Radiothread

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Irrefutable

Re: Radiothread

Postby Irrefutable » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:02 am UTC

Slightly unrelated but i was just reminded of why i hate youtube on the reckoner comments list.

actresscp (13 hours ago)
As a musician I could throw so much theory on the table that would show mathematically and musically why radiohead's music truly is ingenious.. if I had more than 400 characters :) radiohead's amazing!!! It's a shame people don't understand music enough to realise that. Maybe someday they will :)

slitheringinterstate (10 hours ago)

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH, BROAD! You don't know ANYTHING about music if you think Radiohead and their "Creepy Widow" song is better than Mike & The Mechanics (aka "The Living Years")

...why don't you go back to the KITCHEN and bake some cookies and run the kids to soccer practice WHERE YOU BELONG WOMAN!

How many good FEMALE musicians have their ever been? TWO, AND THAT'S IT (Tiffany and Joan Jett) oooo big deal TWO.

Why don't you go have Shark Week and complain about men?
One day something wity and original will appear here

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

Just caught them at Lolla.

Mind = Blown.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

Yes, I feel happy when someone agrees with me that the YouTube discussions are an abomination upon humanity.

I mean, who the HELL forgets Björk, which makes THREE good female musicians in history?

( :) )

Blast

Postby Blast » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Yes, I feel happy when someone agrees with me that the YouTube discussions are an abomination upon humanity.

Slight tangent: My favorite bit of the "Super Mario Bros. frustration" video is the guy saying "This is worse than youtube comments." I throw that around when I find myself in deplorable circumstances, like should friends decide to eat at TGIFriday's or Applebee's and play Nickelback's greatest hits on the way there.

On topic: my girlfriend and I both love Radiohead, and when I pay her for the bills I write Radiohead lyrics in the memo line. I nth the love for Reckoner and I'm disappointed that Bodysnatchers (good song, but not the best from the album) is the only single I've heard as a single, not Reckoner or Weird Fishes (or Nude or ___).
Thom Yorke wrote:I was pissed in a club, and I suddenly had the funniest thought I'd had for ages - what if all the people who were drinking were hanging from the bottles... if the bottles were hung from the ceiling with string, and the floor caved in, and the only thing that kept everyone up was the bottles? It's also about an enormous fear of being trapped.

This made Let Down one of my favorite songs ever.
My name is Vadinho. I'm an onion.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Not many people can use the theremin or ondes Martenot with any degree of awesomeness, but they can.
That should tell you enough about em right there.

I like most of their albums but I think The Bends is the best. Just(do it to yourself) is probably my favorite radiohead song and if you haven't seen it the music video, it's great as well.
Something about Street Spirits(fade out) being so simple and yet so engaging boggles my mind.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

The Bends annoys me for being such a mixed bag; it's quite inconsistent and I could never bring myself to caring about the two next-to-last tracks. But it does have a couple of fantastic moments in it.

As for OK Computer and Kid A, though, they're pretty much flawless.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:The Bends annoys me for being such a mixed bag; it's quite inconsistent and I could never bring myself to caring about the two next-to-last tracks.

Aww... If you had said the last 2 tracks I would have sang Street Spirit (Fade Out)

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:41 am UTC

Street Spirit is one of the songs that I consider fantastic in that album. :) The others would be Planet Telex, Just and, to a lesser extent, Fake Plastic Trees. Four fantastic track in an album ain't at all bad.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:00 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Street Spirit is one of the songs that I consider fantastic in that album. :) The others would be Planet Telex, Just and, to a lesser extent, Fake Plastic Trees. Four fantastic track in an album ain't at all bad.

Black Star is one of my favorite songs on there, but I didn't feel like singing it.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:48 am UTC

Blast wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Yes, I feel happy when someone agrees with me that the YouTube discussions are an abomination upon humanity.

Slight tangent: My favorite bit of the "Super Mario Bros. frustration" video is the guy saying "This is worse than youtube comments." I throw that around when I find myself in deplorable circumstances, like should friends decide to eat at TGIFriday's or Applebee's and play Nickelback's greatest hits on the way there.

Semi-related:
One of my friends has started to use the phrases, "Man, that was harder than the Water Temple,", and we still refer to getting blindsided by something as a "blue shell".

If Chickens Were Purple...

Postby If Chickens Were Purple... » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:07 am UTC

'Kay, the reason I signed up is that Amnesiac needs some serious defending, and it happens to be my favourite. Nothing anybody says about this album makes sense to me. I've heard people dismiss it as being made of Kid A outtakes; it sounds nothing like Kid A. It's too warm and colourful to resemble any part of that album. "Knives Out" is possibly an exception... but it's not really. I've also heard people call Amnesiac too depressing, but for me it's the most consistently reassuring album of the lot. I guess it's fair to call it paranoid: the way I've always seen it, the singer wants to find pleasure, but he's (overly?) careful not to fall into any traps on the way. Even when it clearly all gets too much for pool li'l Thom in the last track, he still goes down fighting.

I'm willing to admit "Hunting Bears" is pointless and boring, but every other track is gold (I really don't know what they were thinking with "Bears". I guess "Dollars and Cents" is in such a different universe than "Like Spinning Plates", there had to be some way of separating them). And I'd beg any haters of "Like Spinning Plates" to give it another chance, because that chorus is the reason God invented sound. It's the only song ever written truly worthy of the adjective 'piercing'.

Oh yeah, and there are not many Radiohead albums where my enjoyment of every track actually increases when I read the lyrics.

