Radiothread

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Re: Radiothread

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

davef wrote:Wow, were you listening to it for the first time, Mathmagic? It's been rocking my world for the last thirteen years!

Well before I started listening to The Bends, I only had in my possession OK Computer, and In Rainbows. Neither were very "rockish" (usually the way I like my music :) ), and I felt like it wasn't offering all I wanted from Radiohead. Then I found out about The Bends thanks to reading this thread (I had wanted to get some more Radiohead, but I just didn't know where to start), and I found exactly what was missing from the other albums.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Another convert!

The Bends is the best album to start out on, because it's cerebral rock with tuneful melodies and memorable refrains. It is also the most accessible, as it's chiefly guitar based, with some solid rock
Pablo Honey is, on the whole, mediocre post-punk 90s melodorock angst. It's only really for completists and anyone who likes Creep.
OK Computer is sublime.
Kid A is the most difficult album to hear, ever. Even more than those prog-rock epics of the late 70s. It takes a hefty amount of determination, but there will be that click at some point. Probably months after first hearing. I have some Q magazines from the dawn of the millennium and there were months and months of "Kid A: Awesome!/Suck!" debates in the letters page.
Amnesiac is a throwback from the Kid A sessions. It has some better songs, but it has some real junk in there too. The album seems a hotchpotch of well-formed ideas with half-baked execution. I Might Be Wrong, Pyramid Song, Knives Out and Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors being the exception. You and Whose Army? may have been the greatest song of all time with a little more love devoted to its production
I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings is worth it for the beautiful True Love Waits. And creepy album artwork.
Hail to the Thief: Some exceptional songs in this album, but never quite created the stir expected from the hype. There were more column inches about it being leaked online than the actual release of the album. There There/Go To Sleep are classics. Otherwise, it's standard Radiohead-return-to-real-instruments-but-only-partly fare, which is excellent, but still a disappointment.
The Eraser: Would be so much better if it was actually a Radiohead album. Incomplete and gathering dust on many shelves.
In Rainbows: Sweet, beautiful and melodic. The Reckoner is the best song written this millennium so far. Even if we are only 0.8% through it. The album appears to have some kind of cogent structure. It begins harsh and vitriolic before settling onto a peaceful plateau of melody, around Big Ideas/Your Home Is At Risk If You Do Not Keep Up Repayments/Nude. Most songs are outstanding, but don't compare to OK Computer.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Like I said, it took me over a year of occasionally giving Kid A a chance before it clicked for me. I love it, though.
Also, a little bit of love for Pablo Honey: "Anyone Can Play Guitar" and "Killer Cars" are among my favourite Radiohead cuts.
So what about EPs & singles? You know there are plenty. I made two full discs of b-sides for the Girl a while back, some of which are truly kickin'. I'm about to go to lunch or I'd mention some of my favourites. OKay, fine, "Palo Alto" (originally titled "OK Computer." Yay trivia!!)
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

I just listened to In Rainbows again. Fucking hell, it's a great piece of work.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:10 am UTC

the reckoner? i dunno if i'd call it the best. Cause.. house of cards... fifteen step... videotape... videotape.. videotape. i've seen that song bring people to tears.
uhhhh fuck.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:39 am UTC

Goddammit why is Creep such a depressing song?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Peregrin

Postby Peregrin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Has anyone mentioned "Optimistic" from Kid A yet? That was my first favorite Radiohead song, and still is to some extent, although now I have several favorite songs (because you can't pick just one).

My favorite album is probably OK Computer, although In Rainbows came close. To me, they're both the perfect blend of conventional music traditions and the unique sound of albums like Kid A. The Bends didn't do as much for me in terms of presenting something I had never heard before, but I still liked the album. I would also like to put in a good word for a couple songs on Hail to the Thief: "2+2=5," "Sit Down/Stand Up," and "Wolf at the Door."

Apart from the amazing music, I also like Radiohead's choice of lyrics and song titles. If wikipedia is to believed, they reference two of my favorite authors, along with a couple of societal flaws that I feel the same about ("kicking, screaming, Gucci little piggy," anyone?).

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

I'm not here. This isn't happening.

Haunting.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

I have always found Paranoid Android to be my favorite in terms of rocking, and Everything In It's Right Place in terms of experimental electronica.

I still dont know why a lot of people dont like Pablo Honey...

