Japan Specific

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Japan Specific

Postby parkaboy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Very often I'm amazed at how many people recognize Japan as a strong musical force. At the same time i'm amazed at how many people dont.

Akira, here we are. I give you Buck Tick and, progressively, other japanese bands that i like. Belial, the first couple and last songs are what i meant when i referenced Japanese Robert Smith.

Romance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkLymcP2zMc
Kagerou: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f12qxpRt2oo
Dress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtY9Uq-98zs
Glamorous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hHk_KAb72Q
Kodou: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68aqgxCs_w
Love Letter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FSXRYAS0tM
Candy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZD_D2lwDrY

-----

Akira, i do not have that link for the mystery video anymore. I'll dig around and see if i can find it, but without knowing the song title OR band name its gonna be tough ><

SO! anyone else have any japanese bands that we NEED to know about? Others i enjoy include Luna Sea, Dragon Ash, Hal Cali, Ayumi, Malice Mizer (i prefer w/ Klaha but i LOVE Gackt's solo stuff)

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

hamlet

Re: Japan Specific

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:21 pm UTC

The Pillows are a great modern punk band from Japan whose popularit has soared because of thier songs being used for FLCL.

Cant forget X-Japan. One of the best japanese bands. One of the best under-the-radar metal bands. One hell of a band, period. X-Japan rule.

Also, anyone notice that when a metal band is dying, they go to Japan and record a live album there? Scorpions (Tokyo Tapes), Judas Priest (Unleashed in the East), Cheap Trick (Live at Budokan), Paul Gilbert (Acoustic Samurai), Spinal Tap, every other Live at Budokan, or just going to Japan to revive popularity? Freaky Coincidence?

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

My friend likes the boredoms. Also I heard one Envy song (Further ahead of warp, it was from the temporary residence site), and it is awesome. If I understood it, it would be awesomer - but I really don't think I need to (in a way that is both extremely vague and also probably unhelpful).

And I like Mono too, but I haven't heard much. (and edited version one of their songs is on the trr site too, trr is just the shit.)

Oh god, its the good bit (5.40 ish) in antennas to heaven. this is doing me so much good.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:33 pm UTC

mm i didnt realize mono was japanese in origin. i'll have to look into that a bit more. I've heard of the Pillows and heard a couple songs but i havent really dug into them yet. Thanks for the reminder ^_^ i'll see what i can find soon.

I've been watching an anime called Nana which is, all drama aside, about two rival bands that share a very close history through relationships and stuff. the music is GODDAMN AWESOME. As much as i hate to side with Trapnest, i really like the recordings they did for this particular band. apparently its someone named Olivia Lufkin. she sings in english and japanese and doesnt look particularly asian. half maybe? (grrr youtube is being pissy. i'll post some vids in a moment)

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

Buck Tick continues to make me giggle a lot. I totally approve.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

me too. i made a wallpaper it makes me giggle so much. jeff gets plenty of eye-rolling in when i get on about Atsushi.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

YOU TUBE FTW!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=abKLIQlZBT4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VhRas_qrz5Y (i LOVE this song T_T )

i couldnt find an actual vid for Starless Night, but its my favorite so far. heres the song w/ some clips from Nana http://youtube.com/watch?v=sXGS2GIm8Hc

Yayuhz

Postby Yayuhz » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:01 pm UTC

Asian Kung Fu Generation is a really top quality J-Rock band. Kimi No Machi Made (sorry if I put spaces in wrong places, there) and Haruka Kanata are my personal favourite songs.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:30 am UTC

I myself have been looking for more music from Japan, so this seems as good a place to put down some bands I've found. Asian Kung Fu Generation is very good, and ORANGE RANGE as well. Recently ORANGE RANGE came out with the song Ikenai Taiyou, used on the J-Drama adaption of Hanazakari no Kimitachi e that's really catchy. I've also been told that Irokui(?) is good,as well as a bunch of other bands that I need to find my list of, but it's been slow going trying to find the music anywhere.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:01 am UTC

someone mentioned xjapan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LASqzGlGXNI

this video reduces me to a puddle of weeping human every time i watch it =(

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:46 am UTC

Boris are fantastic.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

halkun

Postby halkun » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:27 am UTC

I speak Japanese, and it's a shame that one of the most wonderful parts of the music is lost in the translation. I used to sub concerts myself, and was quite good it it until Avex deleted my account. I do come across some awesome subs that really show the power of Japanese music.

