Depressing Films

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Re: Depressing Films

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

I found The Mist to be pretty depressing. It would have been so much cooler if they at some point had broken into musical-type song and dance.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:49 am UTC

I'm surprised that so few people have mentioned the Green Mile. Maybe I was just in a weird mood that night, but I cried at that movie harder than anything I've ever seen.
I probably would have cried during I Am Legend,
Spoiler:
shit with animals always gets me, they're just so helpless.
but I was sitting next to my dad, in a packed movie theater. I'm not nearly that comfortable with my sexuality to cry in that situation.

P.S. Hey repiv, what's it feel like to have your opinion proven wrong?
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:34 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:I found The Mist to be pretty depressing. It would have been so much cooler if they at some point had broken into musical-type song and dance.

I was fine with that movie until the ending, which was a deliberate FUCK YOU straight from Darabont to the audience. That pissed me off. The original story actually ends hopefully, despite the unrelenting horrors throughout.

Spoiler:
I would have even accepted it if the film had ended with everybody committing suicide in the car. But going, "JUST KIDDING LOL" after such an emotionally traumatic event as watching a father murder his friends and child... that just pissed me off.

Afterwards I had to watch "7 Up", which was pleasant and amusing and full of cute children not getting eaten by tentacle monsters, in order to feel better.

GKZ

Postby GKZ » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:25 am UTC

THX 1138 sent me into a dark place for a while. Especially when they killed/redesignated LUH. And then having to deal with life outside the city.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 am UTC

Malice wrote:I was fine with that movie until the ending, which was a deliberate FUCK YOU straight from Darabont to the audience. That pissed me off. The original story actually ends hopefully, despite the unrelenting horrors throughout.

I haven't actually watched the movie, but know what was done to the ending. I personally like the sound of it. It sounds to be a really funny ending. Does that make me a bad person? :P

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:12 am UTC

Naw. I might have liked the idea of the ending, had I heard it and not seen the film. But when the proceeding two hours is tense and you're actually feeling for these characters? It's a low blow.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

Personally, I found Donnie Darko fairly depressing, just because of the final scene with Gretchen Ross and Donnie's mum. I dunno, I can't really say why, it just does.
Also, along with many others, Requiem for a Dream.

I also found Pi by Darren Aronofsky fairly depressing, mainly due to the amount of pain you see Max go through, and what he resorts to in the end (I won't post spoilers, as you need to see this film if you haven't).

semicolon wrote:They were on the beach or whatever, and she said something like, "so what do we do?" And he said, "enjoy it."

Agreed, I thought this bit was just cruel of Michel Gondry. Though it also made me happy in some way, mainly because you see their acceptance of the whole event.

Another one I found a bit depressing was The Jacket. There is something about a man seeing when he is meant to die that is saddening...

I'm sure there are a load more, just not that I can think of them now.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

I have not checked the whole thing, but has anyone pointed out Dogville?
made me cry a whole bunch, to the point the first time I watched it my then boyfriend wanted to shut it off because I was getting so upset.
Still, awesome movie. Only thing Nicole Kidman did I really liked.

Also, it is like watching a play in a black box theater, where the walls of the set are marked in think lines on the floor.

It was amazing.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

The Hours should have had Leslie Nielson in it.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

A lot of Bergman films people tend to find depressing, particularly Cries and Whispers.
Vittorio De Sica films, like The Bicycle Thief and Umberto D. A lot of neorealist films tend to be depressing.
Kurosawa's The Bad Sleep Well is pretty depressing, probably one of the most of his films. Other films like Ikiru can be pretty depressing too.
Most parts of Kieslowski's The Decalogue.

I can think of a million films that are generally depressing but have uplifting or hopeful endings or messages, and films that are really intense and fill you with negative emotions, but not really 'depressing' per say. There are a lot of movies that have depressing parts but aren't necessarily depressing as a whole.

Noe's Irreversible is intense and depressing.
Haneke's Funny Games, which I mentioned in a different thread.

Everyone mentioned a lot of really good ones here before me.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

karmiclube
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby karmiclube » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

"bodies, rest, and motion"

seriously, don't watch this movie if at any point in the foreseeable future you'll be moving with a significant other to a new town. i watched it 4 years ago and i'm STILL messed up from it. :lol: it's like a 90 minute illustration of futility.

only reason i watched it is cuz it came with "the legend of 1900", which could also be considered depressing, especially at the end when
Spoiler:
they blow up the boat with him still on it.
but damn i love that movie.
Spoiler:

Balalaika Gap

Postby Balalaika Gap » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:I found The Mist to be pretty depressing. It would have been so much cooler if they at some point had broken into musical-type song and dance.

