Star Wars: Episode 7: Electric Boogaleven

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Star Wars: Episode 7: Electric Boogaleven

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

Breaking: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Coming in 2015!

Spoiler:
The Walt Disney Company announced today it has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm and is planning Star Wars Episode 7 for 2015! This is following such big purchases as Pixar and Marvel Entertainment. Here is the full press release:

Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.

Driven by a tremendously talented creative team, Lucasfilm's legendary Star Wars franchise has flourished for more than 35 years, and offers a virtually limitless universe of characters and stories to drive continued feature film releases and franchise growth over the long term. Star Wars resonates with consumers around the world and creates extensive opportunities for Disney to deliver the content across its diverse portfolio of businesses including movies, television, consumer products, games and theme parks. Star Wars feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box to date, and continued global demand has made Star Wars one of the world's top product brands, and Lucasfilm a leading product licensor in the United States in 2011. The franchise provides a sustainable source of high quality, branded content with global appeal and is well suited for new business models including digital platforms, putting the acquisition in strong alignment with Disney's strategic priorities for continued long-term growth.

The Lucasfilm acquisition follows Disney's very successful acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel, which demonstrated the company's unique ability to fully develop and expand the financial potential of high quality creative content with compelling characters and storytelling through the application of innovative technology and multiplatform distribution on a truly global basis to create maximum value. Adding Lucasfilm to Disney's portfolio of world class brands significantly enhances the company's ability to serve consumers with a broad variety of the world's highest-quality content and to create additional long-term value for our shareholders.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Lucasfilm have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement has been approved by the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, it better star Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Re: Star Wars: Episode 7

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 pm UTC

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

...please no.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:30 pm UTC

A new Star Wars Film without George Lucas at the helm? We'll see...
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 pm UTC

If we remember that Disney-owned subsidiaries *have* produced some amazing films and TV shows, and also that Star Wars is often at its best when George Lucas is *not* at the helm, it's a bit easier to assume this won't be a complete disaster. But I agree, it better damn well respect the Extended Universe to some extent.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

I'm gonna be Captain Obvious for a bit here. The three biggest questions: Who will write it? Who will direct it? Will Hamill, Ford, Fischer and Williams be in it ?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 pm UTC

I'd like Zach Snyder to direct, with a screenplay with Joss Whedon, and none of the original actors, unless they do voice overs of their original characters. They're all way too old now.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

Snyder the Hack shouldn't be allowed anywhere near such a project.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

The only good thing is that Lucas isn't directing. Still its a terrible idea.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I'd like Zach Snyder to direct, with a screenplay with Joss Whedon, and none of the original actors, unless they do voice overs of their original characters. They're all way too old now.

I'd be ok with appropriately-aged versions of the original characters as side/supporting characters.

Just as long as they don't try any digital shenanigans to make the actors look younger or anything dumb like that.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 am UTC

I'm of two minds on this.

First, I'm afraid of what will happen to the IP of the franchise, other people's work in Lucas's universe has always been the best part. The armada of books, games, characters and stories that come from sources other than Lucas may vanish if Disney protects Star Wars the way it protects Mickey Mouse. I think this is almost guaranteed, and it saddens me greatly.

On the other hand, the movies were officially Dead To Me. I had committed to a policy of never seeing a Star Wars movie again. However, a Star Wars movie helmed by someone who enjoyed Star Wars as a fan, and not as a creator, with any moviemaking chops, could produce something better than the prequels. And when the thought of Joss Whedon's Star Wars enters my mind, it fills me with giddy feeling. Joss Whedon's Star Wars may very well be possible now, given that he's contracted to Disney through 2015.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 am UTC

I'm echoing the thoughts of Dirk Macaulay, a Systems Analyst, at hearing the news:

"Good. The young-adult novel expansions on the comics based on the prequel movies were starting to get shitty."

Suffice to say, Star Wars is a bloated cash cow and a truly terrible franchise. One good movie, one great movie, and one movie that I adored as a child but now can't stand the ewoks, got swamped by three shitty prequel movies, a host of books that I once tried reading but ended up just thinking that Penny Arcade is right about everything, a conveyor belt of awful, awful games where the roses are few and far between the teeming thorns, endless hordes of religious nuts that are frankly just annoying with their lightsabres and their 'beam me ups', Slave Leia costumes, a truly bizarre Christmas special, wall-to-wall merchandising so thick with marketing money that the hyperbolic satire in Spaceballs now seems ironic in that it didn't go far enough, Yoda selling Vodafone tariffs, Darth Vader selling Burger King Whoppers, horrific racial overtones throughout the films played mostly through slapstick accents and patois, and... I, uh, I rest my case.

