Sigur Rós

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Stief

Sigur Rós

Postby Stief » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:44 am UTC

I'm currently listening to "Vaka/Untitled #1"

This band is just........amazing...

I've loved their music, ever since hearing Hoppipolla...

I saw Heima in early december...simply amazing. It made me want to go to Iceland...

anyways, who else loves them?
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Midnight

Re: Sigur Ros

Postby Midnight » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:32 am UTC

yeah.. i play them a lot.

admittedly, it's before i go to sleep, but just because it's peaceful doesn't mean it's boring. it's actually really interesting. i love how they turn voice into an instrument with hopelandic..
uhhhh fuck.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:44 am UTC

Sigur Ros are great, though 'hopelandic' makes very little difference to my appreciation of their music - it's all Greek to me...
Sometimes I feel they overdo the electronic manipulation a bit, and it'll sound dated in the not too distant future, so it's great to hear acoustic versions on Heima. Haven't seen the film itself yet, just heard the Hvarf / Heim double album.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

What a coincidence, I just bought two of their CDs this afternoon, ( ) and Takk. Halfway through ( ) so far. I've had a mixed collection of their songs for a few years and really liked their music, just now decided to actually buy a couple full-length albums.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:23 am UTC

well it's not so much understanding it as the fact that instead of singing, to convey words, they sing to convey music--like an actual instrument.
uhhhh fuck.

Muppetizer

Postby Muppetizer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:33 am UTC

My lady friend just recently got me into them.
I've got Takk and love it, I have to agree with Midnight about the 'hopelandic' aspect, most of my music collection is either singer/songwriter or instruemental, so I've learned to blur the lines in terms of appreciating the meaning and intepretation of lyrics and the actual musical themes in songs.

Plus they sound fun and stuff.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:well it's not so much understanding it as the fact that instead of singing, to convey words, they sing to convey music--like an actual instrument.

Resent me for the opinion if you like :P, but plenty of bands have entirely meaningless lyrics that only serve as a vehicle for rhythm or texture as complements the music (try to make sense of Astronomy Domine by Pink Floyd, Dead by The Pixies [hell, pretty much any Pixies song] or Holiday by the Bee Gees for example); making a big deal out of hopelandic just seems a bit silly to me - though I genuinely mean no offence by the observation, and obviously the examples have none of the soaring emotion of Sigur Ros...

EDIT: Reset -> Resent -.-
Last edited by KingAl on Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Muppetizer

Postby Muppetizer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

I think it's a gimmick, but a really pretty sounding gimmick, it accentuates the mood of the music a decent amount, and I think it does give them a fairly unique sound. Then again they're Icelandic, so if they were singing in their native tongue I still wouldn't know what the hell they were saying anyway, so it's a pretty moot point.
I really despise bad lyrics though, neither of the bands you mentioned are my cup of tea, I'm much more a Can and.... *struggles to think of a band the same genre as the Bee Gees I like...* fan.
Lyrics play varying importance given the genre or point of a song, a Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan (maybe... Well no, but well known examples are hard to think of) or Jacques Brel song for instance would pay a lot more attention to the construction and poetry of a songs prose, perhaps even over the accompanying music.
The 'Hopelandic' gimmick seems to be an effective method of casting aside any focus on the lyrics people may hold, so that the music can be better heard or focused on. After all the human voice can be a pretty amazing instruement, lyrics aside.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Muppetizer wrote:I really despise bad lyrics though, neither of the bands you mentioned are my cup of tea, I'm much more a Can and.... *struggles to think of a band the same genre as the Bee Gees I like...* fan.

Haha, well, I wouldn't exactly call myself a Bee Gees fan, it was for the sake of example. But yes, I see your point - in making it clear that lyrics are gibberish through a 'gimmick' if you like, they encourage people to ignore the preconceptions they have of what lyrics ought to be. My point was merely that it isn't a rare occurrence, they're just one of few bands to make it a stylistic staple of their music.

Muppetizer

Postby Muppetizer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

KingAl wrote:
Muppetizer wrote:I really despise bad lyrics though, neither of the bands you mentioned are my cup of tea, I'm much more a Can and.... *struggles to think of a band the same genre as the Bee Gees I like...* fan.

Haha, well, I wouldn't exactly call myself a Bee Gees fan, it was for the sake of example. But yes, I see your point - in making it clear that lyrics are gibberish through a 'gimmick' if you like, they encourage people to ignore the preconceptions they have of what lyrics ought to be. My point was merely that it isn't a rare occurrence, they're just one of few bands to make it a stylistic staple of their music.

Hahaahhaa, very well said.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:39 am UTC

Jeff Jaques has already said anything I want to say about Sigur Ros, and he's said it nicer than I would. I mean, I do kind of enjoy the song ("Svefn-G-Englar") from the Vanilla Sky soundtrack
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Hopelandic was a journalist's invention...the band make no claims to any such thing...they're just random sounds and noises to accompany the music.