I was fine with that movie until the ending, which was a deliberate FUCK YOU straight from Darabont to the audience. That pissed me off. The original story actually ends hopefully, despite the unrelenting horrors throughout.

Agreed, I hated the ending to The Mist. I was really delighted with how true to the book it was throughout, and then... THAT.

No one ever seems to agree with me, but I found Punch-Drunk Love really depressing.

I watched Punch-Drunk Love the same weekend as another extremely depressing movie, Love Liza. That one was even worse because the video box billed it as something like "a wacky tragicomedy" but it was NOT. It was tragi only. It was a pretty bad weekend overall.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Most of my favorite movies are pretty dark and depressing, really. Taxi Driver comes to mind. Vertigo, which does the abrupt, painful ending perfectly. 13 Conversations About One Thing, which is excellent, and pretty fucking sad. Although the dominant emotion there is probably melancholy, not full-blown depression....

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

Surprisingly no one has mentioned 3 Dollars. I guess being Australian it has not really got around the other parts of the world. It must be the most depressing film I have ever seen, yet one of the best. *Goes off to listen to Joy Division and mope*
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Obviously, Requiem for a Dream.

Also, while it ended up-beat, A Beautiful Mind had me in tears the first time I saw it, just seeing John's mental collapse... :cry:

lindemherz

Postby lindemherz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

La vita e bella, Live is Beautiful, by Roberto Benigni. It is a beautiful movie, but I'dnever, never, NEVER watch it again, the ending is way too bittersweet for me. First movie that made me cry.

Another one is Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris. Kris Kelvin goes to a space station orbiting a planet to find out what happened with the crew, only to find the memory of his dead wife roaming about for him to deal with. Kind of Event Horizon, only that GOOD (and almost 30 years earlier).

Kesho

Postby Kesho » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:18 am UTC

I second Solaris, although I think we've seen different versions of it (I've only seen the 2002 version), as well as Requiem and the Fountain, although the Fountain and Solaris both just seem bittersweet, instead of tragic.

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:54 am UTC

Oh, God. The Hours. What a horribly depressing movie. Everyone is horribly messed up, Ed Harris and Nicole Kidman kill their selves. Nothing is really ever resolved. People are upset the whole time. There is no happy part to the movie. It is all serious and sad, nothing else ever. It's got a sort of oppressively sullen atmosphere to everything. It's a really good film.

Speaking of Oscar winners, Crash was also really depressing, despite ending on a goodish note maybe, and so was Capote. Serious dramas are pretty depressing generally, I think.

Being John Malkovich is so depressing it hurts.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Kesho wrote:I second Solaris, although I think we've seen different versions of it (I've only seen the 2002 version), as well as Requiem and the Fountain, although the Fountain and Solaris both just seem bittersweet, instead of tragic.

It's been a while since I saw it and it was also the remake, but I thought Solaris was bitter-sweet, but borderlining on happy.

Spoiler:
In the end, he was back with his wife, even if he was either trapped in a strange alien star or dead from the exploding station.

Tony Wonder

Postby Tony Wonder » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:23 am UTC

As many others have mentioned, Requiem for a Dream. A movie I watched at about 4am alone in bed after a really depressing week and if there is any other film that made me want to do something with my life that was it. I lay there in bed all morning contemplating everything that was depressing about the world and feeling like I didn't want to be a part of it.

Grave of the Fireflies would have been more depressing for me if it had closed over a longer period of time, it ended just as I was expecting it to go on and utterly crush my soul. I was left more surprised at it ending than being sad at the ending itself.

annals

Postby annals » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:53 am UTC

La Strada, perhaps? That movie was like Life Is Beautiful for me: it left me feeling depressed and uplifted at the same time.

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

The animated shorts The Second Renaissance Part I and II from The Animatrix. I don't think there were many points in that short that were particularly positive or uplifting at all. I guess that was the point though.

Spoiler:
Worst moment: When they are beating the robot "woman" with sledge hammers as she she screams "No! I'm real!"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Requiem for a dream was damn depressing. As was voices from a distant star.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Ensehderwie wrote:The animated shorts The Second Renaissance Part I and II from The Animatrix. I don't think there were many points in that short that were particularly positive or uplifting at all. I guess that was the point though.

Spoiler:
Worst moment: When they are beating the robot "woman" with sledge hammers as she she screams "No! I'm real!"

