Unpopular Musical Opinions

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aleril
Le Rail

Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Aleril » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

I started this on another forum and it seems to be going pretty well there. Here is where you post your opinions about music that make most people tell you you're crazy. (There can be a bit of arguing, just dont make it into a flame war m'kay?)

EDIT: OH GOD SHAME. SO MUCH SHAME. WHAT WAS I THINKING 3 YEARS AGO.
Last edited by Aleril on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:27 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Prole

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Prole » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:10 pm UTC

I agree with the following:

-Aphex Twin is a musical genius.
-There is no best genre.

That is all.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

Of course that only counts for young people. Those are probably popular opinions to people over 50.

Saying that Green Day is good and punk isn't that unpopular.

Your opinion of Pantera I would consider the "popular" one, when I define "popular" as meaning "the opposite of classical". Pantera's classical value is that they were a return to good ol' basic aggressive metal after grunge was all about staring at your shoes and/or playing three chords repeatedly (not that I don't like grunge). People who are old enough to have seen grunge come up and fall down, and at the time gave a damn kind of know what I'm talking about.
From Pantera's wiki:
The band members take pride in what they perceive to be an uncompromising career in which they never "sold out" or gave into trends. This is most noticeably highlighted in the themes and title of The Great Southern Trendkill. On Pantera's official Web site, Anselmo puts it in his own words:

We've survived every fucking trend. Heavy metal, grunge metal, funk metal, rap metal – and we're still here. We put everyone on notice that we don't fuck around. Our fans know we're true right down to the fucking core.

Similarly, the die-hard attitude of "We'll Grind That Axe For a Long Time" (from Reinventing the Steel) is, according to Anselmo, "in a way, our motto."

But the popular perception of Pantera is that they're just some brainless heshers who don't do anything fancy and emo like you like.

American Idiot is a near-perfect album

I'd say that that's also popular, at least with whities. Apparently people like it: there are 877 pages of comments here last I checked. Plus it got on the radio a year or whatever ago. DJ's all had hardons for it. Compare with Bach's St. Matthew's Passion. Two pages, even though it's like a big deal.

I'd give you some of my opinions but uh I don't think anyone asked for them.
хлэб и Воля

pr1mu5

Postby pr1mu5 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

Primus Sucks.

:wink:

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

- I like rap
- I like country

Those two statements tend to be the most unpopular whenever I say them.

Isn't there a 4chan rule regarding music threads that mentions this? KF
~Kizyr

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

Responses...

Pantera isn't all the same, but still a little overrated.
Slayer does suck much ass.
American Idiot is an acceptable album.

Most of my unpopular musical opinions are hard to sum up, but:

All current music classified as "metal" is not metal, and in fact frenches donkey balls.

pr1mu5

Postby pr1mu5 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:All current music classified as "metal" is not metal, and in fact frenches donkey balls.

Check out Dethklok's new Metalocalypse album. It is totally sweet.

for a cartoon deathmetal band

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

I saw that for the first time last night :) It's pretty good.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Puccini sucks ass.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

I don't understand the point of this thread, it seems stupid. Mush like my post, actually. Hmm.

I like Nelly Furtado....while this is widely recognised as not something which should be a cause for concern...among some people with whom I frequently discuss music, it seems this is akin to admitting a fetish for consuming the internal organs of unborn babies.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:-There is no best genre.

True, but there are worst genres.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:-No matter how talented the musician, Stairway sucks.

Are you including Led Zepplin in that?

Also, you should look up Richard Cheese.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:-Punk is not dead, just expanding to the needs of people.

OK, I have been listening to loads of post-punk recently. 'Pink Flag' (by Wire) was released in 77! PUNK IS DEAD, get over it. Punk got absorbed by mainstream culture. So anything that now claims to be punk is probably as far from punk as it could get.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:All current music classified as "metal" is not metal, and in fact frenches donkey balls.

Don't you metal on the meddle of my metal, metal.

CaraInFrames wrote:I like Nelly Furtado....while this is widely recognised as not something which should be a cause for concern...among some people with whom I frequently discuss music, it seems this is akin to admitting a fetish for consuming the internal organs of unborn babies.

Or a fetish for Nelly Furtado? (!)

no-genius wrote:OK, I have been listening to loads of post-punk recently. 'Pink Flag' (by Wire) was released in 77! PUNK IS DEAD, get over it. Punk got absorbed by mainstream culture. So anything that now claims to be punk is probably as far from punk as it could get.

