Futuroomba!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

smw543

Re: Futurama

Postby smw543 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:52 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Eh, writing four episodes that also have to tie together in a coherent way is way, way different than writing four episodes that stand on their own.
Which seemed a rather pointless restriction, since I never once saw any of the new episodes played by themselves. They were always shown together (all four in a row) as a mini-marathon.

Hmm, does anybody know how much of the original writing staff they're getting back?
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

Well, if this new season was just confirmed, I'm sure some people are frantically on the phone right now trying to figure that out.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

I just heard about the new season too. I hope it's true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8092758.stm
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

mr_pathetic

Postby mr_pathetic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Awesome.... way past due, I can only recite the lines from the original 72 so many times.... :lol:

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:39 am UTC

Woo! And not in a "gas escaping from the fat folds of a morbidly obese human Bender" way, either. I can't wait to add seasons 6 and 7 (assuming the movies make up season 5) to my collection.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:33 am UTC

What? Recast voice actors? Nooooooo

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:15 am UTC

Whaaat? No way. No way, they can't recast! If they don't have Billy West, that's like, half the characters gone. I refuse to believe it. It'll sort itself out.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:05 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:Whaaat? No way. No way, they can't recast! If they don't have Billy West, that's like, half the characters gone. I refuse to believe it. It'll sort itself out.

*hug* I know guv, I know. Shhh, shhh. It will be okay.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:20 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:Whaaat? No way. No way, they can't recast! If they don't have Billy West, that's like, half the characters gone. I refuse to believe it. It'll sort itself out.

*hug* I know guv, I know. Shhh, shhh. It will be okay.

*sniff* Make Mr Groening and Fox stop fighting!
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:23 am UTC

Sometimes, when a writer and a network love each other very much.. they have to have an argument to clear the air, okay honey? And sometimes it's better for their creation if they split ways for a little while. Don't worry, they still both love you very much. So long as you buy their products.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:33 am UTC

"Phil LaMarr posted 20th Century Fox's request for auditions on his Facebook page. "
Tell me that's not really how they do things.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:15 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:"Phil LaMarr posted 20th Century Fox's request for auditions on his Facebook page. "
Tell me that's not really how they do things.
Oh god. They're going to ruin Futurama... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

Futurama is awesome! You gotta love Bender! :P
If English teachers teach English and Maths teachers teach Maths, then Head Teachers must teach...
Live in the UK? You must click here!

velocipirate wrote:but the question is, which cheese would a velociraptor choose?

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

I was hoping this would be resolved at the ComicCon panel (happening right now), but nope. We're doomed! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:53 am UTC

causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

Y'know, frankly I'm torn. On one hand I thought the movies were slower and more uncreative (I'll never sit through TBWABB again), so I'm looking forward to a return to the episode format, but I probably won't watch more than a couple of episodes for curiosity if they don't bring back the original cast.

Honestly Futurama confounds me. On one hand it makes stabs at continuity and cohesion, and handles some emotional moments very well while still immediately following them with an irreverent joke, but the ubersilliness of the world and callousness of the characters makes it difficult to get into as much as Groening's sister show in its heyday.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Y'know, frankly I'm torn. On one hand I thought the movies were slower and more uncreative (I'll never sit through TBWABB again), so I'm looking forward to a return to the episode format, but I probably won't watch more than a couple of episodes for curiosity if they don't bring back the original cast.

Honestly Futurama confounds me. On one hand it makes stabs at continuity and cohesion, and handles some emotional moments very well while still immediately following them with an irreverent joke, but the ubersilliness of the world and callousness of the characters makes it difficult to get into as much as Groening's sister show in its heyday.

There's a lot of truth in this. The problem, if you wanna call it that, I think, is that the writing staff of Futurama is relatively independent, in that any of about fifteen writers will write an episode according to his/her tastes and regard for continuity etc (for example, Ken Keeler, who I think wrote the BWABB, and BBS, while an awesome writer, doesn't give two shits about continuity, and finds it hard to understand that an audience can invest itself even in cartoon characters). That episode of course goes through an extensive collective process before you get a final script, but the individual writers still influence how the episode will go. Part of the reason Simpsons declined so in quality I think is because Matt Groening is very easy to work with, in so far that he won't stick to his guns very much when it comes to what his initial vision for the show was. For example, he opposed with a fury the episode of the Simpsons where Jay Sherman from The Critic shows up, with the reasoning that if you do a cross-over with another show, the show becomes less real, and he never wanted the Simpsons to be cartoon, which is why Homer really gets hurt when he falls down the cliff, he can't bounce and then get back up again, he needs to be wheeled out to an ambulance. Now, I'm not entirely sure exactly what kinds of power Groening has, even though he created the show, but none the less he allowed it to be made. This is the case with a whole bunch of stuff that slowly turned the show into a silly, occasionally funny over-the-top sitcom, and not the family-centred semi-realistic top quality comedy it once was. Futurama so far seems to have been a bit more consistent in this respect, but then the show was created from the get-go by both Groening and David X Cohen, who seems to know what they want.

/lots of speculation and Simpsons-nerd trivia put to 'good' use.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:27 am UTC

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:(for example, Ken Keeler, who I think wrote the BWABB, and BBS, while an awesome writer, doesn't give two shits about continuity, and finds it hard to understand that an audience can invest itself even in cartoon characters).

Although there is a theory that characters' emotions are utterly vital to the plot/SF-heavy Ken Keeler episode "Time Keeps on Slipping".

