Star Wars: Episode 7: Electric Boogaleven

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Re: Star Wars: Episode 7: Electric Boogaleven

Postby freezeblade » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:39 pm UTC

Wildcard wrote:And to add one more thing to it—although I didn't see the original trilogy in the theaters back in the day, my parents did, and one thing my mom mentioned that she found completely different compared to all earlier sci-fi was that the spaceships and tech gadgets in Star Wars were all well used. E.g., Luke's "What, this piece of junk?" in reference to the Millenium Falcon.

As opposed to having everything new and shiny. Nice little dose of realism mixed in with the fantastic.

This was also very noticeable in the sound design, where samples were used instead of synth effects, to produce a galaxy that felt "lived in" or "used." More realism than the typical (for the time) sci-fi thermion effect when a spaceship takes off.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm UTC

Oh, there were synth effects alright (just ask the ARP 2600 that served as the voice of R2-D2.) But yes, the sound design was a world apart from pretty much anything that came before.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

Samples + Synth were also amazingly done.

Lightsabers were a hammer banging on an antenna. Tie Fighters were a synth-modified elephant's bellow. Etc. etc. Amazingly creative use of every day objects to create a fantastical sounds.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:47 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Tie Fighters were a synth-modified elephant's bellow.

Aha!!! :shock: :idea:
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:06 pm UTC

Wildcard wrote:And to add one more thing to it—although I didn't see the original trilogy in the theaters back in the day, my parents did, and one thing my mom mentioned that she found completely different compared to all earlier sci-fi was that the spaceships and tech gadgets in Star Wars were all well used. E.g., Luke's "What, this piece of junk?" in reference to the Millenium Falcon.

As opposed to having everything new and shiny. Nice little dose of realism mixed in with the fantastic.

To come back to this briefly, though, while it's certainly true that Star Wars was both an early proponent and a major influence on the "used future" aesthetic in cinema, it bears mentioning that SW itself clearly took influence on this front from another movie, Douglas Trumbull's Silent Running. If you've never seen it, it's worth a watch just for that - in just about every respect aside from the Joan Baez soundtrack, it's almost an exact midpoint between the "NASA Space Corps" look of '60s American sci-fi and Star Wars and its progeny. Bruce Dern's pretty good in it, too.
Last edited by commodorejohn on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:11 pm UTC

Mark Kermode gushes over that movie, and says it's even better than 2001. I wouldn't go that far, but it is worth watching.
Exit the vampires' castle.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:38 pm UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:... and are only as good as they were because Lucas's wife at the time pulled them out of the fiery nosedive they were in.

Huh, I'd never heard about that. I always assumed there must have been someone more central responsible for their success. Care to expand/any good place to read up on it?
Here is a start
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:19 pm UTC

George is good with effects and big ideas, not so much with dialog or editing.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

Benicio del Toro and Laura Dern join the cast for Episode VIII
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:03 pm UTC

Huh. I had heard rumors about del Toro a while ago, but Dern is a nice addition too.

Of course I've learned not to put too much stock in casting. The prequels had a fine cast for the most part – Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee – but they were all wasted. What does make me optimistic about the next movie is what I've seen from Rian Johnson so far.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:58 pm UTC

Well, degrees of wasted. But most of what was good about their performances was pretty clearly stuff the actors themselves managed to salvage out of their roles (Neeson, McGregor, McDiarmid if you count hilarious quantities of ham.) Then again, some of those parts even the actors who were trying couldn't save.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:09 pm UTC

As I say, if you watch something and one person is bad, it's a shitty actor. If you watch something and everyone is bad, it's a shitty director.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:03 pm UTC

Teaser trailer for Rogue One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

Disney's clearly having fun with this. It looks like it should be decent.

Also, maybe we should change the title of this thread to be about all the new SW movies.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:41 am UTC

On the one hand, it looks like a bit of a love letter to A New Hope, which is ground that The Force Awakens has already covered. But on the other hand, stop being such a fucking killjoy, Alex, it looks really fun. I think I'll really enjoy it as an interlude between TFA and Episode VIII, but I'm still hoping that VII goes in a different direction than the original trilogy tributes we've had so far.

I've seen a lot of this sentiment in my Twitter feed, which I think is pretty positive, and something of a marketing coup for Disney.

