Airbender and Korra - Shyamalan's Masterpiece Animated

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

une see
Is my girl

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Postby une see » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:23 am UTC

Spoiler:
Well, yeah, he doesn't need to know firebending for the invasion. But um...it's already halfway through Book 3: Fire, and he hasn't even started learning firebending yet. Isn't the whole point of naming the books after elements that he masters one element per season?
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:28 am UTC

Spoiler:
He didn't even start on waterbending until halfway through season 1, and didn't really get serious about it until an episode or two before the siege of the north. He didn't get down to earth bending until around the midpoint of season 2, either. I think he's more or less on schedule. I predict Iroh or Zuko will end up escaping from the fire nation during the midpoint episodes (10 and 11 will be a two parter of the day of black sun, if previous seasons are any indication) and he'll get down to learning firebending from them in time for the season finale..
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:38 am UTC

Okita wrote:
Belial wrote:nightmares and daydreams

Spoiler:
yeah, aang doesn't need to know firebending for the invasion because, as sokka pointed out, firebending won't be working then anyway. But, as Jesse said, the invasion will fail, and there will be 10 or so episodes of aang trying to learn firebending and stop Ozai before he harnesses the comet.

Unfortunately, there may not be a 4th season. Probably not anyway. Unless people continue to buy DVD's and whatnot. Yay merchandising.

OKita, there will definitely not be a fourth season, the writers et al have said this before. That changes nothing about what Jordan and I think is going to happen. Day of Black Sun will only be the mid-season double episode. There'll still be half a season to go afterwards.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:49 am UTC

Also, apparently they've mentioned something about doing later series following other avatars.

Girl knows more about this than I do though. And she is long since asleep. I think I will join her.

They/them

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:51 am UTC

Belial wrote:Also, apparently they've mentioned something about doing later series following other avatars.

Girl knows more about this than I do though. And she is long since asleep. I think I will join her.

Careful there, you need a cuddling mattress.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Nah, raptor arms are shorter than humans, so there is less of a problem.

ludwig_van

Postby ludwig_van » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
Anyone have thoughts on Aang remaking his staff/glider? That thing was crazy-awesome in that it was the only real focused tool anyone used for bending, aside from being a kick-ass glider that was related to his Air Nomad past. Could he remake it after this supposed failed invasion?

Also, Sokka's friggin' space-weapon should be actually powerful, no? Not only is it from outer space, but Toph can friggin' change its shape whenever she pleases, which might make it more powerful? Also, could it be resistant to some sort of bending being from space and all?

Is the next episode the double episode? Are we mid-season already?

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:54 pm UTC

Gah! The spoilers! The spoilers! In other words, use spoiler tags ludwig_van.

Spoiler:
At some point I can see Aang remaking the glider, simply because Airbenders will come back, and that is part of the tradition. However, I don't see him remaking it after the Day of Black Sun invasion unless they succeed. I simply think he won't have time to remake it after that if he fails (since you know, the whole fire nation will know where he is, and will follow him).

As for Sokka's weapon, I don't think it's really any different from a normal sword except that Toph could indeed bend it. Seriously, it wouldn't be resistant to fire seeing as how it melted down pretty well to actually be made into a sword. Toph can quite obviously bend the material so no earth resistance. Air will pretty much ignore it anyway. At most uh, maybe water? Then again, water more or less falls in with air.

Yes, we are already mid-season, and the two parter is coming up.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Hmm. In the between-season plot-reveal minigame on the site (trapped in the spirit world), they said that when Aang woke from his injuries/death, that he was no longer able to access the Avatar state. I wonder if maybe, just maybe, the avatar cycle is already broken, since he was technically killed in the Avatar State.

Maybe the air nomads *don't* have to return, because he's already the last Avatar.

They/them

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:53 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Aw man, that would suck. I think you've got a really good point there, however wouldn't episode 6 (The Avatar and The Firelord) prove that he hasn't broken the avatar chain since he was able to cross into the spirit world, and was still taught by Roku? I think that maybe he won't be able to access the Avatar State, but the chain won't be broken.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, he's still seeing Roku, and he's still doing the avatar-y stuff, which would seem to suggest that at least *that* part of the whole "Avatar" thing is still working. But it's possible that the chain of reincarnation is hosed now. But maybe not.

It would be interesting if they pulled a "Buffy" and said that since he "died", the reincarnation cycle moved on without him, and a new Avatar has already been born.

