Epic Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

1337geek

Re: Epic Songs

Postby 1337geek » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

"Bat Out of Hell" fits your criteria perfectly.

Edit: this post is in response to this post, which was originally its own thread but is now merged. Didn't want anybody to get confused.
Last edited by 1337geek on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly. Over 17 minutes of music including a wicked drum solo. Listen to it if you haven't. (warning: the singers sound stoned out of their minds; story goes that the song was originally titled in the garden of eden, but the guy was drunk when he was saying it.)
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

Dammit, I was going to submit Achilles Last Stand.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Storm - Godspeed! You Black Emperor.

Actually, most post-rock is pretty epic.

Aleks

Re: Epic Music

Postby Aleks » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:26 am UTC

I was under the impression that this thread was for epic music. Not some stuff you've heard and just randomly called epic. (not directing this to anyone in particular) This has probably become the most abused adjective on t3h intarwebs. Epic has come to mean "good" or "amazing" (epic win/epic fail/etc)

But half the stuff mentioned in this thread aren't epic in the sense of something grande. In any case, for those of you have provided valid suggestions, I thank you. (I've been meaning to get Ayreon's The Human Equation for a while now. Now that I have it, I must say that it's really good. Thanks to whoever mentioned that.)

Anywho, the most epic album out there is Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle Earth. The entire album is based on The Silmarillion by Tolkien. Few things are more epic than big choruses, large choirs, huge orchestras and the feeling that the music is taking you to another world. You can listen to one of my favourite songs from that album here (if you're looking to experience the epic chorus skip to 1:18):

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jiBQuFgnA

Also, as a further testament to how epic power metal sounds like, take a look at this fan music video (at one point in this song there is 26 layers of the singer's voice...big and epic sounding...):

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=rmu0LMlS8Us

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I like literally epic things, but there are rarely any to find. Epic battles in World of Warcraft where the odds are stacked against and you come out victor are pretty good...
</tangent>
<heading to gaming forum>
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Turambar

Postby Turambar » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:54 am UTC

How about The Ecstasy of Gold from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (if you've ever seen a Metallica show, they usually open it with this).
Someone else mentioned Fortunata, Imperatrix Mundi by Carl Orff. Truly epic.

Also, most of Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, and Iron Maiden.

Someone mentioned Nightfall in Middle Earth, and I heartily second that.

And a lot of power metal/epic metal, since that's the point of it.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
--Richard Feynman

Aleks

Postby Aleks » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:20 am UTC

Turambar wrote:Also, most of Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, and Iron Maiden.

The only epic thing about Dream Theater is the really awesome lyrics. They're more progressive and technical than "epic". Also, Pink Floyd isn't epic in the sense of having "epic" music. They're really more of a rock kind of thing. As for Iron Maiden...that's a toughie. They for sure have epic lyrical content. But is their music as well? IMHO, they lack a big "epic" sound. But that's just me. The guitars are extremely melodic, catchy, and the choruses are wonderful and bigger than most metal today. You could argue for their epicness, though. In fact, I think they are to a degree.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of these bands a lot. But with the exception of some of Iron Maiden's songs, I don't think anything else is epic in that list.

Delmieth

Postby Delmieth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Storm - Godspeed! You Black Emperor.

Actually, most post-rock is pretty epic.

I totally agree, but for me it would be East Hastings
souldelay wrote:I tried it on my campus and totally got busted for "inappropriate use of cookware"

I just want to know how the hell cakewaffles are inappropriate.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

Listening to the new Pyramaze album. The one with Matt Barlow. It's pretty Epic.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:Seriously, do we not have enough of these threads already?

You realize you linked to this thread, right?

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

RedWolf wrote:

You realise his original post was in a thread that was then merged to this one, right?
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Aleks

Postby Aleks » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

l33t_sas wrote:Listening to the new Pyramaze album. The one with Matt Barlow. It's pretty Epic.

Maybe so, but I'm glad Matt is back in Iced Earth :) Have you heard the new single? It's mind blowing.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:40 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:
RedWolf wrote:

You realise his original post was in a thread that was then merged to this one, right?

No, in fact, I did not realize that!
:P

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:33 am UTC

Now that I think about it, many of Coldplay's big songs are very epic in sound, especially X&Y and Viva La Vida.