This video is why I'm such a fan of Ayumi Hamasaki.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

no-genius mentioned boredoms earlier in the thread, and i was just going to mention that i saw their 77 drums performance in NYC back in july which was amazing. they are definitely a breakthrough artist in their genre.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:37 am UTC

there's a band thats going to be here monday night and i'm so going to see them. they're called Gunship 666. i've never heard of them, never heard their music. my friend john saw them in dallas last night and said they are CRAZY. i'm going to check out their myspace when i get home and go see em monday. I'll let you know what i think of them after that. HEHE ^_^

*EDIT* HOLYCRAP!! http://www.myspace.com/gunship666 watch the video of Masami's guitar solo on the right. O_O i cannot wait for tomorrow night!!

kawak17

Postby kawak17 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

why hasn't HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR been mentioned? :( One of my favorite bands! and ORANGE RANGE, who were mentioned earlier... they're not bad either :D Very easy to bob your head along to. If you're interested check out ikenai taiyou (which was also mentioned earlier), shanghai honey and hana (for a good ballad.)

Q.W.Quee

Postby Q.W.Quee » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:56 am UTC

Speaking of bands that haven't been mentioned yet, what about 403? I've always liked their stuff.
Do you like my hat?

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:32 am UTC

this band was insane. they spoke VERY little english and rocked the hell out. the singer was bleeding from the forehead and it was trashy, yet complex and melodic at the same time. Masami is wow. just... amazing. and she's SO TINY! ^___^

i will be sure to look into those other bands soon. thanks for the suggestions =]

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:48 am UTC

I don't think anyone mentioned TMR, either?? I think he's amazing <3

His band, Abingdon Boys School, has their first album out now, which I plan to download once I switch back to windows.

Once I have my usual OS back, I'll provide some of my favorite links and maybe upload some of my favorite myoosic.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

Apocralypse wrote:Very often I'm amazed at how many people recognize Japan as a strong musical force. At the same time i'm amazed at how many people dont.

Akira, here we are. I give you Buck Tick and, progressively, other japanese bands that i like. Belial, the first couple and last songs are what i meant when i referenced Japanese Robert Smith.

Romance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkLymcP2zMc
Kagerou: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f12qxpRt2oo
Dress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtY9Uq-98zs
Glamorous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hHk_KAb72Q
Kodou: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68aqgxCs_w
Love Letter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FSXRYAS0tM
Candy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZD_D2lwDrY

YEY! Awesomeness. Can't wait to not be at work, so I can actually hear this stuff.

Tokyo Ska Paraidse?

Also you should come back to Boston.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Akira

Postby Akira » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:Very often I'm amazed at how many people recognize Japan as a strong musical force. At the same time i'm amazed at how many people dont.

[...]

SO! anyone else have any japanese bands that we NEED to know about? Others i enjoy include Luna Sea, Dragon Ash, Hal Cali, Ayumi, Malice Mizer (i prefer w/ Klaha but i LOVE Gackt's solo stuff)

Now that I have more time, I formulate a more proper response! Lol.

@Luna Sea: Amazing. If you haven't heard them, you must. They're on the "If you haven't heard yet, you suck" list, since they are one of the original, defining bands of Japanese rock music. When I say defining bands, I mostly mean the bands that are still worshipped to this day.

@Malice Mizer: You really need to listen to some from all of thier "incarnations" to get a true feel for thier sound. I can usually identify which different eras each song comes from when I hear them--Tetsu, Gackt, and Klaha. Personally, I strongly dislike Mana, because he's an asshole, but I cannot deny that thier music is good.

@Gackt solo: ...What can anyone say about Gackt? Other than that the man is absolutely insane[1]? And that he's some 400 years old[2], evidently. He's got an amazing voice and has had a great career, both as vocalist for a band and as a solo artist. Some personal favorite songs include Mizerable and Vanilla, which are earlier in his solo career. (Fun fact: I share a birthday with the violinist in Mizerable!) His latest, RETURNER yami no shuunen is evidently based on a drama he's doing[3]. He's done countless commercials, several featuring an amusing old woman, and several for e-ma, which is evidently a candy... My absolute favorite is this one, though. I think I gave Gackt-sama an unfair amount of links. Oh well.

