Underrated and Unknown movies

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Underrated and Unknown movies

Postby fjafjan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:02 pm UTC

So basically movies you have seen that you thought were awesome but never realy "made it big". And before anoyne says "zomg Donny Darko" yes that film made it big just not in the theatres.

Personally I have to go with Brick and Oldboy, both awesome movies, yet never hear of them, seen them in video stores whatev.

So gimme your indie, your old and your huddled movies.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

American Skin

I only heard about it from the Clutch website, because they make a brief cameo, but then I had to see it. Indie films like this should be seen by everyone.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

The Imposters -

Wonderful period comedy [Wish it was on DVD!], March 24, 2002
By Matthew Horner (USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: The Impostors (VHS Tape)
It is no surprise that The Impostors didn't do much at the boxoffice. In a time when gross-out comedies are the rule, this stylish, charming effort is definitely the exception. What modern audiences may not realize is that comedy covers a rather broad area. Way back in the 1930s, W. C. Fields was doing now classic movies which were rude, crude and very funny, depending on what you finds amusing. In those days - and for the next fifty years - many different types of comedies were made. Perhaps today the media tends to want to believe the public's tastes are universally the same. I know that Hollywood's marketing strategies seem to come from one common pool of thought, which is why it often cannot market anything not fitting a certain mold.
The Impostors is a fond tribute to a gentler form of humor. Writer, director and star Stanley Tucci has proven with this and 1996's Big Night that he is one of our brightest independent film makers. His biggest attribute is his ability to make us laugh at certain stereotypes without ever being cruel. His is a loving touch.

The time seems to be the 1940s. Tucci and Oliver Platt play Maurice and Arthur, who are best friends and very out of work New York actors. Maurice is tall and thin and seems to be the heart of the pair, while short, chubby Maurice is its brain. Trying to con a baker out of some pastries, they wind up getting tickets to a production of Hamlet instead. During the performance the star, whom they can't stand anyway, winds up getting too drunk to finish the play. Later, in a bar, they are caught by the actor doing a rowdy impression of him. He becomes irate, and in the ensuing chase, the two somehow wind up as stowaways on a luxury liner. Naturally, the star winds up being one of the boat's passengers.

The ship is peopled with delightful eccentrics, including a broke socialite and her depressed daughter, a deposed queen, a gay tennis star, a psychotic Arabian sheik and a couple of fortune hunters. For the most part, the crew is equally mad, and Maurice and Arthur find themselves trapped in this madhouse at sea.

The film is full of sight gags and one-liners, most of which work. Lili Taylor, who later this year will appear as Eleanor in the remake of The Haunting and as Janis Joplin in the movie of the same name, is delightful as the sympathetic social director. Steve Buscemi nearly steals his scenes as a heartbroken crooner ironically named Happy Frank.

I really enjoyed this little jewel, and a most viewers with a sense of the absurd should, too. I even liked the movie's tag line. "Why be yourself when you can be somebody else"? I am really looking forward to Mr. Tucci's next effort.

Plunket & MacCleane-

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
Predictable but fun, April 8, 2003
By Tim Lieder "Founder of Dybbuk Press" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews

I suppose I wouldn't be loving this movie so much without Alan Cummings's scene stealing turn as the Boy George of the 18th century. I might have a problem recommending such a historically sloppy movie without the funky soundtrack that ocassionally tries to sound like 18th century English tunes but most of the time is just having a grand old time with the ahistorical nature of the endeavor.
A thief meets a nobleman while they are trying to steal the same ruby from a third dead thief. They strike up a partnership. Robert Carlysle seems closest to normal in this movie as you're ever going to get but is still charming. Johny Lee Miller has had some lucky casting decisions and some rather unfortunate roles but he's definitely watchable. There's a love story, political intrigue and scenes lifted directly from Westerns but it's all very serviceable.

You might want to rent this movie before buying it, but it is definitive enjoyable fluff and you should watch it if you find yourself bogged down with serious movies like The Pianist or The Hours.

Did I mention that Alan Cummings steals every scene that he's in?

