8%
Yet another Ba'al clone
5%

Total votes: 93

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Stargate SG-1

Postby mosc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

stargate universe is another series or we just get more piss poor movies?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

New series aimed towards the BSG crowd.

And knock it off with the movie bashing. They were decent.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 am UTC

We get both. According to the news stories on Gateworld, we'll be getting an Atlantis movie late next year, and Stargate Universe will start in the Fall. So we won't actually be "missing" any Stargate, but it will be a new series. Personally I wish they kept Atlantis (or Canceled SG-1 back when it should have been, and started Universe then), but we're going to have to make due with what we get. Or stop watching if they continue to degrade the franchise into more crap (although the latest season of Atlantis has been promising, I have my issues with it).

PrecariousAssumption

Postby PrecariousAssumption » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:08 am UTC

I love SG1
Replicaters were the best EVER
they looked so awesome
I wanted to sex them up
atlantis replicaters sucked allot though
This shit, it is banana's

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Those weren't replicators. They were Asurans.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

As I'm only halfway through season 2 so far, it only took me a few posts to realise I shouldn't be reading this thread just yet.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:05 am UTC

Kazuke wrote:Those weren't replicators. They were Asurans.

They called them Replicators but the only real link to SG-1's replicators are being machines.

Also: Atlantis cancelled? Unsurprising.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Shady

Postby Shady » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

The best villain has to be Ba'al. Over the top bad guy with a South African accent...can you really beat that? There were some really great villains though. Obviously the Anubis story arc was awesome, and the replicators have been a great enemy in SG1 and Atlantis. Adria was interesting in the final 2 seasons + Ark of Truth too.

I'm a huge SG1, but I also love Atlantis, and I'm pretty gutted that they cancelled it.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

I think I'm going to enjoy Universe.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

Do we only have to talk about villains on this thread, or stargate in general? I think that the show was great, even the last 2 seasons though I agree that you have to think of them as a separate show. My favourite thing about it was the fact that it referenced to so many different mythologies and it had great special effects. Having Daniel die all the time was funny, especially when they start taking the mick out of it. RDA rocks :D
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Ba'al. He was the only villain with real.... "Class". Not to mention the only one that ever really seemed to realize "Oh, hey. If I let Anubis destroy the Taur'i, I'm pretty well screwed. Maybe I'll help them and not betray them."
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Finally some Ba'al love!

As much as I like to be a film snob, I still have two weaknesses, one is for caper/heist movies. the other is for villains that are Magnificent Bastards. Any movie/series that can pull off either of these tropes I will pretty much love, (not that I didn't love SG-1 already)
Anubis is a close second for approaching magnificent bastardhood in the diner scene, but in my opinion, he was mostly just a chessmaster villain.

Also, I never really liked the replicators, it always seemed that beating them was too 'deus ex machina'-y and even the best replicators (Fifth and Replicarter) lacked much appeal to me.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

Ba'al was a total Classhole. And Cliff Simon has the best accent ever.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

I always like Maybourne as a villain. I much prefer the internal conflicts to the huge, galaxy spanning ones. I think they give the show some perspective.

Also, I haven't seen series 9-10, and don't intend to.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Magnificent Bastards

Off topic a little, but you have given me the exact reason why I liked the end of doctor who season 3 so much more than season 4.

But really, I liked SG1 far more before the ori. Stargate universe sounds pretty cool though.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:I always like Maybourne as a villain. I much prefer the internal conflicts to the huge, galaxy spanning ones. I think they give the show some perspective.

Also, I haven't seen series 9-10, and don't intend to.

If you liked Ba'al at all, he gets a lot of screen time in the last two seasons. Which really saved them. (That and it becoming Fargate, if you know what I mean there.)
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

I am resurrecting this thread to talk about this past weekend's Stargate Atlantis episode.

As you might know, Jewel Staite (aka Kaylee from Firefly) has been on the show.

Friday's episode focused on her and the character Rodney McKay. There were subtle Firefly references, and even an appearance by Bill Nye! Bill Nye called dibs on Jewel Staite which is hilarious.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Yes, I think it was one of the best non-story line SGA's yet. Bill Nye was awesome, though I feel sorry for the people who didn't grow up with him, as it isn't quite as cool then.

btw, who was that black guy who demoted Pluto? I am not as up-to-date with American science shows as the writers I guess.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Here ya go: Neil McGrass Tyson.

And now I just watched Bill Nye slap a guy and tell him to Man UP.

GREATEST SHOW EVER!
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Thanks for the name, I don't feel so bad about not recognising him.

I know :) Bill Nye here was hilarious, he pretty much made that episode (hence my friend in England finding it only ok. "I'm an engineer, I can still do maths." Also, checking the maths as he went along, duh!
GNU Terry Pratchett

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

I watched Bill Nye slap a dude. "Man Up!"

Life status: Complete

And Keller and her Strawberries. My geek senses tingled.

circumlocuted

On Atlantis: Rodney McKay vs Bill Nye

Postby circumlocuted » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

I loved the most recent episode of Atlantis!
Not just was Bill Nye cast as himself, but he had some great moments.
"Pfft whatever, 'science guy'"
"I am an engineer I can still do math!"

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

SG-1 fans should head over to Amazon. I'm pretty sure the sale is only good for today.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:38 am UTC

This was taken off of streaming (along with Atlantis) at Netflix on August 15th. If you've got a subscription contact them and let them know you'd like it back! Still available for streaming on Amazon.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:50 am UTC

Is there a forum for the Stargate tabletop RPG, or was that something that nobody had interests in? (I'm having trouble finding the search function after a long hiatus).

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:32 am UTC

Ask in the Gaming forum. It includes tabletop games.
GNU Terry Pratchett

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:26 pm UTC

necro'd into expecting a revival.

Though the franchise can't be revived after Stargate: Universe.

You guys remember the Universe episode guest starring RDA? He made jokes and the characters SMILED for two seconds? Can't have that! How did that show ever make it to 3 seasons anyway?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:43 pm UTC

...I quite liked Universe. Maybe it shouldn't have been Stargate. But I quite liked it on its own. The sense of isolation and struggling to survive on an ancient alien spaceship when you can barely open the doors... worked quite well, for me.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:07 pm UTC

In hindsight, I think the biggest problem with Universe is that it wasn't very self-aware. SG-1 and Atlantis knew exactly what they were and owned the hell out of it. Universe was trying to be something different and I don't feel like anyone involved really had the confidence in what they were trying to do in order to make it work as well as it could.

Except Eli. Eli was the show's one saving grace for most of Season 1. Until (and I don't remember the exact point) Rush started figuring things out as well sometime late in the first season. And then the Second season was mostly other characters also starting to hit their groove. I feel like if the show had been given another season or two, it could have definitely turned into something better than it was.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:17 pm UTC

The personality swapping stones were the worst part of Stargate: Universe. Because seriously if there was a massive life threatening problem, you'd call up Sam or McCay and get them to switch with random nobody on the ship and solve your issue. Or the time they needed a doctor and there was only that medic there. There must be a TON of actual surgeons that could just swap over to deal with your issues.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”