I didn't find it depressing so much as stupid.

Spoiler:
So, Sustained nuclear bombardment from the world's major powers failed to destroy a single metropolitan area, then enough of said city-state's industry survived to allow it to win a war against the entire rest of the not-reduced-to-radioactive-slag Earth? You don't say...

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
well, isn't (part of) the point of nuclear bombs that they leave buildings intact? Obviously there would probably be a lot of fallout, but ... maybe a wizard did it?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Godeler

Postby Godeler » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:14 am UTC

The movie "Crash" was pretty depressing. Everyone cries by the end of that movie, and nothing is actually solved.
Even stick figures drawn with passion have more soul in them than the greatest masterpiece of a charlatan.

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:54 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
I didn't find it depressing so much as stupid.

Spoiler:
So, Sustained nuclear bombardment from the world's major powers failed to destroy a single metropolitan area, then enough of said city-state's industry survived to allow it to win a war against the entire rest of the not-reduced-to-radioactive-slag Earth? You don't say...

I didn't really take any of this into account you see, because this is encapsulated within a universe in which robots plug humans into a computer program and let them live out their lives as usual, while using them as a power source. It's not realistic. I don't really think it's supposed to be. I think it is very comic-book, but the actual social events taking place held a lot of weight to me.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:29 am UTC

Ensehderwie wrote:I didn't really take any of this into account you see, because this is encapsulated within a universe in which robots plug humans into a computer program and let them live out their lives as usual, while using them as a power source. It's not realistic. I don't really think it's supposed to be. I think it is very comic-book, but the actual social events taking place held a lot of weight to me.

But all of that social whatnot was triggered because some engineer was stupid enough to think that a robot butler needed sufficient hand-strength to crush a man's skull. This was a product being marketed around families, with childrens, and they didn't think it could use a few more saftey features?

Melquiades

Postby Melquiades » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

"Cinema Paradiso" and "Citizen Kane" are the ones that wreck me the most.

Tobes00

Postby Tobes00 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

ShadeWolf wrote:Memento

Definitely. I mean by the end of it I had to wonder
Spoiler:
whether his wife did actually get murdered, or whether he was just a guy without a memory who travelled the country killing people called Teddy to pass the time.

L'Emmerdeur wrote:The Lives Of Others, personally I thought there was something nice about the ending of the film, however everyone else I've talked to about it seems to think the ending was really depressing. Taken as a whole though, the film is pretty depressing.

The whole film definitely depressed me, and the end was like the cruel icing on top of a giant depression cake. All I could think about was what kind of society or humanity would do that to people?

Draverd wrote:Smokin Aces Really sad ending :(

Don't you mean really kick-arse most awesome ending ever? Granted, I thought the bulk of the film was mediocre at best, but the ending with the music by Clint Mansell (of Requiem fame) was perfect in my opinion.

Aleril wrote:I hope I am not the only one, but I found 2 parts in "Click" extremely depressing.

I even cried, and I dont cry much.

Definitely not alone. I almost cried when I watched it... and I've never cried at a movie. I didn't even "almost" cry at The Fountain.

theonlyjett wrote:No one mentioned this one, The Pursuit of Happyness. I seriously went from being depressed and crying to being pissed off at everything. I'll never watch this movie again, ever.
Spoiler:
By the very end when he finally gets the job, I was like "fuck it, I don't even care anymore."

Oh man! Don't get me started on that movie. By the end of it I was exactly the same: "Who gives a crap? I just spent the last two hours watching this guy continually get worse and worse off... is there even a point?"
I didn't even find that movie depressing, just upsetting that it was such a bad film.

And my one original contribution to this thread is: He Was a Quiet Man.
For those who have seen (which I wager would be maybe one or two at most) you'll know what I mean. For those who haven't seen it, this guy goes from being a complete loser at the very bottom of the food-chain (bullied at work etc.) to being a high flyer, and then it all comes crashing down... but that attempted synopsis didn't really do the film justice.

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
Ensehderwie wrote:I didn't really take any of this into account you see, because this is encapsulated within a universe in which robots plug humans into a computer program and let them live out their lives as usual, while using them as a power source. It's not realistic. I don't really think it's supposed to be. I think it is very comic-book, but the actual social events taking place held a lot of weight to me.

But all of that social whatnot was triggered because some engineer was stupid enough to think that a robot butler needed sufficient hand-strength to crush a man's skull. This was a product being marketed around families, with childrens, and they didn't think it could use a few more saftey features?