Comment | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
A mixed review..., January 23, 2005
By Stephen M. Moser "The Austin Chronicle" (Austin, Texas USA) - See all my reviews

The big-screen debut of director Scott, whose only other directorial credit is the short-lived television series "The Hunger," is the son of the sometimes-brilliant Ridley Scott. Reuniting Carlyle (who charmed the world in *The Full Monty*) and Miller, who appeared together in *Trainspotting*, it is a somewhat disjointed affair that can be a pleasure to watch, nonetheless. With spectacular art direction, and some dazzling effects, the camerawork can be dizzying as well as captivating. Scott interjects certain modern elements of music and cinematic that can have a jarring effect in this period piece. Aside from a deplorable title (the name sounds too much like *Tango and Cash* or *Turner and Hooch*), this tale of an ill-matched pair of highwaymen, as lush and romantic as it is, leaves something to be desired. With elements of *Robin Hood*, *Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid*, as well as *Batman*, it is an ambitious undertaking.The leads seem to do their best, and are engaging as the rogues, but the story rapidly becomes preposterous and you often find yourself wondering if you missed something. Then there's Liv Tyler. What can we say about Liv? That she's very good for her age? That someday she may be a fine actress? The truth of the matter is, that except for her lineage (such as it is), she is only one of the flood of lovely and somewhat inept starlets that have had a brief moment of attention lately. Always a pleasure to look at, she would do well to introduce a new facial expression (or two) into her repertoire. Alan Cumming, who won the Tony for his portrayal of the emcee in *Cabaret*, is flamboyantly superb as Lord Rochester, Claire Rushbrook has a gem of a role as the wealthy and syphilitic Lady Estelle, and Ken Stott is despicable as the sadistic chief of police. Shot in Prague, Spain and London, the locations serve the film perfectly, but the pop-synth music is at odds with the period, and even though it occasionally adds excitement, overall, it's distracting. Not a bad debut, overall, and a hint of the surprises Scott has in store for us.

Comment | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

9 of 12 people found the following review helpful:
Great entertainment., March 24, 2002
By Shawn Watson "God of Gods" (Badger's Brook, Scotland) - See all my reviews

This movie almost has everything. The action is cool, it's funny, 2 great leading men and a truly nasty villain that I REALLY hated. Not a lot of films have BAD bad guys. Just mainly comic book villains. He really does deserve a might asskicking.
Jake Scott really does have his fathers talent for knowing how to make great visuals. The direction is faultless and has an irresistable lighthearted feel. I don't usually like films set in the old days but this I liked a lot because it makes a point of boring like so many other period films are (Sense and Sensibility, Age of Innocence and the absolute worst...Lady and the Duke). This will restore your faith. Thanx mostly to Craig Armstrong's amazing score. The music is both atmospheric and etheral and in scenes of action it is very exciting.

The DVD is in Dolby 5.1 and has a very grainy and muddy looking 2.35:1 anamorphic picture.

[edit] HOLY CRAP IT'S ACTUALLY ONLY $31.50 FROM A SELLER ON AMAZON RIGHT NOW ON DVD! I'VE NEVER SEEN IT FOR THAT LITTLE ::SNAG::
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

Plunket & MacCleane

GOD I LOVE that MOVIE!! :) Hardly unknown, though! You can buy it for $10 at any video store in town.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:49 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Plunket & MacCleane

GOD I LOVE that MOVIE!! :) Hardly unknown, though! You can buy it for $10 at any video store in town.

Nobody I know has ever heard of it, and I've never seen it for sale since my roomate bought it for me for $3 on VHS at the Blockbuster near our campus. They've never had new DVD's for sale of it on Amazon, only used and usually for $40 or more.

Woah, the text on the box changed. Mine says "they rob from the rich...and just keep it."

They also don't have it on NetFlix.

Ah, I know what it is, you Kanooks (I have no idea how that's spelled) are much tighter with the Brits, so stuff like that is more popular with you I'll bet.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:38 pm UTC

Canucks :) aka Canuckleheads. Yes, we get the good shit.

Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead

FUCK the head! (I own that movie)
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

Beautiful Girls

Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead

Duets
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:47 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Canucks :) aka Canuckleheads. Yes, we get the good shit.

But yes, it's a good movie, I dig it hard.

Traisenau

Postby Traisenau » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

I loves me some Phil the Alien and Mirrormask.
<Will> Drew is the only woman for me

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

I have theater posters for both those movies. Apparently "Unknown movies" means "Things MJ has seen fifty times".

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:00 am UTC

13 Conversations about One Thing.

John Cameron Mitchell's stuff. Yeah, still.

Rolling Thunder (aka Taxi Driver, Jr.)

George Romero movies besides the zombie ones.

The Weather Man (one of the best movies of its year--came and went in the blink of an eye).

The Village. No, really. Underrated.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

Malice wrote:The Village. No, really. Underrated.

How can you under-rate a piece of shit? I guess you could call it INFECTUOUS shit, but even then, it's only barely underrating it.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Malice wrote:The Village. No, really. Underrated.

How can you under-rate a piece of shit? I guess you could call it INFECTUOUS shit, but even then, it's only barely underrating it.

The Village has problems, but it is nowhere near as shitty as most people will tell you. I think it's a problem of expectations; it was very badly marketed, and a perfectly serviceable film sort-of collided with the director's career trend at that point.

My (admittedly anecdotal) evidence suggests that people who've gone back and watched it a second time find their opinion much changed.

When I first saw it, I thought it was absolutely terrible, with only a few good moments to its credit. Forced to watch it again for a class, I found that I liked and understood it much, much better this time.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:27 am UTC

2001: A Space Odyssey

It shames me to type this because people should fucking know this movie.
Every time someone says they have not heard of this film from now on, I will deliver one (1) punch to their throat.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:30 am UTC

I've heard of it twenty times, so I should be able to punch you nineteen times in the throat. And I've watched it four times. It's awesome.

Aw, Brick was already mentioned, so I have nothing to add.

mister k

Postby mister k » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:33 am UTC

Everyone should see Space 2001, so they can appreciate quite how dull it was.

I know this is probably the wrong place to suggest it, but a suprising amount of people haven't even HEARD of the Princess Bride. And that is wrong on so many levels they probably have to invent more to describe the wrongness of it.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:37 am UTC

Earth Girls are Easy, geena davis, julie brown, jim carey, damon wayons
The Man in the White Suit, alec guiness
The Ruling Class, peter o'toole

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:11 am UTC

mister k wrote:Everyone should see Space 2001, so they can appreciate quite how dull it was.

Oh, yes, I quite agree. I find spaceships, aliens, evolution, psychotic singing computers, mysterious black monoliths, brilliant cinematography, and anti-narrative statements about the past, present, and future of nothing less than the human soul to be, *yawn*, tremendously boring.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

Malice wrote:13 Conversations about One Thing.
I thought this movie was really pretty dumb. It did nothing.

MIGHTY - Get me a DVD of Plunket & McCleane then? I will pay you back when I see you at the meet up, or send you monies.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:MIGHTY - Get me a DVD of Plunket & McCleane then? I will pay you back when I see you at the meet up, or send you monies.

I think someone wasn't paying attention to the Meetup thread :) I'll see what I can do, though!

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:50 am UTC

Anything by Peter Jackson, before he got thin.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

i've only seen a few of these movies, but i do know that
Warren Zevon did a song related to 'things to do in denver when you're dead', and bruce springsteen did a song called american skin.
i did not know that either of these were movies until right this minute.
i'm going hunting.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

I know how well-known the album is, but I don't know how well-known the movie "The Wall" is.--
I hear it's popular with the pot-smoking crowd these days.

It's a crazy-good movie though.

[Edited massive failure out]
Last edited by Phi on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

crazyjimbo

Re: Underrated and Unknown movies

Postby crazyjimbo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:Personally I have to go with Brick ...

...but.... I... huh.... NO! Sorry, but I really didn't like that movie. I think it's the only movie I've rented and taken back unfinished; I couldn't get more than about half way through. Please don't tell me it gets great from then on.

pollywog wrote:Anything by Peter Jackson, before he got thin.