Even the cover is quite epic:

A band is automatically epic if they have paintings of French revolutions on their album covers.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpqO5kr1Xxs

Somehow, I found this to be epic.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:41 am UTC

I think the original poster was looking for more orchestral/theatrical epic music, like E.S. Posthumus or E Nomine, as originally stated. Its been bothering me that most people are just mentioning really intense rock/metal, and I just now decided to let it out.

...however, the original poster (more likely than not) no longer looks at this thread, so please carry on :-P Thus I feel the need to mention Through the Fire and Flames!

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Well, most of the Prog-Rock that I mentioned takes much of it's epic nature from large elements of Classical Music.

Toccatta performed by Emerson, Lake and Palmer and The Devil's Triangle by King Crimson are actually electrified versions of classical pieces.

Aleks

Postby Aleks » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

RedWolf wrote:I think the original poster was looking for more orchestral/theatrical epic music, like E.S. Posthumus or E Nomine, as originally stated. Its been bothering me that most people are just mentioning really intense rock/metal, and I just now decided to let it out.

It's not really intense. Most of the metal mentioned here (Nightfall in Middle Earth) is packed with orchestration, choirs and the like. It's epic...just a different flavour of epic that you're probably not used to.

RedWolf wrote:...Thus I feel the need to mention Through the Fire and Flames!

No, no, no, no! :evil: Dragonforce is overrated, and they're not epic at all.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Dragonforce can be epic. Sadly, I also find them very repetitive. A good band in small doses. (Also, they make me better at Unreal Tournament, so I can't hate them that much.)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Dragonforce is utter garbage, there is nothing epic about two dudes wanking over their guitars.

Also it sounds like a turkey fight.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:17 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Dragonforce is utter garbage, there is nothing epic about two dudes wanking over their guitars.

Also it sounds like a turkey fight.

Just a note that some of us have differing opinions on this stuff. There's nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing to be gained by criticizing another individual's musical tastes. I didn't claim Dragonforce was some amazingly epic crossbreed of Leonidas, William Wallace, and Sam Jackson. Just that I happen to like them from time to time. Nothing to get upset about--and certainly not the kind of thing you can argue about. "I like X." "Oh yeah, well X sucks." See? Not going anywhere and not a road worth going down.

Well. You heard him.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Sorry, it's just that Dragonforce pisses me off. No offense intended to your musical taste.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:22 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Sorry, it's just that Dragonforce pisses me off. No offense intended to your musical taste.

None taken--deities know I don't have much respect for it myself--just pointing out that you never know when someone will equate "hey, he hates that band I like" to "Hey, he hates me". (And now this thread is getting off topic.)

Most epic music makes me wish it was possible for me to have a sound track in real life. How awesome would it be if, while doing some calculus problem that's amazingly hard and nailing it, something really triumphant sounded behind you? (Answer: really awesome.)

Well. You heard him.

Aleks

Postby Aleks » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:13 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Most epic music makes me wish it was possible for me to have a sound track in real life. How awesome would it be if, while doing some calculus problem that's amazingly hard and nailing it, something really triumphant sounded behind you? (Answer: really awesome.)

For stuff like that I usually play my victory music. a.k.a You're The Best by Joe Esposito :D Seriously. It's such a good victory song.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:31 am UTC

um. Ok then. I haven't seen anyone mention quite a few of these, but I'd go to war listening to most of 'em. Zombies, demons, raptors, and giant robots beware.

Tartini's 'Devil's Trill Sonata' remix'd by Vanessa Mae.
Coal Chamber' remixes for Devil May Cry 3 (Devil Cry, Devils Never Cry)
Liquid Tension Experiment 'Acid Rain'
The White Stripe 'Seven Nation Army'
The Cruxshadow 'Winter Born' (This Sacrifice)
High and Mighty Color 'Pride-Phantom Pain Norishiro breakmegamix'
Rammstein 'Feuer Frei' :D
KorpiKlaani 'Cottages and Saunas', 'God of Wind'
One Winged Angel, of course. (for anime/games, I agree that Uematsu has made quite a few epics,
Cowboy Bebop's music rocks, and the intro to Samurai Champloo is nice, even if I loathe rap for the most part.)
Linkin Park 'No More Sorrow'
Rise Against 'Prayer of the Refugee'
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Most epic music makes me wish it was possible for me to have a sound track in real life. How awesome would it be if, while doing some calculus problem that's amazingly hard and nailing it, something really triumphant sounded behind you? (Answer: really awesome.)