So what? Let 'em get all riled dawg they're likely just kids who don't know nothin. Don't even know a thing. Around here though (Erie PA), yeah you are kind of a tool if you say you're a punk because everyone knows you want to be a white collar software engineer, etc.
хлэб и Воля

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

This is probably going to be very unpopular here... but American Idol is a great phenomenon in the music world, because it brings out some of the best unknown voices today. It's reintroducing the merits of the strong, passionate voice into a world of overproduced pop performed by mediocre "singers."

If a band is good it's generally going to be or become well-known, so no band should be put down for being popular unless the music changed or was already crap when they became famous.

Albums tend to get better, not worse, as a band matures. I almost always like the newer albums of any band better than their older albums, once I've listened to all of them enough times to become familiar with them. Exceptions include OK Go (the first album was best) and Death Cab for Cutie (Transatlanticism can't be beat). But generally they'll find their sound later on.

Stemming from that, sometimes when a good band drastically changes its sound, it gets WAY better. Example: Brand New. Oh man, their newest album is a million times better than their earlier ones.

Artists who don't write their own music are still good and respectable if they perform it well. Covers also tend to be better than originals.

The Garden State soundtrack is not one bit overrated.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

xooll

Postby xooll » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:56 pm UTC

-The Beatles are nothing special. They have a couple of good songs and a lot of other songs.
-Black Sabbath got good when they had Dio singing.
-Any other band would probably also be improved by the addition of Dio.
-Dio should be cloned so that when he dies there will still be a copy.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

Hm. I agree with about half of the above said, especially in the first post. I'm not sure if these views are unpopular. I think they are less popular than the majority... but still are held by many, many people. Unpopular to me would be: "Backstreet Boys had some good tunes for a boy band".

At the moment i'm still waiting for someone to agree with me on "Dj Sharpnel is a musical genius". I apologize for talking about them so much, but I seriously cannot get over how good they are.

Anyways my thoughts:

- Pendulum seems to be the only Drum and Bass artist that stands out noticeably. (Dance wise, otherwise Apex Twin is included, but keep in mind Aphex Twin only does some D&B.)

- Trance doesn't seem as good as it used to be just merely 2-3 years ago.

- *What in the WORLD* happened to the underground progressive house scene!? ;___;

- Most anything American electronic music will never compare to artists in Germany, UK, Japan, or anywhere else. (Is Aphex American?)

- I think if we're looking at the whole timeline of rock, it's progressively getting worse. Like nothing in it's own genre will probably be as good as the first people to venture there and so forth.

- I think money ends up making a band/artist worse in the end (for most)

- The term DJ is an overused term for people who want to boost themselves in talent. Just like the word hacker.

- I will argue that electronic music tends to be better overall then anything non electronic if we look at how it is *now*.

EDIT:
xooll wrote:-The Beatles are nothing special. They have a couple of good songs and a lot of other songs.

That goes for like nearly every artist i can think of. This is a major reason why i argue Sharpnel is F*cking awesome cause of their 300 song i love about 200 of them. The rest was ok to interesting. I dare any artist to top that over. EVEN aphex has more music than Sharpnel but only 1/5 is *really* good. I can only think of 30-50 songs that stand out a *lot* versus Shaprnel's 200.
Last edited by Dark Ragnarok on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:This is probably going to be very unpopular here... but American Idol is a great phenomenon in the music world, because it brings out some of the best unknown voices today. It's reintroducing the merits of the strong, passionate voice into a world of overproduced pop performed by mediocre "singers."

So now we have overproduced pop performed by great singers... it still sucks.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:(Is Aphex American?)

No, he is Cornish :P

TBH, Pixies must be the best band, they only had 4 proper albums, but they were all good.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:18 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
Dark Ragnarok wrote:(Is Aphex American?)

No, he is Cornish :P

TBH, Pixies must be the best band, they only had 4 proper albums, but they were all good.

Clutch had eight albums, and they were all good. Does that make them better?

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 pm UTC

-Country stopped being decent around 2003 -- now it all sounds exactly like the stuff you hear on the pop music radio station
-Christian music is the exact same line spewed out a million times and it is boring
-Fall Out Boy is NOT emo
-Ian MacKaye is arguably one of the most influential punk, DIY artists
-Punk is not dead
-Every shitty goth band can be blamed on The Cure, just as every shitty rock band can be blamed on The Beatles
-Screamo, when done properly, is amazing (see Daitro)
-Rap still produces good music, just none of it is on the radio
-Mosh pits are fun but not for the faint of heart
-Slam dance pits, on the other hand, are just plain stupid
-Despite how amazing some of the bands signed to Vagrant Records are, Rich Egan is still a fucking asshole

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

Holy Epic Post, Batman!
Aleril wrote:-Pantera is way, WAY over rated, all of their stuff is all the same.