Take note of this comment in particular. ;)

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:48 am UTC

Sure. But Ken Keeler also wrote The Principal and Pauper, which was basically a big Fuck-You to the audiences (An episode I have later learned to love, only after hearing Mr Keeler's explanation for why he wrote it).
- Hesiod, Theogony

NawlejSeekur

Postby NawlejSeekur » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:43 am UTC

I'm a bit late in saying this (Hi, I'm new :)), but Futurama's an extremely underrated show and I was so disappointed when they stopped showing it on Fox. The movies they showed on Comedy Central about two months ago were a bit strange, though. O_O

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

I knew if I wished hard enough it would happen! Nothing's a total load!
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

HighCharity wrote:I knew if I wished hard enough it would happen! Nothing's a total load!
Assuming you wished with your wallet by buying the boxed sets/movies (or at least, enough other people did), then yes, wishing does work! :mrgreen:

HalfEvil333

Postby HalfEvil333 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:35 am UTC

This might be a good place to ask if anyone knows where I can find a video of 2 sections of Futurama.

The first is a short clip about the Neutrals. I can never remember what they actually say which is why I want to see it again (for quoting reasons of course). It was one point in the show I liked the most. "If I die, tell my wife Hello".

The second is part of an episode where Bender and Fry were locked up in a cell or something. The lines when something like this:
Bender: Lets see if we can get out of this steam pipe
*breaks hatch*
Fry: No good it's full of steam!!!

That part made me laugh so hard, I would really like to find it somewhere.
Spoiler:

Loves: Photoshop, Games, Music.
Hates: Life.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:54 am UTC

HalfEvil333 wrote:The first is a short clip about the Neutrals. I can never remember what they actually say which is why I want to see it again (for quoting reasons of course). It was one point in the show I liked the most. "If I die, tell my wife Hello".

That would be from Brannigan, Begin Again.
HalfEvil333 wrote:The second is part of an episode where Bender and Fry were locked up in a cell or something. The lines when something like this:
*breaks hatch*

Love's Labours Lost in Space.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
HalfEvil333 wrote:The first is a short clip about the Neutrals. I can never remember what they actually say which is why I want to see it again (for quoting reasons of course). It was one point in the show I liked the most. "If I die, tell my wife Hello".

I think this is possibly the funniest Brannigan episode.

Zapp Brannigan wrote:It was almost the perfect crime, but you forgot one thing: Rock crushes scissors ... but paper covers rock ... and scissors cut paper. Kif, we have a conundrum. Search them for paper, and bring me a rock.

One day a man has everything, the next day he blows up a $400 billion space station and the next day he has nothing. It makes you think.

I hope the new series hits the ground running, I need some new Futurama :D

HalfEvil333

Postby HalfEvil333 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:58 am UTC

phlip wrote:

HalfEvil333 wrote:The second is part of an episode where Bender and Fry were locked up in a cell or something. The lines when something like this:
*breaks hatch*

Love's Labours Lost in Space.

I love you! ^^
Spoiler:

Loves: Photoshop, Games, Music.
Hates: Life.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

It's 2010 now, so what's the story here? Of course, with new seasons of Doctor Who and Stargate Universe starting up (not to mention Adventure Time), there's enough to watch already.

EDIT: Oh, wait, June 24. Carry on.

Various Varieties wrote:Although there is a theory that characters' emotions are utterly vital to the plot/SF-heavy Ken Keeler episode "Time Keeps on Slipping".
Also, this link is kaput. Could someone please redirect me?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Click the link, change the word spirituality to science.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Bennt

Postby Bennt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

Tonight!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

Or possibly earlier, if you're one of those people!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

Futurama is back, bitches! First episode was great, second episode was so-so. Not bad, but not fantastic. I'm still super-excited about it being back however. As far as I can see there's been little to no degradation in the animation or voice acting. The writing, well it's early days yet, too soon to tell.
- Hesiod, Theogony

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:57 am UTC

Whoever wrote that second episode needs to realize that when you make sex jokes, fanservice, and nudity so common that they become expected, they kind of stop being funny. OTOH, I feel like that episode may have been a great big "ha-ha we're on Comedy Central now where they let us use DIRTY WORDS" directed at Fox.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

I didn't get to see it. I'm hoping Comedy Central streams it or something soon. (I know I could torrent it, but this is one instance where I do want my ad revenues to be counted.)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

I hadn't seen the fourth movie before. I thought it was kind of trying to hit me over the head way too hard with its satire in some parts, but I enjoyed the meta-humor about trying to tell a good story, the tinfoil hats society, and everything else. The first episode fantastic, but I agree with aleflamedyud's opinion on the second episode. I was only laughing during Zapp Brannigan's runaway explanation at the end.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

I haven't seen it yet but I'm worried the characters will all be changed like how family guy got changed when they brought that back. I liked the movies for the most part, Bender's Game the most, so I think I need to watch these new episodes :)

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

I missed the last night's show and forgot to record. Comedy Central's tv schedule lists a "Rebirth" episode airing at midnight tonight. Please tell me that's the first new episode. My life has no meaning without Bender.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I missed the last night's show and forgot to record. Comedy Central's tv schedule lists a "Rebirth" episode airing at midnight tonight. Please tell me that's the first new episode. My life has no meaning without Bender.

Yep, Rebirth was the first new episode. I actually thought the second was a little better than the first. The nudity was overdone, but it felt like a Futurama episode, and less like the movies.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

smw543

Postby smw543 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I didn't get to see it. I'm hoping Comedy Central streams it or something soon. (I know I could torrent it, but this is one instance where I do want my ad revenues to be counted.)

It's Comedy Central; they replay new episodes of everything at least five times before the next one airs.

Anyways, I liked both episodes as far as humor is concerned, but a mixed bag story-wise. The ending of "Rebirth" was just ridiculous.
Spoiler:
Also, I'm pretty sure the Leela that ripped off her skin was actually the real one; not that it's a big deal, but with all the twists, I guess I was expecting another one.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”