You seen Braindead? Best worst movie ever.
Last edited by crazyjimbo on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:39 pm UTC

The Place Promised in Our Early Days - This is an incredible film. It's animated, and revolves around this alternate timeline. The plot is completely character driven, and it's really just beautiful.
Primer - A gritty indie film about time travel. It's pretty much perfect.

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
mister k wrote:Everyone should see Space 2001, so they can appreciate quite how dull it was.

Oh, yes, I quite agree. I find spaceships, aliens, evolution, psychotic singing computers, mysterious black monoliths, brilliant cinematography, and anti-narrative statements about the past, present, and future of nothing less than the human soul to be, *yawn*, tremendously boring.

One of my roommates pulls the "2001 sucked ass" thing occasionally, and I can't help but roll my eyes, as it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. I think that there's an attention span/focus of movie issue at work here.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

2001 is AMAZING the first time.

The second time, you're happy you can fast forward. :)

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:18 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Imp awards?

I was too lazy to host my own image, bandwidth stealing ahoy!

Uh...Image
Again, I'm just stealing bandwidth for that picture. I'll probably feel the wrath of that within a few hours/days.

arachnophilia

Postby arachnophilia » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:11 am UTC

cheerleader ninjas

what an awesome bad movie.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:18 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:

...but.... I... huh.... NO! Sorry, but I really didn't like that movie. I think it's the only movie I've rented and taken back unfinished; I couldn't get more than about half way through. Please don't tell me it gets great from then on.

Brick was great all the way through, actually. But possibly you have to be in love with noir in order to really like it. The premise, in and of itself, is, well, boner-inducing to noir fans; and the movie itself is very, very, very well made.

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:32 pm UTC

The Life of David Gale is an awesome movie.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
crazyjimbo wrote:

Brick was great all the way through, actually. But possibly you have to be in love with noir in order to really like it. The premise, in and of itself, is, well, boner-inducing to noir fans; and the movie itself is very, very, very well made.

How does one *not* like noir, though?

Needless to say, I still find myself stopping, out of the blue, and thinking "Damn, 'Brick' was a good movie"

I'm not sure why I don't own it. I should rectify that.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:11 am UTC

Seconding (or thirding or fourthing) Brick (which I own, but have only see once), Plunkett & MacCleane, The Life of David Gale, and John Cameron Mitchell stuff. (Hedwig is awesome and I own Shortbus.)

I haven't seen 2001: A Space Odyssey yet.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:12 am UTC

Jauss wrote:I haven't seen 2001: A Space Odyssey yet.

GO NOW RENT SEE NOW WATCH GO

arachnophilia

Postby arachnophilia » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:09 am UTC

bbctol wrote:
Jauss wrote:I haven't seen 2001: A Space Odyssey yet.

GO NOW RENT SEE NOW WATCH GO

IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. (experiences may vary, lsd not included.)

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:12 am UTC

Has Dark City been mentioned yet? Dark City. It's like the Matrix, only better (well, certainly more original in terms of its story); it came out about a year before The Matrix, dealt with many of the same themes and ideas, and was totally overshadowed.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:00 am UTC

I'm going to say Sphere. You may think it's shitty, but i thought back then it was good. Very Gooood. :3

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

Malice wrote:Has Dark City been mentioned yet? Dark City. It's like the Matrix, only better (well, certainly more original in terms of its story); it came out about a year before The Matrix, dealt with many of the same themes and ideas, and was totally overshadowed.

Own it :) Every now and then with my kids, when I want them to stop being INSANE DRUNKEN MONKEYS, I'll just utter "Sleeeeeep....... nowwwwww....."

arachnophilia

Postby arachnophilia » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

Malice wrote:Has Dark City been mentioned yet? Dark City. It's like the Matrix, only better (well, certainly more original in terms of its story); it came out about a year before The Matrix, dealt with many of the same themes and ideas, and was totally overshadowed.

and, as an aside, stars richard o'brien of rocky horror fame. totally awesome movie.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”