Yes, way overrated. No, not all the same stuff. Remember, they used to be glam. They sucked then, too.
-So is Slayer
Arguable.
-Bjork needs her vocal cords cut out.
Am I alone in enjoying her stuff?
-Screamo is like Rap. It isnt music, just ear rape.
Of course it is music. There is plenty of excellent rap out there, too.
-No matter how talented the musician, Stairway sucks.
I humbly beg to differ...
-Anyone who was in a Hair Metal band should be shot.
...why?
pr1mu5 wrote:Primus Sucks. :wink:

I love you :D
Oh..MJ, how can you say that? Just 'cos you don't love devourment? My response to that is there is a lot of flat out brilliant metal that is being written and recorded nowadays. It certainly never makes an appearance on the radio, but it's definitely worth looking into.
pr1mu5 wrote:Check out Dethklok's new Metalocalypse album. It is totally sweet.
Dethklok is not a metal band.
Pesto wrote:Puccini sucks ass.
Hehehehe, I used to have the Tchaikovsky quote "Verdi is the Puccini of Music" as my email signature :P
Fucking hopeless.
lanicita wrote:If a band is good it's generally going to be or become well-known, so no band should be put down for being popular unless the music changed or was already crap when they became famous.
Agreed
Albums tend to get better, not worse, as a band matures.
Only true if the band actually matures. Often bands run out of ideas, or stagnate, or hurry off albums 'just like the last one'. So it's not true, as a rule, that later albums are better. But sometimes bands do mature, and then the later albums are wonderful. My favourite Depeche Mode album is 'playing the angel', which came out only 3 years ago, maybe?
Stemming from that, sometimes when a good band drastically changes its sound, it gets WAY better.
Generally, yes. :D
Artists who don't write their own music are still good and respectable if they perform it well.
Absolutely. Yo-Yo Ma, for example, never writes anything. :) But yeah, I have no snobbery towards people who do'nt write their own music, provided that the music that they are performing is not shit.
Covers also tend to be better than originals.
Covers are sometimes better than the originals, but i think the trend generally goes the other way.
The Garden State soundtrack is not one bit overrated.
It is very good. but the movie was utter shite, however. :)
xooll wrote:-Black Sabbath got good when they had Dio singing.
They were great before Dio. You just had to ignore the singer, that's all :P
-Any other band would probably also be improved by the addition of Dio.
Of course. I am holding out for a collaboration with portishead :P
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:00 am UTC

"Covers tend to be better than originals" is without a doubt the most ridiculous assertion in this entire thread thusfar. It's far too epically general in its scope to be made with any kind of conviction. I mean, really? Do you mean commercially successful covers? Covers that are plastered all over youtube? Covers which achieve critical acclaim? Covers which are better known than the original versions themselves? I'm sorry if I'm being obtuse here, but I can't get my head around this statement.

Ah, and I love Bjork, LOVE.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:22 am UTC

Unpopular Musical Opinions, eh?

Jello Biafra is the greatest singer, male or female. Fuck you for disagreeing. :)

Taken as a whole, the music industry as a whole has produced shit over the last ten years. All of it. Every single fucking album, complete shit. I love Clutch, but even their recent albums should be "Pretty good."... comparatively speaking, their latest albums have been fucking awesome. Another case is that arguably the most rocking album to be release this year is from a ]url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dethalbum]cartoon[/url].

Singers are overrated. Every last one of them. Given a vocal coach, anyone with a somewhat similar voice could replace the singer of any band and no one would notice. Anyone who makes a living off singing.. not writing, not producing, not even bothering to mix their own stuff.. just singing whatever is shoved in front of them.. is a soulless hack.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:29 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Jello Biafra is the greatest singer, male or female. Fuck you for disagreeing. :)

I <3 Jello, no joke.

And yet my guy friends mercilessly tease me that he sounds like the guy from Homestar Runner. :(

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:41 am UTC

Which guy? Homestar? Jello's got a much higher voice.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:06 am UTC

I seem to be the only one out of my group of friends who actually enjoys Kelly Clarkson. I think she has an awesome voice, and a lot of talent.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:33 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Which guy? Homestar? Jello's got a much higher voice.

