Unpopular Musical Opinions

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:50 am UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:There is something of worth - something to be gained - in every single genre.

/Thread.

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:38 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I honestly don't get that thing about Coldplay being "rip-offs". They copy the style of other bands, but what band doesn't do that at all, be it intentionally or not?
...etc.

It's just one of the things people use to distance themselves more from an "uncool" band, because just saying "I don't like their music" isn't enough for some people. They also have to be labeled as uncreative, rip-offs...and of course, gay. Oddly, they're still really popular; but no, that can't be because their music doesn't suck, it must be because all those people are "gay." [/sarcasm]

"Overproduced" was a popular compliant about their new album because it was a lot harder to pass it off as "boring" or "a rip-off" than their earlier stuff. Given what Various Varieties said above, those people apparently didn't actually know what that word meant. And neither did I. :P

Also, tuneless noise could conceivably be good in its own way, but I don't think something can count as music if it's tuneless.

clintonius wrote:Fuck Led Zeppelin. I've never understood. "Immigrant Song?" The fuck? Also, you sound like a wailing jackass.

And Radiohead is very possibly the best band on earth. If you don't like Thom Yorke's voice you don't like music.

Led Zeppelin does have a few kinda-OK songs, but other than that, I agree on that point. Most of the time it's just weird, badly sung lyrics and overly chaotic instrumentals. I mean, one of their songs is a 10+ minute drum solo with no patterns whatsoever.

Though I have to admit, your statement about Thom Yorke's voice scares me. But not as much as that guy's voice.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:55 am UTC

guyy wrote:I don't think something can count as music if it's tuneless.
I would very strongly disagree.

drop

Postby drop » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

* Grindcore sucks. Not the music - the vocals. WTF is the screaming supposed to be? It doesn't sound manly, it dosen't sound scary, it sounds pathetic - big (sweating) guys screaming like a little girls... NO! It also applies to many hardcore bands, whose vocals are very hard to be understood, the songs last one minute, because the vocalist cant scream any longer.. and there is no melody at all; just random gibberish,
* Hardcore dancing is simply retarded. Pogo is ok, but the "invisible karate kids" deserve a beating.
* Metallica sucks. I have no idea why a lot of people listen to them. Most of these people say that Metallica's music has a lot of power. Listen to Blood for Blood - their music has a lot of power. (e.g. the songs "Livin in exile" or "Ain't like you"; warning - the texts are kinda emo though if you look at them from a deeper perspective).
* I like the last Green Day album, everyone seems to hate it for some reason. Boulevard of broken dreams is a fantastic song.
* Americana was the greatest Offspring album (someone has already stated that).
* A lot of noisecore is not music at all, but just random, poorly selected sounds. Same goes to some "mash-ups" - 15 second samples of some other songs mixed a random. I heard that some people can dance to it; interesting.
* What the hell is wrong with speedcore. It's supposed to be quick, but should still have some sort of a melody. Something resembling a pneumatic drill is not music.
(I secretly hope that someone will remix a song caled "go turtles" from a NES game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Manhattan Project JUST TO SHOW THEM)
* Prince was a great artist. So great that I cant remember a single of his songs. The 2nd band coming to mind are the Rolling Stones - I only remember Satisfaction (did they have any other hit?).
* Spice girls were good.
* Is there some sort of a contest between the metal bands, concerning the stupidest pseudo-satanic name? If I ever had to start a band, I'd call it Necroanal Vomitatorium, this sounds satanic and awesome.
* The opera vocals in power metal (and to some degree in Iron maiden : /) are baaaaaad.
* A lot of classical music is garbage - only the good tracks are broadcasted (80% of everything is shit, next 19% is piss.. for that matter).
* [rant]They never say the names of the composers/"tracks" when playing classical music, so I dont know what I am looking for [/rant]

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium.

There. I said it. I feel better.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

Cherry Kiss wrote:I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium. I can't stand Trivium.

There. I said it. I feel better.
Er... how is this an unpopular opinion?