Other bands that were mentioned:

@X Japan: I fangirl over Yoshiki and hide so much. X Japan was amazing; they were one of the first Japanese rock bands to really make an impact. Guitarist hide passed away in 1995(?), after the band's breakup. Toshi was an ass--he joined what has been described as a cult and is credited with breaking up the band. I don't know much about Pata, Heath or Taiji--other members and former members of the band, but Yoshiki is freakin amazing.

@Dir en grey: The band that introduced me to Japanese rock. I confess that I don't like ALL of thier stuff, but there is so much of it that I can afford to pick and choose what I like--6 albums, 2 EPs, a remix album, 22 singles, with thier twenty third due later this month, a TON of PVs, lives, several DVDs, two american tours, several more european tours... They do it all, so often. Kyo is going to kill himself off with overwork. (He's in a race with Yoshiki and Gackt). Love them. Enough said. If you look over thier stuff, I guarantee that you should find at LEAST ONE song that you like. (Personal favorites: Kodou, not to be mixed with the Buck Tick song of the same name, as provided by parka; The Final, Jealous Reverse, Ain't Afraid to Die, and Cage(possiblyNSFW))

@L'arc~en~Ciel: Another amazing band. Most people's first taste of them comes from the Fullmetal Alchemist theme, "Ready, Steady, Go!", but they have a huge variety of other stuff, too. Also, the frontman, Hyde, has several solo works out, including Rotengen Stories, which is a 4-song mini-album(?) with accompanying 20-minute music video. Each song, unless I'm mistaken, has both an English and Japanese version.

@Miyavi: This man is going to be a Legend, up there with Gackt, Yoshiki, hide, and the Rolling Stones. He's actually a member of a band with three of the Jrock Gods: Gackt, Yoshiki and Sugizo (of Luna Sea). He can do things like Senor, Senora, Senorita, which has an odd mix of mostly Japanese with a little English and Spanish thrown in for fun, as well as amazingly awesomely incredible guitar work like in Selfish Love, plus more and so-on.

What else?

Not too many people mentioned any pop, but it has its place, too.

@Utada Hikaru: I love this woman's work. She's done so much over the years, and of such a variety--ballads, upbeat, downbeat, in Japanese, in English. Most people know the song Simple and Clean, from Kingdom Hearts, which is the English version of Hikari. She also covered Boulevard of Broken Dreams rather well.

@Hello! Project and Johnny's Entertainment: My personal favorite pop comes from here--Arashi, which is one of Johnny's bands. Also in this group are the KinKi Kids, KAT-TUN, Kanjani8, as well as H!P's Morning Musume rotating group and soloists Aya Matsuura and Maki Goto. Former members include Aya Ishiguro, former Morning Musume member who married Shinya Yamada, of Luna Sea.

@Ai Ostuka, Koda Kumi, Ayumi Hamasaki: Several other female artists who are also worth checking out. ...Um... Not ALL of Koda Kumi's videos are like that, for the record... ...I think.

Some miscellanious videos:

((1)) - Gackt and Ayumi Hamasaki doing a Christmas special. There is another video where they sing Silent Night as a duet. I don't recommend it. He can't speak English, and her voice isn't suited for English, lol.
((2)) - More of Ai Kago and Gackt, only this time she impersonates him on a television show a little more thoroughly. It's cute.
((3)) - Speaking of impersonations, here's one guy's impression of Arashi's Jun, during the song Wish.

And now that everyone has more jrock/jpop links than they could care to look at, I will sneak away to obsess some more.

kawak17

Postby kawak17 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

Akira wrote:@Luna Sea: Amazing. If you haven't heard them, you must. They're on the "If you haven't heard yet, you suck" list, since they are one of the original, defining bands of Japanese rock music. When I say defining bands, I mostly mean the bands that are still worshipped to this day.

Are they really that popular? I mean I like a couple of songs from them but I don't remember them being insanely worshiped. I think X Japan better fits that description... one of the earliest Japanese rock bands that was truly loved.

Akira wrote:@X Japan: [...]Guitarist hide passed away in 1995(?), after the band's breakup.

