Podcast Recommendation Thread

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Millumi

Podcast Recommendation Thread

Postby Millumi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:38 pm UTC

Taking the guidelines from the great recommendation thread in movies/tv:
If you're giving a recommendation - Clearly state what it is and what it's all about.

If you're asking for a recommendation - Clearly state your likes, dislikes, and if certain genres or styles do not appeal to you.

Just to get started, I think a lot of you would probably like many of the podcasts on the network maximumfun.org.
The network has some shows more focused on comedy, and some more focused current events/progressive political issues.
Omnia vincit veritas.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: Podcast Recommendation Thread

Postby plytho » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:36 am UTC

I never really got into any podcasts because I could never figure out when to listen to them. They don't work as background when I'm doing something else because I tend to miss half of the conversation and it feels weird to just sit on the couch listening.

That said, someone on these forums (Moo, I believe) recommended "Hello from the Magic Tavern" and I was instantly hooked. I also found that I can listen to it while ironing without a loss of quality for either activity.
he him his

Millumi

Postby Millumi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 pm UTC

The crazy premise of that kind of reminds me of another podcast, The Useless Majors.
To sum it up briefly: people get superpowers from radioactive college degrees.
Though they've been pretty inactive as of late, the last new episode was early march, and before that was one in september.
Omnia vincit veritas.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 am UTC

I'm a bit behind on my downloaded podcasts, because I have a backlog of (linearly broadcast) radio, already.

But (being on both of these lists) I think that More Or Less is something I think that forumites might appreciate (or appreciate the opportunity to critique).

And of course No Such Thing As A Fish.

(Others on my personal list with a broad interest: Dwarf Fortress Talk*, The Infinite Monkey Cage, The Political Party, TED Talks (audio), BBC Inside Science, Comedy On Vinyl... * - nothing new for several years, but I'm still a bit behind.)

Millumi

Postby Millumi » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:12 pm UTC

Cortex is definitely a great podcast. CGPGrey and Myke Hurley topics mainly centered around being self employed, schedules, workflow, etc.
Of course, if I'm mentioning that, I should of course bring up Grey's other podcast, Hello Internet. Which is more of a general 2 guys talking type of podcast with random topics (flags, planes, movies, etc.)
Omnia vincit veritas.

Return to “Music”