Recommend one artist

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

selfassembled

Re: Recommend one artist

Postby selfassembled » Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 pm UTC

flarpfreak wrote:I say nothing beats the smooth semi-electronic jazz bonobo has managed to produce, pure magic

I always go back to bonobo, reliably good music. You'll probably love the Cinematic Orchestra or the Thievery Corporation.

Art3misX

Postby Art3misX » Fri May 04, 2012 3:44 am UTC

The Airborne Toxic Event. I'm really just stuck on one song - "All I Ever Wanted". This indie rock band is, imho, at its best in this song that uses the violin to its best advantage.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Wed May 30, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

Woland wrote:
MissAusten wrote:Bright Eyes, indie rock band. I fell in love with Conor's voice and the emotions that I can fell in ever song. The lyrics are breathtaking, and will make sense after the third listening of the song :) My favourite song-a perfect sonnet.

Can i second this? One of my favourite bands, although I've gone from hating certain songs to loving them... It's weird, I'd recommend everyone perseveres with this band, when you find one song you like you'll find the others more appealing.

For me the one that really stood out was Bowl of Oranges, (after having listened to the album Wide Awake and found it okay) it's just so lovely and... yeah, lovely. Some others you should definitely try Nothing Gets Crossed Out, Let's Not Shit Ourselves (it's basically an 8 minute song, but really don't let that put you off), At the Bottom of Everything, Take It Easy, Easy/Lucky/Free, Four Winds, Make a Plan to Love Me.

I'll leave it there I think. =P there's quite a lot of variety there, and that's missing out all the older stuff (it seems Miss Austen would be the person to consult on that)

I got into Bright Eyes through a friend who just kept pestering me, now really I do love it/them/him. It's really quite rewarding, although there are some infuriatingly awful lyrics among otherwise lovely songs, which took me a while to come to terms with, but it's good more often than not.

Seriously, give it ago, don't dismiss it as some twee indie as a few of my friend's have, and as I did.

I just discovered Bright Eyes, freaking amazing. Like you said, some songs are amazing while others I could skip, but overall, great albums.
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.

McGrupp

Postby McGrupp » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:08 am UTC

I heartily recommend Phish. Here is a clip from a show they played on my birthday last year! This only contains a tiny bit of the jamming for which Phish is famous - and it's non-exploratory and very tame in nature. But I feel this video perfectly encapsulates all the reasons to see Phish: the amazing sound, the excellent musicianship, THE LIGHTS, THE ENERGY...just watch the glowstick explosion at the beginning! AND, if you don't like those lights, you might not be a human. This explains what a show is like while also showcasing their "2009-present" sound (except for the tasty, TASTY jams - that's more "advanced" stuff):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g-Nqguk ... re=related

NOTE: If you've "tried Phish" before and they turned you off, I recommend giving them another shot for several reasons:

1. studio Phish is not the essence of Phish - as any true phan will tell you, you HAVE to hear them live. Now that we have streaming HD video, you can actually experience a lot of what it's like to be at a show from the comfort of your living room. If you heard a bootleg of an early show, even a rager like 12-31-95, you might have been confused about all the yelling and the terrible sound.

2. "Phish 2.0" - from the end of the "hiatus" around 2000 to the breakup in 2004 - is considered to be a "dark period" by many phans. Trey had a lot of drug problems and the band was straight-up floundering a lot of the time. if you saw Phish during these years, give them another shot. They are all clean and sober now and playing at the top of their game. The difference is remarkable.

3. Every band has a bad night, but a bad night for Phish is still an above-average rock show. Just check out this video?

m0ffle

Postby m0ffle » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:30 am UTC

The wavves- the lyrics are pointless in my opinion, but the melodies are pretty cool.
"Weed demon" or "No hope kids"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:22 am UTC

Two Steps From Hell. Technically more of a production company than a band, but their composers are legendary... If you've watched any action-ish movie in the last ten years, you've listened to them.

This song's my favorite right now. (Apparently it was used in Sucker Punch... the soundtrack was the only thing I really liked about that movie.)

ArDeeJ
Bastet Case

Postby ArDeeJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:27 am UTC

Clark. Go listen. Now.

Body RIddle is currently my favorite, but any sound he causes is awesome*. Fact.

*DISCLAIMER: Not every track by Clark is awesome.

Also, I love anyone who has mentioned Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin or Bonobo. (No Autechre here yet? boo)
puzzles (bad) | tweets (worse) | they pronouns

Mad Mike

Postby Mad Mike » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:07 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Two Steps From Hell. Technically more of a production company than a band, but their composers are legendary... If you've watched any action-ish movie in the last ten years, you've listened to them.

This song's my favorite right now. (Apparently it was used in Sucker Punch... the soundtrack was the only thing I really liked about that movie.)

Ninja'd my artist. While we're on the subject, anyone who's seen the Take Back Earth trailer for Mass Effect 3 has heard parts of at least two of their songs, both very epic. My search for the first track is actually how I found them.
"After the Fall"
"Black Blade"

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 pm UTC

Damn, only one artist? I have a definite top 5 artists/bands but choosing the best out of those sounds hard... but most of them are well known...