In fact, the only good thing to come out of the Star Wars universe, aside from Episodes IV and V, is Genndy Tartakovsky.

So, bizarrely, I'm all up for a new film. The Star Wars universe currently looks like Fanfiction.net violently sneezed into the teen section of a bookshop, so who knows--perhaps a reboot to kickstart a wasting, lumbering dinosaur of a franchise that has no soul left to sell. In a nutshell; nothing they can do can make Star Wars worse.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:32 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I, uh, I rest my case.
Holy fuck, that's an actual real product that you can buy? With money?

I mean, I'd heard of the concept, but I was dead certain it was a joke about how greedy George Lucas is.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:33 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:a conveyor belt of awful, awful games where the roses are few and far between
I disagree. Star Wars games, as far as licensed games go, are pretty god damn good. There are only a few that are bad.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:09 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:'beam me ups'

I see what you did there.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Felstaff wrote:a conveyor belt of awful, awful games where the roses are few and far between
I disagree. Star Wars games, as far as licensed games go, are pretty god damn good. There are only a few that are bad.

To be fair, it is hard to not judge Star Wars games in the shadow of the PC gaming giant LucasArts was in the early 90's. When they weren't inventing new genres, they were innovating them ahead of other developers by years. It is hard to imagine first person shooters without crediting the full 3D environments of Dark Forces or cinematic games without citing Rebel Alliance.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:45 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_video_games#section_2

ALL of jedi knight, x-wing, rogue squadron, podracer, Knights of the Old Republic, and Republic Commando. That pretty much sums up what I call good star wars games. I was too young for anything before rebel assault so I cannot speak for those. That's a small number compared to everything on that list.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:03 am UTC

Woopate wrote:
Dark567 wrote:

ALL of jedi knight, x-wing, rogue squadron, podracer, Knights of the Old Republic, and Republic Commando. That pretty much sums up what I call good star wars games. I was too young for anything before rebel assault so I cannot speak for those. That's a small number compared to everything on that list.

add to that the the Battlefront games (which were great) and LEGO Star Wars (which were pretty damn fun) that is actually the vast majority of the Star Wars titles, as long as you don't count the never ending shovelware, which is often expected to suck anyway.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:43 am UTC

Woopate wrote:The armada of books, games, characters and stories that come from sources other than Lucas may vanish if Disney protects Star Wars the way it protects Mickey Mouse. I think this is almost guaranteed, and it saddens me greatly.

Disney also owns Marvel, and nothing similar has happened to them.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:23 am UTC

Discounting shovelware is discounting the vast majority of Star Wars games. They still count. There's over 100 licensed Star Wars games, and I can count on one hand the good ones. Like I said, a vast swathe of thorns with precious few roses.

"Good" Star Wars games: KotOR, Jedi Knight, X Wing vs. Tie Fighter, Podracer (if you count 8 minutes of arcade fun, followed by teeth-gnashingly infuriating controls to constitute a good game), LEGO Star Wars II
"Okay" Star Wars games: other LEGO Star Wars, Battlefront II, Rebel Assault II (this is actually crap but it holds a special place in my heart), Starfighter? I guess? It looked good and handled smoothly, but it didn't exactly reel me in, Droidworks, Galactic Battlegrounds, Rogue Squadron (though not as good as I remembered it), Republic Commando
"Crap" Star Wars games: Bounty Hunter, Empire at War, Episode I (Naboo, Jedi Power Battles, Gungan Frontier), II, III, Force Commander (it's not fun!), Masters of goddamned Teräs Käsi, Obi Wan, Podracer II (Racer's Revenge!), Rebel Assault (unless you like the Wing Commander series), Shadows of the Empire, Clone Wars, Force Unleashed (although this is okay... I guess)

I haven't played The Old Republic, and I think I'm confusing my Rogue Squadrons with my Rebel Assaults and my Force games. Too many post-2000 games feature the similar third-person perspective that they moosh together into one massive, forgettable ball of neon blaster shooters/aerial battles. I've left out the majority of the wireframe games of the Amstrad and Spectrum days, mainly because I wasn't around to enjoy them, and they are all too primitive to really attribute a greatness scale to.