They/them

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

Spoiler:
That would be kind of weird, but not unlikely. However, since the child is born "within a week" of the avatar's death, one could suppose that the reincarnation cycle accounts for being brought back to life. Though if another child was born, could we possibly see a point in the future where they'll need two "avatars"? Also, would this mean that there will be a continuous stream of two "avatars"? Would this also lead to the possibility of a whole group of "avatars"?

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Hmm. Yeah, it could split the stream. To refer back to the buffy scenario, the way they handled it there was to say that the Slayer cycle had passed Buffy by. If she died again, a new slayer wouldn't be created, because the cycle was following the new slayer instead (first the Jamaican girl whose name I forgot, then Faith after she died). As far as the cycle was concerned, she was dead. It was just because of a loophole that, despite being officially dead, she was still walking around saving the world with her neat slayer powers.

They/them

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I still think it'd be pretty badass to see two avatars going after somebody together. Unfortunately, there's no knowing the outcome yet.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

True on both counts

They/them

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:56 am UTC

However, much like the Cheat
Spoiler:
Aang is not dead.
I can't say as I'm too knowledgeable of reincarnation, but I don't think multiple incarnations happen.
I think the comment about Aang not being able to access the avatar state meant that he hadn't yet gained full control of it. Furthermore, he probably wouldn't still be able to contact the spirit world, bend 3 different elements, talk to avatar Roku, and all that good stuff if his avatar status had been compromised.

B.C.

Postby B.C. » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

My thoughts

Spoiler:
The invasion is going to fail. Since Ba Sing Se is controlled by the Dai Li now there will be no Earth Nation support. It's really just Aang's group, the Water Nation warriors, and whomever shows up (Suki and the Kiyoshi warriors perhaps).
Zuko will probably come to terms with his identity as a "not really bad" dude and either join Aang's group or fight on his own. Iroh will bust out of Jail (I bet he knows the eclipse is coming, which is why he's training so hard physically). Iroh will then teach Aang proper firebending skills. If you've noticed, Iroh's style of Firebending is more about Finesse than flash and style. This will appeal to Aang who likes having a bit more control over what he is doing.

Spoiler:
I also have this itching feeling that Katara is going to die/sacrifice herself/be incredibly injured. This will cause Aang to finally release his 7th Chakra gate and just start whupping all sorts of ass. I know that seems highly improbable for a kids show to kill of such a huge character (and romantic interest) but it's just a theory.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:
B.C. wrote:Zuko will probably come to terms with his identity as a "not really bad" dude and either join Aang's group or fight on his own.
I kind of spotted that coming from a mile away. I mean come on, one could tell fairly early on that this was going to happen, and not just because it's cliche. Though Iroh teaching Aang, I didn't think of it, but that sounds perfect. He is definitely the right type to teach, and he already has the trust of Aang, Katara, and Toph, which in itself is a damn amazing feat.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:
They had a chance to turn Zuko at the end of Season 2, and didn't.

Honestly, I could see it going either way, Zuko turning on his father to become a 'good guy'. But I could also see Zuko just not being strong enough to do that and just hanging his head, and having a fight with Iroh.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:However, much like the Cheat
Spoiler:
Aang is not dead.
I can't say as I'm too knowledgeable of reincarnation, but I don't think multiple incarnations happen.
I think the comment about Aang not being able to access the avatar state meant that he hadn't yet gained full control of it. Furthermore, he probably wouldn't still be able to contact the spirit world, bend 3 different elements, talk to avatar Roku, and all that good stuff if his avatar status had been compromised.

Spoiler:
Well, the Avatar Cycle isn't really true reincarnation. The spirits, memories, and "souls" of the previous avatars are separate, and live in the spirit world (as seen by Avatar Kuruk's continued hunt for Koh). So it's not really reincarnation (the same spirit moving from body to body), the current avatar just has a connection to the previous avatars' spirits. The death of an avatar causes the birth of a new avatar. It's questionable if, once a new avatar was triggered, an avatar was returned to life, if that old avatar would retain his old powers.

I'm not saying this is what's going on, I just think it's interesting to think about.

pieaholicx wrote:
Spoiler:
I kind of spotted that coming from a mile away. I mean come on, one could tell fairly early on that this was going to happen, and not just because it's cliche.

Spoiler:
Cliche would've been having him turn at the end of the second season, or even in the middle. I think they've done a really good job with Zuko, honestly. He wavers, he's unsure, and when put under pressure he reverts back to his old ways of thinking, and then tries to justify it after the fact and fails. I really like how they're handling his character and his slow, unsteady, back-slide-prone conversion to the good side.

