There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Re: Do you believe ska is dead?

Postby Bobber » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:13 pm UTC

No google searches or Wikipedia entries are able to enlighten me to the illuminated level of knowing what the hell ska is.
Is it some kind of reggae? :?
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

3rd wave ska is what killed ska.

Bobber wrote:Is it some kind of reggae? :?

its actually the predecessor of reggae.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

tylerwylie wrote:If not, it needs to die.

Agreed. A lot of it is annoying and repetative.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

I liked 3rd wave ska, but most of the bands have broken up. It died in the late 90s or early 2000s, I'd say.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

I don't know if the third wave is dead, but I hope not. Reel Big Fish is still going (sort of), and Mustard Plug will never die, although the many other third wave bands kind of faded away.

But it seems that ska has evolved somewhat to a sort of wave 3.5, with bands like Less than Jake and Streetlight Manifesto.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Stief

Postby Stief » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

Strangely, I was (and still am) downloading some Reel Big Fish when I saw this topic :P

But come to think about it...I haven't seen many Ska bands around lately...
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

I believe it's dead in that I no longer care when Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake or Goldfinger (borderline there) put out new music, because their catalog should've been sealed after the third album. They can keep touring, but their new music ceases to apply to my life. Oh, Aquabats!, too. As great as they are, they could totally tour on the strength of their established music and be just fine.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Aleril wrote:
tylerwylie wrote:If not, it needs to die.

Agreed. A lot of it is annoying and repetative.

Pistols at dawn.

I love ska. Streetlight Manifesto is probably one of my favorite bands. I admit though, a lot of the music is changing. Less than Jake is now really pop-ish and the Aquabats are more like nercore now, I still love them. Reel Big Fish is still going really strong, as are the Pietasters, who along with Suburban Legends probably put on one of the best lives show I've seen.

segmentation fault wrote:3rd wave ska is what killed ska.

Not really, without third-wave it never would have been commercially popularized in the US.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:Not really, without third-wave it never would have been commercially popularized within the 14-18 year old demographic in the US.

fixed. during the whole punk era, 1st and 2nd wave ska was just as big, especially bands like The Specials. and their music was better, too.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Ebeth

Postby Ebeth » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Well it's not a big thing any more but i don't think ska will really die as long as there are marching bands. :D Besides, there will always be freaks like me who listen to horribly obscure music and like it.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

violaxcore

Postby violaxcore » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:58 am UTC

Ebeth wrote:Well it's not a big thing any more but i don't think ska will really die as long as there are marching bands. :D

Yeah, pretty much

There are bands like Reel Big Fish, Buck-O-Nine, Big D, Westbound Train, that tend to keep to what I'm used to hearing when it comes to ska.

Then there are bands like Streetlight Manifesto (which has an eastern european tint), Suburban Legends (Disco and Funk), and the aquabats (nerdcore, as said above). And then there's Rx Bandits that moved towards prog-rock. Ska bands are great in that the number of instruments give an added versatility.

Ska shows in general are fun. It's hard not to have fun at a ska show. they tend to all be rather ridiculous. Streetlight fans in particular are crazy. Then again, I live in southern california, the OC in fact, so I'm around more ska bands than people in most other parts of the country

notallama

Postby notallama » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

i was going to see illscarlett next week, so i sure hope it didn't die.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

I went to a Less Than Jake show and didn't have fun, but that has a lot to do with dehydration. Every once in a while I'll hear a new LTJ song and think to myself, "Yep, that sounds like a pretty good Less Than Jake song. Too bad there are way too much LTJ material at this point for me to bother getting back into it.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:
Allium Cepa wrote:Not really, without third-wave it never would have been commercially popularized within the 14-18 year old demographic in the US.

fixed. during the whole punk era, 1st and 2nd wave ska was just as big, especially bands like The Specials. and their music was better, too.

I can't really argue with that considering I'm in that demographic and can't claim to know much about 2nd wave, but from what I heard I enojy third wave more, mostly because I find it much more intense and upbeat.