Superman flies and shoots lasers from his eyes. He is a comic book character. No one questions the science of this because he is from a comic book. Likewise, most of The Second Renaissance Parts I and II is very comic-bookish and unreal, and is designed to set up a story in which people eat pills to get flushed out of red embryonic pods and the fly around in a large ship fighting off likewise flying machines. I mean, humans have done a lot of stupid things in the vein of history, and the film is like an unrealistic allegory of the world, which it is and that's how it's meant to be. The events that proceed after the trial are terrible and based off events that have happened in history, and it's supposed to remind us of the darker side of humanity and how if not kept in check, could probably lead to our downfall. It's a dystopian future film, and those are often ridiculously unrealistic in terms of technology.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:24 am UTC

Gummo seriously made me lose my faith in humanity for a few days. Streams of vaguely related vignettes of poverty, hatred, and depravity, through the bleak and washed-out lens of a cold and detached spectator. I don't know that the movie had any great underlying meaning, or any purpose besides evoking repulsion. I've never seen anything so utterly nihilistic.

Match Point was pretty depressing too, but brilliant nonetheless.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Gummo seriously made me lose my faith in humanity for a few days. Streams of vaguely related vignettes of poverty, hatred, and depravity, through the bleak and washed-out lens of a cold and detached spectator. I don't know that the movie had any great underlying meaning, or any purpose besides evoking repulsion. I've never seen anything so utterly nihilistic.

Match Point was pretty depressing too, but brilliant nonetheless.

Yeah, Gummo was pretty depressing for what it was. I didn't like it (it was a pretty meaningless/nihilistic film); the depressing thing wasn't so much that the movie made you depressed like other films listed here, but that it made you depressed that there are actually people like that.

I thought Match Point was brilliant too. You should check out Crimes and Misdemeanors (also very depressing) if you haven't.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Tobes00

Postby Tobes00 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:25 am UTC

I just finished watching Requiem for a Dream (at the advice of this thread), and to quote Belial: Why is everything so bad?

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:26 am UTC

I can't remember if I've said this before, but House of Sand and Fog is one of the more desolate films I've ever seen...it left me in such a state of utter despair.

Also, Control, the film based on the life of Joy Division's Ian Curtis just broke me.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:53 am UTC

I would like to hop on the Requiem for a Dream bandwagon, that film made me hate life for a little while.

Tobes00 wrote:
ShadeWolf wrote:Memento

Definitely. I mean by the end of it I had to wonder
Spoiler:
whether his wife did actually get murdered, or whether he was just a guy without a memory who travelled the country killing people called Teddy to pass the time.

I have always found this movie depressing.
Spoiler:
There are a couple parts in the film that give the impression that Lenny is Sammi Jenkins. One scene in particular shows Sammi in the hospital sitting in a chair, someone walks by and for a moment it shows Lenny in the chair instead of Sammi.

Tobes00 wrote:
Aleril wrote:I hope I am not the only one, but I found 2 parts in "Click" extremely depressing.

I even cried, and I dont cry much.

Definitely not alone. I almost cried when I watched it... and I've never cried at a movie. I didn't even "almost" cry at The Fountain.

I cried during this movie.

I also found Jin Roh, Donnie Darko and SLC Punk depressing.

Other movies I have found depressing that have not been mentioned:
Man on Fire (I read the entire thread just now and I am really surprised that this wasn't mentioned. I always get a little misty at the end.)
Salton Sea (Moments of this movie really got me down, I have a friend who loved it but said he would never watch it again.)
Zone of the Enders: I Dolo (Ignore all of the sci-fi anime shit and there is a really depressing story behind it. This {warning: linked movie is the entire ending} made me realize just how depressing this movie was.)
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Anir

Postby Anir » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

I find Infernal Affairs and The Machinist as pretty depressing.

Neris

Postby Neris » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:24 am UTC

I'm too tired to read all the replies for this thread (sorry been a long day) so my apologies if its already been mentioned but Rules of Attraction is pretty depressing.
"My God, man! Do they want tea?"
"No, I think they're after something more than that, sir. I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag."

glisp42

Postby glisp42 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:06 am UTC

On The Beach (the remake.) This movie jacked me up for about a week.

Spoiler:
What really killed me was that there was a chance of hope, that some part of humanity would survive. Then you find out that nope, everybody in the entire world dies either from the bombs themselves or from fallout

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Wed May 07, 2008 1:24 am UTC

Bright Lights, Big Cities
Leaving Las Vegas
...are two that come to mind.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”