The Pillows

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Benitosimies

The Pillows

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Makes me feel like I should be catching pokemon. It's a good day for it too. Everything's a salt-blasted white winter sunshine wasteland.

But yeah this is basically music for pokemasters.
хлэб и Воля

cypherspace

Re: The Pillows

Postby cypherspace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

The Pillows do the greatest, catchiest, rockingest soundtrack to the greatest anime series ever and they make you feel like playing Pokémon?

Shame on you.

But God I love them.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

You can catch pokemon on a vespa if you want to but it is still pokemusic.
хлэб и Воля

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 am UTC

Ah, FLCL! Insanity on wheels, but the music was great. The only anime that (in my opinion) does music better is Cowboy Bebop.

Love the Pillows, but they have a lot of songs that I absolutely loathe (and of course, songs that I absolutely love as well).

Pokemon music? Seriously? I don't know what you think Pokemon music is, but the Pillows? :shock:
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Actually FLCL albums in a way are the Pillow's Best of Picks. However the other thing about them is the fact that a good portion of their songs aren't the originals they made. Like Advice has a solo ver. and a vocal version.

Anyways I tired looking up their stuff from 1989 it seems very hard to find.

fukiyo

Postby fukiyo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

The FLCL soundtrack is definetly a a "best of album" but they've been around forever and have so many albums beyond FLCL... Their newest album Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! IMO is excellent. Catchiest song probably being Scarecrow off of that album.

Comparing their old music to their new stuff, unlike most bands that have been around since the 90's their general sound really hasn't changed all that much. I think they've mellowed out their music a bit, but I like the new stuff just as much as the old stuff, really. It's kind of the same with all bands, they do have bad songs, but there's a scattering of good songs in I'd say pretty much every album. One of my main goals in life is to see The Pillows live. At least once. Still angry I couldn't go to their New Year's show. :evil:

My favorite moment in any anime is still during the second episode of FLCL when Canti is on top of the burned schoolhouse and he launches into the air with his wings and halo and Hybrid Rainbow starts playing...shivers every time. I don't know why I love that part so much.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:56 am UTC

Fellow Pillows fans! I have just returned from a Pillows/Noodles concert in NYC. And it was kickass. Many of my favorite songs were played. Energy was high. And now I am super tired, so I'm going to go to bed. But I'll try to post pictures later if I get the time.

Seriously. It was ridiculously awesome.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:38 am UTC

Ah, Pillows are definitely in my top 5 bands. They're one of the few bands whose newer stuff keeps up with the old classics. My Foot was a terrific album. They're one of three Japanese bands I really like, the other two are Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and Maximum the Hormone.

I can't say I feel you on the Pokemon thing, but it's kind of funny you mention that - my band plays the instrumental version of "Advice" (so I have a chance to be a guitar whore) and Dark Cave Slowpoke Well Ice Path from the Pokemon games. The Pokemon music is seriously terrific, I have an hour's worth.

a386

Postby a386 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:29 am UTC

i watched all of FLCL in a streak instead of sleeping two nights ago and it drove me borderline insane, not like Chinese water torture but like a really good book will, where I'm sort of paralyzed in front of the mystery of life. The music i dont think was what left me so awed but i don't think they could have picked a better soundtrack either, i love the pillows. they feel fuzzy and faraway to me, like im listening through static even when i'm not. it's like .. mental static. like they make my blood vessels furry so i move slower. i dont know.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

This thread doesn't have enough arguments going on: Little Busters was way better than Ride on Shooting Star.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

No. I will fight you if you keep on like this. Ride on Shooting Star is, in fact, way better than Little Busters.

But my favorite song by the Pillows is My Foot, by far.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:51 am UTC

I want So Long Universe played at my funeral, both for the obvious relevance of the title and for the sonic qualities.

And Gazelle City is my favorite song of theirs.

Return to “Music”