Trivium are awful. I know people who like EVERYTHING about the genre. and they admit that Trivium are a disgrace.

The only good thing about them are the solos, which I admit are pretty cool. Everything must die though.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:50 am UTC

drop wrote:* A lot of classical music is garbage - only the good tracks are broadcasted (80% of everything is shit, next 19% is piss.. for that matter).

Not true at all, in my experience... radio intentionally only broadcasts classical pieces that are extremely boring. When was the last time you heard the Rite of Spring, Josquin's Miserere, or even one of Mozart's "Haydn" quartets on the radio? It's all Corelli and early Haydn--as bland as they can make it.

(This is, of course, a bit of an exaggeration--things like Tchaik 6 and Mendelssohn's violin concerto make it on air often enough--but so much of what's interesting out there will NEVER fit on the radio.)

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:58 am UTC

among my friends, saying that you hate protest the hero will get you killed. I hate that band

In fact, I hate any band that includes screaming as a form of "lyrics"
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:15 am UTC

drop wrote:* Americana was the greatest Offspring album (someone has already stated that).
* A lot of noisecore is not music at all, but just random, poorly selected sounds. Same goes to some "mash-ups" - 15 second samples of some other songs mixed a random. I heard that some people can dance to it; interesting.
* What the hell is wrong with speedcore. It's supposed to be quick, but should still have some sort of a melody. Something resembling a pneumatic drill is not music.
(I secretly hope that someone will remix a song caled "go turtles" from a NES game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Manhattan Project JUST TO SHOW THEM)

The ignorance is strong in this one.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:51 am UTC

drop wrote:* Prince was a great artist. So great that I cant remember a single of his songs. The 2nd band coming to mind are the Rolling Stones - I only remember Satisfaction (did they have any other hit?).

Purple Rain
Party like it's 1999
... alright, that's all I know of Prince off the top of my head.

Stones had Paint It Black, Sympathy for the Devil, Get Off of My Cloud, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Miss You, and Mother's Little Helper. And probably others songs I simply don't know because I'm not really a fan of them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

guyy

Postby guyy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:22 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
guyy wrote:I don't think something can count as music if it's tuneless.
I would very strongly disagree.

Well, the dictionary definition of music is "the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity" or more shortly "vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony." From that, it looks like tuneless sounds technically can't be music in the usual sense, though they could still be a form of art. But then, most people don't go by the standard restrictions of what "music" means, so I guess this is one of my unpopular opinions.

So:
- A sound has to have some sort of organization and set of patterns, or it just isn't music at all.

drop wrote:Boulevard of broken dreams is a fantastic song.

Wait, does everyone hate that now? Did they all decide it's too "emo" or something?
...And to clarify, I do agree with the quote.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:45 am UTC

guyy wrote:So:
- A sound has to have some sort of organization and set of patterns, or it just isn't music at all.

And knowing that "organization" and "patterns" are rigorously subjective, there's no point in trying to determine what is not music. Sounds of cars stuck in a lengthy traffic jam - engines and honks and angry yelling - have "patterns", so whether it's music or not depends on someone deciding it is such.

I frankly don't see what's so interesting about calling this, this and that "not music". Is a form of art really more cool when it's controlled, predictable, strict and formal?

guyy

Postby guyy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:12 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Is a form of art really more cool when it's controlled, predictable, strict and formal?

No. But music doesn't have to be any of that; there just needs to be something about it distinguishing it from, say, the sound of a fan or a humming computer, because otherwise the word "music" would be the same as the word "sound." There must be sounds that aren't music; what counts as music depends on your own definition of it, but some things have to get called "not music" or a traffic jam really would be music.

For me, music has to have something resembling melodies and no excessive dissonance, which rules out traffic jams as well as a lot of bands actually trying to make music, or something like it. The difference between sounds and music is all in our heads anyway, so music vs. noise is bound to be subjective. I can't stand people playing bizarre random sounds and trying to tell me it's music; so I just tell them it's not. :P

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Music never got better than J.S. Bach. His St. Matthew's Passion is the single best choral work ever written.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Cherry Kiss

Postby Cherry Kiss » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:57 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
drop wrote:* Prince was a great artist. So great that I cant remember a single of his songs. The 2nd band coming to mind are the Rolling Stones - I only remember Satisfaction (did they have any other hit?).

