Futuroomba!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: Futuroomba!

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

Acht, 2001! I knew I'd seen it somewhere. I really should watch the whole thing someday.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

I recognized the "Josie and the Pussycats" spaceship, but who travelled in the "Simon Says"? My dvr did some naughty things, and important dialog was lost, particularly the last five or six minutes. I managed to get it with last night's episode, but last night's episode skipped a little, about the time Seamus introduced himself. Good episode though.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

TheDancingFox

Postby TheDancingFox » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:05 am UTC

Woo! Loving the new season. I think the new episodes still hold strong. Also, they're looooaded with small back references to older episodes, things and characters that have appeared before. But it's at a level where if you miss the reference you wouldn't notice. For example, Bender's cigars in the newest episode, are introduced I think in the $300 rebate one?

Anyway, pretty great stuff. Actually, the new season has produced my all time favorite episode of Futurama, which would be The Prisoner of Benda.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:50 am UTC

That last one (s06e25) might just be the best episode of this half-season. Which is kind of sad, really.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Man, that sounded so much better on paper than it actually turned out. How sad.

Oh well, here's hoping next season picks up again.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:50 pm UTC

Dunno. If found it pretty hilarious. Though I think the three stories should have intermixed and been more confusing/crazy than they were.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:56 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Though I think the three stories should have intermixed and been more confusing/crazy than they were.
Indeed. It seems like most of the latter two were just spent with the characters sitting around and talking! Such a waste.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:30 pm UTC

I laughed more than most of the episodes of the season, but I agree that more intermixing would have been nice. Seeing the different styles was interesting though.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:05 pm UTC

The three vignettes episode was the season finale, right? I liked it, but it really seems like it would have been better as a mid-season episode. Then again, I missed nearly this whole season because I was so busy.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

Yeah, it felt more like one good mis-season episode than a finale.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

I agree, I think Overclocked would have been a better finale. That episode was awesome.

Cahojama

Postby Cahojama » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 am UTC

Just saw the Episode with Fry's dog Seymor, in Season 4.

I'll go bawl my eyes out in the corner now.
"There's a much simpler way of slowing time. You'll work it out eventually, and then wonder what all the fuss was about."

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 am UTC

i just remembered, i was going to ask here, because i'm sure someone will know

the statue with "and it's crew" (because it is a possessive 's, like "this is Avatar's post" not an abbreviation of "it is") was correct, and Leela incorrectly got them to change it to "and its crew" right? at the time i wasn't sure if it was part of the joke or not.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:the statue with "and it's crew" (because it is a possessive 's, like "this is Avatar's post" not an abbreviation of "it is") was correct, and Leela incorrectly got them to change it to "and its crew" right? at the time i wasn't sure if it was part of the joke or not.

its = possessive; it's = it is.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:the statue with "and it's crew" (because it is a possessive 's, like "this is Avatar's post" not an abbreviation of "it is") was correct, and Leela incorrectly got them to change it to "and its crew" right? at the time i wasn't sure if it was part of the joke or not.

oh, ok, i've just been getting it wrong for a loooong time and no one has corrected me.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:

oh, ok, i've just been getting it wrong for a loooong time and no one has corrected me.

Think of it this way. You always use an apostrophe in possessives. So with it's and its, it's completely illogical and the other way around. Really, it should be both. But that's language for you.

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
maybeagnostic wrote:

Think of it this way. You always use an apostrophe in possessives. So with it's and its, it's completely illogical and the other way around. Really, it should be both. But that's language for you.

Or, how my momma always says, the implied extra character from "it is" is more important than the possessive apostrophe.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
maybeagnostic wrote:

yeah really the only use for its would be plural, but "its" would just become "them" i guess, and i suppose his, hers and theirs don't have apostrophes so i guess it makes sense

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 am UTC

Feel free to use "it's" for possessives, but if you do, make sure you use "hi's" and "her's" as well, for consistency. And... "mi'ne", I guess.

Or, less flippantly: possessive forms of pronouns don't have apostrophes - "my/mine", "your/yours", "his", "her/hers", "its", "our/ours", "theirs", "whose". There is an exception, though, in "one's".

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:00 am UTC

...ehh, see, this is why everyone needs to study either greek or latin.