My yardstick is; if my house were burning down, the only game I would really save is Jedi Knight. If there's one thing virtually every piece of Star Wars media excels at, it's the sound quality. I'll never stop loving the sounds of Star Wars.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Gasha

Postby Gasha » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 am UTC

Woopate wrote:
Dark567 wrote:

add to that the the Battlefront games (which were great) and LEGO Star Wars (which were pretty damn fun) that is actually the vast majority of the Star Wars titles, as long as you don't count the never ending shovelware, which is often expected to suck anyway.

IIRC, the Battlefront games got a pretty mixed critical reaction and were harshly derided as rip offs of Battlefield.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:15 pm UTC

Gasha wrote:
Woopate wrote:
Dark567 wrote:

IIRC, the Battlefront games got a pretty mixed critical reaction and were harshly derided as rip offs of Battlefield.

they were rip-off of Battlefield but I don't think that's a fair criticism, the gaming world is full of rip-offs that are as good as, and in some cases better, than the thing they were "ripping off"
both Battlefront and Battlefront II have meta-scores in the 80%s on PS2 and the 70%s on PC, good scores, even with the harsher PC crowd.
Battlefront on PS2 has 34 positive reviews and 2 mixed reviews and no negative reviews on metacritic, so I'd hardly call their reception "mixed"
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... attlefront
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-battlefront
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... lefront-ii
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star- ... lefront-ii

I will admit that the 2 PSP/DS Battlefront games were a misstep though

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:37 pm UTC

I thought Shadows of the Empire, Rebel Assault(and I like Wing Commander) and Empire at War was awesome.....

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:I thought Shadows of the Empire, Rebel Assault(and I like Wing Commander) and Empire at War was awesome.....

I liked Rebel Assault when I was a kid but I have no idea how it hold up as a game these days, and I never played the other ones you mentioned, but yeah, Star Wars games are often very good, and 1313 looks like it will be pretty good (although that can be said of most SW games before they come out). So it is unfair to say Star Wars games mostly suck.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:11 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:I'd like Zach Snyder to direct, with a screenplay with Joss Whedon, and none of the original actors, unless they do voice overs of their original characters. They're all way too old now.

I'd be ok with appropriately-aged versions of the original characters as side/supporting characters.

Just as long as they don't try any digital shenanigans to make the actors look younger or anything dumb like that.

I agree with this. I'm all for the next movie taking place 30+ years after Jedi and getting Mark Hamill some live-action work in a supporting role. Digital flim-flammery to try and force the original cast to work in age-inappropriate roles would get a gigantic "blah" though.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:

I agree with this. I'm all for the next movie taking place 30+ years after Jedi and getting Mark Hamill some live-action work in a supporting role. Digital flim-flammery to try and force the original cast to work in age-inappropriate roles would get a gigantic "blah" though.

Age aside, they might have to use "Digital flim-flammery" to get Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher into shape though :mrgreen:

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Woopate wrote:The armada of books, games, characters and stories that come from sources other than Lucas may vanish if Disney protects Star Wars the way it protects Mickey Mouse. I think this is almost guaranteed, and it saddens me greatly.

Disney also owns Marvel, and nothing similar has happened to them.

Marvel isn't parodied or criticized nearly as much as Star Wars is(or even when it was new) and I can't look too hard because I'm at work on my phone, but it tickles my memory thst Disney doesn't play nice with people who make fun of it.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

It really can't get any worse, which means it can only stay shit or get better...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

It's pretty obvious how the 7th Star Wars will turn out...

Spoiler:
Mickey Mouse is the promised one, prophetized to bring balance to the force.

here's the proof.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:It really can't get any worse, which means it can only stay shit or get better...

Have you seen the Holiday Special?

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Exactly - it can't get any worse than the Holiday Special!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

As an old internet friend said... I don't know if I trust the Mouse with Star Wars, but I know for a fact that I do not trust it with Lucas.

And then there's what Real Life Comics had to say..... which I'll now summarize.

Disney bought Marvel.

Marvel did not start to suck.

The Avengers happened.

Joss Whedon is closer to writing and directing Star Wars now than ever before.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

So according to the reports, the new movies will be 'original', meaning they will likely be ignoring the expanded universe.

That makes me sad.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Discounting shovelware is discounting the vast majority of Star Wars games. They still count. There's over 100 licensed Star Wars games, and I can count on one hand the good ones. Like I said, a vast swathe of thorns with precious few roses.