1998* :) During the time period between X Japan's disbanding and his death he formed another group called "hide with spread beaver". Also good stuff! I personally recommend Pink Spider. It's one of the bestselling songs in Japan's history :)

But moving onto pop as Akira mentioned.... and adding onto what was already said :)

Hamasaki Ayumi: was insanely popular especially in the 1998-2000 period. Not a fan of her, but there are many who enjoy her music.
Utada Hikaru: immediately gained popularity with upbeat, catchy songs in 1998, but gradually moved on to her slower, unique style. Passion's (theme song for Kingdom Hearts 2) unarguably her most unique example.
Otsuka Ai: was insanely popular especially in 2003/2004 for the cutesy catchy song "Sakuranbo". She's the most cutesy and happy one of the four, but she does have a serious sense in her. Some recommended cutesy/Happy songs include: Sakuranbo (as mentioned), Happy Days, Frienger, Peach. Her ballads (which are surprisingly very strong despite her cute image/voice) include: Planetarium, Daisukidayo.
Koda Kumi: currently the most popular one out of the four. She sang the theme song "Real Emotion" for Final Fantasy X-2, but didn't make her big break out till 2004 with her cover of "Cutey Honey" that showed her. um. "sexiness". Since then she's had a lot of sluttiness, but has moved on to being more music-selling rather than appearance-selling. Her ballads are very nice. I especially recommend her latest "Ai no Uta", but other good ballads of hers include: Yume no Uta, You.

Others who haven't been mentioned yet:
Angela Aki- usually known for her song "Kiss Me Good-bye" which was used as the theme song for Final Fantasy XII. Surprisingly, however, she didn't make her big breakout until her song "This Love" (used in the anime series Blood+), when people realized how strong her voice is. Always sings while playing a piano. Recommendations: Sakurairo, Kiss Me Good-Bye, HOME.

Ito Yuna- one of my favorite voices. I find her voice absolutely gorgeous, or as MICRO of DEF TECH says, "angel-like." First seen in the movie NANA as REIRA, singing "ENDLESS STORY" under the name of "REIRA starring YUNA ITO". Her strongest ballad since then is undoubtedly "Precious." (Precious PV on YouTube)

And now i'm just going to spit out names cause I'm too lazy to write about them: Crystal Kay, DREAMS COME TRUE, EXILE, CHEMISTRY, Amuro Namie, AI, Nakashima Mika.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:14 pm UTC

kawak17 wrote:
Akira wrote:@Luna Sea: Amazing. If you haven't heard them, you must. They're on the "If you haven't heard yet, you suck" list, since they are one of the original, defining bands of Japanese rock music. When I say defining bands, I mostly mean the bands that are still worshipped to this day.

Are they really that popular? I mean I like a couple of songs from them but I don't remember them being insanely worshiped. I think X Japan better fits that description... one of the earliest Japanese rock bands that was truly loved.

Perhaps not insanely worshiped, but their following was almost as strong as X Japan's, from what I understand--a lot of which stemmed from the fact that Yoshiki and hide produced them, I think, but they have a very good sound and, in my experience, are more cited as an influence.
Akira wrote:@X Japan: [...]Guitarist hide passed away in 1995(?), after the band's breakup.

1998* :) During the time period between X Japan's disbanding and his death he formed another group called "hide with spread beaver". Also good stuff! I personally recommend Pink Spider. It's one of the bestselling songs in Japan's history :)

I absolutely new that, I just had a brainfart. <_< X Japan disbanded in '97 (stupid MASAYA), hide died about a year later. I have downloaded hide's Psychommunity album that I can upload if anyone wants to listen to some of it; it does have Pink Spider on there.

A lot of this I know, I actually know because I did my final report in high school english on Japanese Rock. (I'll upload it if I can find the file, I would have had a perfect score if I had used the mla citations correctly).

But moving onto pop as Akira mentioned.... and adding onto what was already said :)

Hamasaki Ayumi: was insanely popular especially in the 1998-2000 period. Not a fan of her, but there are many who enjoy her music.
Utada Hikaru: immediately gained popularity with upbeat, catchy songs in 1998, but gradually moved on to her slower, unique style. Passion's (theme song for Kingdom Hearts 2) unarguably her most unique example.
Otsuka Ai: was insanely popular especially in 2003/2004 for the cutesy catchy song "Sakuranbo". She's the most cutesy and happy one of the four, but she does have a serious sense in her. Some recommended cutesy/Happy songs include: Sakuranbo (as mentioned), Happy Days, Frienger, Peach. Her ballads (which are surprisingly very strong despite her cute image/voice) include: Planetarium, Daisukidayo.
Koda Kumi: currently the most popular one out of the four. She sang the theme song "Real Emotion" for Final Fantasy X-2, but didn't make her big break out till 2004 with her cover of "Cutey Honey" that showed her. um. "sexiness". Since then she's had a lot of sluttiness, but has moved on to being more music-selling rather than appearance-selling. Her ballads are very nice. I especially recommend her latest "Ai no Uta", but other good ballads of hers include: Yume no Uta, You.

