Airbender and Korra - Shyamalan's Masterpiece Animated

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sockmonkey

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Postby Sockmonkey » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:Okay, saw the last few episodes. A few thoughts:

Spoiler:
The entire retaking of Ba Singh Sei (sp?)--finally, we get to see the secret society in action--plus, actually laughed outloud at Boomi's quip ("ALL old people know each other! Didn't you know that?"). Butgames?).

Loved that line.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Spoiler:
From my understanding, the turtle helped bend Aang's energy so that he would be able to reach the Avatar state and it was the rock that fully activated it.

I mean, the turtle could bend the energy inside people so it should in theory have no trouble unblocking that chakra.

And the turtle is a Deus Ex Machina but then again, the damn thing found Aang and brought him to where the Battle was going to be. Very smart omnipotent turtle.

(I kind of want an Adventures of Cabbage guy and Foam Mouth dude miniseries)
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Okita wrote:I kind of want an Adventures of Cabbage guy and Foam Mouth dude miniseries

Good lord yes.
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Spoiler:
My understanding about Aang getting twinged in the back to unlock the avatar state was something akin to busting up scar-tissue. It hit a reset on his block. His attachment to Katara had nothing to do with his inability to enter the avatar state, remember, he was taught how to clear his chakra's by an enlightened swami guy, not an avatar. This is why that speech by the various avatars was so mind meltingly intense; Aang, a 12 year old boy, is being told that he can never achieve the enlightenment he was raised to seek.

Spoiler:
I thought it was made pretty clear that for Aang to attain control over his avatar state, he had to release his feelings for Katara; this seemed a little counter-intuitive since we've seen previous avatars who had control over their avatar states (Roku, when he fucked up the previous Fire Lord) and simultaneously maintained romantic relationships, but I assumed they'd go the route of showing that Aang would be willing to let Katara die to save the world. They didn't; there was a little of that in the Crossroad episode (instead of helping Katara, Aang locks himself in crystal and proceeds to meditate), but it wasn't clear whether he had successfully detached himself from her and now the only thing that was blocking him was a physical barrier or whether it was a combination of the injury and his inability to detach himself from Katara that was blocking him. Again, a lot of murkiness here with the themes--we see the guru talking about detaching yourself to the world, then we see previous avatars telling him he can't ever do that. Are we to assume the guru was wrong? What was the point of having the guru as a character, then?

Let me also take this opportunity to point out that I was really expecting Aang to die. As in, it seemed they were foreshadowing the SHIT out of it--am I the only one who thought this? "Death is an illusion", references to friendships existing over lifetimes (his friends make friends with the new avatar), the story told in the cave of love (aang and katara), the inventors in Aang's old air temple becoming the spiritual successors of the air-benders (and thus eventually developing air-bending), so on--I'd be supremely curious to find out if they actually intended an end with Aang's death, but eventually dumped it because of resistance from sponsors.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:02 am UTC

I got the season three DVD, and've been watching it through.

Towards the end of the Puppet Master, Katara get's up, does some silly hand movements (She's not bending at the time), and raves about the power of the moon. Now, at face value, it seemed like a terribly written break from character, but then I found it reminding me of something...

Is This An Intentional Sailor Moon Reference?!
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Dear Lord in Heaven I hope not.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:06 am UTC

aw, c'mon, Moon Power!

Does anyone know if the Mike and Bryan have any new projects planned?

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:28 am UTC

I've been keeping a closeish watch, but so far nothing.

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:39 am UTC

On the casting of the new movie:

Avatar will have what appears to be an all white cast.

What.

WHAT.

WHAT.

And fucking before anyone starts, observe the bingo card:

(Bingo card linked from here)
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:20 am UTC

*pops into thread*

My friend saw that I'd joined the facebook group for this and linked me to that bingo card, and to one that made me laugh a bit more:

*vanishes*
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

1) What's POC stand for?
2) Put an X in "are you really so surprised"
3) I did briefly flare up with an "well the voice actors are mostly caucasian too" then realised that wasn't the point.
4) Insert Picard Facepalm ascii

EDIT: Oh, people of colour.. Is it accepted that that's far more racist than just saying 'black', 'asian' and the like or is it just me?

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

What annoys me even more than the race issue (which is a big deal) is that they're all Disney Channel pop star types. The only way they could have fucked this up more is by casting Zac Efron and the rest of the High School Musical cast.