Purple Rain
Party like it's 1999

Stones had Paint It Black, Sympathy for the Devil, Get Off of My Cloud, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Miss You, and Mother's Little Helper. And probably others songs I simply don't know because I'm not really a fan of them.

Prince:
Little Red Corvette
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
Kiss
And the song is called 1999. No need for the "party like it's"

Stones:
Honkey Tonk Woman
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Only Rock and Roll
Beast of Burden

Wow, I can't believe I know all of this.
And end up on your own.

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 am UTC

Trivium are awful. I know people who like EVERYTHING about the genre. and they admit that Trivium are a disgrace.

They might suck, but I quite like Shogun. A friend played it to me and it is much better than their previous work.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

Unbeknown

Postby Unbeknown » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

Deep Breath...

The Stooges, The Velvet Underground and The MC5 were the best things to come out of the 60's. Fuck The Beatles. Doubly Fuck Clapton.

Foo Fighters are utterly utterly bland and the only reason anyone cares about them is cause Dave Grohl was in Nirvana- get back behind the kit where you belong. Take for example, "The Pretender" from the newest Foo Fighters album- notice the similarity to "Monkey Wrench" from The Colour and The Shape- Jesus, recycling is meant for saving the planet, not for unnecessarily prolonging the career of a side project.

Queens of The Stone Age are the best rock band of the last 20 years.

The Bends is a better album than OK Computer.

Oasis are thoroughly overrated (Whats the Story) Morning Glory? is generally considered their best album but it is nothing more than a solid album- some decent songs, some absolute rubbish- Champagne Supernova is about two minutes worth of song dragged out to about nine or something silly. Not to mention Liam can't sing- through the mouth, not the nose you stupid, coke addled twat.

The Kooks are probably the worst band in existence.Sample Lyrics

An do you wanna
Do you wanna
Do you wanna make love to me
I know you wanna
I know you wanna
I know you wanna make love to me

Need I say more?

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

guyy wrote:But music doesn't have to be any of that; there just needs to be something about it distinguishing it from, say, the sound of a fan or a humming computer, because otherwise the word "music" would be the same as the word "sound." There must be sounds that aren't music; what counts as music depends on your own definition of it, but some things have to get called "not music" or a traffic jam really would be music.

The problem is that you're thinking of a 1 to 1 relationship between music and sound, and you forget that music is an art form, thus it depends on the artist. The fact that a bunch of sound is "music" is due to the fact that there is an artist trying to express something with it. All the drivers in the cars on a traffic jam are most likely not trying to create a musical composition, but if I record those sounds and put them out as a representation of organised disorganisation or something like that, what kind of art form would that be? You may not be interested in listening to it, but that doesn't really mean anything, does it? If I decided Pachelbel's Canon in D is "not music", what difference would it make?

I think music is closely related to photography. Images are out there everywhere, in every shape, kind and form, but they're not "photography" if nobody photographs them; and once somebody does, it's photography. Period. No questions asked, no doubts raised. Music is the sonic equivalent. The fact that people create abstractions (notes) to represent certain frequencies, the fact that people manufacture instruments to produce specific tibres, the fact that people create and direct orchestras to perform specific compositions doesn't make those things necessary; it's merely a consequence of the fact that people tend to like things with recognisable patterns, just like people are more likely to recognise the photograph of a tree than that of a close-up of a speck of dust. But if you're using art to solidify people's limited perceptions instead of trying to expand them, then why bother? Music is an infinite space to be explored, not a tiny little box to be tightened and fastened until nothing goes into it and nothing comes out of it. Art exists to break barriers and expand our minds. Every attempt is inherently flawed and incomplete, but that's exactly the interesting thing about being human, correct?