One time I had my library on shuffle, and it just so happened that as I neared the end of my assignment, "This Land" from the Lion King soundtrack came on. And the very second I finished the last problem, it hit that point in the song where it changes from sad and slow to upbeat and awesome. Those of you who know the song know what I'm talking about. That song may not be epic itself, but that moment sure was!
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:something really triumphant sounded behind you? (Answer: really awesome.)

*Insert FF Victory music*

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:03 am UTC

Aleril wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:something really triumphant sounded behind you? (Answer: really awesome.)

Surely I'm not the only one who occasionally says "do-do-do-do-do-do doo do-do-do doo" out loud?

(I'm well aware that that makes pretty much no sense, and you can't actually notate music that way. Too bad.)

Well. You heard him.

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:23 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Aleril wrote:

Surely I'm not the only one who occasionally says "do-do-do-do-do-do doo do-do-do doo" out loud?

(I'm well aware that that makes pretty much no sense, and you can't actually notate music that way. Too bad.)

New goal in life:

"Do doo" musical notation standard.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

Copelovitchski

Postby Copelovitchski » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

My apologies in advance for the length, but here it goes:

1337geek wrote:One time I had my library on shuffle, and it just so happened that as I neared the end of my assignment, "This Land" from the Lion King soundtrack came on. And the very second I finished the last problem, it hit that point in the song where it changes from sad and slow to upbeat and awesome. Those of you who know the song know what I'm talking about. That song may not be epic itself, but that moment sure was!

That is AWEsome!

To add to the growing list of Epic Music:
Requiem Mass in D Minor (K. 626) by Mozart, specifically the:
Dias Irae
-for actual battle scenes
Lacrymosa
-for the scenes afterward involving panoramas of the corpse-and-wounded strewn battlefield, or possibly a montage of some of the more tragic moments (note: this particular movement actually moves me to tears. As a matter of fact, thinking about 'corpse-and-wounded-strewn battlefields' combined with this movement is doing it now...).

the Kyrie, from Mozart's Mass in C Minor (K. 427),(possibly other movements, but i've never heard the other parts)

J.S. Bach's Mass in B Minor (some movementsmoreso than most of them; we played it in our university orchestra, but it was a year ago now and I just remember general epicosity. Which IS a word... It was also REALLY LONG.)

There seems to be something about Masses...

The soundtrack to the Dune miniseries has some pretty epic stuff in it (Summoning the Worm, at least)

Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky. Possibly THE creepiest and epicly demonic piece in existance. With the closing downward run, it seems like the world itself just falls apart and shatters.

[was going to include Debussy's Nocturnes, but they're not actually epic... beautiful, and amazing, but not epic]

Hopefully there were be more to follow.

von Eisenstein

Postby von Eisenstein » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

To me, "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2" is a synonym for "epic." =D THE most overplayed piano piece ever...but when it's played by a good performer, it's awesome.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Vanguard wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpqO5kr1Xxs

Somehow, I found this to be epic.

Wait, they named a magazine after O-Zone?

("Dragostea Din Tei" comes to mind)
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:04 am UTC

I always felt Chrono's theme (might be the main theme, I'm not sure) from Chrono Trigger was pretty epic. It builds up slowly with lots of drum and brass instrument sounds and gets pretty hectic towards the end. It's also used in some of the most dramatic parts of the game.
Anyway, I feel that epic music needs to be instrumental because no lyrics conveys emotion better while lyrics deliver ideas or messages better. But that's just my opinion.

Fryie

Postby Fryie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Copelovitchski wrote:Requiem Mass in D Minor (K. 626) by Mozart, specifically the:
Dias Irae
-for actual battle scenes
Lacrymosa
-for the scenes afterward involving panoramas of the corpse-and-wounded strewn battlefield, or possibly a montage of some of the more tragic moments (note: this particular movement actually moves me to tears. As a matter of fact, thinking about 'corpse-and-wounded-strewn battlefields' combined with this movement is doing it now...).

The name's Lacrimosa, with i, actually but - yes. I happen to have a recording (from a school choir, they're singing good though) where they only play the first eight bars. I think it's much more powerful - the rest of the Lacrimosa (as well as many other parts of the Requiem) was completed by Süssmayr and to me it just doesn't leave the same impressions on me.

