Airbender and Korra - Shyamalan's Masterpiece Animated

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thecommabandit

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Postby thecommabandit » Thu May 01, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I called bullshit at Azula's fire-jets. It's so... cheap. I mean, she's uber powerful, can throw blue fire or lightning AND she can fly? WAY too fucking much.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episodes. I like Zuko and Sokka as a team and episodes that basically tell Aang to bugger off are usually interesting.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu May 01, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Eh. She has *extremely limited* flight. I'm willing to accept that, compared to Aang's nearly effortless flight.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat May 03, 2008 1:50 am UTC

Heh. Heheh. "I'm new! What's up, everybody??"
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sat May 03, 2008 5:59 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Spoiler:
I called bullshit at Azula's fire-jets. It's so... cheap. I mean, she's uber powerful, can throw blue fire or lightning AND she can fly? WAY too fucking much.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episodes. I like Zuko and Sokka as a team and episodes that basically tell Aang to bugger off are usually interesting.

I thought that too. Did I post that already...I've said it a few times to other people, I might have posted it here too.

SilentSigil wrote:I swear I read a few short books that described the beginnings of this series pretty perfectly, first from the viewpoint of Sokka, (although the characters had much different personalities, and the whole feel was less 'hilarious')...

The damn books were even divided into 'chapters' in 'books' named after the elements. (The only group I had were in the 'Water' book.)

The southern water tribe was much more culturally significant than just a few dwellings and the remainder of a dying bending group, though... There was a (beautifully described) temple there that Aang flew around in when he got rescued. Sokka was all angsty that he couldn't bend like his sister, and that all the masters in the temple treated him poorly.

I immediately recognized the connections between the two when I saw the series for the first time, and I was all like 'Hey awesome, an interpretation of a series I never got to finish-- and it is fucking awesome!', but now that I'm looking around, I don't see anything referencing those books, or even that those books exist.

I was at my friend's house when I started reading them, and his family runs an online antique/odd objects auction thingy, so the original books that I read I may not ever see again...

Does anyone in the interwebs have any memories or knowledge concerning this? It has been roughly six years since I read the things, but I'd like to find them ALL and read them, if they even exist.

I haven't seen the books you mention, but I did read about a movie in the TV guide once that seemed to have a very similar story and may have mentioned airbending or something. This is very intruiging.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat May 03, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

One of my reactions:

Spoiler:
Me: Yay! They are getting away!... Oh shit! It's Azula! What is she gonna do?
*Azula blasts off to gondola*

... ROCKETMAAAAAAAAAN

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Mon May 05, 2008 7:32 am UTC

Aleril wrote:One of my reactions:

Spoiler:
Me: Yay! They are getting away!... Oh shit! It's Azula! What is she gonna do?
*Azula blasts off to gondola*

... ROCKETMAAAAAAAAAN
Heh.
Spoiler:
Volcano prison ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact it's hot as hell...
LOWA

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed May 21, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Those DVDs I was whinging about a few pages back came today. I was a bit disapointed that you can't just /watch/ the pilot, but otherwise superlative.

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

So... any news on new episodes?
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

Aaah! Why does IMDB have plot summaries for the next 5 episodes?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun May 25, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Aaah! Why does IMDB have plot summaries for the next 5 episodes?

IMDB just spoiler'd your ass.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue May 27, 2008 12:12 am UTC

A WARNING: There's a 64 page kids book floating around called Sozin's Comet that spoils the entire finale. Meaning people will probably be trolling avatar forums with spoilers and putting them up on wikipedia and imdb apparently. Thankfully I was warned in due time and am staying the hell away from anything like that for the time being - I was even a bit tentative coming to this thread.

Spoiler:
If you were ballsy (ie. Have no heart) enough to read this, the scans can definetely be found on LiveJournal

Joeldi

Re: what is The Happening about?

Postby Joeldi » Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

Why on earth is Shymalan doing The Last Airbender. Really doesn't seem his style

EDIT: I thought I posted this in the Happening thread, so either I'm more absent minded than I thought, or it got moved.
This explains why I double posted and why this is such an out of the blue comment.
Last edited by Joeldi on Thu May 29, 2008 11:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aleril
Le Rail

Re: what is The Happening about?

Postby Aleril » Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:Why on earth is Shymalan doing The Last Airbender. Really doesn't seem his style

Because he realizes his current style is starting to suck.

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Ok, now that the third season is drawing to a close... I'm going to give my reviews of the seasons. For the record, I love the show.