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

I hate the Beatles.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

Unbeknown wrote:Oasis are thoroughly overrated (Whats the Story) Morning Glory? is generally considered their best album but it is nothing more than a solid album- some decent songs, some absolute rubbish- Champagne Supernova is about two minutes worth of song dragged out to about nine or something silly. Not to mention Liam can't sing- through the mouth, not the nose you stupid, coke addled twat.

Definitely Maybe is their best album, but (WTS)MG? still has some fantastic moments. "Don't Look Back on Anger" still gives me a tingle down the spine, and "Champagne Supernova" is easily their best attempt at creating a signature "Hey Jude"-style epic anthem. (On Be Here Now, they made every song that length - now that was coke-addled, although I do think "All Around the World" and "D'You Know What I Mean" succeed in having a certain grandeur, despite being the very definition of your comment about short songs being dragged out to ridiculous length.)

In general, I do prefer Noel's singing to Liam's. (Well, except for the weird effects he put on his vocals on "Get Off Your High Horse Lady" on their new album...)

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

McCaber wrote:Music never got better than J.S. Bach. His St. Matthew's Passion is the single best choral work ever written.
You are wrong. The single best choral work ever written is the B Minor Mass.

However, the first sentence of your post is entirely correct.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Minor Threat are no where near the fantastic punk band people claim them to be.

Syd Barret > David Gilmour

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Oflick wrote:Minor Threat are no where near the fantastic punk band people claim them to be.

it's not really about how good minor threat is/was, it's about how they influenced people and changed the ideas and ways of underground music forever. there's a great book called "our band could be your life" that explains how minor threat, and a bunch of other influential bands changed the underbelly of music forever.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:50 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:Definitely Maybe is their best album, but (WTS)MG? still has some fantastic moments.

I think Definitely Maybe would have been far better if the first ten songs were a little more than solid bricks of noise. I don't get the point of putting out ten songs in a row that sound so saturated and padded to the point of driving the listener to sonic numbness. In the second album, they seemed a little more convinced of how much dynamics is necessary in a rock album. Loud is only loud when there's quietness for contrast, isn't it?

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

i STRIVE for sonic numbness!
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

guyy wrote:No. But music doesn't have to be any of that; there just needs to be something about it distinguishing it from, say, the sound of a fan or a humming computer, because otherwise the word "music" would be the same as the word "sound." There must be sounds that aren't music; what counts as music depends on your own definition of it, but some things have to get called "not music" or a traffic jam really would be music.

For me, music has to have something resembling melodies and no excessive dissonance, which rules out traffic jams as well as a lot of bands actually trying to make music, or something like it. The difference between sounds and music is all in our heads anyway, so music vs. noise is bound to be subjective. I can't stand people playing bizarre random sounds and trying to tell me it's music; so I just tell them it's not. :P

Didn't we learn from John Cage that music is a way of listening, not a way of composing?

As for your second paragraph: what counts as "excessive dissonance"? What exactly is dissonance, anyway? (Most people I know simply use it to mean "anything that sounds unpleasant". I suggest "cacophony" as a better term there.)

I mean, Schoenberg is radically dissonant, but I think no one would deny that he composed music. (Many, sure, will argue that he composed awful music, but to call Moses und Aron "not music" is simply being hyperbolic.) Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Bartok, and so on ad infinitum use dissonance liberally, and their music is some of the most exquisite stuff out there. Besides, what about Ligeti's Atmospheres, used by Kubrick in 2001--is that not music? Or Penderecki's "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima," used in Children of Men? Both exceedingly dissonant and tuneless by any standard, but it would be pretty hard to argue that they're not music.

And what of melodies, anyhow? I'd hardly call Phil Glass's endlessly repeating arpeggios a "melody", though lots of people love what he writes. What about various forms of percussion music--drumlines, many forms of West African dance, a piece like Ionisation by Edgard Varese? Those don't even have pitches and they're clearly still music.

