Playing musical instrument after playing an RTS on computer

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jacques01

Playing musical instrument after playing an RTS on computer

Postby jacques01 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:35 am UTC

This could be a coincidence, but I notice that if I start playing Guitar after several hours of RTS on the computer (e.g. Starcraft), my guitar playing starts out a lot smoother and on tempo versus if I just start playing guitar "cold" without RTS before hand. It feels as though my fingers are already warmed up.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I suppose this could make sense if the same parts of the brain that allow me to type on the keyboard effortlessly are somehow also involved in how I play the guitar. I play a lot of sheet music for the guitar, so perhaps the same network of the brain is already primed and therefore playing sheet music is not much different than typing and entering commands for an RTS game in terms of the actual algorithm our brains use? Or did I do "transfer learning", trying to use my RTS dexterity to aid my guitar? For what its worth I played RTS long before I played guitar (RTS around age of ~6, guitar in my twenties).

somitomi

Re: Playing musical instrument after playing an RTS on computer

Postby somitomi » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:43 pm UTC

jacques01 wrote:I suppose this could make sense if the same parts of the brain that allow me to type on the keyboard effortlessly are somehow also involved in how I play the guitar.

I think this is actually the case at least partially, since both activities involve coordinated finger motions. So the parts responsible for "fine motor skills" (I think that's the technical term) are involved in both. How much effect warming up has on the performance of that is something I couldn't even guess though...
write something... that says something... about something
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind. ✆ Hello? Yes, this is Forum Games!

Return to “Music”