You're so fucking special.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

My Girl & I were jokingly discussing the idea of doing a wedding video just so we could be the one couple in the whole damn state of Utah to do so without using country music, and toying with what music we could use. Among my first thoughts of Radiohead songs were "Anyone Can Play Guitar" and "Killer Cars." I'm not sure why. My choices for an all-Radiohead video were (following the format of Girl's sister's wedding video, which we'd just seen) "Karma Police" for a photo montage of her growing up, "Kid A" for a photo montage of me growing up, and "A Punchup at a Wedding (No. No. No. No. No.)" for a montage of us bein' cutesy together & whatnot.
And some old pictures.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:My choices for an all-Radiohead video were (following the format of Girl's sister's wedding video, which we'd just seen) "Karma Police" for a photo montage of her growing up, "Kid A" for a photo montage of me growing up, and "A Punchup at a Wedding (No. No. No. No. No.)" for a montage of us bein' cutesy together & whatnot.

Followed by "All I Need" in the lapdance scene... (seriously, it would work so well :) )

And before you kill me, I'm getting married too, and I'm only joking ;)
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:51 am UTC

"Videotape" for the death scene?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

rob insurgent

Postby rob insurgent » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

boring and irrelevant to me

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:boring and irrelevant to me

Radiohead? Radiothread? The wedding video? What?
You sort of have to elaborate on these kind of things, otherwise people are just going to think you're only posting redundant replies to get a rise out of them.
INTERNET has a word for that, and it rhymes with swiss role.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:Living is boring and irrelevant to me

I think that is what he ment. And if his was talking about Radiohead, same thing really.

I have always seen Radiohead as 2 sides: One, their experimental electronica side which opened up later in their carrer with Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief and some of In Rainbows and two, their rock side with their earlier stuff like The Bends and Pablo Honey and how they are able to mix them in some songs so very well.

rob insurgent

Postby rob insurgent » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:17 am UTC

yeah i'm a huge troll cause i'm the dissenting voice in a thread full of radiohead dicksucking.

i'd much rather go see a band play in a record store or some dudes house or a basement and be squished right up against the bands and get to scream into the singer's mic if a feel like it and then talk to the whole band and drink a beer with them afterwards because they are normal people and not some douchebag with bodyguards and meandering electronic side projects.

as i said in my original post, it bores me and is irrelevant.

are you aware of this?

as for which bands cost only a few bucks to see, uhh... pick up an issue of maximum rock'n'roll or something.

and i didn't say anything about being mainstream, mainstream doesnt indicate high show prices.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 am UTC

I love Radiohead immensely, and have ever since I was 15 and scoffed at some cute co-worker for wearing brand-name shoes and owning an iPod. I assumed he only listened to mainstream, but eventually (because he was cute) listened to OK Computer and it was amazing.

Fitter Better Happier is a beautiful song, even though it's not traditional. It makes me think. I love how Radiohead is constantly experimenting and never truly becoming what I would define as "mainstream," although many people have heard of them.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:yeah i'm a huge troll cause i'm the dissenting voice in a thread full of radiohead dicksucking.

There's nothing dissenting about treating fans as morons with a hostile tone. It goes against the vibe of the thread. My opening post clearly suggests its a decent discussion about what makes Radiohead a good or bad band. There's been nobody suggesting fans are idiots and non-fans are ignorant. Complaining about ticket prices is irrelevant. They are popular musicians and have no part in ticket pricing. Calling us dicksuckers is just outright rudeness, and proclaiming yourself as a dissenter is, at best, rather petty.

It's fine if you dislike Radiohead. We won't launch on some diatribe and scream bloody murder for you saying so. I encourage your opinion. But you don't have an opinion about the music it seems. You just want to taunt the fans, who, so far, have made up 99% of this civilised discussion.

if I summarise your posts, I end up with:
Radiohead are, in my opinion, boring and irrelevant. I detest the fact a lot of people pay money to see their concerts; how dare they enjoy being in a large crowd of people? I'll juxtapose this with my own experiences of less crowded, less expensive gigs, giving the impression that a music fan cannot, in fact, do both things. (If you have seen Radiohead in concert, you clearly have a.) never paid $3 to see another band at a local venue, and b.) never heard of other music). The only thing I have against the actual music is I consider it 'meandering electronic side projects'.

