Trumpet Mutes

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Durandal

Trumpet Mutes

Postby Durandal » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

1hitcombo

Re: Trumpet Mutes

Postby 1hitcombo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:06 am UTC

I think it might be a harmonic mute I'm not too sure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EQmmUBXozTE

not the best trumpet playing, but it's the only thing that came up when i searched trumpet harmonic mute. it gets the idea across though.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

go to the music store and ask around, the harmonic might work but I know theres one that comes in two parts that works really well..

I work for the coast guard recruit training band, and it seems to me like we have the mute, its used in sleigh ride...

*edited to say: I remember now, it is harmonic, but most people call them "harmon" mutes, don't ask me why, thats what I've always heard them called.
To exist is to resist.

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 am UTC

Def. harmon mute, probably with the stem in if I recall correctly.

[EDIT] The two-part mute is a harmon mute--the stem goes in the middle and can be removed. Sorry about that. ;P
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

a386

Postby a386 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:07 am UTC

harmon isn't short for harmonic. The thing's actually called a Wow-Wow mute, but usually it's called a harmon mute because it was initially introduced by Harmon, the company. it's like frisbee.

if you're looking to buy someone one you could get a gen-u-ine bonafide Harmon one here or you could get this thing that's kind of an alteration that i like called a bubble mute. these sound less clear than a regular harmon and .. buzzy-er, like a component of them is rattling around really really fast and making a kind of buzz vibration. i love them to death. they still have the stem you could put in and go wah-wah with though. some people call these harmons, too.
EDIT: a second after posting that i followed some links on musiciansfriend and those are called ball mutes, too.

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:39 am UTC

^^ or "wah-wah", too. (Just a spelling variation.) And yes Harmon is a brand name but a lot of people still use it as a style name too.

I think some people confuse wah-wah mutes with plunger mutes or derby mutes as well, just a warning (for the OP).
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

Return to “Music”