Season 1:
It all begins here. There are three kids going around the planet, and my god are they kids. Half the time they bumble just little enough to get away and the other half of the time they're almost cool. Sokka is mostly annoying and useless in this season, occasionally coming up with good ideas. Towards the middle the creators realized, "Holy shit this team has deadweight in the form of comic relief!" and actually gave Sokka some shit to do. The role they gave Sokka was well filled, but wouldn't be fulfilled until the second season. In case you're wondering, the Kyoshi Warriors episode is where Sokka begins coming into his own.

Season 1 ends in one of the more unexpected outcomes I've ever seen in television, and my god it was something awesome. Aang being compared to Azula?

Season 2:
Season 2 starts out OK, and then just gets EPIC. I just rewatched the first seven episodes of the season, and after each one I said "that's the best episode so far!" The bending, the martial arts, the weapons... it's unrealistic of course, but it's so epic! Especially the episode The Blind Bandit. Earthbending never looks so awesome as when Toph just uses smooth and strong motions to kick the ever loving shit out of the more pro earth benders.

The enemies get worse, and the series really comes into its own here. Season 2 is, in my opinion, one of the greatest seasons a television show could have. This season ends with the fall of an entire nation, quite the opposite of season 1. It shows that yes, in fact, the creators are willing to screw over the main characters.

Iroh, my favorite character from season 1, gets better in this season. I firmly believe he is the best firebender alive in the time of the series, even if Azula can lightning bend, even if Ozai is the fire lord... at the end Zhuko almost learns a lesson, which I think is really cool.

Season 3:
Season 3 started out mediocre in my opinion, and while all the episodes were fun and cool, they don't hold a candle to season 2. In season three there's the weird assassin with the eye, and he's never explained and that PISSES ME OFF! But the interplay between Azula and Zhuko is amazing, and
Spoiler:
the whole Boiling Rock episodes were perfect in playing this. Sokka and Zhuko worked together really well in this episode, and it was awesome to see May and the other girl finally realize that Azula's a bitch.

Sokka continues blossoming as a character in this season, and
Spoiler:
his reunion with Suki is really well done.

Based on later events, in terms of romance I used to think Sokka + Suki, but as of this point in the season Sokka + Suki seams more like a really close friendship. I think it's also fairly obvious Toph has a crush on Sokka, and I think those two would make a great couple... yes I know I'm shipping. STFU! lol.

Overall, all three seasons were very good, but Season 2 is far and away my favorite.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Err....what kind of explanation were you looking for on the assassin?

They/them

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Belial wrote:Err....what kind of explanation were you looking for on the assassin?

What the exploding thing was would have been nice.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Firebending. A specialized kind focused on his third-eye chakra, that allowed him to superheat a single point of the air, causing it to explode.

He discovered it very young, and blew off his own arm and leg. Thus the metal prosthetics.

They/them

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Belial wrote:Firebending. A specialized kind focused on his third-eye chakra, that allowed him to superheat a single point of the air, causing it to explode.

He discovered it very young, and blew off his own arm and leg. Thus the metal prosthetics.

Where was this explained? I remember none of this from the episodes... I mean, that's really interesting.

I'm not trying to say that Avatar is anything less than awesome... I knew something freaking cool was going on with the assassin, I just would've liked to hear what it was in the series.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:57 am UTC

Where was this explained?

Well, it was pretty clear what he was doing, I think, but there are little character, location, tool, and technique summaries for each episode on the nick.com avatar page, which is where they confirmed all that and mentioned the arm and leg.

They/them

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:08 am UTC

Belial wrote:
Where was this explained?

Well, it was pretty clear what he was doing, I think, but there are little character, location, tool, and technique summaries for each episode on the nick.com avatar page, which is where they confirmed all that and mentioned the arm and leg.

Yeah I don't get to nick.com very often. But that's part of what I love about the show... the only thing I want from it is more!

