Sigur Rós

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aleril
Le Rail

Re: Sigur Ros

Postby Aleril » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:06 am UTC

Just got Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust and loving it's constant energy.

Also, I love Jonsi's voice :D

CircleTriangles

Postby CircleTriangles » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:16 am UTC

KingAl wrote:
Midnight wrote:well it's not so much understanding it as the fact that instead of singing, to convey words, they sing to convey music--like an actual instrument.

Resent me for the opinion if you like :P, but plenty of bands have entirely meaningless lyrics that only serve as a vehicle for rhythm or texture as complements the music (try to make sense of Astronomy Domine by Pink Floyd, Dead by The Pixies [hell, pretty much any Pixies song] or Holiday by the Bee Gees for example)

At the Drive-In/The Mars Volta, anyone?

New album is excellent. It covers all the ground their previous albums did, plus adds pop and a bit more bombast. And English! Briefly.
I wonder how many people will give me an eyebrow raise in regards to the cover art?
The Scruffy-Haired Protagonist
Last.fm

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:35 am UTC

Something's raised, but its not an eyebrow!

:lol:

:|

:oops:
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

CircleTriangles

Postby CircleTriangles » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:37 am UTC

There IS a girl on there.
It's the one in the far distance.

So it's okay.
Last.fm

seladore

Postby seladore » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

I'm really not a fan of the new album. It was a direction they started going in with Takk, the lighter, poppy SR without the brooding beauty of bombast that they had on their previous albums.
The new stuff seems like Sigur Ros lite.

CircleTriangles

Postby CircleTriangles » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:02 am UTC

seladore wrote:The new stuff seems like Sigur Ros lite.

Their new stuff is more refined and varied, and I'd say the production is better too. It's okay to not like it but there are as many improvements as there are downfalls. Isn't three albums of brooding enough?
Last.fm

El Cool

Postby El Cool » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 am UTC

Been a fan for probably 4 years.. this last one I haven't listened to it as much as I did ( ) and Agaetis.
I love this kind of music and listen to it mostly when coding or just relaxing. Didn't actually think there were a lot of fans out there.

Advice: Do not drive 3 hours on the highway and put on Sigur Ros. I fell asleep and drove a rented minivan into an 18-wheeler. I woke up just in time to just lose the side mirror. Gave my family quite a scare. Now, Me and my brother joke about it whenever it comes on the playlist.
- There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't -

Sevilla

Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

Postby Sevilla » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Edit: Albumart may be considered NSFW so hence spoilered. If you have no objection to seeing a man's arse then clicky right away
Spoiler:

Though techincally been released for two days, it was previously leaked and just wanting to know if any of you had listened to it - and possibly compell those of you who haven't to try it out even if you're new to Sigur Ros. Though I did scoff at the album art (as I'm sure many did) before listening; after having done so I'll say I retract that. This release is unbelievably liberating and the more upbeat of their albums that I've listened to at least; Takk & ( ). I can truly why after listening to this one would want to sprint in the buff across a highway with the chilly Icelandic breeze blowing in your hair, and I'm not limiting that to just on your head. Have to say that my favourite track would be Inní mér syngur vitleysingur" (Within me a lunatic sings) .

So guys, thoughts on it if you've listened? If you'd like it you could either buy or use google, I'm certain it's hosted on rapidshare (Having got it from there xD)
Last edited by Sevilla on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickRsGhost

Re: Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

You might want to spoiler that image since it can be considered NSFW.
PRG

An important message for you:

Sevilla

Postby Sevilla » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

And done, fair enough.

seladore

Postby seladore » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

The album is balls. Agaetis Byrjun and ( ) contain some of the most stunning mucic I have ever heard. Takk is OK, but not great. This new one continues the trend... it's not the band I once knew.