"Good" Star Wars games: KotOR, Jedi Knight, X Wing vs. Tie Fighter, Podracer (if you count 8 minutes of arcade fun, followed by teeth-gnashingly infuriating controls to constitute a good game), LEGO Star Wars II
"Okay" Star Wars games: other LEGO Star Wars, Battlefront II, Rebel Assault II (this is actually crap but it holds a special place in my heart), Starfighter? I guess? It looked good and handled smoothly, but it didn't exactly reel me in, Droidworks, Galactic Battlegrounds, Rogue Squadron (though not as good as I remembered it), Republic Commando
"Crap" Star Wars games: Bounty Hunter, Empire at War, Episode I (Naboo, Jedi Power Battles, Gungan Frontier), II, III, Force Commander (it's not fun!), Masters of goddamned Teräs Käsi, Obi Wan, Podracer II (Racer's Revenge!), Rebel Assault (unless you like the Wing Commander series), Shadows of the Empire, Clone Wars, Force Unleashed (although this is okay... I guess)

I haven't played The Old Republic, and I think I'm confusing my Rogue Squadrons with my Rebel Assaults and my Force games. Too many post-2000 games feature the similar third-person perspective that they moosh together into one massive, forgettable ball of neon blaster shooters/aerial battles. I've left out the majority of the wireframe games of the Amstrad and Spectrum days, mainly because I wasn't around to enjoy them, and they are all too primitive to really attribute a greatness scale to.

My yardstick is; if my house were burning down, the only game I would really save is Jedi Knight. If there's one thing virtually every piece of Star Wars media excels at, it's the sound quality. I'll never stop loving the sounds of Star Wars.

If we look even further back, it's worth remembering that the Super Star Wars series of games for the SNES was considered one of the best movie-to-game adaptations of its time (and not just in comparison to the Atari ET game).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:01 am UTC

folkhero wrote:I'm gonna be Captain Obvious for a bit here. The three biggest questions: Who will write it? Who will direct it? Will Hamill, Ford, Fischer and Williams be in it ?

Partial answers to all these questions in one article! Michael Arndt (of Toy Story 3 fame) will likely write it. It looks like the main 3 actors may come back in minor rolls. And Brad Bird might direct. This thing might not suck. I would really be happy if Brad Bird directed; I thought Ghost Protocol was one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time and it had lots of practical effects and stunts instead of relying on CGI. Speaking of CGI, he can do that pretty well too.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:08 pm UTC

While Michael Arndt writing is no bad thing, I saw the BBC headline 'Toy Story writer lands Star Wars', and got really excited that it actually was Whedon, until I read the actual story.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

I find your lack of Whedon...disturbing
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 pm UTC

I'm not saying that episodes I-III are anywhere as good as IV-VI. But Episodes I-VI cohesively portray the downfall and then redemption of Anakin Skywalker. True, Darth Vader isn't really the main character of the original trilogy, as much as Luke is. But Jedi ends with his funeral. I really feel that any more episodes will just feel tacked on, even if they manage to be a continuation of the Saga of the Skywalker Family (or the Skywalker-Solo family in its next generation.) (And aside from the droids, who really feel tacked on in the prequels, Kenobi and Yoda also have an important arc through all six movies, but they're dead "now", just ghosts - true, Ben was a ghost in most of the original trilogy, but he was still important as Luke's mentor and the only real father figure he had.)

I'm torn, because when Episode I was announced, I got excited that episodes VII-IX would come out about now, focusing mainly on Han & Leia's kids and Luke & Mara Jade's kid(s), continuing the saga. Naturally with an old Han, Leia, and Luke portrayed by their original actors, 30-40 years after the original trilogy. But then when it turned out that I-VI were all about one character's life, it seems to me that this won't really work. They may as well not have a third trilogy planned, but just keep making movies as long as they do well, like with Star Trek or Spiderman or Batman or Superman. And then those got rebooted.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the Thrawn Trilogy when it first came out, but it never seemed as being on the same epic scale as Episodes IV-VI, or even Episodes I-III.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

“This is science fiction remember,” we’re told. “Darth Vader will rise from the ashes.”

God fucking dammit. There is nothing worse than science fiction or fantasy that doesn't follow it's own internal rules.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:
“This is science fiction remember,” we’re told. “Darth Vader will rise from the ashes.”

God fucking dammit. There is nothing worse than science fiction or fantasy that doesn't follow it's own internal rules.

Eh the Emperor came back what feels like dozens of times in the EU as far as I know. Maybe some random force thingy will pull Vader's force ghost back from wherever force ghosts go and throw it into a suit.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”