...so I'll go with a less well known one - unless you're from down under... - The Cat Empire

A friend recommended them to me a couple years back. They quickly became one of, if not the favourite band of mine. I've seen them in Bristol last year and I intend to see them in London this December...

Their sound is possibly best described as Ska, though, they really don't fit into any single category - with influences of Reggae, Jazz, Rock, Folk, they used to be noted for not using any guitar, though there's a little bit in their latest album. A typical song includes Great lyricism, some 'Fast voice' segments verging on Rap, Multiple heavy brass riffs - (usually one for the chorus, and one for the bridge,) occasional scatting, Awesome solos(mostly on brass, keyboard or sometimes drums), possibly a 'Build-up' to a massive riff, and just general all round awesome, with a distinctly 'bohemian' feel to it...

[url="Hello Hello"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v63TYgNtOV0[/url] - Their most famous single. They've produced a load more fantastic songs since then, though.
[url="Wanted to Write a Love Song"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHVc6WhWPsE[/url] - My personal favourite; unfortunately a practically unknown B-side...

If these links don't work, just go to GrooveShark and search for "Cat Empire - Live on Earth" and listen to any of those (live) recordings.
...sorry if the post's too long again :?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

One artist huh? I've been noticing there's quite the post-rock following around here, so I'm going to throw a local (to where I used to live) band out there.

Astra. Proggy space rock blended with some post-rock riffage and song structure. The first track from The Weirding is on youtube, my post number's a tad low to put up a link, but you guys can do some google-fu. Wonderful live show by the way, and they seem to be touring Europe-side soon, so some of the non-yanks will be able to see some awesomeness from California.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

willaaaaaa

Postby willaaaaaa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

More of an acoustic style here, but I love Missy Higgins ("Scar"), not only beautiful but also Australian. Apparently she was the opening act at a Gotye concert recently, but personally I think Gotye should be opening for her...
"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life." - Bill Watterson

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:04 am UTC

Every Time I Die. The lyrics have a lot of stuff to dig through, which I really wasn't expecting when I first heard them. Tech guitar layed over a more laid back (what he calls "soulful") rhythm.

There's too many tracks to recommend all the good ones, but:
Start here
Faster paced
Slower paced
My current favourite
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:47 am UTC

willaaaaaa wrote:More of an acoustic style here, but I love Missy Higgins ("Scar"), not only beautiful but also Australian. Apparently she was the opening act at a Gotye concert recently, but personally I think Gotye should be opening for her...

I love her new album.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

ecce

Postby ecce » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:10 pm UTC

I'll go with a Polish progressive metal band, Votum. They've got a lighter style, not unlike some of Riverside's work.

Here's their song Indifferent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuoMoMgpGyA. Starts with beautiful piano, after a while it builds and shifts to a heavier tone, bringing in the guitars and closing with some great riffs.

Edit: made the link a link.
Last edited by ecce on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Ashedfog

Postby Ashedfog » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

Crazy new local band from my city started up a progressive hardcore or post-core band and just finished their fire demo. Wicked riffs, solid drums, cool vocals. It's kind of dance-y and happy for "hardcore" but still pretty heavy at times, hope you like it.

http://violencecalgary.bandcamp.com/

tms

Postby tms » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

hroobarb

Postby hroobarb » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

AGORAPHOBIC NOSEBLEED
Grindcore with a drum machine.
The lyrics are interesting and offensive. I like the screaming, it's kind of like that of an abusive husband. The music is engaging and good for cleaning out my ears. A good chunk of the songs on this album are shorter than 6 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTWZOYR_opg

Oryx

Postby Oryx » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Two Steps From Hell. Technically more of a production company than a band, but their composers are legendary... If you've watched any action-ish movie in the last ten years, you've listened to them.

Audiomachine and Immediate music make some similar kind of stuff, I suppose you know about them too ?
Recently, i also discovered Zack Hemsey, also doing some awesome Original soundtracks ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhv_yFMuwxs)

bearachute

Postby bearachute » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 am UTC

3fj wrote:Every Time I Die. The lyrics have a lot of stuff to dig through, which I really wasn't expecting when I first heard them. Tech guitar layed over a more laid back (what he calls "soulful") rhythm.

There's too many tracks to recommend all the good ones, but:
Start here
Faster paced
Slower paced
My current favourite

Oh my god finally someone!

What do you think of their latest album though? I'm not a huge fan.

Uh, hmm let me see what I can recommend.

O'Brother - Ascension is pretty good

kybernetes

Postby kybernetes » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:01 am UTC

If you listen to anything, listen to Beirut.

Check them out, they're a brilliant indie folk band that mixes rock with world music. If you're looking for some relevant post rock music check out Efterklang ("Polygyne" is a good track to start with). I'm also a sucker for experimental rock/new age that mixes saxophones into pretty much anything (former sax player myself). Big Gigantic has a crazy elctr/jazz/dub mix. VERY interesting sounds. Check out their tracks "Its Goin Down" and "Sky High".