By the way you left out "Tuba Mirum" and, of course, the Kyrie. I love the Kyrie fugue.

Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky. Possibly THE creepiest and epicly demonic piece in existance. With the closing downward run, it seems like the world itself just falls apart and shatters.

It has to be said, though, that it was left unfinished by him and only completed by Rimski-Korsakoff. Musorgski always being considered too rough and unskilled when he was still alive, Rimski-Korsakoff changed the sound of the piece a lot (as he did with Boris Godunov, which however had been completed by Musorgski), especially the Wagnerian ending is quite un-Musorgski-esque. (Oh, but I love Musorgski, the Boris Godunov is priceless!)

Epic is a difficult word; in the literal sense, it bears some connection to the narrated, not dramatic story - for that matter, Kurt Weill's music is probably the most "epic" you could get, since he wrote the music for many of Brecht's plays. However, I guess the term has come to mean more often than not the exact opposite - the dramatic. Often also implying some kind of universal importance, lengthiness, mythological ties, in-the-ancient-days-feeling, etc.
As such, Wagner is the key figure. The late 19th century condensed in one person. Pathos, pathos, pathos. "Hey, this is about the important things in life!" shouts over and over. And somewhat cheesy, sometimes, somewhat pretentious, but always incredibly skillfully made. It's an own world, somehow.
Other than that almost any (especially late) 19th century music will do, because it's the century of idealism, nationalism, grandeur, illusions, etc. The Russians, for example - Glinkas "A Life for the Tsar", though mostly unknown outside of Russia (where it is still considered the "first Russian opera", not completely without reason).

Someone mentioned Stravinki - I'm skeptical of calling Stravinski "epic", in either sense of the term. Perhaps the Sacre, but only because it has that Wagnerian intent to artifically imitate what is the true and ancient nature of one people (the Germans for Wagner, the Russians for Stravinski) - other than that however any comparison between the two shows almost only differences, I guess. The other things Stravinski wrote either have some kind of bizzarre humour, or are completely unemotional and antiromantic, often both, at least as far as I know them. Especially since Stravinski said himself that music is just music and has no other meaning or purpose; well, the complete opposite of Wagner. I love Stravinski, though.

Compiling..

Postby Compiling.. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

I don't know if someone has said this already, because I was kinda too lazy to read all of the posts, but I got my most favorite epic band ever here.
Sonata Arctica.
They are so so good!
And I recommend 'Ain't Your Fairytale', or 'The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet' or 'Misplaced' or.. hell! I recommend the album "Reckoning Night"
They are so epic!
Depression is not fun..
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:i just want you to know that we're Never Gonna Give You Up, Never Gonna Let You Down, Never gonna run around and desert you, Never gonna make you cry, Never gonna say goodbye, Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Damn, I've got the entire Ring des Nibelungen on my PC, but I'm still yet to hear it. Come on, it'd take me a full afternoon to get through the whole thing. Not that that would be a problem, but usually I've been in the mood to be laid back and listen to Sigur Rós, Stereolab and Björk.

bowlerhatman

Postby bowlerhatman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Explosions in the Sky-All of the Sudden I Miss Everyone, especially It's Natural to Be Afraid. Also parts of The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place.

I've always been moved by the song Sons and Daughters by The Decemberists. I don't know if it's quite epic, though...

All of Sigur Ros-(). Love it, and especially Untitled 4.

And sometimes Rammstein. But rarely. The song Dalai Lama, as well as Reise Reise, specifically.
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings,
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains.
-Percy Bysshe Shelly

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Boston's "The Launch" (especially when heard in concert or at volume levels attempting to achieve that effect)

Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor is fun to bash out on a piano. I always play the first section as quietly as the piano will let me and the last as loud as my fingers can stand. The middle section is just one giant crescendo. It's incredibly difficult to play it as fast as he does, but I almost managed to a few times without botching it too badly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wddtne7KSs
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

Force42

Postby Force42 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Andrew Lloyd Weber's music. Particularly Jesus Christ Superstar and The Phantom of the Opera. Cats was pretty cool, too; I mean, they're anthropomorphic singing cats, but they're awesome.

Return to “Music”