... though I must admit, as a Kingdom Hearts fan the casting of Jesse McCartney makes me laugh. ZUKO IS ROXAS. OHNOES.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

POC is a convenient term because it comprises all the nonwhites, and it's a term many POC use to refer to themselves. Given that the bingo card Belial links to (mine doesn't use that term) was created by deadbrowalking, which is the name for the People of Color Deathwatch, I'd say they're pretty much fine with it. It's a relatively new coinage and as far as I know has no racist history. Coloreds may be the term you're thinking of, which is more of a 1960's thing that - doesn't it only refer to AAs? Anyway, it's what's used in all the corners of the blogosphere I've visited.

And I think, as for "are you really so surprised" the answer is generally no (I mean, they have a POC Deathwatch just for this), but what does that have to do with being angry?
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:23 am UTC

It occurs to me that they are completely missing their target demographic anyway. I mean, it's supposed to be 6-11 year olds, no? And of course then there's the adults who watch it too because it's awesome. But my point is, the people who would know the Disney Actors who were chosen won't actually bring anything to the movie. Jesse McCartney does not bring anything because when you're 6-11, I'm not sure you are at that obsessive stage that you care about who Jesse McCartney is and if you are older and do care, you probably don't watch Avatar.

I can't imagine anyone who watches Avatar to go: "Man, these people don't look remotely like my favorite characters but oh wow it's someone famous yay!"

I am... not quite willing to blame M. Night. At least not yet. The producers are definitely to blame though due to just misreading their audience, target market, and somehow grouping all Avatar fans into the "We follow young white actors" group. And for believing all of the crap that's in the above. If you want an example of studio/ producers being dumb, listen to Kevin Smith talking about Superman Lives + John Peters. Priceless stuff.

As for M. Night... I recall hearing what he said about Mel Gibson for Signs: "I was on my parents' sofa watching the video of Lethal Weapon, and then this guy did stuff emotionally that had no business being in an action movie. ... I completely believed the humanity of a man who was so torn by the loss of his wife that he wasn't afraid of dying, which made him a lethal weapon. ... [W]hen I wrote the movie about a guy who loses faith because his wife has passed away, I felt like that was the guy. And I also like taking an action guy and not letting him be The Guy."

I figure the guy who focuses on Mel Gibson for those kinds of things probably focused on those kid actors in the same way...Yeah.

Anyway, I'm linking this here for y'all: Letter campaign to attempt to fix Avatar.

Somehow, I doubt this will make much of a difference because it would mean that the producers would have to admit they actually made a mistake and fix their contracts and actually have to lose their jobs. But at least we can shout obviously that "You idiots should have known this movie would suck from the get go" and maybe get rid of some of the really really bad deadwood.

Although to be honest, I could give a long spiel (and I may do that later) about how producing and making movies in Hollywood can be really flawed. Just uh, watch that Kevin Smith clip and that pretty much gives you a taste though.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

MHD

Avatar: tLAB - 2 topic: The best bending and Air master tech

Postby MHD » Sun May 10, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

1 st. topic: The best form of bending

I value earthbending first and firebending seccond because they are the most useable for production and combat.

Earthbending has the master tech metalbending wich, if you pair it with firebending, makes smithing skills1 unlike anython ever before.
Furthermore Earthbending allows you to construc makeshift (or permanent) structures when you feel like it2.

1st footnote:
Spoiler:
There is a scene in book three where Toph constructs a battle armor from a steel door with little effort.

2nd footnote:
Spoiler:
There is a scene in book two where Aang constructs a zoo entirely with earthbending.

Waterbending comes in third for me because it in production mainly can be used for cutting hard materials (metal, wich is a useless gimmick if you know metalbending) and for cooling down stuff.

2nd. topic: Why doesn't Airbending have a master technique?

All other bending styles has a "master technique".
Earthbending has Metalbending.
Firebending has Lighningbending.
Waterbending has Bloodbending.

Whats left for Air? Vacuumbending?
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

SpazzyMcGee

Re: Avatar: tLAB - 2 topic: The best bending and Air master tech

Postby SpazzyMcGee » Sun May 10, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

Seeing as how they were all wiped out perhaps there was one and was lost. Or perhaps because of the pacifistic nature of the Air Nomads they didn't seek to improve air bending past a given point. Or maybe there just isn't a "master technique", only a continuum of air bending skill. But lets assume there is one and start speculating what it is.

Blood bending seems to be a natural extension of water bending since the human body is made mostly of water. Metal bending is a little more of a stretch and lightning bending doesn't even rely on combustion so its pretty detached from regular fire bending. I can't imagine air bending including anything besides the manipulation of gasses though. So what could be more useful then air bending involving gasses? I suppose "vacuum bending" as you put it would be useful for incapacitating others by sucking the air right out of their lungs, but I don't see that as being as useful as the other master techniques. Perhaps evaporation/sublimation?