They/them

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:24 pm UTC

B.C. wrote:My thoughts

Spoiler:
I also have this itching feeling that Katara is going to die/sacrifice herself/be incredibly injured. This will cause Aang to finally release his 7th Chakra gate and just start whupping all sorts of ass. I know that seems highly improbable for a kids show to kill of such a huge character (and romantic interest) but it's just a theory.

Spoiler:
Yargh. I love Katara and I don't want that to happen, but I could definitely see it. She's been kind of a mother/teacher influence on Aang, as well as a crush. And the death of the parent figure pushing the hero to rely on himself is a huge theme in "hero's journey" kinds of stories.
You don't make them touch!

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:30 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Spoiler:
Cliche would've been having him turn at the end of the second season, or even in the middle. I think they've done a really good job with Zuko, honestly. He wavers, he's unsure, and when put under pressure he reverts back to his old ways of thinking, and then tries to justify it after the fact and fails. I really like how they're handling his character and his slow, unsteady, back-slide-prone conversion to the good side.

Spoiler:
While I guess that would be more cliche, I still think him turning at the end is cliche. I mean really, how uncommon is it for a major villain who's wavering between sides to turn good? The fact that he wavered at all was my clue that he'd turn good eventually.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:46 am UTC

Spoiler:
Remember how Zuko got his scar? I say foreshadowing.
I do love how he does the wrong things for the right reasons. (I bet Iroh's waiting for Zuko to bust him out of jail.) I just think, deep down he knows what's right, but it's a huge struggle to go through with it.

Belial wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, the Avatar Cycle isn't really true reincarnation. The spirits, memories, and "souls" of the previous avatars are separate, and live in the spirit world (as seen by Avatar Kuruk's continued hunt for Koh). So it's not really reincarnation (the same spirit moving from body to body), the current avatar just has a connection to the previous avatars' spirits. The death of an avatar causes the birth of a new avatar. It's questionable if, once a new avatar was triggered, an avatar was returned to life, if that old avatar would retain his old powers.I'm not saying this is what's going on, I just think it's interesting to think about.

Spoiler:
Are you sure? Each incarnation is a new life, but I think there is atleast an element of the avatar spirit that is caried on. It was explained that if Aang died in the avatar state the cycle would end. I don't think that would be an issue if it wasn't true reincarnation. Each avatar is a unique indivudual, but being the avatar is much more than holding a title. That is, Aang still posesses the avatar spirit, so I don't think it could be manifest in another body someplace. I'm not sure how one would go about returning to life. They didn't really clarify, but I suspect Aang was near death or dying, but not actually dead. Also, it's more mysticism and spirituality than science, so I wouldn't read too much into loop holes.
I wonder how they go about finding the new avatar outside of the Air Nomads.

Spoiler:
and as for the issue of character self sacrafice, I'm more worried about Mai, Zuko and of course Iroh. Maybe I just think it would be lame to maim or kill off Katara, but aside from the detachment/ chakra thing Aang doesn't really need the motivation (his whole civilization was destroyed, I kind of think he's had enough deaths of parent figures), and his letting her go is probably more poignant if she's alive and well. I can't really say what it is, but Mai and Zuko have kind of a 'one of them is going to to die' vibe. Plus Zuko is probably due for more drama. I wonder if Iroh knows what happened to Ursa...(ooh, the Avatar and the Fire Lord, betrayal maybe?) Zuko seems kind of on edge, like it'll take something significant(bad) to get him to change.
And as for getting hurt really bad, I kind of worry about Sokka and his impulsive warrior ways.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:And as for getting hurt really bad, I kind of worry about Sokka and his impulsive warrior ways.

Hmm, if the past episodes and their tone is anything to go by, I think it's quite unlikely Sokka will die. See, he's the comic relief character (despite having been fleshed out in a few previous episodes, much to my delight) and therefore may knock himself around a bit, but will only rarely get himself into real trouble. Well, if Avatar was you're standard-issue anime series, that is. As it stands, I'm not totally sure. I certainly hope he doesn't do something overly stupid, since I've become quite attached to all of the Gaang.

Belial wrote:
Spoiler:
Hmm. In the between-season plot-reveal minigame on the site (trapped in the spirit world), they said that when Aang woke from his injuries/death, that he was no longer able to access the Avatar state. I wonder if maybe, just maybe, the avatar cycle is already broken, since he was technically killed in the Avatar State.

Maybe the air nomads *don't* have to return, because he's already the last Avatar.