( ) is my favourite of their albums, and one of my all time favourite albums.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Takk... is an absolutely amazing album. I got the Saeglopur EP and DVD to go along with it, and the videos really make it. It's nice to listen to music where lyrics aren't the main focus.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Of the three albums of theirs I own, I would say Agaetis Byrjun is the best, followed closely by Takk, with ( ) a bit further behind. It isn't bad, necessarily, but I don't find it (except, of course, Vaka) to be as engaging as their other works.

Though, honestly, I think a lot of my love for them is nostalgia. They were the first post-rock band I'd ever heard, when the slowly-building-crescendo trope was a new thing to me. It's a gimmicky structure that so much post-rock is based on, and while it isn't bad it means that a lost of post-rock sounds very samey.

If you do like Sigur Ros (and I do), I would recommend Gregor Samsa, who have a similar feel to Sigur Ros at times (not quite as frigid and sweeping, perhaps) but rely less on the crescendo. And, of course, there's Godspeed You! Black Emperor whose music is entirely instrumental with some spoken-word parts, and whose melodies float in a sea of desolate post-apocalyptic ambience.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:48 am UTC

well hopelandic goes a bit beyond gibberish lyrics.. i mean there's the pixies talking about wombats taking them away (or was that the police?) and then there's just 'oooooossshhaaaadooooaaaaa" or something.
and cara is right, i guess, in that they're just gibberish and random noises. But it works. As an instrument.

:P

hoppiloppila or whatever (it's listed as "track 01" on my ipod, ok?!) is one of my favorite songs ever.
uhhhh fuck.

ellummoxo

Postby ellummoxo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:28 am UTC

I think my favorite part of Sigur Ros is listening to other peoples interpretations of what the lyrics mean. If you never clue someone in to what they're doing they sort of impress meaning into the sounds and it becomes a new piece of music in that moment. I like to listen to their work during various heightened emotional states to see what my own monkey brain comes up with. Variously I have heard the answers to all of life's questions, a recipe for cheese bread and prophecies of doom. I liken it to impressionist visual art.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

Vaka, from (). Now that's a fine song indeed.

I had the opening bars to it on loop on my website, until I got a letter. What's Icelandic for "cease and desist?"
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Agaetis Byrjun is my favourite album by Sigur Ros. It is also, imo, their saddest sounding one, and maybe it is that which appeals to me. A friend of mine told me he couldn't listen to them because they made him too sad.

Two other post-rock bands that I absolutely adore and you should listen to if you can get your hands on them:
Amiina
The Evpatoria Report

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

I normally don't care much for post-rock in generally, but my roomate keeps tricking me into liking Mogwai songs. The song will come on and I'll think, "Oh, a Nine Inch Nails instrumental that I don't know" and I'll half-listen and enjoy it, and then be told it's Mogwai. Pretty frustrating.
And some old pictures.

Anomie

Postby Anomie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:Agaetis Byrjun is my favourite album by Sigur Ros. It is also, imo, their saddest sounding one, and maybe it is that which appeals to me. A friend of mine told me he couldn't listen to them because they made him too sad.

Two other post-rock bands that I absolutely adore and you should listen to if you can get your hands on them:
Amiina
The Evpatoria Report

I always saw ( ) as incredibly sad, but Agaetis Byrjun has moments. The end of Staralfur gets me every time :(
What Evaptoria Report stuff would you recommend me getting my hands on? I had one of their songs once and I loved it.
They don't sleep on the beaches anymore.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Get the album Golevka. It's simply amazing. :)

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:53 am UTC

Muppetizer wrote:I think it's a gimmick, but a really pretty sounding gimmick, it accentuates the mood of the music a decent amount, and I think it does give them a fairly unique sound. Then again they're Icelandic, so if they were singing in their native tongue I still wouldn't know what the hell they were saying anyway, so it's a pretty moot point.

Hmm. I don't think singing without words is necessarily a gimmick. Many people have done so throughout history and lots of musicians start their songs that way. Plus Jónsi often sings in Icelandic too, like on most of Ágætis byrjun* and some of Von and Takk. All of ( ) is Hopelandic and I don't much about their other albums.

thefiddler wrote:Agaetis Byrjun is my favourite album by Sigur Ros. It is also, imo, their saddest sounding one, and maybe it is that which appeals to me. A friend of mine told me he couldn't listen to them because they made him too sad.

It's interesting to hear the different reactions people have to their songs. Njósnavélin (a.k.a Untitled #4) makes me sad even though the lyrics they chose to put to it after the fact (from the winner of a fan contest) are kinda happy. I usually feel peaced out when I listen to Svefn-g-englar (which was on a mix that I listened to today), though occasionally melancholy too. Some people think Sæglópur sounds sad, but it makes me ridiculously happy.

If you ever wanna know the lyrics for their Icelandic songs, here's a good site.