Ooooh! Weather bending! That sounds like a good one. Creating a hurricane and wiping out an entire coast is at very least on par with the other master techniques although it admittedly has less application in personal encounters.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon May 11, 2009 5:16 am UTC

I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with has to do with Analytical Engines... Moved out of Religious Wars.

Dim memories suggest Avatar is a TV show, so moved to there. If I'm misremembering, I'm sure it'll be re-moved by someone else.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 am UTC

MHD wrote:Earthbending has the master tech metalbending wich, if you pair it with firebending, makes smithing skills1 unlike anython ever before.

Only if you happen to be the one metalbender in living history.

Earthbending has Metalbending.

That's more on par with bloodbending than anything else. It's not a secondary style like healing or lightning bending, lots of people can do those. It's something that only the absurdly powerful can do, and even then it's practically unheard of.

If you look at the "common" secondary styles of healing, lightningbending, and magnetism*, they all seem to capitalize on what their element does well, while being starkly different from the normal bending style. Water is a soft form, protective and indirect, so healing makes sense. Fire is a destructive form exclusively, so a narrowing of that destructive power to lightning also makes sense. Same with earth, which is all about being grounded, holding one's place and striking out from that place of strength: treating a wall as solid ground, and fighting at a distance without moving change the dynamic of that, while not being philosophically different.

Air is all about misdirection, avoidance, diversion, and movement. So an air secondary style would be kindof good at all or most of those things.

I suggest illusion.

*That is what the creators said was earth's secondary style, by the by. It includes a lot of the stuff Bumi and the Dai Li did, like spider-climbing walls and clinging to ceilings like they were floors, as well as manipulating earth-gloves to punch and grab people at a distance. It apparently only works on unrefined earth, but presumably toph could do the same trick with metal.

They/them

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon May 11, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Only if you happen to be the one metalbender in living history.

Air is all about misdirection, avoidance, diversion, and movement. So an air secondary style would be kindof good at all or most of those things.

I suggest illusion.

Now that actual metalbending is known to be possible Toph could teach it to others. Certainly Bumi could learn it, he's a mad genius! :lol:

As for the ultimate airbending tech, Illusion does seem like a possible candiate since mriages are caused by distortions and changes in the density of different air layers.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue May 12, 2009 10:33 am UTC

Metalbending seems less of a learned technique than just being the most badass earthbender ever. This is implied by her teachers being those mole things, that were the supposed inspiration for Earthbending, and probably her blindness has helped her to concentrate even more on the Earthbending, relying on it pretty much every second of her life. I imagine that isn't so easily taught.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue May 12, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:Now that actual metalbending is known to be possible Toph could teach it to others. Certainly Bumi could learn it, he's a mad genius! :¡This cheese is burning me!:

Yeah, what Jesse said. To do the metalbending thing, you have to already have earthsight, and also just the sheer raw power to pull an entire sheet of iron around using only the tiny earth-like imperfections in its crystaline structure. It is basically just a matter of being the most badass earthbender ever.

Same thing for bloodbending (and plantbending, for that matter). It is a matter of being so damn powerful that you can yank a whole organism around using only their water content.

As for the ultimate airbending tech, Illusion does seem like a possible candiate since mriages are caused by distortions and changes in the density of different air layers.

Well, also, the secondary techniques don't actually rely on directly manipulating the element. Healing doesn't work by moving water around, it works because bending is, above all, a spiritual art, and water and healing are conceptually linked.

Same for lightning. No amount of moving fire around will get you a lightning bolt. But the two are spiritually related, so it's all good.

So you could probably get away with weaving illusions wholesale, just because that idea would be thematically and spiritually linked to Air, you wouldn't actually have to be moving and contorting air to make it happen.

I could also see mind control.

They/them

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:24 am UTC

The finale did have
Spoiler:
spirit bending
but I don't recall whether they specified if that was related to air bending, or being the avatar.

There's also flight, by which I mean Appa flies without seeming to rely on manipulation of the air currents. If not a master technique, it is still pretty cool.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed May 13, 2009 11:25 am UTC

I think appa's thing is air manipulation, because theoretically the bison are where the airbenders learned bending (like the badgermoles, the dragons, and the moon-spirit for the other groups).

Spoiler:
And I think spirit-bending was meant to be an avatar thing. Being air would make no sense, because spirit is the domain of all four bending styles, and of the avatar (bridge between material and spirit worlds) in particular.

They/them

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

I know it's only tangentially connected to the topic, but I've always been confused as to why only the avatar could learn all the bending styles, or even more than one, surely someone else could make the leap to learning at least 2, even if it's just small things.

