Any german symphonic metal band?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

alessandro95

Any german symphonic metal band?

Postby alessandro95 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:31 pm UTC

I'm looking for a symphonic metal band that sings in German, something like nightwish or xandria (who sing in english even though they're german) to be more specific about the genre, any suggestions?
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

Mikeski

Re: Any german symphonic metal band?

Postby Mikeski » Tue May 13, 2014 1:06 am UTC

Elis did a few songs per album in German, but most are in English.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Sun May 25, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

Blind Guardian, the kings of power metal. I like a lot of their older stuff [>] [>] but check out Sacred Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ky561nHoW8

Gamma Ray is similar if you end up liking Blind Guardian. I think they eliminated Rebellion in Dreamland from youtube, but you can still hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZw2bRlels

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sun May 25, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

Van Canto are a German power metal band. A few of their songs are in German (most are English though). They're also an a cappella band. It works better than you'd think.

Haggard are a German Medieval/Symphonic metal band, they sing in loads of different languages although I can't think of any songs of there's in German though.

I second blind guardian. Sacred worlds is great.

Imma watch this thread for a bit. German's under-represented in my music.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon May 26, 2014 3:52 am UTC

Hm, I assumed he wanted female vocalists with the "Nightwish or Xandria" comment. And I can't come up with much more than Elis. I've got a few bands with stuff sung in Polish (mostly on the Metal Mind label, like Moonlight), but there's not much in my collection sung in German, much less limiting it to just Nightwishy-sounding bands.

If female vocals aren't needed, the only other thing I found was one track by Therion (Feuer Overture/Prometheus Entfesselt, on the Lemuria album), and it's not anything I'd blindly suggest amongst Therion tracks. (It isn't very Nightwishy, and their more-Nightwishy stuff isn't in German.)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:05 pm UTC

Sadly I don't know many German metal bands, although Xandria, In Extremo and the Guano Apes are of course known.
However, when searching I found a list on Wikipedia. You could check those out for German lyrics.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

just-a-passerby

Postby just-a-passerby » Sun May 01, 2016 7:05 pm UTC

Hello! I don't know if this could help, but I just fell upon a band named Schwarzer Engel and as for now, I think it's quite matching what you were looking for. I hope it would help.

lorb

Postby lorb » Mon May 02, 2016 5:21 pm UTC

Yeah, if you like the more dark metal/goth/doom stuff there is tons of them. You got ASP, Samsas Traum, Zeraphine, Letzte Instanz ... who all sing mainly in german.

For some reason it is pretty uncommon to sing in german for the more power-/symphonic-metal bands. Try Equilibrium.

Also many Nightwish fans are big on Subway to Sally, who are more like folk-metal but have many many german lyrics.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

Return to “Music”