So the only line of that précis that is actually relevant is that last line. If you had simply entered the discussion with that opinion, and not been so hostile, then perhaps a good-natured discussion could have been created. Hell, we could have entered a discourse on the annoyance of high ticket prices, at which point Cypherspace and I could have gloated about the excellence of Glastonbury, and also the fact I saw them for free on Later... with Jools Holland, even managing to spill a drink on Paul Weller's shoe. I might have even said "hey, I've paid £0.00 to see four or five excellent upcoming bands nearly every goddamned week at my local... and I'd still buy a ticket for Radiohead, because I think it's worth it!"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

...So anyway, there was an EP Radiohead released around Pablo Honey. I'm just trying to figure out which one...

...some idle Wikipeejing later...

I think it was Itch, because that one was released in Japan, and my cellmate had got his filthy mitts on it. Anyway, he remarked how most of the songs were the same four chords rearranged. I was impressed. If I had a bit more time, I'd go onto a generic guitar-tabs and prove him right. Or wrong.

"Stop Whispering" (US Version)
"Thinking About You"
"Faithless, the Wonder Boy"
"Banana Co."

I think were the four. Will check that out later, unless any bedroom guitarists want to verify this claim.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Okay, I just removed a bunch of trolling and such. Which was annoying. I don't like being annoyed.

Saying a band sucks and giving reasons as to why a band sucks is encouraged. Saying a band sucks and saying nothing else is trolling.

Please note the difference.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:58 am UTC

I have a disgusting amount of Radiohead in my collection, thanks to my acquisition of a certain "Towering Above the Rest" collection a few years ago. My favourite songs however tend to be the lesser known...the early, acoustic Motion Picture Soundtrack pains me with its sentiment and simplicity, True Love Waits is a masterpiece, of course, and really anything acoustic and Radiohead is going to win favour with me. That said, they manipulate music beautifully, and some of their orchestration is nothing but genius...the trumpets in Spinning Plates are a work of art...and Reckoner was one of my favourite songs of last year. Yes, I would have Thom Yorke's lazy eyed children.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Angelene wrote:I have a disgusting amount of Radiohead in my collection, thanks to my acquisition of a certain "Towering Above the Rest" collection a few years ago. My favourite songs however tend to be the lesser known...the early, acoustic Motion Picture Soundtrack pains me with its sentiment and simplicity, True Love Waits is a masterpiece, of course, and really anything acoustic and Radiohead is going to win favour with me. That said, they manipulate music beautifully, and some of their orchestration is nothing but genius...the trumpets in Spinning Plates are a work of art...and Reckoner was one of my favourite songs of last year. Yes, I would have Thom Yorke's lazy eyed children.

Ooo... could you send some of that lesser known stuff my way please?

Me wanty =3

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Also, did anyone see/hear this?

I didn't, because I was watching something on BBCFour with Sean Lock.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Thank you for that. I always thought Videotape was one of the weaker songs on In Rainbows. I had a chat with a girl whose musical appreciation surpasses Moses, St. John the Baptist and Fatimah combined. (She was also a DJ on Boston College's WZBC ('Karmic Sunrise' or something)). She's seen Radiohead numpteen times and was highly excited for In Rainbows, solely for their live rendition of videotape, and she was so disappointed with the album version. I always thought it would be one of those 'ah, well, it'll grow on me' tracks that Radiohead do so well, but I haven't listened to it enough for that to happen just yet.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:37 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I always thought it would be one of those 'ah, well, it'll grow on me' tracks that Radiohead do so well, but I haven't listened to it enough for that to happen just yet.

I definitely found that Videotape was one of those that grew on me a lot over time, and it is one of my favorites from that album (but so are all the others, so...).

So I was listening to OK Computer, and I hit the album. I noticed the ending note is one fading triangle note. I have noticed this before, but never thought about it; doe sit bug anyone else that the entire album builds up to this one triangle, and almost feel a little disappointed at the ending? Not to say it isn't an amazing album, but the last note always bugged me.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Having recently listened to OK Computer for the first time, I have to say "Fitter Happier" is one of the scariest things I've ever heard. The way the lyrics suddenly turn menacing toward the end while the voice retains its strangely desperate monotone... chilling.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

Aglet wrote:Having recently listened to OK Computer for the first time, I have to say "Fitter Happier" is one of the scariest things I've ever heard. The way the lyrics suddenly turn menacing toward the end while the voice retains its strangely desperate monotone... chilling.