I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious that they explained though.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Well he's the world spirit destined to maintain balance between the elements for one.

They never really got into the matter of lineage, although they did mention it wasn't strictly genetic.

Furthermore, it seems quite a challenge to get the hang of just one element; if possible, gaining bending abilities in a second would probably be really really hard to do.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri May 15, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Plus each style has a culture built around it and so a lot of people would probably feel like they were abandoning theirs if they tried to focus on another style. I could envision Firebenders specifically feeling some loss of pride for trying to take on a second form of bending. There might also be spiritual concerns (Such as Firebending losing strength if the person's "inner fire" has dulled) for people who aren't the Avatar trying to learn the other styles. Some folks might even feel like they were trespassing on the Avatar's territory because of his or her uniqueness in this area.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri May 15, 2009 11:29 am UTC

Ceph is right. Bending isn't genetic. And it's not entirely learned: it's spiritual. Remember, AtLA is a world built on out-and-out Animism. You're an airbender because your culture and your spirit is aligned with air spirits. (This is also why you can see identical twins where only one is a bender, or the reason the entire Air tribe were benders: if you're sufficiently spiritual, you can bend your nation's element. If you're not, you can't.)

So the reason you can only learn one style? Simple. Those are the rules. If you're known by the spirits to be an Air Nomad, then you can call to the fire spirits all you want, with the most flawless of technique, and it doesn't matter. They're not doing shit for you.

Unless you're the avatar. Then all the spirits let you do whatever.

They/them

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sat May 16, 2009 7:04 am UTC

Besides, even if the spirits would somehow make special exceptions for average benders, would they really need more awesome things to do that their fellow people couldn't manage in their wildest dreams? It would seem rather unfair and greedy to be so super-special without being the maintainer of balance to me. :P Speaking of spirits: I cannot remember seeing examples of governing spirits for the other elements besides water in the series. Have examples been shown that anybody else can remember?
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:16 am UTC

There were those couple episode they crossed over into the spirit word. Off the top of my head, I mostly remember it in season 1, there was the one with the forest, and when Aang meets the Face Stealer in the finale. Oh yeah, in that episode
Spoiler:
Xaoh destroys the moon.... fish and then no one could water bend anymore.
Although except for there, while it's definitely spiritual energy, they don't really talk about it coming from specific spirits much, and on the flip side, there's stuff like
Spoiler:
increased fire bending power from a comet... Does the comet have a spirit? ... ...aren't comet's made of ice?

I wonder if any populations could merge or transition between elements. The Fire Nation colonies for example. Do you suppose their nationalism and such could convert people? (Although, the color coordination probably makes mingling between nations a little difficult).
There was some specialization with the sand bending and plant bending, but I think it was made pretty clear, if only outside of the show itself, that it wasn't bringing in a new element.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat May 16, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:Speaking of spirits: I cannot remember seeing examples of governing spirits for the other elements besides water in the series. Have examples been shown that anybody else can remember?

Not really. Most of the talk of spirituality was actually done by the creators in various interviews, or in response to questions. ("Where are all the air nomad non-benders in these flashbacks?" "There aren't any. The air nomads are so spiritual that 100% of their population can bend")

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat May 16, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

I suppose that fits in line with how Iroh is capable of mild water-bending in the form of lightening redirection.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

godonlyknows620

Postby godonlyknows620 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

But how is Azula, who is so obsessed with the idea of pure power, able to lightening bend? Is she also in touch with her spiritual side in some way?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat May 16, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Lightening bending comes with being a powerful fire bender. Lightening redirection was a technique iroh picked up from hanging out with water benders, afaik. He cannot produce lightening.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun May 17, 2009 2:03 am UTC

godonlyknows620 wrote:But how is Azula, who is so obsessed with the idea of pure power, able to lightening bend? Is she also in touch with her spiritual side in some way?

Sure. She has a great handle on her inner fire.

Also, she has the calmness of mind necessary. She's coldblooded like a motherfucker.

Izawwlgood wrote:Lightening bending comes with being a powerful fire bender.

From what I can tell, I'd have to disagree. It's hard to master, but it's more of a parallel discipline: being the best firebender in the world won't make you good at lightningbending, nor will lightningbending make you good at fire. As Iroh said, it takes an almost completely different mindset to lightningbend than it does to firebend, and unless you learn to shift gears, no amount of just being strong will do it for you.

Izawwlgood wrote:He cannot produce lightening.

Pretty sure he did. During Bitter Work, while he was trying to teach Zuko to do it. Zuko *sucked* at it, because he was unable to clear his emotions. So instead Iroh taught him to redirect.

