Bad Movies You Love

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ensehderwie

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Postby Ensehderwie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:53 am UTC

Sleepwalkers. Holy Jesus Christ it's terrible. Holy Loving Buddha it's delicious.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:18 am UTC

Dungeons & Motherfucking Dragons
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

eijkaibjck

Postby eijkaibjck » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Considering there are four movie categories considering first index to be expectations and second index to be result:

There are

Good good
Good bad
Bad good
and
Bad bad

I think we are discussing Bad good here.

For me. that,s "Surf Nazis must die!"
Ok, I take it back.

irquista

Postby irquista » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

As mentioned before:
Super Troopers
Shaolin Soccer

But when I can't sleep at night the cure always seems to be a dose of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Adonis1x23 wrote:Several words;

Baseketball and Cannibals the Musical and South Park:Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Three of the best/worst movies of all time.

If you are capable of defining these movies as anything but good, I am afraid I do not comprehend how your brain works.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Otis

Postby Otis » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

I don't know if this one has been mentioned but I was thinking about it the other day. Wild Wild West. Such a terrible movie, but for some reason I like it.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:The Brain That Wouldn't Die

God damn this is a brilliant movie. (To save my cred I would like everyone to know I saw this waaay before I knew it had been MST3K'd.

It's about a mad scientist keeping alive a woman's head through use of...I think they actually call it "Brain Serum". Meanwhile, the mad scientist is also creating a giant horrible monster he keeps in the closet (the woman, once another body is found, will be a mate for it), and the woman suddenly develops telepathy and forms a bond with the creature.

I mean, I never thought it was a bad movie when I saw it. I enjoyed the hell out of this film.

Er... what?

The woman was his fiancée. She was decapitated in a car accident and he managed to save her life, then went looking for a replacement body so she could live a normal life again.

The Monster was just the result of a bunch of earlier trials of the serum (A sort of Frankenstien deal) that was being kept around for observation purposes. You know, part of that whole science dealie.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Cube. Actually, I'm a bad movie junkie.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Nah, Cube was good. The sequels, however...

The League of Gentlemen Apocalypse is quite bad. I still like it, but I don't really know why they did it.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:The League of Gentlemen Apocalypse is quite bad. I still like it, but I don't really know why they did it.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Like you, I have no idea why they made the movie: they were under no obligation to make it, and it couldn't have been a cash-in, as the LoG was never a moneyspinner. Actually, I recall somewhere reading/hearing that they started wanting to write a new comedy together, but ended up writing about the Royston Vasey characters... so they made the film about how they can't get away from their characters.

Still a pretty lame movie though, and not one I would say I love despite it being bad.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

It was interesting, and some of it was funny. I don't think its particularly lame, just a bit flawed. They should probably have either made a League of Gentlemen film or one with some new characters. Ah well...
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:22 am UTC

The best of the MST3K'd movies is most assuredly Space Mutiny. I'm pretty sure David Ryder is the worst protagonist in cinema history.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:27 am UTC

Ensehderwie wrote:The best of the MST3K'd movies is most assuredly Space Mutiny. I'm pretty sure Punch Rrock-Groin is the worst protagonist in cinema history.

Fix'd.

Hica

Postby Hica » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

In the past couple weeks my friends and I have watched Bikini Bloodbath and Cheerleader Ninja's. Both of these movies are outrageous, and I would recommend them to anyone looking to have a good time while watching a terrible movie.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

I'll tell you an actually embarrassing bad film I love: the 1998 Lost in Space film. I have it on VHS.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Sun May 04, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Tue May 27, 2008 5:40 am UTC

I...I liked Elizabethtown, even if it is slow and incredibly impossible and adorable. I think what sold me was when Orlando Bloom's character was going to commit suicide and he attached a knife to the workout machine with duct/duck tape...and then you see the knife fall a bit, rendering the contraption completely useless. I mean really, haven't you had those days where you feel like you can't even commit suicide right?
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

I just watched Shoot 'em Up last night. Absolutely ridiculous and hilarious and awesome. I'm pretty sure the next time I watch it I am going to turn it into a drinking game...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Kesho

Postby Kesho » Sat May 31, 2008 8:59 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:I just watched Shoot 'em Up last night. Absolutely ridiculous and hilarious and awesome. I'm pretty sure the next time I watch it I am going to turn it into a drinking game...

I just watched that a few hours ago and I thought it was great. I don't think I went more than a minute without laughing.

Also, on iTunes, when the reviewers said the opening scene was memorable, they weren't kidding. I don't think I'll ever forget the carrot-stabbing. :D

beastie

Postby beastie » Sat May 31, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Sex and the City. Yes, I have sinned. I love it, I absolutely love the whole series too. I hate loving it.

Hichhiker

Postby Hichhiker » Sat May 31, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

I'll probably will get the prize for obscurity but I can highly recommend:

* My Boyfriend's Back - a zombie teen comedy
and
* Blood and Concrete - A Billy Zane film - 'nuf said

I would not call it a bad movie, but probably in the same "3am on cable" category:

* Bank Robber - This is probably the most underrated movie of all time.