Final thought: what was George thinking when he failed to tell this story in his prequel trilogy?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:33 am UTC

Yeah, I think he made a big mistake when he chose to make the entire prequel trilogy about Anakin, who is, in the end, not the most interesting or compelling character. He's good and then he turns bad, big whoop – you only need one good movie to accomplish that. Ideally Anakin should have been dealt with in such a way that the surprise of TESB is preserved when watching the movies chronologically, although that may have been an impossible task.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:41 pm UTC

I still say that making the movies about Anakin wasn't the problem - the problem is that everything in the prequels almost completely contradicted what we had been told earlier.

Also the movie had a "tell, don't show" approach to Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship. We knew they were friends because they told us, so it was okay that they treated each other like co-workers who kinda sorta knew each other's names.... but only first names.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:34 pm UTC

I feel like your second paragraph speaks to the crux of the matter. Significant retcons aren't ideal, but they can serve useful purposes. "Fall of the Galactic Republic focusing on a young military officer who played an instrumental role in the nascent Empire's formation - plus laser swords" is a perfectly cromulent plot hook for a series of movies.

The problem, imo, was simply that Lucas did a really shitty job of telling the story he wanted to tell.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:51 am UTC

tfw you realize Rogue One is a prequel

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am UTC

how are all the main characters not bothans!?!?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am UTC

mosc wrote:how are all the main characters not bothans!?!?

That was the second Death Star.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:04 pm UTC

They might be: I don't think it's established in canon what exactly the hell a Bothan is. For all we know, all the main characters are from the planet Botha.
He/Him/His/Alex

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

That was the second Death Star.

You are of course correct and I am ashamed of my nerd ignorance. I will enter a strict re-education regiment of film binge-ing immediately!

Bothans are elf-like things:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan
who apparently sacrificed themselves for very little good because the emperor wanted the leak anyway? Or was that just the location of the shield generator on endor to lure them in?

So this isn't the "Many Bothans" movie I thought it was, it's the Kyle Katarn movie! Right??
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

So, to those who believe this to be the 5th (?) canonical Star Wars movie, it's a prequel (rather than an interquel), yes?

Are any of the new characters from Ep. 7 (like the cantina owner) in it?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:25 pm UTC

and HO! Bothans be gettin' killed in BOTH death star plan smuggling! Probably because the makers of the 2006 video game "Empire at War" made the same mistake I did but no matter! Check out this link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_to_Bothawui. Vindication I say!

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:01 am UTC

mosc wrote:Bothans are elf-like things:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan
Only according to the extended universe material, which the new films are ignoring.
He/Him/His/Alex

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:15 pm UTC

Another trailer for Rogue One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:30 am UTC

Star Wars Producers Fined $2 Million for Crushing Harrison Ford's Leg

So to where does this money go? To whatever company is responsible for safety in the film workplace? Lucky dogs.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

HES

Postby HES » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:54 am UTC

To the government, I believe. Whether it's bound to the HSE budget or thrown in the general pot I don't know.
He/Him/His Image

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:18 pm UTC

Donald Glover cast at Lando in the forthcoming Han Solo film.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:32 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Donald Glover cast at Lando in the forthcoming Han Solo film.

RTA "Danny Glover", at first.

Talking of Lan and Hando (*cough*), a good point to ressurect this from a little while ago:

KnightExemplar wrote:Han Solo […] also exceptionally skilled people (pilots specifically) without any force sensitivity at all.
Headcanon here (since the '80s and playing the D6 SW RPG) is that Han is a Latent Force User. Too useful an unconscious skill not to be likely in a rogue like Solo. (e.g. being able to tell when someone was about to shoot you, dealing with post-carbonite blindness atop a hover-skiff full of enemies and piloting a ship so as to just not be where the weapons fire is/asteroids are/falling into a Kessel Run singularity...)

To someone who does not consciously understand/control/acknowledge/believe their latent force abilities, it just looks to them like 'plot armour' looks to us (a whole lot of lucky coincidences, but we'll swing with it and enjoy the ride while it lasts). In the background, though, it's doing a lot of work possibly even especially keeping itself hidden.

And as at least one side-branch of Star Wars Lore has it that controlling a lightsabre (a fizzing rod of energy interacting with the air in a manner that ought to greatly exagerate brownian motion and send it jittering all over the place) requires Force control, Han's use of it on Hoth shows an aptitude at least equal to untutored Luke's initial attempts against the golden snitch training device in ANH.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear that Lando had such abilities too, the way he flies the Falcon. Ok, he lost the Falcon to Han whilst gambling, but if Han was also Force Gambling.. And Lando had clearly done well in business. As Han might have, if not for having the pressures of being indebted to the Hutts due to the quick thinking that allowed him to escape being done for smuggling...