Sevilla

Postby Sevilla » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

I agree that () was wonderful - and that their direction has changed somewhat since then but I don't see it necessarily as a bad thing. Different, yes - but I don't see it as bad. I haven't listened to Agaetis but I'll be sure to do so.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

I haven't listened to the album much - only briefly on last.fm - but the first track has definitely grown on me. The rest of the album seems to be a bit more downbeat than the single, but I remember it being quite good, though not as incredible and poignant as ( ) or Agaetis.

Zero

Postby Zero » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

The first part of "Festival" is so emotional. ;_;

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:40 am UTC

Man, finding this thread took some effort haha. I would be surprised if there was no Sigur Ros thread around though.

Reason for posting?
We can listen to Sigur Ros' singer Jonsi's album 'Go' here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... 6#playlist

Enjoy. :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

I heard Hoppipola a few days ago. I may need to look into this band.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:24 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:Mhm. Their music is a bit too out there for me at times, but songs like Hoppipolla and Untitled 3 are absolutely stunning.

*Nibbles on kitten*

Well, my ears and taste in music have changed quite a bit in the past couple years...now, if anything, I dislike certain Sigur Ros songs because I think they're too boring/formulaic! Haha, this is funny...
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

As I told a friend: I'd like to like them to chat up girls and what not, but they're a bit too sissy for my tastes. I mean, they're not bad, it's pretty music but I dislike the imagery that comes with their music.
Please don't kill me.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:19 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:As I told a friend: I'd like to like them to chat up girls and what not, but they're a bit too sissy for my tastes. I mean, they're not bad, it's pretty music but I dislike the imagery that comes with their music.
Please don't kill me.

Manliness is important eh?

Try listening to Untitled #8.

Imagery is basically the world ending.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Essah

Postby Essah » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:31 am UTC

Sigur rós is an amazing band. one of the best i know.

Whats your favorite song people?

Mines

Samskeyti and another one i cant remember the title of.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

CircleTriangles wrote:
KingAl wrote:
Midnight wrote:well it's not so much understanding it as the fact that instead of singing, to convey words, they sing to convey music--like an actual instrument.

Resent me for the opinion if you like :P, but plenty of bands have entirely meaningless lyrics that only serve as a vehicle for rhythm or texture as complements the music (try to make sense of Astronomy Domine by Pink Floyd, Dead by The Pixies [hell, pretty much any Pixies song] or Holiday by the Bee Gees for example)

But the mars volta does convey stuff. Well, their first (and imo their best) album is a concept album. with a story n urvrythang. at the drive in talks about events and such as well. cryptic lyrics are not the same as gibberish.

my bloody valentine would probably be a better example because they had their voices just act as a melody.
uhhhh fuck.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:
CircleTriangles wrote:
KingAl wrote:

But the mars volta does convey stuff. Well, their first (and imo their best) album is a concept album. with a story n urvrythang. at the drive in talks about events and such as well. cryptic lyrics are not the same as gibberish.

my bloody valentine would probably be a better example because they had their voices just act as a melody.

TMV/AtD-I indeed have very meaningful lyrics. They're just utterly incomprehensible at first. :mrgreen:

Another candidate for voice-as-music-only are the Cocteau Twins. Liz Frasers beautiful mumblings <3
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Sam Knight

Postby Sam Knight » Wed May 26, 2010 8:05 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:
ChocloManx wrote:As I told a friend: I'd like to like them to chat up girls and what not, but they're a bit too sissy for my tastes. I mean, they're not bad, it's pretty music but I dislike the imagery that comes with their music.
Please don't kill me.

Manliness is important eh?

Try listening to Untitled #8.

Imagery is basically the world ending.