I don't know!

I think they are all insane, is the thing.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:56 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote:
-Bjork needs her vocal cords cut out.
Am I alone in enjoying her stuff?

I think her sales, and the fact that this is an 'unpopular music opinions' thread, would suggest not ;)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:57 am UTC

-Christian music is the exact same line spewed out a million times and it is boring

You mean CCM. I hate CCM, not the least because many a song has been burned into my brain after years and years of being in youth groups because praise&worship leaders always pick the same goddamn songs. Also, it's really no different from random secular pop except the lyrics are different.

Now, hymns. Hymns are awesome, at least some of them.

Showtunes are win.

Now for something really unpopular (and specific) -

I would enjoy El Tango De Roxanne so much better without that annoying guy singing in the foreground. What's his name? Ewan something? It's totally all about that gravelly-voiced dude in the beginning.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:01 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:

You mean CCM. I hate CCM, not the least because many a song has been burned into my brain after years and years of being in youth groups because praise&worship leaders always pick the same goddamn songs. Also, it's really no different from random secular pop except the lyrics are different.

Now, hymns. Hymns are awesome, at least some of them.

Showtunes are win.

Now for something really unpopular (and specific) -

I would enjoy El Tango De Roxanne so much better without that annoying guy singing in the foreground. What's his name? Ewan something? It's totally all about that gravelly-voiced dude in the beginning.

No, I mean. All Christian music. It is the same thing.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:04 am UTC

*shrug* Meh. I hardly ever pay attention to lyrics (in any genre) so I tend to focus on musical style, and I do like some of the old hymns.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:27 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Singers are overrated. Every last one of them. Given a vocal coach, anyone with a somewhat similar voice could replace the singer of any band and no one would notice.

So Myles Kennedy, with a tremendous four-octave range and the amazing ability of a white boy able to cover black artists and pull it off respectfully... I could do that, with a vocal coach?

Really?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:56 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote:
-No matter how talented the musician, Stairway sucks.
I humbly beg to differ...

Damn.

You win. That is just so much awesome.

yellie

Postby yellie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 am UTC

xooll wrote:-The Beatles are nothing special. They have a couple of good songs and a lot of other songs.

To add to this completely true statement:
They were all mediocre singers, and I find that anyone who covers their songs does an infinitely better job.

- I love Kelly Clarkson; she's cool, she's got an incredible voice and she's a good role model for young girls.
- The X-Factor is awesome, I don't care what anyone says. (Rhydian and Leon for the motherfuckin' win)
- McFLY are talented musicians.
- Baroque Pop is the best genre ever.
- Pretty much everything lanicita said.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:02 am UTC

I don't think many can hold a candle to Lennon on resonance, regardless of quality of voicework. I doubt anyone would suggest that the Beatles were particularly remarkable singers, though.

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:41 am UTC

The Arctic Monkeys are totally rubbish. I really can't see what the big deal is, they sound like a hundred other bands out there from the north of the UK.
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:07 pm UTC

Okay, first thing is that punk is *definitely* not dead. My brothers band is punk, not pop punk or anything, similar style to the original old punk and thats enough evidence for me, although there is alot more.

Next up is that the beatles are fucking annoying and I never want to listen to them again.

It appears to be an unpopular opinion that anything labeled emo can be good, but I find it a relief when an emo song comes on the radio at work, just because the rest is so goddamn fucking much worse.

And there is a best genre, it is symphonic metal with an opera singer and piano in there somewhere. Unfortunately only one band I know of fits into that category, and they arent quite my favourite band anyway. But then, even fitting one of those three things while being a rock song usually indicates pretty high level awesomeness.

I used to think that some covers were better than the originals, before I went back and listened to the originals and realised I was totally wrong, with only a couple of exceptions (like that metal cover of whatever britney spears song is way better than the original, and the lounge music version of rancid amputation too)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:32 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Okay, first thing is that punk is *definitely* not dead. My brothers band is punk, not pop punk or anything, similar style to the original old punk and thats enough evidence for me, although there is alot more.

Punk died 30 years ago. I don't know what they are, but they aren't punk.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

I dont think it's worth trying to convince you anyway cause you seem fairly sure, but it's funny how your opinion is unpopular even in the unpopular musical opinions thread. :mrgreen:
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Return to “Music”