This really isn't an easy issue. But I do think that Cage had it right: music is in the listening, not in the sound. Have you ever turned off the television to listen to a thunderstorm? Pretty close to listening to music, I think--and far more beautiful than many things you might hear, like Andrew Lloyd Webber. Conversely, if you have the opening of Beethoven 5 as your ringtone, that's not music, it's a telephone.

guyy

Postby guyy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:29 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:The problem is that you're thinking of a 1 to 1 relationship between music and sound, and you forget that music is an art form, thus it depends on the artist. The fact that a bunch of sound is "music" is due to the fact that there is an artist trying to express something with it. All the drivers in the cars on a traffic jam are most likely not trying to create a musical composition, but if I record those sounds and put them out as a representation of organised disorganisation or something like that, what kind of art form would that be? You may not be interested in listening to it, but that doesn't really mean anything, does it? If I decided Pachelbel's Canon in D is "not music", what difference would it make?

[...]Art exists to break barriers and expand our minds. Every attempt is inherently flawed and incomplete, but that's exactly the interesting thing about being human, correct?

Hopefully I didn't leave out something important; that whole post is a bit long to quote. Anyway...

That's just it, though: music is an art form, a specific type of art. "Sonic art" or something like that really could be anything a human created using sounds. But music is a specific type of "sonic art." Would it make sense to call a painting "sonic art?" Obviously not; it doesn't use sound at all. In the same sense, it's illogical to call a sound music if it has none of the characteristics of music. No sound, not "sonic art;" no patterns of melodies or anything like that, not music. Lacking these things doesn't make a sound bad or unartistic or stupid or anything like that; it just makes the sound "not music." And, honestly, if someone wanted to do something as avant-garde as recording a traffic jam for artistic purposes, they'd probably love to give it a new and unique name like "sonic art."

Art may exist to break barriers, but like it or not, language exists partly to create barriers; otherwise, we'd have no way to separate one thing from another.

Edit: Looking at some other posts, like the one above this one, apparently "not music" is automatically taken as an insult (to the sound); but like I just said, I don't mean it that way, and it doesn't even make sense to take it that way. Denying something a certain name or title can't detract from its quality.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:23 am UTC

I think music is an apt description of "sonic art." A painting is still a painting, whether it's Van Gogh or Pollock. A sculpture is still a sculpture, whether it's Michelangelo or Duchamp. I see no reason that music can't be concrete or abstract as well, especially given how much certain bands (Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, etc.) manage to blend together clear and catchy melodies with abstract and dissonant noise, or how certain composers (Schoenberg, Webern, etc.) manage to compose pieces that are otherwise conventional except for their atonal melodies. There's such a broad continuum between the two that it doesn't seem possible, let alone necessary, to draw the line at which point something ceases to be music, and starts to be "sonic art."

Cherry Kiss

Postby Cherry Kiss » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

I think that Jesse Leach was a MUCH better singer that Howard Jones.
Killswitch will never be the same. Why the hell would you cover "Holy Diver"? Is your brain malfunctioning?
Killswitch Engage - "My Last Serenade"
That is true Killswitch.
And end up on your own.

monkandmovies13

Re: Most ridiculous music myth you ever heard

Postby monkandmovies13 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:42 am UTC

The myth that Hotel California is a good song.

Mous

Postby Mous » Thu May 28, 2009 12:39 am UTC

Come on, that one's so cliche anymore. Anymore, it's more surprising when a satanist actually does listen to metal, instead of crap gothic music.
Also, I totally would follow Varg's footsteps and burn down churches. But only if I lived in Norway, because seriously, the guy killed someone and burned down churches and all he got was 16 years in a low security prison which let him out every month to see his family.

Er...
I listen to other things besides black metal... I swear...

Myth: Ska is not dead.
Ska is totally dead. All the new ska bands since RBF and Catch 22/Streetlight sold out suck (try to compare Operation Ivy to the Aquabats. There is no comparison). And all the fans of ska suck. They're all just half assed emo punks and computer/band nerds. And idiots who confuse ska and techno (which is terrible).
or rather, ska should be dead but some dumbasses insist on keeping it a vegetable on life support.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Blokey

Most ridiculous music myth you ever heard

Postby Blokey » Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 am UTC

Mous wrote:techno (which is terrible).