*Including Ný Batterí, which is one of my favorite songs ever and the only one of their's that I know all the words to. I'm gonna listen to it right now. :)
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Windmill wrote:Takk... is an absolutely amazing album. I got the Saeglopur EP and DVD to go along with it, and the videos really make it. It's nice to listen to music where lyrics aren't the main focus.
If that's what you're after, I'd also suggest My Bloody Valentine. I've been listening to Loveless a lot in the past month, I'm not sure I could tell you any lyrics right now. And I'm fine with that.
And some old pictures.

alexjhh

Postby alexjhh » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:
Windmill wrote:Takk... is an absolutely amazing album. I got the Saeglopur EP and DVD to go along with it, and the videos really make it. It's nice to listen to music where lyrics aren't the main focus.
If that's what you're after, I'd also suggest My Bloody Valentine. I've been listening to Loveless a lot in the past month, I'm not sure I could tell you any lyrics right now. And I'm fine with that.

I second that - I tend to try and listen for a bit, but as with a lot of shoegaze stuff, if you just kind of let it go and lead the way, it works. If you try and hold onto the lyrics, then you realise quite how bad they are. That doesn't stop me from loving "Sometimes" as much as I always did though.

I just checked out that Sigur Ros lyrics site. Again, not very well written, but the atmosphere they convey is fantastic. Love it :D
"The train seemed boring after the flying carpets of years before" - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Just started listening to (), and yes, Vaka is an amazing song with quite the sad music video. I also got into Takk and it to is an amazing album.

Now if only they did something with Mogwai or Explosions in the Sky.

Stief

Postby Stief » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Just started listening to (), and yes, Vaka is an amazing song with quite the sad music video. I also got into Takk and it to is an amazing album.

Now if only they did something with Mogwai or Explosions in the Sky.

I think there's a song floating around the internets where they did a song with Mogwai...I'm pretty sure I have it somewhere on one of the PCs in my house
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

From their official site:
Sigur Rós wrote:have sigur rós ever collaborated with mogwai?
no. there are a couple of mp3s going around named e.g. "sigur ros & mogwai - luvstory". these mp3s have nothing to do with sigur rós, nor with mogwai. they were made by the korean band 500won project whose name was put on the mp3 by someone outside the band, which resulted in sigur rós and mogwai fans spreading the mp3s around the internet.

alexjhh

Postby alexjhh » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

*Sheds a let-down tear*

Oh well. I'm willing to wait.
"The train seemed boring after the flying carpets of years before" - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed May 28, 2008 5:01 am UTC

REVIV'D

Ok, NOW I really got down and started listening to Takk, and it really is a work of art.

And I do agree with Faye. The lead singer is a dolphin.

Sam Knight

Postby Sam Knight » Fri May 30, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Heh, Takk is great, especially Sæglópur and Svo Hljótt. But I think I might prefer Ágætis Byrjun over the rest of their albums. Can't wait to see them on August the 2nd!! Sure hope they play Dánarfregnir og Jarðafarir, even though it doesn't seem to be one of their more popular songs..

ian

Postby ian » Fri May 30, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

New track so disappointing. Hope the whole album isn't like it.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat May 31, 2008 12:51 am UTC

ian wrote:New track so disappointing.
I got that feeling also. I've only heard it once so far, on my radiophonical autoceiver, which does not like to stay attuned to local stations for longer than seventeen seconds. So most of the track was distorted by radiofuzz. But still, I didn't like the sound too much, even when it came through clearly.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:29 am UTC

Mhm. Their music is a bit too out there for me at times, but songs like Hoppipolla and Untitled 3 are absolutely stunning.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:09 am UTC

ian wrote:New track so disappointing. Hope the whole album isn't like it.

Same heresies. It its not a bad song, but its just not Sigur Ros. It reminds me more of the Animal Collective.

Zero

Postby Zero » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

Words can't describe how much i "hate" this band... they are one of the best bands i've heard regarding "depressing" songs. Touching music. I can't even stand Svefn-g-englar anymore!

And yes, the new track... *sigh*. I want my Sigur Rós back at what they are the best. Can't blame them for trying new things, but it sounds so bad in comparison with any other Sigur Rós track.

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Britain's Radio 1 will be airing one of two 9 minute tracks off their new album on Monday between 10pm and 12pm GMT. They've already played one track off it and I have to say I loved it.
"Woof!", explained the dog

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:
ian wrote:New track so disappointing. Hope the whole album isn't like it.

Same heresies. It its not a bad song, but its just not Sigur Ros. It reminds me more of the Animal Collective.

If you look at it like them attempting to write a "summer" album as opposed to "winter" albums, its totally Sigur Ros.
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

seladore

Postby seladore » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:23 am UTC

So, the new album is online.

Thoughts, anyone?

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

I haven't had a chance to listen to the new album yet - I just thought I'd say (because so far nobody has) that Rós are absolutely kickin' live. I saw them in '05, and they tore the place apart; alternately gently lulling and ungodly-loud batshit-ripping.
Orsum.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:Same heresies. It its not a bad song, but its just not Sigur Ros. It reminds me more of the Animal Collective.

That's pretty much the reason why I like it. :D Mmmm...Animal Collective. I think it'd be interesting to see how this new direction works.
i dare you to take me on...

Return to “Music”