I....uhh....I pay way too much attention to these details because I've been trying to convert this world into a roleplaying system for a while now.

They/them

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sun May 17, 2009 8:46 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I wonder if any populations could merge or transition between elements. The Fire Nation colonies for example. Do you suppose their nationalism and such could convert people? (Although, the color coordination probably makes mingling between nations a little difficult).

If the ability to bend the elements comes more from spiritual energy than specific spirits then I would say that this could be possible. After all: If you're just using the energy granted by your own innate spirituality then why wouldn't somebody from the Fire Nation be able to turn a colonist into another Firebender? If the ability works primarily because of spirits associated with the element then a person's circumstances probably wouldn't matter so much because their original nationality would determine their manifested bending style.

godonlyknows620 wrote:But how is Azula, who is so obsessed with the idea of pure power, able to lightening bend? Is she also in touch with her spiritual side in some way?

Being concerned primarily with power is also a great motivator to become more spiritual if that spirituality has tangible benefits. Azula always knew how to take advantage of her myriad opportunities so I could see her meditating for hours if she thought that would improve her technique by any amount. She probably had ideological limits like anybody else but those were apparently not enough to preclude her from being able to Lightningbend.

Belial wrote:Not really. Most of the talk of spirituality was actually done by the creators in various interviews, or in response to questions. ("Where are all the air nomad non-benders in these flashbacks?" "There aren't any. The air nomads are so spiritual that 100% of their population can bend")

Ah-ha! Yes, I have read some of those interviews, but some time has passed since I last watched the show so my knowledge of specifics is fuzzy. It's hard sometimes to keep updated on pertinent setting information that doesn't occur within the context of the world itself.

I....uhh....I pay way too much attention to these details because I've been trying to convert this world into a roleplaying system for a while now.

Wow, this is an awesome idea! I'd totally play with a system using this setting. Good luck with your conversion! :D

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun May 17, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

Belial wrote:It's hard to master, but it's more of a parallel discipline: being the best firebender in the world won't make you good at lightningbending, nor will lightningbending make you good at fire.

I may be rememebring this all incorrectly, but I was under the impression that the two old ladies who were training Azula, or at least overseeing Azula's training in the very beginning of the series were described as powerful firebenders. As they were critiquing her form ("Perfect, save one hair!" or something like that), I was led to beleive that lightening bending was kind of like turning firebending to 11.

... Come to think of it, don't all lightening bending techniques thematically appear quite differently from firebending? They are more fluid, circular (Tai Chi/Bogua influences?), and the hand is always closed with two fingers pointing. Very different from firebending, which is choppy and forceful, with the hand either in a fist or open palmed. Hmm. So ya, I can see lighteningbending as a lateral step from firebending, requiring, as you said earlier, a gathering of these high energy forces (I wanted to avoid the use of the word 'destructive' given what Zuko and Aang learn).

Also, I'm going to have to rewatch the episode were Iroh trained Zuko to redirect lightening, afai remember it, he merely showed him the technique and then when asked to produce lightening refused, either be cause he couldn't or wouldn't. In anycase, I'm curious to see if those 'ultimate' forms within the styles have style of themselves (Blood, metal) that differs from their users original forms. But, that said, the show intentionally makes the master childrens execution slightly different from the standard form, either to imply that they are uber or that they are purer of innocence and all. Toph and Katara both practice modified versions of their forms, and Zuko himself learns a twerked variant of his style. So meh. Yeah.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun May 17, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

I always wished that they had found some way of bring back airbenders in the last episode though. I mean, all four nations used to be in balance, so in order to have it restored you'd have to get the air nomads back on their feet even though their aren't any. Anyone know what the creators' thoughts on that were?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun May 17, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

Someone on a comment thread on shakesville pointed out that bringing back airbenders should be pretty easy.

Aang can spirit-bend now. He can probably just mosey up to the air temple where those technologists are hanging out, point at them, and go "Shazam, you're air nomads. Now get me a sandwich. Bending training's at 3."

They/them

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

Cool, I'd forgotten about them.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sun May 17, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Belial wrote:It's hard to master, but it's more of a parallel discipline: being the best firebender in the world won't make you good at lightningbending, nor will lightningbending make you good at fire.

I may be remembering this all incorrectly, but I was under the impression that the two old ladies who were training Azula, or at least overseeing Azula's training in the very beginning of the series were described as powerful firebenders.

They weren't Firebenders at all.

Spoiler:
Azula commanded them to have an Agni Kai before her coronation ceremony. They both said in unison that they couldn't fight each other that way because they weren't Firebenders. I suppose they both could have been lying but what would have been the point of lying to Azula? She knows how liars work and those old ladies personally in any case.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”