Yeah, it sounds like something GLaDOS would say

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:47 am UTC

nyeguy wrote:So I was listening to OK Computer, and I hit the album. I noticed the ending note is one fading triangle note. I have noticed this before, but never thought about it; doe sit bug anyone else that the entire album builds up to this one triangle, and almost feel a little disappointed at the ending? Not to say it isn't an amazing album, but the last note always bugged me.
A book I recently read, Welcome to the Machine: OK Computer and the Demise of the Classic Album, devotes a good portion of the chapter on "The Tourist" to that very triangle. To be honest, I never noticed it before I read the book. "The Tourist" always just seemed like an aftershock to "Lucky" anyway, and I never paid it a heap of attention. Which is a shame.

Also, may I say this? Rob Insurgent is so punk rock!!
And some old pictures.

anterovipunen

Postby anterovipunen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:I don't consider Radiohead to have a "peak" really - they have just constantly evolved over the last fifteen years, changing their sound in a way that I don't think is matched by any other band.

OK computer was definately their peak, i dont think rainbows and thief have lived up to expectation.... the fact that they deliberately go off in a completely new direction every couple of albums i dont really see as important, its the quality of what they produce and i think its dropped... ok computer and the bends are two of my favourite albums of all time but a new radiohead album doesnt excite me any more..... wheras a RHCP album who have also changed their sound over about 20 years fucking does!
Last edited by anterovipunen on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

I'm going to be honest, I've been giving Hail to the Thief a really proper listen for the first time these last few days. I'd heard it, but not given it a lot of direct attention. Now I can understand the generally tepid reviews it gets, I've been back & forth between completely enamored and a little let down. I think, I dunno. Alls I know is "A Wolf At the Door (It Girl. Rag Doll.)" is freaking amazing. "There, There (The Bony King of Nowhere.)" has grown less appealing as time has passed. Blah blah blah.

Edit: Regarding these alleged "meandering electronic side projects," I found The Eraser to be much more focused than Amnesiac. That statement isn't really directed at rob insurgent, as he doesn't seem to care much for the band anyhow, but meant generally. I really like The Eraser and was chuffed to hear "Analyse" play over the end credits of The Prestige.
And some old pictures.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Not to rag on Radiohead at all (I would never do that) but doesn't Thom look like a crazy autistic kid when he sings in some of their music videos?

It's strangely appealing.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 am UTC

Aleril wrote:
Aglet wrote:Having recently listened to OK Computer for the first time, I have to say "Fitter Happier" is one of the scariest things I've ever heard. The way the lyrics suddenly turn menacing toward the end while the voice retains its strangely desperate monotone... chilling.

Yeah, it sounds like something GLaDOS Stephen Hawking would say

Triangle note? hmm, interesting.

anterovipunen wrote:OK computer was definately their peak, i dont think rainbows and thief have lived up to expectation.... the fact that they deliberately go off in a completely new direction every couple of albums i dont really see as important, its the quality of what they produce and i think its dropped... ok computer and the bends are two of my favourite albums of all time but a new radiohead album doesnt excite me any more..... wheras a RHCP album who have also changed their sound over about 20 years fucking does!

why? How did they change their sound, apart from get more boring? Compared to a band like Thee Silver Mt. Zion (as an example), how has their sound changed? *facedesk*

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Kid A is the most difficult album to hear, ever.

More so than Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica? :shock:

--
Here's the order I got into Radiohead:

Early 2005: Borrowed OK Computer from the library. My initial opinion of it was that I liked its singles, but on the other tracks, although I liked the instrumental melodies, I wasn't keen on Thom Yorke's voice. :roll:

Late 2006: Purely by chance, someone left a copy of The Bends in the my mum's friend's pub, and when no-one came to ask about their lost property, he gave it to me. :) Now this I found much more accessible. I later checked out OK Computer again and this time appreciated it much more.

Later trips to the library allowed me to hear their other albums (strangely they have more than one copy of I Might Be Wrong, but none of Pablo Honey). Kid A did take me a number of listens to get into, although somehow not as many as Hail to the Thief, which is ostensibly the more accessible of the two. I really don't get much of the hate for HTTT - yes, I suppose "We Suck Young Blood" slows the pace right down (though I kinda like it), but it does have some brilliant songs on it: "Wolf At The Door" is definitely one of my favourites by the band.

(Oh, and I should point out that even though I haven't bothered with the subtitles for the HTTT songs in this post, I can assure you that they are in my MP3 tags. :mrgreen: )

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

I've been listening to The Eraser quite a bit these last few days and I really think it's a shame how overlooked it's destined to be. Yeah, the album sounds like a side project, like it's just some stuff to record between Radiohead efforts, but I like the songs. There's a noticeable lack of Phil Selway & Colin Greenwood (the latter has become one of my favourite unsung things about Radiohead), but there's still cool bass bits on "Black Swan." I like it, that's all.
Various Varieties wrote:I suppose "We Suck Young Blood" slows the pace right down (though I kinda like it)
Funny you should phrase it that way. I was on a quest to truly appreciate Hail to the Thief, or at least decide I wasn't thrilled with it, and that first handclap on "We Suck Young Blood" totally shook me. Not to the core, mind, but it grabbed my attention and thrust it back towards the album.
And some old pictures.

