Modest Mouse?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

NOT Steve

Modest Mouse?

Postby NOT Steve » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:35 am UTC

Do people here like/listen to them? My favorite song is This Devil's Workday, and I just wanted to see if I would be greeted with a discussion of the pros and cons of the different albums, or be textually abused for my taste in music. Either way, let's dialogue!
Should horses be represented in the Senate? Nay.

Cai

Postby Cai » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Modest Mouse is by far my favorite band. I could talk about them for days! It's so hard for me to pick one favorite album, but it would probably have to be Moon & Antarctica. It was the first album of theirs I bought and it has well over 200 listens by me. Mmm.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

I like everything but I only purposely listen to albums moon and antartica or after. I really like Good News and We were Dead as albums

ludwig_van

Postby ludwig_van » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

The Devil's Workday seems like an odd choice for a favorite song by them, or maybe that's just me. I just saw them in concert in Brooklyn, it was a-mazing. The concert was in an enormous emptied-out swimming pool, and everything about it was just incredible.

Have you heard the new album? They didn't play that many songs from it, but I almost like it more than Good News or Moon & Antarctica.

Wooo, Modest Mouse!

Wakawaka

Postby Wakawaka » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

My favorite song by them must be Dramamine from This is a Long Drive, their new album is pretty cool too.
The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

I only really know the "Good News for People who Love Bad News" Album, but it's tres bien. I've heard some "Moon in Antarctica" but I didn't like it as much. The thing I do wonder is how the band escaped ending up on the Garden State soundtrack. I'm betting they declined.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

I've got the Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon and Antarctica, Good News. . . and the newest album.

I like them all but "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" has the least heart. Depending on whether you're in the mood for a more white-trash version of The Pixies or a great pop bank they're great.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

The only album I've listened to is Good News, and I love it. It took me awhile to get used to some of the songs, but I've found that the songs I initially despised are now among my favorites.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:33 pm UTC

I can't get over how weird it is that this band got big, as in "#1 album in America" big. Sure they write some mainstream pop songs on each album, but you'd think "Florida" or "March Into the Sea" would scare away record buyers in this lame society.

Ended

Postby Ended » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

Love'em. My favourite album used to be Moon & Antarctica, but for some reason I've recently gone off it a lot, I find it very...pretentious, kind of, in places.

Conversely, Lonesome Crowded West, which I used to find unlistenable, has now become of my favourite albums.

[showoff]I have a mint copy of this ep![/showoff]
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

marshlight

Re: Modest Mouse?

Postby marshlight » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:49 am UTC

Got hooked on Good News and tried to get the rest... which ended up, er, not being quite what I had expected. They have a few albums that I just straight deleted, because I'm not a huge fan of dissonant noise and shouting. But Moon in Antarctica is very good. And I had We Were Dead on constant play for weeks after I bought it. Whee!

But when I saw them in concert they were a bit...lackluster. Sounded good but not mindblowing or anything. I think I'll continue to enjoy the music from afar...I know that Isaac guy is kind of a mean dude and I'd like not to taint good music because I'm thinking that while I'm listening.

Clumpy wrote:I can't get over how weird it is that this band got big, as in "#1 album in America" big. Sure they write some mainstream pop songs on each album, but you'd think "Florida" or "March Into the Sea" would scare away record buyers in this lame society.

Dude, Florida is catchy as crap. It doesn't even matter what he's saying (though I don't think this one is bad at all, especially in comparison to a vast selection of others he sings). Now that you've mentioned it, it will now be stuck in my head for days. Ack.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

I just meant that it's not the mainstream nonsense most like.

I kind of wish Brock showed a little more of his personality on the new album. Some of the songs are great but none of them have the crazed madness that my favorites like "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine" or "3rd Planet" had. I don't know. I'd like him to be raving a bit.

"Cities Made of Ashes" is still my favorite Modest Mouse song and "Float On" (still the first song of theirs that I ever heard) was and still is awesome.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

On re-listening to The Moon and Antarctica... holy fuck, why did I ever delete that album?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

I actually got the version Brock remixed. The sound quality is much better for headphones. I'd suggest getting the 2004 version as well.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

i have both versions. they have notable differences in mastering style.

also, as far as modest mouse goes, they are definitely one of my favorite bands, but i was not really that pleased with their newest album. it seemed cool when i got it, but i haven't even had the slightest urge to listen to it since.

lonesome crowded west is probably my favorite album by them, brock comments on a lot of society and social thought processes that i think are interesting.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

Get. out. of. my head!!!

Mainstream pop they are not. We've Got Everything, off WWDBTSES is great, except for the "first off gary got all messed up" part. Really strange.