And as for Less than Jake, when I saw them on the Shout it Loud tour they were my least favorite act. They were doing their "Price is right" show which was just really stupid and took away a lot of time they could have spent playing their classics.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

My town has a huge local ska scene. I know a bunch of people who are in ska bands. I've roadied for some of them. It's great fun.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

a386

Postby a386 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:33 am UTC

i dont think any musical scene really "dies." i mean i guess movements rise and fall but ska is still there, and even if there's not alot of mainstream 3rd wave bands doing anything new with it there's still plenty of people playing it in the little venue down the street. New York i think still has quite a little-band ska scene. as long as those little-bands are playing i don't think anything can "die."

notallama

Postby notallama » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

i just heard the johnstones. friend told me to check them out after seeing them open for hedley.
they're pretty good.

ok?

Postby ok? » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Ska won't be going anywhere as long as punk and hardcore are around to funnel kids into skinhead culture, as long as they dig into their roots instead of just stopping with Agnostic Front, Warzone, the Cro Mags etc. But that is really more focused on earlier ska/reggae greats and newer bands playing more traditional styles. Third wave skacore skapunk, really seemed to be on the way out but there still seems to be a following surprisingly enough, showing up at Aggrolites shows and flailing about wildly.
Go figure.

betsynoire

Postby betsynoire » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:
segmentation fault wrote:
Allium Cepa wrote:
And as for Less than Jake, when I saw them on the Shout it Loud tour they were my least favorite act. They were doing their "Price is right" show which was just really stupid and took away a lot of time they could have spent playing their classics.

Amen. That was retarded. And then they did this thing where basically they had a little dance off, and were talking about how fall out boy or my chemical romance would never do something so awesome, prompting crowd response everytime they named another shitty band.

...guys. We hate them. We like you. That was just stroking yourself.

The Pinstripes out of Cincinnati are an awesome, young band.

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:12 am UTC

It really depends on what you mean by "dead". No longer in mainstream? Yes. Nothing left? No.

3rd wave ska started going back underground just under a decade ago, and now is pretty much solely there.
Odds are I did well on my probability exam.

shaunsta

Postby shaunsta » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

a386 wrote:i dont think any musical scene really "dies." i mean i guess movements rise and fall but ska is still there, and even if there's not alot of mainstream 3rd wave bands doing anything new with it there's still plenty of people playing it in the little venue down the street. New York i think still has quite a little-band ska scene. as long as those little-bands are playing i don't think anything can "die."

I have to agree on this

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:33 am UTC

I am not too into ska, but I borrowed a Catch 22 album from my friend and it was great. Are (were?) they "3rd wave?"
Edit: Punctuation, I had "and it was great?" lol

drop

Postby drop » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Ska is dying a slow death IMO.
There are just few "better known" bands - and these bands release only mediocre material (take Streetlight Manifesto's "Somewhere in between" for example, which did not keep up to the expectations); while the small bands will never reach the mainstream, due to lack of promotion. Frankly speaking I havent heard any new inspiring ska bands recently (perhaps with the exception of "kevin goes 2 college", which is not a new band by any means), and even if a new, or barely known band would release something really, really good, it would take a lof of time since they would get the deserved publicity. Of course we can hope that Mr Kalonky will stop touring and create a new great album, but Im not sure if 1 or 2 bands can help the whole genre (hopfully I'm wrong!).

ICDB wrote:I am not too into ska, but I borrowed a Catch 22 album from my friend and it was great. Are (were?) they "3rd wave?"
Edit: Punctuation, I had "and it was great?" lol

Yes, catch22 are considered 3rd wave ska.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Ska is pretty strong in Latin America and Spain. Also ska-jazz
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

I hate 3rd wave ska.

That being said, where I am (San Diego) there are a ton of local ska bands, some of which are really really good. Most of the bands seem to be going back to 2tone, but faster, there are a few terrible ska-core bands, but those are ignorable. Also, there are a few that get back to 1st wave, which I really like a lot. It's actually a great scene. There are ska concerts at least twice a month here. So really, in San Diego, ska is quite the opposite of dead. Hasn't sold out, and there are tons of bands. For anyone who lives in San Diego, The Skank Agents, Dr. Skavra, The Amalgamated, Bucket of Fish, The Hi-Lites (only now they disbanded, and the lead guy is making the "Ska-volutionary Jamaican Ska Orchestra), Mike Pinto (LA, but he has shows here fairly often), The Fabulous Rudies are okay, I actually know some of the people in Shame and Skandal.

http://www.myspace.com/skankoutwithyoursteakout will link you to pretty much all of the San Diego ska bands.

