but NESN was using it as a transition. Looks like the show is going into mainstream society. What catch phrases do you think will make it into the English language?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

I enjoyed the hell out of both episodes. Maybe it's because I sat down to just watch some new Futurama, and everyone else apparently sat down to look for problems with new Futurama.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

Am I the only one that was expecting
Spoiler:
A Star Trek: The Motion Picture reference with the giant satellite thing? It's just...they did a Star Wars parody with the vulnerable hole, it had a cryptic name, and was from a satellite thought lost years before! (Okay, Vger WAS a voyager probe, and the censorship ball was a V-chip satellite and a millitary satellite, but still)
Spoiler:

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The entire concept was a Star Trek:TMP reference, they just didn't call it out.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:51 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Spoiler:
The entire concept was a Star Trek:TMP reference, they just didn't call it out.
Futurama: Respecting the fuck out of its audience's intellectual abilities since pretty much ever.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:07 am UTC

I've seen the movie, but I heard a Futurama creator say how they work is that they throw out 500 jokes, and make it so that if you don't get the reference, the story isn't ruined, and you don't even know there was a reference.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 am UTC

Both episodes are going to be on again at midnight, in case anyone cares. I got the dvr set, wish me luck.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:43 am UTC

Anyone know if this has been picked up in the UK yet?

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:24 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
Spoiler:

True, but
Spoiler:
There was a pic circulating in Reddit which showed a shot where Leela had the bandage on one arm and the bracelet on the other (It was titled "quantum leela")
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:I've seen the movie, but I heard a Futurama creator say how they work is that they throw out 500 jokes, and make it so that if you don't get the reference, the story isn't ruined, and you don't even know there was a reference.

I believe that. I didn't know there was a reference and I still loved it. :D

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

Good, not great. Glad to have it back, overall.

Spoiler:
I spotted a couple of the continuity goofs with the Leelas. Didn't really distract me from enjoying it, though.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:39 am UTC

Durinthal wrote:Leelas

I believe the plural is "Leelae".

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:
Spoiler:

True, but
Spoiler:
There was a pic circulating in Reddit which showed a shot where Leela had the bandage on one arm and the bracelet on the other (It was titled "quantum leela")

Spoiler:
Was THIS the image you were looking for?

I'm assuming animator error, really.

SecondTalon - sucking the fun out of everything since 1746
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

Leela is the plural, Leelum is singular.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

Turangalila is sanskrit for "love song and hymn of joy, time, movement, rhythm, life, and death". So I guess you have to pluralize...in Sanskrit.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:27 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm assuming animator error, really.

Yeah. Like I said, it was just sort of "What?" moment. I only mentioned it to boost my nerd cred.

As for my complaint about the first episode, I watched it again and liked it a lot more. Yeah, the story (especially the end) was contrived, but I think it was intentional. In sitcoms, when your previous episode ended without returning to the status quo, the typical options are to ignore it (as they did with the beginning of each of the Futurama movies), or come up with an intricate plot to undo the changes. They went with the latter, but decided that contrived would be funnier than cohesive, and I think I agree.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

Hmm.

These new episodes need more cowbell Zoidberg.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

but you still have Zoidberg. You all still have Zoidberg!

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I was bugged by Bender being regenerated by stem cells like the others. He's a frikkin' robot! Generally they're a little better about crap like this and keep the science-breaking for puns or plotline needs. They could just as easilly had him rebuilt normally and still done the bomb thing due to lack of parts.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:
True... but then we wouldn't have seen a RoboSkeleton.

The Futurama writers have gone on record as saying essentially "We're going to be scientifically accurate... unless it's funnier to not be"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Stem-cell robot was totally a funny play on how nobody gets what stem-cells can, like, actually do. Personally, I enjoy the B-movie touches like that, too.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

After a comedy of errors recording the first two episodes, (not sucessfull BTW :cry: ), I recorded the third. The ending was questionable, much like the fourth movie. I can't wait to see phase III of Mom's plan.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Recording TV! How quaint!

I think they're just going to let that ending stand as-is, despite how suddenly it came. I don't mind much.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:31 am UTC

Yeah, I expect it to be like the end of 'When Aliens Attack' (i.e. everything goes back to normal). Still funny, though.

Also, am I the only one confused about:
Spoiler:
The state of Fry and Leela's relationship? They decided that they loved each other a couple episodes back/at the ending of the last movie, but in the last episode it seemed more like they were just close friends again. Maybe I missed something, I dunno.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:Yeah, I expect it to be like the end of 'When Aliens Attack' (i.e. everything goes back to normal). Still funny, though.

