chronicle

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

chronicle

Postby Jessica » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Saw this last night. I actually really enjoyed this movie. The "found footage" worked well, and wasn't too much of an issue. They also were able to work in a number of steady cam shots (they used their telekinesis to hold the camera steady and film themselves). Also, the characters were completely believable. They acted like teenage boys would, they had real problems and real fuck ups.

I totally suggest this to anyone who enjoys superpowers and thriller like movies.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

quantumcat42

Re: chronicle

Postby quantumcat42 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:48 pm UTC

Agreed. I especially enjoyed how they used the ubiquity of recording devices to tell the story (especially towards the end). This is the sort of movie that only became feasible in the last ~5 years.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:27 am UTC

I loved it, but why in the helling hell did they have to
Spoiler:
Black guy dies first
???
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:I loved it, but why in the helling hell did they have to
Spoiler:
Black guy dies first
???

The worst part about that is it made the death unintentionally hilarious, kinda ruining the moment.

I enjoyed the movie, the guy I watched it with thought it started to slow but I found it well paced.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm UTC

I was pretty pumped for this, but am considering just waiting for it to come out on dvd.

Scary?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

It's more like Super 8 than Cloverfield.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

While I haven't seen either super 8 or cloverfield, my understanding of those movies is that it's correct.

Spoiler:
It's not really scary. There are a couple shocks, if I remember correctly, but it's more about the slow corruption of a fucked up teenager with super powers, then it's about some terrifying thing you can't see off screen because the people recording are running away from it.

Also, the black guy dying first... just not cool. He was such an awesome character too! Like, sure he's the typical popular kid, but he actually seemed to have a personality.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

I liked this movie too. Though since the 4400, I lose suspension of disbelief on telekinetics who try to kill people in methods other than causing immediate internal organ/spinal/brain damage. Especially if it's demonstrated to not have a line of sight limitation. Doesn't make for good movies though, so I suppose it's worth it.

Pacing was decent, characterization was excellent, and the "fall into darkness" arc was one of the better ones I've seen. Telekinesis for steadycam shots was something I really hoped they'd do and do well. And they did.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm UTC

Woopate wrote:I liked this movie too. Though since the 4400, I lose suspension of disbelief on telekinetics who try to kill people in methods other than causing immediate internal organ/spinal/brain damage. Especially if it's demonstrated to not have a line of sight limitation. Doesn't make for good movies though, so I suppose it's worth it.

This is a general movie/TV problem with any type of super strength. If you can pick up a car or break down a steel door you clearly have the ability to exert enough force to break bones without much effort.

Kisama

Postby Kisama » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 am UTC

I too was very pleasantly surprised when I watched Chronicle - I was expecting it to be some B-grade rubbish, like Skyline, but it turned out to be extremely good :) Enjoyed the characters, except that if I was the kid with the
Spoiler:
drunken, abusive dad I would have flipped out at him sooner, and therefore probably to a lesser extent than going on a murderous rampage. Also he often seemed to be almost indifferent to his mother's suffering, but that could have just been poor empathy on my part, or I suppose it could have been a deliberate foreshadowing of his future psychopathic behaviour.

I know it's a tired and racist cliche that the black kid dies first, but I think that if you completely ignore their skin colours, his character was the logical one to kill off. The other two were cousins and had a childhood friendship, which increases the emotional impact of their climactic battle.

Chen wrote:
Woopate wrote:I liked this movie too. Though since the 4400, I lose suspension of disbelief on telekinetics who try to kill people in methods other than causing immediate internal organ/spinal/brain damage. Especially if it's demonstrated to not have a line of sight limitation. Doesn't make for good movies though, so I suppose it's worth it.

This is a general movie/TV problem with any type of super strength. If you can pick up a car or break down a steel door you clearly have the ability to exert enough force to break bones without much effort.

Haha, just reminded me of Buffy, which I recently started watching - sometimes vampires can rip apart metal doors like they're made of cardboard, but other times leaning a small filing cabinet against a wooden door will seriously slow them down.
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”