Come on, that one's so cliche anymore.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

monkandmovies13

Postby monkandmovies13 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:52 am UTC

CueBall wrote:
monkandmovies13 wrote:The myth that Hotel California is a good song.

You're a bad person.

There are a lot of us. You'd be surprised. One day the world will praise us for our superior eardrums.

Mous

Postby Mous » Thu May 28, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Blokey wrote:
Mous wrote:techno (which is terrible).
Come on, that one's so cliche anymore.
I think you're missing half the definition. A cliche is something that's been said so often, it loses its meaning.

Techno = terrible still holds true, and always will no matter how often it's said.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu May 28, 2009 10:03 am UTC

Myth: your opinion on a genre matters
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

mdx_stargoliath

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Thu May 28, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

Hey I like Metallica and I hope that is the most unpopular statement in here,
go ahead...

Martyr me!

and I was reading the earlier post and I have to say that I like Kelly Clarkson...I think she is actually very talented now I really havent listened to a lot of her stuff and dont have any of her music just. I just mostly what I hear on occasion sounds pretty nice.

As for American Idol...all it does is it creates a five minutes of fame scenario for many of the stars anyway...How many winners beside a select few as the one aforementioned above honestly are still taht popular today. American Idol is bleh!!
Last edited by mdx_stargoliath on Thu May 28, 2009 4:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Thu May 28, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

Given the amount of hate leveled at them, the fact that I really do think the beatles were that important probably counts as an unpopular opinion. It's not because of quality, but because of historical significance. Listen to rock and roll music from before the Beatles. I'm talking fifties here. Listen to a lot of it. Then listen to rock and roll music from after the Beatles hit it big. Generally you want stuff contemporaneous with their early and middle periods (i.e. pre-Sergeant Pepper). They are very different styles of music, as you will see. You may not find the Beatles particularly interesting as modern listeners, but they really did a lot. It's like saying that Tolkein is cliche. This is false. Tolkien was original at the time, but his scads of imitators are cliche. The same holds for the Beatles.
Last edited by Guy_At_A_Keyboard on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Fri May 29, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Mous wrote:Myth: Ska is not dead.
Ska is totally dead. All the new ska bands since RBF and Catch 22/Streetlight sold out suck (try to compare Operation Ivy to the Aquabats. There is no comparison). And all the fans of ska suck. They're all just half assed emo punks and computer/band nerds. And idiots who confuse ska and techno (which is terrible).
or rather, ska should be dead but some dumbasses insist on keeping it a vegetable on life support.
wait, what?
Streetlight and Catch 22 sold out? when?
Honestly, the kids whom you know that like ska are a VERY poor representation of the scene as a whole. neither of the two terms you used to describe fans of ska are applicable to anyone I really know, and honestly I don't think they apply to many people in ANY scene.
Oh, and branch out a wee bit. the Aquabats aren't the entire ska scene.

ONTOPIC:
Sonic Youth are overrated. I listened to Daydream Nation about 10 times, and it never really seemed that impressive to me. I guess I'll give them another try, but so far I haven't been impressed.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 am UTC

Cherry Kiss wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Purple Rain
Party like it's 1999

Prince:
Little Red Corvette
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
Kiss
And the song is called 1999. No need for the "party like it's"

Stones:
Honkey Tonk Woman
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Only Rock and Roll
Beast of Burden

Wow, I can't believe I know all of this.

Damn. how... wha.... mm...da...

Prince:
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Cream
Diamonds and Pearls
Get off
Money Don't Matter Tonight
that... batman song thing? Bat.. dance?
you got the look
Raspberry beret
Sign o the Times

Half these songs were probably #1s

Stones oh jeez. this list is endless...
Wild Horses
Anybody seen my baby?
Ruby Tuesday
Rock and a hard place
Harlem Shuffle
You cna't always get what you want
ANGIE bitches.. ANGIE. silly hat and all. :mrgreen:

Not liking em is fine. But it's almost impossible to not know any of their songs.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Return to “Music”