Others who haven't been mentioned yet:
Angela Aki- usually known for her song "Kiss Me Good-bye" which was used as the theme song for Final Fantasy XII. Surprisingly, however, she didn't make her big breakout until her song "This Love" (used in the anime series Blood+), when people realized how strong her voice is. Always sings while playing a piano. Recommendations: Sakurairo, Kiss Me Good-Bye, HOME.

Ito Yuna- one of my favorite voices. I find her voice absolutely gorgeous, or as MICRO of DEF TECH says, "angel-like." First seen in the movie NANA as REIRA, singing "ENDLESS STORY" under the name of "REIRA starring YUNA ITO". Her strongest ballad since then is undoubtedly "Precious." (Precious PV on YouTube)

And now i'm just going to spit out names cause I'm too lazy to write about them: Crystal Kay, DREAMS COME TRUE, EXILE, CHEMISTRY, Amuro Namie, AI, Nakashima Mika.

Ooh, very nice, thank you for putting the dates to the names. I'm not as into the pop as some others I know, so most of my pop knowledge is second hand.

In addition to all of the above, but especially relating to X Japan: Did any of the other jrock fans utterly flip out upon discovering that X Japan released a NEW track written for release with the Saw IV movie?? I hate the Saw franchise; i've never seen them and don't plan to, but if this new track is being released with the english version of Saw IV... I am almost going to have to go see it, just for the song playing at the end. It includes some previously unreleased track by hide that yoshiki wrote into this song... it sounds amazing, from the 30-second clip on Jrock revolution's site. For almost an hour and a half i hovered between ecstatic and devastated--both that X Japan was releasing new stuff, and that they were actually doing it without hide...

It was a very odd feeling, to be so emotional about this band, when I actually havent even heard every one of thier songs yet.

tl;dr: More band stuff, and freakin' X Japan put out a new song?!?!?!?!
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

kawak17

Postby kawak17 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

Akira wrote:In addition to all of the above, but especially relating to X Japan: Did any of the other jrock fans utterly flip out upon discovering that X Japan released a NEW track written for release with the Saw IV movie?? I hate the Saw franchise; i've never seen them and don't plan to, but if this new track is being released with the english version of Saw IV... I am almost going to have to go see it, just for the song playing at the end. It includes some previously unreleased track by hide that yoshiki wrote into this song... it sounds amazing, from the 30-second clip on Jrock revolution's site. For almost an hour and a half i hovered between ecstatic and devastated--both that X Japan was releasing new stuff, and that they were actually doing it without hide...

It was a very odd feeling, to be so emotional about this band, when I actually havent even heard every one of thier songs yet.

tl;dr: More band stuff, and freakin' X Japan put out a new song?!?!?!?!

Oh me yarm i know. I absolutely didn't believe it at first... I thought it was just some idiot's mistake but ahhh i have no clue what's going on. How can X Japan still be writing music?

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

http://jrockrevolution.com/

Right there. As soon as the page loads, there's a 30-second preview, plus two articles on the matter.

I died. I absolutely died. I still feel really wierd listening to it, it's beautiful and it's totally them, and from what I understand, Yoshiki wrote in one of hide's unreleased guitar tracks... but... It's jsut.....

it's insane.

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

I <3 Gackt. :D

What can I say? He's an amazing singer, composer and general musician, he has a wonderful quirkiness (like me, because I like to tell people that I am 116 years old) and of course he is sexy. What's not to love?

Uh anyway, among others I like are L'Arc~en~Ciel, Dir en Grey, Ayumi Hamasaki, Nightmare - AKFG are pretty good too although they CANNOT sing in English. ><

I also quite like MAXIMUM THE HORMONE's Heisei Strawberry Vibe, if only to laugh at it. I don't know why, I just find it hilariously funny.