Also, am I the only one confused about:
Spoiler:
The state of Fry and Leela's relationship? They decided that they loved each other a couple episodes back/at the ending of the last movie, but in the last episode it seemed more like they were just close friends again. Maybe I missed something, I dunno.
Real answer?
Spoiler:
Fry and Leela are getting a Happy Ending, but much of the comedy and such comes from Fry trying so hard and Leela going through various emotional responses that basically all boil down to "Fry's sweet, but an idiot. Can I deal with that?" Though things do change, the Status Quo is still God. Fry is a loser with no girlfriend, Leela's too defensive to let herself get comfortable with a guy, and whenever she does it ends with the guy being a jackass at best.

So.. whenever the show is canceled, they're together. Once it's back, they're apart. So... I don't expect them to be a couple until it's canceled again.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 pm UTC

Fair enough, I'll accept that. Also, new episode later tonight.

Edit: Which was quite excellent, in my opinion, with one of my new favorite one-liners:

Spoiler:
"Momma said Spock you out!"

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

Yep, latest episode was top notch. Especially Bender, some of his lines were vintage stuff. Still not enough Zoidberg yet though...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:15 pm UTC

I like how if you had closed captioning on, the barks of the dog in Bender's casing appear at the bottom of the screen as, "Where am I? Is this TBS?"

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

Saw episodes 2 and 4 recently. Really funny. I did get a couple of Star Trek references. Was Star Trek: Voyager a reference to the first movie, or just an accident? Also, to show my geekiness: there was a Star Trek episode where a damaged earth probe met a damaged alien probe, the two used working parts to rebuild themselves into one probe.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Serious risk of Flanderization from the latest episode.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:18 am UTC

Fry's stupidity has been Flanderized pretty heavily before this, but it was usually in the form of one-off jokes instead of being a major plot point, which I like quite a bit better.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:34 am UTC

folkhero wrote:Fry's stupidity has been Flanderized pretty heavily before this, but it was usually in the form of one-off jokes instead of being a major plot point, which I like quite a bit better.

That's how it went with Homer as well. First he was merely blue collar. Then there was the odd joke where his slowness played part in the humor. Then his slowness turned into outright stupidity, and became a joke in itself. Then there was entire episodes dedicated to his stupidity. Then there was the Frank Grimes episode.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Fry's stupidity was kind of how the series started, Delivering a pizza for a Mr. I. C. Wiener. It's also been a pretty major plot point since it's been revealed
Spoiler:
by the Niblonians that Fry has an incomplete brain.
RogueCynic wrote: Also, to show my geekiness: there was a Star Trek episode where a damaged earth probe met a damaged alien probe, the two used working parts to rebuild themselves into one probe.
There was the movie (haven't quite figured out what order they go in) with an alien entity calling itself "Vger"
Spoiler:
Turns out to have originated from the Earth probe V(oya)ger
, which I thought "V-giny" was a pretty clear shout out to.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

It was the first movie, but there was also an episode where a probe designed to seek out new life ran into an alien probe designed to sterilize some particular species. The result was "Nomad", which ran around seeking out new life, then killing it. It also thought Kirk was its creator.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:40 am UTC

Fry has always been incredibly stupid. Anyone who disagrees with that has clearly been watching a different show than me. Maybe you've been watching the English translation of the Afghanimation clone of the show, "Glorious Time Wanderer's Adventures in the Name of Allah".

The creators of the show deliberately made the show and characters as extreme as possible from day one so that Flanderization was impossible, and made the characters the butt of the joke as soon as possible too, which is why you can laugh at Fry being crushed in the gears of a machine, but seeing that happen to Bart would be very disturbing. They were never treated with respect, so the show has never jumped the shark in regards to the characters, and they have never been Flanderized. How much more Jewish and pathetic can Zoidberg get? How much more of a party animal and kleptomaniac can Bender get? How much more promiscuous can Amy get, etc. The characters were Flanderized since day one.

cephalopod9 wrote:Fry's stupidity was kind of how the series started, Delivering a pizza for a Mr. I. C. Wiener. It's also been a pretty major plot point since it's been revealed
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Do you remember why? Because Fry is his own Grampa!
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am UTC

The latest episode has been the best of the new series. It actually felt like an old episode; I laughed out loud a good number of times rather than smiling very so often. Also, the preview for the next episode was great: Bender: "How do you humans deal with mortality?" Fry: "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”