There's a difference between a genitive pronoun and the possessive "s". If you're unsure, the better rule of thumb is only to use an apostrophe in anything if it is actually missing some letters or contracting words, because that's kind of what an apostrophe does.

its = genitive third person pronoun
it's = "it is"

her = genitive second person pronoun
hers = possessive

The possessive apostrophe "s" generally only gets used with proper nouns.

Sandra's, teacher's, Chelsea's

So anyway, back to Futurama?

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:...ehh, see, this is why everyone needs to study either greek or latin.

There's a difference between a genitive pronoun and the possessive "s". If you're unsure, the better rule of thumb is only to use an apostrophe in anything if it is actually missing some letters or contracting words, because that's kind of what an apostrophe does.

its = genitive third person pronoun
it's = "it is"

her = genitive second person pronoun
hers = possessive

The possessive apostrophe "s" generally only gets used with proper nouns.

Sandra's, teacher's, Chelsea's

So anyway, back to Futurama?

If you'll allow me one more grammatical diversion, I'm fairly sure that "her" is a third person pronoun, not second person. But that was probably just a typing error.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:38 am UTC

2 and 3 are so close together on the keyboard!

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

I just saw a rerun of "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" on Comedy Central. The part where Bender says, "Hey, let's all join the Reform Party!" they changed to Tea Party. Awesome. :mrgreen:

That is all.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:20 am UTC

So, it's back. People care, right?

Dason

Postby Dason » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:54 am UTC

I care!

I'm not too sure what I thought of the two episodes for the season opener. I kind of liked the one where Bender had a kid but not as much as I normally enjoy Futurama episodes and the other one was just 'meh' to me. Then again I didn't really like most of the last season the first time I watched them but after a couple of viewings they grew on me.

But also - How the hell did Bender not know how robots can reproduce? He already had a kid that he gave to the robot devil so... shouldn't he have known at least the basics of robot reproduction?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

This is Bender you're talking about.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

Both episodes had their moments. Am I the only one that thought the soda machine potrayal was a little racist?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

Yeah, it's unfortunate that they brought Wanda Sykes to guest star, but made her character little more than a bad stereotype and plot device. The idea that all robots are terrible parents by default is kinda funny though, since they don't have emotions or whatever.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Both episodes had their moments. Am I the only one that thought the soda machine potrayal was a little racist?

She DID live in the Basura Blanca trailer park (lit. "White Trash"). I don't think it was written as a black character, they just happened to get a famous black comedian to be the voice actress.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

RIP Seymour (1997-2012)

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:24 pm UTC

B-b-b-bored as hell today...

2012-07-07_18.14.05.png
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 am UTC

I think this last one (The Six Million Dollar Mon) might have been the best of the season so far, though The Thief of Baghead was pretty good too.

Some of the writing in these episodes feels just a little bit off – like they're taking plots from the comic books and trying to make 22-minute episodes out of them, but can't decide which bits to leave on the cutting-room floor in the name of making a coherent story.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:03 am UTC

The plot was very Ship of Theseus.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

"My job is boilers and toilets, toilets and boilers. And that one boilin' toilet. Fire me if'n you dare".

Scruffy is such a legend.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:02 am UTC

I thought Fun a a Bun was pretty good and all, but Jesus, how many times are they going to do a
Spoiler:
Leela thinks Fry is dead
storyline?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Fry: "Kill all Modern Humans!"

Bender: "Hey this guys alright"

:lol:
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:25 am UTC

This last one, "Viva Mars Vegas", was pretty good!

Looks like two more episodes next week and that'll be it for a while.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am UTC

I think I find it reassuring that there's at least one television program development team where someone can throw out the idea "what if everyone was salmon?" and that idea can go places.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

The one last night with the fox pointed out something that has changed in the series. Bender is more of a social activist now instead of an amoral, pleasure loving fiend. I think back to Crimes of the Hot where Leela asks why he cares about the turtles. Now he seems to care about every damned thing.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

emceng wrote:The one last night with the fox pointed out something that has changed in the series. Bender is more of a social activist now instead of an amoral, pleasure loving fiend. I think back to Crimes of the Hot where Leela asks why he cares about the turtles. Now he seems to care about every damned thing.

the thing with Bender is, he does care, he just thinks caring is lame, he cares about himself more than anything, but he's not amoral he's just incredibly selfish, and only actually likes one human in the universe.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”