That's an interesting theory. But what interests me is that to enter the Avatar State at will, he had to let go of his affection for Katara, right? Obviously, that hasn't happened (or it has been reversed) as proved to us by the funny hallucinations in "Nightmares and Daydreams". So if he still likes Katara, is his 7th chakra open? Can he still enter the Avatar State? Has he been 'killed'?

Damnit, I wanted to answer questions, not make more! =(

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

Watch-avatar was taken down ("account suspended") some time in the past few hours. Just FYI.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:58 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Watch-avatar was taken down ("account suspended") some time in the past few hours. Just FYI.

This saddens me D=

Now I have to wait for 3-4 weeks for the next episode.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Looks like it's back up -- they say they were just moving servers.
Besides, you could always watch them on Veoh.

not unreal

Postby not unreal » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:00 am UTC

Spoiler:
thecommabandit wrote:That's an interesting theory. But what interests me is that to enter the Avatar State at will, he had to let go of his affection for Katara, right? Obviously, that hasn't happened (or it has been reversed) as proved to us by the funny hallucinations in "Nightmares and Daydreams". So if he still likes Katara, is his 7th chakra open? Can he still enter the Avatar State? Has he been 'killed'?

In "The Avatar and the Fire Lord," we see that Avatars are allowed to fall in love, get married, and have kids, as Roku did. I think that the seventh chakra is opened when you realize that whatever earthly connections you have, they are small in comparison to the big picture, and when you are able to let them go if you have to.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:44 am UTC

Yeah, just a server move.

Also, what is going on with airing times? First it was Wednesday, then it was 7pm yesterday, but that turned out to be a Season 2 episode. What is going on Nickelodeon?

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

apparently, episode ten is airing in both places on the 23rd.

They're putting a hold on new british episodes until the states catch up.

They/them

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

ProletarianAvenger

Postby ProletarianAvenger » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:43 am UTC

Belial wrote:apparently, episode ten is airing in both places on the 23rd.

They're putting a hold on new british episodes until the states catch up.

Now why would they go and do that. :(

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:53 am UTC

Probably because having to wait weeks for a new episode in the U.S. when they're readily available online was enough incentive for a huge number of their over-12 viewers to stop watching and start downloading.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:25 am UTC

True story. I was watching them every friday, until I realized the UK was ahead of us.

They/them

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

Imagine that. How did the UK get ahead of US in the first place?
thecommabandit wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:And as for getting hurt really bad, I kind of worry about Sokka and his impulsive warrior ways.

Hmm, if the past episodes and their tone is anything to go by, I think it's quite unlikely Sokka will die. See, he's the comic relief character (despite having been fleshed out in a few previous episodes, much to my delight) and therefore may knock himself around a bit, but will only rarely get himself into real trouble. Well, if Avatar was you're standard-issue anime series, that is. As it stands, I'm not totally sure. I certainly hope he doesn't do something overly stupid, since I've become quite attached to all of the Gaang.

Belial wrote:
Spoiler:

That's an interesting theory. But what interests me is that to enter the Avatar State at will, he had to let go of his affection for Katara, right? Obviously, that hasn't happened (or it has been reversed) as proved to us by the funny hallucinations in "Nightmares and Daydreams". So if he still likes Katara, is his 7th chakra open? Can he still enter the Avatar State? Has he been 'killed'?

Spoiler:
Aang was supposed to let go of his attachment, not his affection. Being in love wasn't a bad thing, he just couldn't be tied down by it. And as I've expressed before, I am of the opinion that not only is Aang not dead, he's still able to contact the spirit world and has his avatar powers, therefore he's still the avatar.

The tone of recent episodes is kind of what worries me. Considering how dark and gloomy the season started, it's crossed my mind that maybe the funny cheery episodes are there to lighten things up because the second half of the season is going to be tragic.
That's pure speculation of course.
I mean, I like not knowing what's going to happen, and not having it garunteed that the goodguys will win and no one will get hurt. That's what makes the show awesome.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:
To clarify, I don't think Aang *is* dead, I just think he *was* dead (if I recall correctly, he wasn't breathing when Katara healed him, and only started when she was done). And that he *may* have been dead long enough to have mucked up the reincarnation magic.

They/them

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

Anyone know when there might be new episodes this season and whatnot?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

24th November, then every week after.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:20 pm UTC

The 10th/11th episodes were leaked on the internet.

I'm not going to spoil it but just say... it's good.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:17 pm UTC

Where were they leaked? I NEED TO SEEEEE!!!!

EDIT: Found them. Ohmygodohmygodohmygod. I need to sleep, cannot wait to watch them tomorrow.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”