Yes, Han had done quite well, given circumstances. He lost out most when verified Force Users intervened, one way or another.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:00 am UTC

I've heard that as a fan theory before, but I can't recall any canon source that actually indicates Han is an unconscious Force user.

Other than some sources which basically say that everyone is unconsciously using the Force to some extent because the Force effects all life. I like that kind of thing because it indicates that anyone can potentially be a Force user with the right mindset and training. A lot of that stuff can be interpreted more like the Force uses people to drive 'destiny' or whatever though. And I'm not a fan of that predeterminist crap.

Also, I think the bit about control of the Force being necessary to use a lightsaber at all was incorporated into Legends canon as only for the very first Lightsabers, with later Ligthsabers using belt power-packs, and then later still being entirely self-contained. there are some Legends sources regarding non-force using orders and cultures that adopted lightsabers and related weapons as well.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:05 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Also, I think the bit about control of the Force being necessary to use a lightsaber at all was incorporated into Legends canon as only for the very first Lightsabers, with later Ligthsabers using belt power-packs, and then later still being entirely self-contained. there are some Legends sources regarding non-force using orders and cultures that adopted lightsabers and related weapons as well.

AFAIAC, lightsabres always were self-contained. Remember that my canon was Films+RPG (there were what would be termed as EU novelisations, but they weren't necessary for using the West End Games material and didn't always back each other up). The power, IIRC, was thus always within the handle; it was just that the the crystal (hand-chosen and tuned by the eventual user, during construction, for greater responsiveness/afinity) was Force Controlled to some degree to 'shape' the blade.

I forget whether there were also extensive external controls, or even if it was before or after the EU concept leaked in that the plasma blade could even be tuned to 'solid' (can safely be used as a crutch, in a safe setting that presumably training blades were set permanently to), the 'very same blade' as can be also used to burn through blast doors at other times... But with your own lightsabre (or a suitably compatible one not owned and under even the passive control of another force-user) you can interact with the internal logic as easy as/easier than the external switches.

The whole Legends collation happened much, much later, and I'm woefully uninformed about what elements were accepted into that branch and which were conveniently dropped. Ep7+ diverging even from EU/Legends, I'm not sure I'm too disadvantaged. I'll just keep my headcanon based upon the D6 game1 and OT, mostly. ;)

1 By the rules of which, Luke's initial battle in the Death Star Throne Room should have accumulated so many Dark Side Points that the GM should have claimed his character sheet and continued him now as a hostile NPC many times over! No redemption for you, Luke, never mind Anakin!

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:06 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Final thought: what was George thinking when he failed to tell this story in his prequel trilogy?

Maybe he wanted to tell a different story entirely, but those plans were scrapped between Episodes 1 and 2.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:1 By the rules of which, Luke's initial battle in the Death Star Throne Room should have accumulated so many Dark Side Points that the GM should have claimed his character sheet and continued him now as a hostile NPC many times over! No redemption for you, Luke, never mind Anakin!

I don't suppose you'd mind expanding on this. I'm not familiar with this role playing system at all and I was having a tough time finding a reference, but I would love to hear more about Dark Side Points and what Luke did to earn them.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
ahammel wrote:Final thought: what was George thinking when he failed to tell this story in his prequel trilogy?

Maybe he wanted to tell a different story entirely, but those plans were scrapped between Episodes 1 and 2.

Have you seen this analysis? Might change your life (or at least your prequel perspective):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2BNdF_NCVQ

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:09 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:1 By the rules of which, Luke's initial battle in the Death Star Throne Room should have accumulated so many Dark Side Points that the GM should have claimed his character sheet and continued him now as a hostile NPC many times over! No redemption for you, Luke, never mind Anakin!

I don't suppose you'd mind expanding on this. I'm not familiar with this role playing system at all and I was having a tough time finding a reference, but I would love to hear more about Dark Side Points and what Luke did to earn them.

(Oh come on... I was just in the middle of explaining and managed to hit page refresh and lost it all. Start again..!)

It has been a long time, so I might have some details wrong, but my memory is that all characters with Force Sensitivity had numbers of D6 assigned to Force Sense, Force Control and Force Alter (roughly equal to telepathy/supersenses, telekinisis and mind-bending?) plus Force Points and Dark Side Points.

The three Force Stats's given number of D6s were rolled against GM/Source-book decided difficulties of whichever element(s) were necessary. I think Lightsabre use needed both Control and Sense checks, to guide and 'feel' the way to guide the blade accordingly. (Lightsabres were obviously powerful, and supposed to be rare in this 'off to the side of the films' setting, so had to be hard to use rather than power-nerfed, but were there for the fans anyway.)