I really like Bury Me With It.

We are hummingbirds who are just not willing to move
we've lost the plot and we just can't choose
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:32 am UTC

OmegaLord wrote:Get. out. of. my head!!!

Mainstream pop they are not. We've Got Everything, off WWDBTSES is great, except for the "first off gary got all messed up" part. Really strange.

I really like Bury Me With It.

We are hummingbirds who are just not willing to move
we've lost the plot and we just can't choose

I don't know why but I usually skip that track. Actually on Good News... I mostly listen to Float On, Ocean Breathes Salty, The View, and Black Cadillacs.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:42 am UTC

Victor named the good ones. *highfive*

Plus The Good Times Are Killing Me and, if I'm feeling mopey, Blame it on the Tetons.

Go go itunes! I now require a MM fix.

niende

Postby niende » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

A friend used to play "Everywhere and His Nasty Parlor Tricks" and especially Night on the Sun all the time on our roadtrip. but that really is all I've been able to listen to of theirs.

Roxaven

Re:

Postby Roxaven » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:31 pm UTC

Wakawaka wrote:My favorite song by them must be Dramamine from This is a Long Drive, their new album is pretty cool too.

Ahhh, Modest Mouse. I do love them, they have such a unique style.

And Dramamine is one of my favorite songs to play on Electric Bass. As well as Convenient Parking... Even if the bass lines are just one riff over and over.... And over and over...
I don't do drugs...

I just write mediocre poetry.

mackey

Postby mackey » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:48 am UTC

i really like them, my favorite album by far is This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About, im not a huge fan of the new album but there are some good songs on it, i have Moon and Antarctica and Good News and The Lonesome Crowded West but i havent really listened to them yet, i should probably get on that

Klye

Postby Klye » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:52 am UTC

They are one of my favorite bands.

I don't know why, but I find it strange that so far almost everyone who has posted likes them. Maybe it's because I view them as a generally less accepted band out in the real world...
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:55 am UTC

Well, chances are, only a fan of the band are going to open a thread entitled 'Modest Mouse'.

Although, I'm kind of disproving my own hypothesis here, because I'm a bit 'meh' about them.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:30 am UTC

3rd Planet is beast. I just want to make that clear.

There are a few of their other songs that I like a fair amount, such as Tiny Cities..., Never-Ending Math Equation, and Float On, but in general I'm somewhat "meh" about them. Except for 3rd Planet, which is one of the best songs ever.
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Re:

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 pm UTC

Wakawaka wrote:My favorite song by them must be Dramamine from This is a Long Drive, their new album is pretty cool too.

Same here on the song. Good News is definitely my favorite album from them, but that one is a close second.

I KNEW I would see a thread about Modest Mouse if I came to this subforum. Anyone else have moments like that on these fora?

/me ignores responsibilities and re-listens to The Moon and Antarctica.

Mmm, can somebody post other bands like MM? Alike in any measure? Wolfmother is one that comes to mind, but they sound a lot different most of the time.

pr1mu5

Postby pr1mu5 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

NOT Steve wrote:Do people here like/listen to them?

No. Can't get into them, don't know why. I get them recommended to me because of my other musical tastes, but I just can't get into Modest mouse....

:|

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Re: Re:

Postby Angelene » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

waltwhitmanheadedbat wrote:
Mmm, can somebody post other bands like MM? Alike in any measure? Wolfmother is one that comes to mind, but they sound a lot different most of the time.

Hmm, I'm hesitant to start trying to compare and contrast bands, I prefer to see each on its own merits, but as a recommendation I'll suggest Wolf Parade, and then by virtue of that, Sunset Rubdown.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Cai

Postby Cai » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:40 am UTC

Common comparisons are Built to Spill, Pixies, the Shins. I would say there are some elements of Built to Spill in there, but not too many. It's honestly pretty hard to compare them, they have truly forged a sound all their own.
first.am

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:59 am UTC

I love the Shins, at least their first two albums. I havent yet listened to Wincing the Night Away enough to grow on it yet. I've never listened to anything by the other 4 bands mentioned. For fans of the Shins I would recommend Architecture In Helsinki, though.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

Note that the lead singer from the Shins actually does backup vocals in WWDBTSES, most notably in We've Got Everything. :)

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:46 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:I actually got the version Brock remixed. The sound quality is much better for headphones. I'd suggest getting the 2004 version as well.

That could be it. (I think I have the 2004 version?)

And the reason was: my brother - why do you have modest mouse?
*me deletes modest mouse*
[an unspecified amount of time passes]
me - damn ...
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Cai

Postby Cai » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:55 am UTC

You should punch your brother in the face. And yourself.
first.am

Return to “Music”