Gobo

Postby Gobo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

For those of us who haven't torrented the rest of season 3:

July 14: Ep. 52, "The Western Air Temple"
July 15: Ep. 53, "The Firebending Masters"
July 16: Eps. 54 and 55, "The Boiling Rock" (one hour)
July 17: Ep. 56, "The Southern Raiders"
July 18: Ep. 57, "The Ember Island Players"
July 19: Eps. 58 - 61, "Sozin's Comet" (two hours)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

They are showing them all in one week? I'm confused.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Bah, I'm off to Malaysia a few days before they start airing. I guess I'll have to have blinkers to the internet until I can find the episodes online as it'll be God knows how long until they're on TV here.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Gobo wrote:For those of us who haven't torrented the rest of season 3:

July 14: Ep. 52, "The Western Air Temple"
July 15: Ep. 53, "The Firebending Masters"
July 16: Eps. 54 and 55, "The Boiling Rock" (one hour)
July 17: Ep. 56, "The Southern Raiders"
July 18: Ep. 57, "The Ember Island Players"
July 19: Eps. 58 - 61, "Sozin's Comet" (two hours)

Not only am I confused by this apparent decision by Nick, what the hell do you mean by this

who haven't torrented the rest of season 3

You don't mean the last six episodes are actually floating around do you?

Gobo

Postby Gobo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

Yes. One of the reasons they are airing them all in one week is that almost everybody (except for you and me, apparently) have seen them already.

The DVD is coming out very shortly after the air date.

Edit to add—
Correction: apparently four of the six remaining episodes have leaked.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Not to any of the sites I have looked at.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Gobo wrote:Yes. One of the reasons they are airing them all in one week is that almost everybody (except for you and me, apparently) have seen them already.

I've never seen them. I had no idea they were out, and I only found out today that they're set to air week after next.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:30 am UTC

I gather that it's a misunderstanding based on the names of the episodes...
After all, four episodes were leaked, and there were six episodes if you consider Boiling Rock and Sozin's Comet just one episode.

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:32 am UTC

Just saw the commercials for that week's worth of Avatar! Oh me yarm Oh! I have to get myself to one big-ass TV and surround-sound system for that shit!

Can't wait... this is one of those shows that WILL be in my personal collection, alongside Star Trek: TNG and a handful of others.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:44 am UTC

What time slot are the comercials on durring?
I've started to forget a time when Nickelodeon's prime time slot wasn't crowded out with dime a dozen live action monstrosities.

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:56 am UTC

There was a time? I still have to sit through that stupid drake/josh spinoff (iCarly?) and Drake and Josh. They started showing Fairly Odd Parents again which is a plus... but every now and again Zoe 101 comes up and I just can't force myself to sit through that, not even for Avatar.

but I digress.

I don't really recall when, and I've been watching nick frantically to get more info, but it looks like it's starting the 14th of July and continuing until the friday, where there'll be a 2 hr event. I'm planning a party, not kidding.

The commercials make it all look epic, and I'm hoping we get to hear a lot more from Iroh, as he's my favorite character (and the one I identify most with).

adkriech599

Postby adkriech599 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Where can I find these last episodes? I swear, I've been through every dark alley I could find.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 am UTC

Nick Australia is playing Western Air Temple at the time of writing, and it still hasn't aired in the US right? Given that we waited Six months before we got the first half of Season 3 here, my mind is blown.

EDIT: Apparently I'm the most obsessed fan of this posting on this board - a new episode has just aired, and xkcd's avatar thread is being ignored.
Last edited by Joeldi on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gobo

Postby Gobo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:02 am UTC

It's on! Yay!

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:50 am UTC

Spoiler:
Haha, I love how Zuko accidentally cock-blocks Sokka hard.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Yeah,
Spoiler:
I was pleasantly surprised by how much they were able to get away with implying. Or maybe it's just my dirty mind.
Also, I enjoyed seeing a little dark Katara.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:51 am UTC

Yay for new episodes!
Spoiler:
It is your dirty mind, but lot's of us have those.
I like the very subtly implied Zutara/Katang tension.
It's kind of weird how far out of their way they went to avoid saying "killed" or "died".

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
Come to think of it, it was a pretty weird episode.
The refusal to say killed, the implied possibility of 'heavy petting',
The blood-bending - it was so spontaneous and unexpected, and Katara didn't even show regret about using it this episode - I'm kinda hoping that comes out later.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Yay for new episodes!
Spoiler:
It's kind of weird how far out of their way they went to avoid saying "killed" or "died".

Spoiler:
But they did it in a way which actually seemed natural, rather than forced.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

I have never liked Katara, but this episode just reinforced the dislike I have for her character.

Spoiler:
I thought it was a good episode, but definitely not at the same level as, say...The Boiling Rock. I did love the way Katara and Zuko snuck around like ninjas, and I am glad Katara doesn't hold a grudge against Zuko anymore. Really, really, really did not like Katara in this episode, though...

LOVED the Sokka/Suki bit. And did anyone notice that Toph was mysteriously absent for most of the sepisode? After the campfire scene, I don't think we saw her again.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”