I've heard of Miyavi, although I haven't heard much of his stuff. However he is quite well-known so I guess I should listen to some. Besides, he's going to be in SKIN with Gackt. That makes him automatically awesome. :P

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

Akira wrote:@Dir en grey: The band that introduced me to Japanese rock. I confess that I don't like ALL of thier stuff, but there is so much of it that I can afford to pick and choose what I like--6 albums, 2 EPs, a remix album, 22 singles, with thier twenty third due later this month, a TON of PVs, lives, several DVDs, two american tours, several more european tours... They do it all, so often. Kyo is going to kill himself off with overwork. (He's in a race with Yoshiki and Gackt). Love them. Enough said. If you look over thier stuff, I guarantee that you should find at LEAST ONE song that you like. (Personal favorites: Kodou, not to be mixed with the Buck Tick song of the same name, as provided by parka; The Final, Jealous Reverse, Ain't Afraid to Die, and Cage(possiblyNSFW))

No Raison Detre? I would go looking for a YouTube link, but I can't get to YouTube at work.

I have however, seen Dir in the states twice now. Once with the Family Values Tour in 06, and once in February 07 (Rams Head Live). I can guarantee that if you see them on stage, you'll get a performance you'll never forget. Especially if 京 (Kyo) spits his blood on you.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

I haven't been in on the Japanese music scene in about a year or two, so I might be a little out of what's current.

Also, if anyone's at all interested, about half of my international affairs thesis was on Japanese music (the other half was on three different genres of Latin American music). I can link to that if anyone would like; the MP3 samples as well should still be hosted at my old university space.

Anyway, here are some of my favorites:

M-Flo
Absolutely my favorite. They do Japanese hip-hop and rap, and a lot of collaborations with other artists. Some of my favorites are "The Love Bug" with BoA, and "Miss You" with Melody. Also, they're the absolute best at mixing English with Japanese to where both of them make sense.

King Giddra
Japanese rap. Not too many folks outside of Japan listen to J-Rap (on account of the fact that meaning is a lot more important in rap--well, good rap anyway), so they don't seem that popular. But they have some great, thought-provoking songs. One of them, "911", I used in my international affairs thesis in college.

Minmi
She's classified as J-Reggae, though I have no clue why. But she has an incredible voice, and her songs always have a great rhythm and beat to them. Some folks might recognize her as the one who sang the ending theme for Samurai Champloo; my favorite song from her is "The Perfect Vision".

Southern All Stars
Much older band; they were more contemporary with the previous generation (like 1970s-1980s or so). They have a lot of lasting power, though, and most Japanese still know some of their songs like "Itoshii no Erii". My favorite is "Ai no Kotodama".

Dragon Ash
Both Japanese rap and rock. They're a lot of fun to listen to, and have some really great songs. My favorites are "Grateful Days" and "Shizuka na Hibi no Kaidan o"

L'arc-en-Ciel
An amazing J-Rock band that deserves the kind of fame they get. I also got to see them live in Baltimore.

X-Japan
They were the first band I ever got into, so I've always loved their music. "Kurenai" is perhaps my favorite song, although there are plenty of others--including ballads--that I really like. Yoshiki is also ridiculously talented, so it's no surprise that he's still involved in producing music and supporting new bands.

BoA
Regular J-Pop. But, I really like her voice and talent. KF
~Kizyr

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:31 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:Minmi
She's classified as J-Reggae, though I have no clue why. But she has an incredible voice, and her songs always have a great rhythm and beat to them. Some folks might recognize her as the one who sang the ending theme for Samurai Champloo; my favorite song from her is "The Perfect Vision".

I did love the song she did for the ending of Samurai Champloo (for reference, it's "Shiki no Uta"). Is most of her music in the same style as that? If so, I definitely need more.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:Dragon Ash
Both Japanese rap and rock. They're a lot of fun to listen to, and have some really great songs. My favorites are "Grateful Days" and "Shizuka na Hibi no Kaidan o"

BoA
Regular J-Pop. But, I really like her voice and talent. KF

I love dragon ash - Crush the Window and Deep Impact are probably my two favorites. Grateful Days is pretty damn sweet too.

as for BoA - i thought they were korean?

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:I did love the song she did for the ending of Samurai Champloo (for reference, it's "Shiki no Uta"). Is most of her music in the same style as that? If so, I definitely need more.

Yeah, most of it is just as good as the Samurai Champloo ending. The first time I heard her, actually, was when one girl chose The Perfect Vision while we were out at karaoke, and so I decided to listen to the original.

parkaboy wrote:as for BoA - i thought they were korean?

BoA (just one girl, Boa Kwan) is Korean, but she does both J-Pop and K-Pop. I'm only referring to her Japanese songs here. I've heard some of her Korean songs, though, and they sound about the same--well, except for not being able to understand them, that is. KF
~Kizyr

Return to “Music”