-HH
Relevant Elephants - A Somatic Webcomic about the more relevant pink elephants in the room... (Leave Feedback here)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:44 am UTC

Sartorius wrote:I...I liked Elizabethtown, even if it is slow and incredibly impossible and adorable. I think what sold me was when Orlando Bloom's character was going to commit suicide and he attached a knife to the workout machine with duct/duck tape...and then you see the knife fall a bit, rendering the contraption completely useless. I mean really, haven't you had those days where you feel like you can't even commit suicide right?

Kirsten Dunst's directions to E'town from the Louisville Airport were accurate. If you want to backroad like a moron. A sensible direction would have been "Get on I-65 South. Drive until you see the Elizebethtown Exit."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Waterworld.

I thought that movie was fine. Apparently people older than me saw some bad things in it that I didn't get. Especially judging by imdb comments.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Waterworld.

I thought that movie was fine. Apparently people older than me saw some bad things in it that I didn't get. Especially judging by imdb comments.

Waterworld was a great movie. When it was filmed in the desert in 1981 and starred Mel Gibson. And it was called Mad Max 2. But yeah, great movie.

The Kevin Costner remake... not so much, no.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Oh, the Kevin one is the one I watched.
I thought it was fine. Not Z0MGGREAT, but fine.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:
Clumpy wrote:I still love Good Burger.

"Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger, can i take your order?"

Love it.

Was it just me or should that really have been a stoner film except that it was for kids?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Wasn't it Nickalodeon?(sp...)
Instant terrible.

Zombor

Postby Zombor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:42 am UTC

ummmm, I dont understand why Buckaroo Banzai is here, the only way it could be considered bad is that it is so completely visionary and fantastical, but so are many other films. . . and the fact that Buckaroo is like a robot, I mean did he ever sleep when he was growing up, brain surgeon,race car driver, musician (of several instruments), physicist. . you start expecting him to defeat the forces of gravity or some-oh, wait he does that.

Big Trouble in Little China is fantastic, its like John Carpenter woke up one morning and was like "Hmmmm, I feel like ruining my career, and here is how I will go about it."

Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet http://www.archive.org/details/VoyagetothePrehistoricPlanet, it's definitely MST3K worthy, but they never actually used this version, I believe. The first two times I watched it I believed it was made in the Soviet Union using the one-color process, with really bad dubbing. But it was actually made in the 60s, and was filmed in black and white, with color filters placed on top, an interpretation of the film. Which explains a lot about this movie.
Spoiler:
"oh, I love John so much, I must tell him about my love while he is down on the planet, before it is too late. " "What! John DIED, oh i am so depressed now, I'm going to finish my romance novel."

Calaticus

Postby Calaticus » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:35 am UTC

Undead: Marion and the foul-mouthed police officer made that film for me.

Kaeyn

Films That You Love, But Everybody Else Hates

Postby Kaeyn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:42 am UTC

I seem to get this quite often when discussing films with other people. I talk to bits about films with other people, and they in return think that I am a film buff. However, I sometimes come across a film that people generally don't like. I'm not talking about the Need for Speed films or the new Star Wars trilogy. I'm talking about films that actually gave it their best shot to be good, and either it didn't appeal to many people, or the few reviewers who saw it thought it was bad.

The main film with which this happens to me is the film Meet Joe Black. Yes, it goes for the best part of three hours, but that adds to the overall feel of the film. Yes, it stars Brad Pitt, but he's actually really, really good in this film. Yes, it's cheesy, but it's one of the best "cheesy" films that I've seen.
Yet I go onto Rotten Tomatoes and discover that it has an abysmal rating of only 49%, saying that it is "glacially slow and uneventful". Why such a low rating? I thought that The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was glacially slow when I first saw it, yet it has a Tomatometer rating of 98%. That's not to say that I think it's a bad film, the final Mexican Standoff is masterful.

Anyway, I have always loved Meet Joe Black. The acting, the soundtrack, the scripting, the cinematography, the pacing, and so on are all fantastic from my viewpoint. However, 49%??? I will never get over that.

I was wondering if anybody else had found any films that they love, but the majority doesn't. They don't necessarily have to be hated, near-unknown films are good as well.

black rook in rainy weather

Postby black rook in rainy weather » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

I really love Domino. Its such a trashy, over the top, brilliant movie. Many think its average at best, so I think I may be a bit of a Tony Scott fan-boy, but that lap dance scene that makes no sense, nun-chucks, the repetitive sound bite at the start, explosions, its just so stylish and terribly wonderful!
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Jung

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Re: Films That You Love, But Everybody Else Hates

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

Kaeyn wrote:I seem to get this quite often when discussing films with other people. I talk to bits about films with other people, and they in return think that I am a film buff. However, I sometimes come across a film that people generally don't like. I'm not talking about the Need for Speed films or the new Star Wars trilogy. I'm talking about films that actually gave it their best shot to be good, and either it didn't appeal to many people, or the few reviewers who saw it thought it was bad.