And yeah, Aquabats need to play more ska and less alternative. Seen them twice now. I also saw the Toasters, who were good. We have this ridiculous venue (SOMA), which is like the only place people under 18 (me) can go to a large venue. It has terrible ventilation, mediocre acoustics, and smells terrible, but has the funnest concerts ever.

a386

Postby a386 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:33 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Ska is pretty strong in Latin America and Spain. Also ska-jazz

one time, i heard the New York Ska Jazz Ensemble on some internet radio station and i really liked it, but never quite found anything that was too much like it. is this a whole genre that i have yet to plumb? i may find some casual enjoyment there.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

a386 wrote:one time, i heard the New York Ska Jazz Ensemble on some internet radio station and i really liked it, but never quite found anything that was too much like it. is this a whole genre that i have yet to plumb? i may find some casual enjoyment there.

Quite. There's the Tokyo Ska Paradise, the Rotterdam ska-jazz Foundation, Bareto (really good peruvian ska-reggae-jazz-cumbia band), Skalariak (I don't know if they qualify as ska-jazz though) and more. The New York Ska Jazz Ensemble is pretty good.

Edit: also why do most ska bands have funny names?
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Julien

Postby Julien » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

As long as there is at least ONE person who does this music, then it's not dead. Who needs his/her favourite musical genre to be fashionable ? Even if ska were completely underground, then you could enjoy it as well...
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

a386

Postby a386 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

underground IS fashionable! "i liked less than jake after they were cool."

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:51 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Edit: also why do most ska bands have funny names?

Most of the third-wave bands have relatively normal names, but it seems that the older bands made it their goal in life to include the word ska in both their band names and song titles. Case and point: The Skatalites.

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 am UTC

drop wrote:There are just few "better known" bands - and these bands release only mediocre material (take Streetlight Manifesto's "Somewhere in between" for example, which did not keep up to the expectations);

Personally I loved SITB. No streetlight album will ever live up to a lot of peoples expectations. Thomas Kalnoky was too good too soon, he wrote Keasby Nights in high school and it came out when he was still only 18 and that pretty much put the bar of what was expected from him impossibly high because an album like that is once in a lifetime for a musician.

veridical

Postby veridical » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

I think ska is still alive and well. Saw Reel Big Fish and Streetlight last summer, and they each put on really great shows. Not to mention Leftover Crack is still keeping shit rocking up in NYC.
All hail the atheist.

drop

Postby drop » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

Stabable Offense wrote:
drop wrote:There are just few "better known" bands - and these bands release only mediocre material (take Streetlight Manifesto's "Somewhere in between" for example, which did not keep up to the expectations);

Personally I loved SITB. No streetlight album will ever live up to a lot of peoples expectations. Thomas Kalnoky was too good too soon, he wrote Keasby Nights in high school and it came out when he was still only 18 and that pretty much put the bar of what was expected from him impossibly high because an album like that is once in a lifetime for a musician.

I hope you are not right :-)

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Most definitely not dead. Actually just went to a ska show last night, saw one of my favorite bands (Westbound Train), and saw a lot of bands whose music I had only heard on compilations/radio shows (King Djanga, the Allstonians, Mrs. Skanatto). Found a couple of new bands (Royal City Riot, the Blue Beats), picked up some CDs, danced my fool head off, had a ridiculous good time.
Ska is also one of the scenes where it's not unusual to have the crowd (at an all ages venue) run from 14 to 50 (if not more) with everyone dancing (occasionally skanking) and having a great time. As long as there are bands touring, and putting out CDs, ska won't die — it's been around in one form or another since the 60s.
And there's so much more out there than Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish — although RBF played campus back in September and they put on an amazing & super fun live show. Someone already mentioned the Toasters, who are still putting out amazing records and touring (saw them in November, after 25 years they still have it), and both the Pietasters and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones just put out new records, Deal's Gone Bad plays in/around Chicago all the time, the Slackers play in NY, I know a lot of cities have local scenes, the English Beat just toured last year, there's a lot out there, it's just not what passes for "mainstream" music.
For anyone looking to get into ska/see what's out there now, check out JumpUp! or Stubborn Records. Pick up some compilations, see what you like, and go from there.

Return to “Music”