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Copying one of Felstaff's prior posts in this thread:

Pablo Honey: Is pretty terrible, but still a bit different than what was coming out at that time. Then again doesn't always mean good. Creep is just about the only song on that album worth listening to, and is really just vaguely poppy and Smithsish.

The Bends: They got better, to the awe of most critics who gave Pablo Honey the large middle finger it so deserved, and they got better in a very large way. High and Dry was big hit, and kind of reflected most of the tone of the rest of the album. Very solemn and perturbed, even in the more rockish moments. Just and Fake Plastic Trees were also delicious and became fan favorites. Acoustic and electronic were in a good balance, which was a good thing, but didn't make an overwhelmingly great album. It's a starter album for those who aren't into the electronica scene, and is decent at very best.

OK Computer: This album was huge. Music critics tripped over their egodongs to give this album a crazy good review. It was overtly electronic, despite still allowing guitars and drums. It had a wealth of musical subtleties that The Bends couldn't have even attempted. It seemed as though Radiohead were improving in huge strides and bounds and getting more innovative at each turn. Jonny Greenwood became an increased presence in the band, which led to much instrumentation in the way of strings and the like. It was a good album, and in hindsight, reflected where they were going next, though no one really guessed it.

Kid A: This is my personal favorite, but I'll try to keep it a bit objective. Beautiful and trendsetting on the one hand, alienating on the other. Instead of the warmer, and more sweet/pretty instrumentation Radiohead had put forth before, they did a complete 180 and opted for more electronic instruments for a desolate and clinical sound. This was in juxtaposition to Yorke's emotive vocals, which led to be an earsore for some.

Amnesiac: This is probably desperately unfair, but imagine Kid A. Then add Miles Davis. You have Amnesiac.

Hail To The Thief: "Dude! Nigel Godrich gave Radiohead their guitars back!" Radiohead came back from their electronic escapades unscathed, and now knowing the new techniques they did, they proceeded to make an album that mixed their more OK Computer, guitar-heavy sound with electronic methods, not the other way around. This really didn't cause much fuss, which is a shame, because it's as good of a Radiohead record as any.

In Rainbows: Very new in terms of Radiohead. It was more overtly romantic and warm than any other record they had made, and was especially surprising seeing as years before, Thom Yorke released The Eraser and Jonny Greenwood Bodysong, both albums that were highly experimental and eerie. This album has most everything you could want from an album. Well, save Jay-Z.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

man, thread necromancy aside, i just wanted to say that I was listening to the complete discography of radiohead (yay bittorrent*) and I have realized.. hail to the thief was way too underrated. I mean everyone LIKED it, but it wasn't the raving bloody amazingnessment that everyone talked about with OK Computer.. and frankly, I think Hail to the Thief is their best. OK Computer was a bit disjointed as an album, comparitively. So my current album order, from best to worst is, Hail to the Thief=>OK Computer=>In Rainbows=>The Bends=>Kid A======>Pablo Honey.
I'm pretty sure There There is my favorite song ever for some reason.
uhhhh fuck.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:50 am UTC

I saw them live in dallas a few months back.

It was sexy, and paranoid android was mind-blowing.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:32 am UTC

If you can't tell, I'm a huge Radiohead fan. And yes, Hail to the Thief is very underrated. We Suck Young Blood (Your Time Is Up) is one of my favorites, just because it's so sinister, menacing, tense, and despondent. The piano crescendo that breaks into frantic key pounding is one of my favorite moments on the album.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:36 am UTC

I saw them live on the first day of Victoria Park. It was fantastic.

Loads of highlights for me, Wierd Fishes was masterful, Just was fantastic, hearing Idioteque live was something i am unlikely to ever forget.

However high point of the experience was undoubtably hearing Reckoner played live. I still maintain its the best song they have ever written.
Last edited by Irrefutable on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One day something wity and original will appear here

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 am UTC

Irrefutable wrote:I still maintain its the best song they have ever written.

I like how the things I agree with are also considered scientific fact.

Return to “Music”