And listen to it all the way through, it really only fires up 6 minutes in. But MAN they put so much more energy into this song live (at least in Sydney 08) than they did for the album.

el_loco_avs

Re: Sigur Rós

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed May 26, 2010 11:40 am UTC

I'm seeing Jonsi's solo act live next week. Psyched.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:30 am UTC

Goatboy wrote:Jeff Jaques has already said anything I want to say about Sigur Ros, and he's said it nicer than I would. I mean, I do kind of enjoy the song ("Svefn-G-Englar") from the Vanilla Sky soundtrack

I'm with you there, It sounds like incidental music; not something to be listened to in it's own right.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Essah

Postby Essah » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

what album are you referring to with the Untitled#x tracks ?
I have several of the albums and have proper titles for all of them.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:Jeff Jaques has already said anything I want to say about Sigur Ros, and he's said it nicer than I would. I mean, I do kind of enjoy the song ("Svefn-G-Englar") from the Vanilla Sky soundtrack

Wow. What a horrible webcomic.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Shuuuuun.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

gurfunklebunker

Postby gurfunklebunker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:46 am UTC

I love Sigur Rós! (:
Ágætis is definitely my favourite album by them, the build up in Viðrar vel til loftáŕása is just lovely.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:38 am UTC

Essah wrote:what album are you referring to with the Untitled#x tracks ?
I have several of the albums and have proper titles for all of them.

It's ( ). I'm pretty sure all the tracks have names floating around from live performances that have since become standard, but they aren't written anywhere on the album art and (at least when I got it) don't show up when you import the CD.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:03 am UTC

Saw Jonsi's solo show tonight. Fucking amazing. Visual and audio perfection.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:

Wow. What a horrible webcomic.

I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic, because otherwise you are stunningly wrong.

To keep this on-track, I like Jonsi's new album well enough. I dunno though. Quite expectedly, it's a little bit too Jonsi-heavy, but seeing as I mentioned that it's quite expected, I don't mind too much. I'd rather listen to full-bore Sigur Ros though.
uhhhh fuck.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Wow. What a horrible webcomic.

Read the news-post at the bottom of this comic. I daresay you made your judgment too quickly.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

I completely lost track of Sigur Rós stuff, and I realise I definitely need to check out Jón's solo stuff, if only to be able to say I did check it out. And I hope the band gets back on track soon. I was sad enough with Stereolab taking an "indefinite hiatus", I don't want more of that!

Ephemeron wrote:Read the news-post at the bottom of this comic. I daresay you made your judgment too quickly.

I didn't bash the comic because of the anti-Rós comments.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I completely lost track of Sigur Rós stuff, and I realise I definitely need to check out Jón's solo stuff, if only to be able to say I did check it out. And I hope the band gets back on track soon. I was sad enough with Stereolab taking an "indefinite hiatus", I don't want more of that!

Ephemeron wrote:Read the news-post at the bottom of this comic. I daresay you made your judgment too quickly.

I didn't bash the comic because of the anti-Rós comments.

I recommend it. The album doesn't quite reach SR's intensity (although the live performance DEFINATELY does) but it's a very beautiful album.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:56 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:I recommend it. The album doesn't quite reach SR's intensity (although the live performance DEFINATELY does) but it's a very beautiful album.

That's cool to know. I don't think they ever depended on the sheer weight and force they could put into their songs, though they're extremely skilful in making their music sound powerful without being forced. I particularly enjoy the more laidback songs from their last album. Very moving stuff.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:32 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:I recommend it. The album doesn't quite reach SR's intensity (although the live performance DEFINATELY does) but it's a very beautiful album.

That's cool to know. I don't think they ever depended on the sheer weight and force they could put into their songs, though they're extremely skilful in making their music sound powerful without being forced. I particularly enjoy the more laidback songs from their last album. Very moving stuff.

Ah true. They can definately go both ways.
Untitled #8 is my favourite song though. It is devastating.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Essah

Postby Essah » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

http://vimeo.com/3987450
beautiful video and good song.

EDIT:
Just bought the album Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust where Gobbledigook is on. I'm loving the entire album already.

EDIT II:
GO is now also a part of the collection.... think i've got pretty much all the studio albums now :D

Return to “Music”