The main film with which this happens to me is the film Meet Joe Black. Yes, it goes for the best part of three hours, but that adds to the overall feel of the film. Yes, it stars Brad Pitt, but he's actually really, really good in this film. Yes, it's cheesy, but it's one of the best "cheesy" films that I've seen.
Yet I go onto Rotten Tomatoes and discover that it has an abysmal rating of only 49%, saying that it is "glacially slow and uneventful". Why such a low rating? I thought that The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was glacially slow when I first saw it, yet it has a Tomatometer rating of 98%. That's not to say that I think it's a bad film, the final Mexican Standoff is masterful.

Anyway, I have always loved Meet Joe Black. The acting, the soundtrack, the scripting, the cinematography, the pacing, and so on are all fantastic from my viewpoint. However, 49%??? I will never get over that.

I'm with you on this one, I really liked Meet Joe Black. The film has a particular atmosphere that I like and the slow pace adds to that, plus the score is fantastic too. Whisper of a Thrill by Thomas Newman is a great piece of music, which again adds to the film's atmosphere. I really don't know why it was panned so much.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:35 am UTC

Vanguard wrote:Wasn't it Nickalodeon?(sp...)
Instant terrible.
Y'know, for made-for-tv children's films, I think Nickelodeon has done alright (has done as in the past, since I haven't seen anything since they dove off the "flood the time slots with cheap live action shows" cliff after Disney Channel).

I don't know about bad movies, but there are definitely some stupid movies that my family and I are fans of.
For example, Rocket Man. Has anyone heard of that one? I forget how we even ended up with a copy. Very stupid, but pretty funny.

It seemed like a lot of people didn't care much for Be Kind, Rewind*. Also kind of stupid (in a magical realism sort of way) but I thought it was good.
The one thing I don't get is the people saying Mos Def couldn't act. I mean, did he really fail to capture the breadth and depth of emotion you expect from a video store clerk? Was his portrayal of an ordinary guy really all that unconvincing?
It's kind of like people complaining about Paris Hilton's acting abilities, when I've only ever seen her cast as herself. Speaking of which, House of Wax was no where near as bad as I was expecting. Again, fairly stupid, but as far as slasher flicks** go, not bad.

*tho' now that I'm looking it up, it doesn't look like it did too bad on Rotten Tomatoes
**Except for maybe Nightmare on Elm Street, I don't think I could think of a good slasher flick.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 am UTC

black rook in rainy weather wrote:I really love Domino. Its such a trashy, over the top, brilliant movie. Many think its average at best, so I think I may be a bit of a Tony Scott fan-boy, but that lap dance scene that makes no sense, nun-chucks, the repetitive sound bite at the start, explosions, its just so stylish and terribly wonderful!

I think this was the only movie I've ever walked out on in the theaters. I remember being with a couple friends, and by the halfway point we were just looking at each other going "can we please leave?"
:D

Can't remember if it was mentioned, but Ravenous, great low budget, gory, bizarre horror movie. And it has Guy Peirce and Robert Carlyle, which is a bonus.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:27 am UTC

It involved a woman in spandex in... an alien world riding a yellow dinosaur. She had a sword or something. :roll:

I can't for the life of me remember the title though. :shock:

It was just so terrible that I couldn't look away! Like a horrible train wreck... you just can't seem to change the channel.

I vaguely remember A LOT of 80's heavy metal music. :twisted:

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 am UTC

Ivora wrote:It involved a woman in spandex in... an alien world riding a yellow dinosaur. She had a sword or something. :roll:

I can't for the life of me remember the title though. :shock:

It was just so terrible that I couldn't look away! Like a horrible train wreck... you just can't seem to change the channel.

I vaguely remember A LOT of 80's heavy metal music. :twisted:

Was it animated? It might be Heavy Metal.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Yes it was animated.

The fact that you might know is creepy. :shock:

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Ivora wrote:Yes it was animated.

The fact that you might know is creepy. :shock:
Why? It's not that obscure a movie. South Park even recently parodied it.

I never actually saw the movie myself. However, here is the cover. A woman riding a yellow dinosaur.
Spoiler:
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Excuse me, that film opens with the space shuttle orbiting Earth (point), and ejecting a 50's era Corvette (point) with a man in a spacesuit behind the wheel (point). The corvette plummets to the Earth (point), to heavy metal (point), and slams into the desert (double points), where the driver shifts violently (point), ejecting first a parachute which detaches behind the vehicle (point), then revving the engine (point) and driving out to the desert horizon (point).

Do you have any respect for things that are awesome, or do you just suck at identifying anything good?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:04 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Excuse me, that film opens with the space shuttle orbiting Earth (point), and ejecting a 50's era Corvette (point) with a man in a spacesuit behind the wheel (point). The corvette plummets to the Earth (point), to heavy metal (point), and slams into the desert (double points), where the driver shifts violently (point), ejecting first a parachute which detaches behind the vehicle (point), then revving the engine (point) and driving out to the desert horizon (point).

Do you have any respect for things that are awesome, or do you just suck at identifying anything good?

Pointing's rude.

Also, what?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”