If you're looking for some really fresh electr/dub sounds check out Opiuo and Break Science. I'd recommend the tracks "Robo Booty" and "Resistance March", respectively. I'd post links but the forum is convinced I'm a bot.

edit: though some of this music is now in my sig for the world to enjoy...
Blow your mind with new and creative music.

coachb05

Postby coachb05 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 am UTC

All I have to say is Bigelf and the Evils of Rock and Roll - I'm too new and can't yet post URLs. When you have a combination of classic Black Sabbath, throw in some Deep Purple and Alice Cooper, and then touch upon Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin, you CANNOT go wrong!
Helper wrote:People keep sigging me and I don't know how to feel about it. :oops: Although I suppose a sense of belongingness to a crazy cult religion is as good as any.

jdc

Postby jdc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

I like loads of different kinds of music but if I had to pick one artist it would be The Charlatans. Every time. The real dilemma for me is how to pick just one song of theirs.

Bullet Comes
Bumbling charlatan

Bean7

Postby Bean7 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:27 am UTC

did Maroon 5 can be "one artist"? if yes, that's my choice :P

Vinleg

Postby Vinleg » Tue May 28, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 am UTC

squirrel nut zippers
very nice song with video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdAt4qWvz_8
my personal favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hclHw6DQ2k
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

Sebastiaan

Postby Sebastiaan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

blindado1

Postby blindado1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

I like metal.

I recommend Dark Tranquillity :)

Kokirian

Postby Kokirian » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:45 am UTC

U2, my absolute favorite band of all time. Their music is life.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

kybernetes wrote:If you listen to anything, listen to Beirut.

(I) Second (this).

Marvin wrote:squirrel nut zippers
very nice song with video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdAt4qWvz_8
my personal favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hclHw6DQ2k

My friend Chris has been having them on a lot lately.
They are way better than i had known they were in the 90s when they were a thing.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

moiraemachy

Postby moiraemachy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Unexpect. An insane, awesome, and unique avante-garde metal band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CgLBeWeL-4
Reminded me of pokemon. I thought you should know.

Edit: so, I figured this sounds pretty eclectic, so I thought of sharing: Tim Maia, brazilian soul singer. And fortunately it seems that his potential for international success did not go unnoticed. His best album is arguably from the period when he quit drugs and joined a scientology-like cult, maybe simply because of how healthy he was (he had an awesome voice, but drugs took a toll on it).

spidernova

Postby spidernova » Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 am UTC

A local band from Austin, The Sword. Stoner metal, and they completely take after Black Sabbath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9G2zAKJH98

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:03 pm UTC

Sam Baker, a folk singer who is also from Austin (although I came across him through Late Junction, which is the best music show on radio). Sam was on a train to Matchu Pitchu in 1986 which got blown up by the Shining Path, his rather unusual singing style (particularly the timings) comes from having to teach himself to talk and sing again after suffering brain damage in the explosion.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5982910/sam_baker_odessa/

It's impossible to say that his is my favourite music (music is far too broad to have one favourite), but it's right up there, and probably one that not many people will have heard of.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

Dynatron is arguably some of the best stuff to emerge from the synthwave/retro 80s electro-genre (which is sadly otherwise mostly overrun with unoriginal Kavinsky-clones).

Some samples:
Pulse Power
Fireburner
Unquestionable Judgement
73 Million Horsepower
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Rosencrantz

Postby Rosencrantz » Sat May 16, 2015 7:13 pm UTC

I'll have to go with the electronica band Approaching Nirvana, and a song from Cinematic Soundscapes Vol. 1 (their first album): "First Flight". They've drifted more synthwards since then, but I still have hopes for a Cinematic Soundscapes Vol. 2 coming out eventually. That said, I do like their newer stuff, such as "Lights Are Out" from Waiting for the Sun.
GNU Terry Pratchett

he/him/his
Rosencrantz/Rosen/Rose/[unique identifier]

samson25

Postby samson25 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:51 am UTC

AC DC!

CatharticMonkey

Postby CatharticMonkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:32 am UTC

If there's one band I'd rate more highly than any other at the moment, it'd probably have to be Snarky Puppy. Some great Jazz Funk and an incredible display of musicianship.

As a Scot, I'd also have to say Biffy Clyro, which can only be described as interesting alt-rock with some amazing and, at times, nonsensical lyrics.

On top of that, I've been listening to some Royal Blood of late, which is fantastic heavy blues-rock and a lot of fun.

gob

Postby gob » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:08 am UTC

I highly recommend trout mask replica, after listening to music a lot they provide a breath of fresh air.

Arran

Postby Arran » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:43 pm UTC

Laura Veirs. I can't link due to being new, but trust me. Year of Meteors is one of my favourite albums.

Kalium_Puceon

Postby Kalium_Puceon » Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 pm UTC

I'm going to put down 2Cellos as a really fun rock pair. They're classically trained and exceedingly competent cellists who do great covers of some popular music. They're actually good enough that I went out and bought a CD. Yes, a Compact Disc.

As far as I'm concerned this is a pretty good representation of what they can do.
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."

-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Return to “Music”