For difficult tasks, you might need to dip into one or other of the Points pots. Force Points were (on top of any starting number) gained for "good Force play" by the GM, like Skill/Character points for regular skills (in this games system, as well as most others) but specifically for Force stuff, not just good roleplaying in general. They were capped (Major Force Users maybe twice as many as Minor/Latent Force Users) and you could spend excess on Force Skill upgrades, at typical skill-upgrafe junctures. Otherwise, though, you could spend any Force Point you had, at any time, to (I forget which, but I'm sure it's one of these) either get a reroll-on-fail, roll twice the dice and choose the best half or just straight double your roll for a feat Force accomplishment (like targeting an exhaust port the size of a womprat, without targetting computer assistance). With enough panache, you might even get that FP straight back! (Depends on the GM; probably also on what he knows that you still have to survive in his/her game.)

Or, if you wanted to, you could gain a Dark Side Point for the same/similar boon. As Yoda says "quicker, easier, more seductive", you don't have to work for the bonus (that you may not have an FP left for, if you've been using them up quicker than replenishing them), you just say you're using that and maybe live longer. I half remember that the numbet of DSPs you currently have are added to the regular D6s you're entitled to, so the more Dark Side you have, the more bonus you get. Easy, right?

Except that you run the risk of losing your character. The GM can ask you at any time to roll (I think) a D6 against the number of DSPs and if you get lower than that you have succumbed. A single DSP is safe, but two or more and you're a dice-roll away from turning. Beyond six, and it's inescapable.

Outside the action, GM allowing, I think you can meditate away your DSPs (GM might also reward you with a reduction for Light Side roleplaying, or let you expend a previously rewarded FP to burn away a DSP, which is why I think I recall the DSP bonus being worthwhile to risk over FP spending, if you had the choice), and that is obviously encouraging towards a paladinesque cooling-off as your fellow players pilot you in their (Not-Exactly-)Stock Light Freighter between encounters. Vader's 'meditation sphere' might be even be a conscious attempt to moderate the DSPs that (NPC) Vader is always racking up due to all the force-chokes, etc, perhaps an indication that he is redeemable. But it could also be for other things.

But, on top of all that, you also get a Dark Side Point for aggressive Force use. Cruelty (Force-assisted interogation, rather than merely sensing lies) and physically violent acts (throwing opponents1 across the room, or force-choking). An anti-bonus, you might sau. Lightsabre duels are tricky, given that you can't just act defensively and hope to prevail, but whilst trying to disarm your opponent2, or otherwise subdue/distract them whilst others do their tning, you don't need to try to strike them down with killing blows.

And, in the Throne Room scene, Luke is clearly riled up by Vader and Emperor. Vader is just encouraging Luke's rage, not attacking back enough to justify Luke's violence towards him, and counting even a fraction of each emotional strike towards his father (spoilers!) he clearly has far more than any D6 test can ever pass him for continued playing...

The GM obviously lets him ride a bit, though. Maybe his own redemption and getting Vader to heelfaceturn (as an NPC already, a lower bar, perhaps) cleared his debts.

(Another DFP plusser I remember is becoming cyber-enhanced. Film-wise, Vader's life-support suit (prosthetic limbs also, if Ep3 is part of it) would definitely count. Luke's replacement hand probably needed meditation to deal with, but coincides with the "white robe Luke" to "dark robe Luke" symbolism change, as well.)

1 Droids probably don't count, so Qui-Jon and Obi-Wan are safe from this in Ep1. If that even works in this system.
2 Not in the Cantina sense. That surely would have been a DSP for Ben, given other options, but he could probably afford it after so much reclusive solitude, and 'prayed it away' not long after, on the Falcon, ready for his force-ascension upon the Death Star. And, anyway, maybe the judgement was one arm and the whole bar of patrons pretending nothing had happened (probably to inform on them later, but they were already getting off-world) was less problematic than the amount of Handwaving ("not the droids..." sort of thing) necessary to exert the same amount of quieting influence.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:17 pm UTC

That's a really neat system for a tabletop. Thanks for the explanation.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

I'm surprised, but glad, if you think so! I think the actual Source Book is briefer about that aspect of gameplay. Or in its entirety, even! ;)

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:11 pm UTC

I know that wasn't nothing to type up, and I really appreciate it!

I always love learning about a new (to me at least) roleplaying system.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”