I might be wrong... I might be wrong... but I could've sworn I saw a light come on

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:29 am UTC

I dont realy understand Radiohead, ive been severely under exposed to music so my taste and knowledge is severely limited. However Radiohead is the only band who seams to get incrimentally more awsome the more i listen to it.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Amnesiac has an absolutely fantastic track, one of my favourite songs they ever made: Life in a Glass House. It's stunning in every sense. The rest of the album isn't quite up to that par, but it's quite varied, sparse, interesting and unpredictable. It's quite the contrary to the meticulousness of Kid A (which I love to bits), and I happen to like those "experimental" tracks like Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors, Hunting Bears and Like Spinning Plates (reversed backwards singing! Great stuff).

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I don't really like Radiohead that much. I've listened to four of their albums. (The Bends, OK Computer, Hail To The Thief, and the new one that I forgot the name of.) The only one I really like is The Bends, but I can't really listen to the last few tracks. Hail to the Thief is OK, and Paranoid Android.

So, yeah.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Radiohead takes some listening to. I didnt even like OK Computer when i first listened to it.

If you are willing and have the time, give them another listen but im loathe to advise repeated listenings when it may just be that it isnt a band you are ever going to like.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:07 am UTC

Irrefutable wrote:Radiohead takes some listening to. I didnt even like OK Computer when i first listened to it.

If you are willing and have the time, give them another listen but im loathe to advise repeated listenings when it may just be that it isnt a band you are ever going to like.

I like them, just not really.

This is sort of random but what does Amnesiac sound like (I'm too lazy buy or even pirate it)?
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

kanavazk wrote:This is sort of random but what does Amnesiac sound like (I'm too lazy buy or even pirate it)?

A quite apt description - in my opinion - given by Mark Prindle:

Amnesiac is their weirdest one yet - completely offputting and full of "songs" that seem purposely unfinished, like a work of modern art that is just a bunch of random colors thrown against a canvas. It may look pretty, it may not, it may interest certain people, it may bore others.

It may be off-putting if you can't handle well tracks that seem more like "ideas" rather than "songs", especially when they're quite unrelated to each other - they go from freaked-out repetitive electronica on Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors to the quasi-gospel You and Whose Army?, and then they go from the yearning balladeering of Morning Bell straight into the jazzed-up groovy Dollars and Cents, and finally from the avantgarde-like all-backwards-sounding Like Spinning Places into the cathartic death-jazz of Life in a Glasshouse.

Jackmar

Postby Jackmar » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:So, that Thom Yorke, eh?

This is a lovely little thread designed for Lovers and Haters of Radiohead to discuss why they love and/or hate the biggest band in the world.
Of course, the haters are wrong, and their opinions are factually incorrect, but don't let that stop a frank and honest discussion from developing.

What I found so delightful about Radiohead's peak was the fact that Street Spirit (Fade Out), the last track on The Bends, talks about how "this machine cannot communicate" and shows a general distrust for the inhumanity and fallibility of machinery. This sentiment is echoed throughout pretty much the entirety of OK Computer. But what is so delightful is that, despite all the musings on disequilibrium/dystopian visions/everything falling apart, Kid A begins with the unifying song Everything in its Right Place, so Kid A acts as the denouement to the Orwellian nightmare that was OK Computer, foreshadowed by the Bends. It offers me a sort of catharsis.

Tremendous, I thought that I was the only one who used the word "Orwellian". :wink:
On a more serious note, "Radiohead" should be a core subject in American high schools.

Favorite Songs: It's hard to say, but I think I'll bandwagon up and go with Karma Police. Also, Fog always stood out to me.

Most Detestable Good-Song-That-Turned-Horribly-Cliche: Creep, 'nuff said.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 am UTC

So, hermaj told me radiohead are good, and she was right.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

I had the chance to see Radiohead tonight for $80, but I turned it down because I want to save money and I have to work tomorrow. Good decision? Bad decision?

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Bad decision. If there is a choice, always choose the path that involves seeing Radiohead.

Slightly off-topic: Has anyone else heard Christopher O'Riley's piano cover album?
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Sjonyonye

Postby Sjonyonye » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Christ Almighty! I paid $200 to go. Generally I'm all for throwing around money to avoid massive feelings of regret, which would have resulted. But as long as you can sleep easy having made that decision...

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Irrefutable wrote:Slightly unrelated but i was just reminded of why i hate youtube on the reckoner comments list.

actresscp (13 hours ago)
As a musician I could throw so much theory on the table that would show mathematically and musically why radiohead's music truly is ingenious.. if I had more than 400 characters :) radiohead's amazing!!! It's a shame people don't understand music enough to realise that. Maybe someday they will :)

slitheringinterstate (10 hours ago)

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH, BROAD! You don't know ANYTHING about music if you think Radiohead and their "Creepy Widow" song is better than Mike & The Mechanics (aka "The Living Years")

...why don't you go back to the KITCHEN and bake some cookies and run the kids to soccer practice WHERE YOU BELONG WOMAN!

How many good FEMALE musicians have their ever been? TWO, AND THAT'S IT (Tiffany and Joan Jett) oooo big deal TWO.

Why don't you go have Shark Week and complain about men?

This is why I use Project Playlist for music.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:28 am UTC

No matter what the video, YouTube comments always dissolve into completely unprovoked racial feuds and sexist diatribes.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

At the start of this year, Thom and Ed took over Zane Lowe's BBC Radio 1 show. This is an important show, from 6-9pm. Lots of listeners. Well, they played some friggin' GREAT music - a lot of it is very forward thinking, in particular the "hottest record in the world" choice - Burial.

Commentary
Trackle

Enjoy!

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:40 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I had the chance to see Radiohead tonight for $80, but I turned it down because I want to save money and I have to work tomorrow. Good decision? Bad decision?

What a horrible, tear-jerking decision.
I had a chance to see Radiohead for $400, back in August. Of course, I only had about 36 cents at the time. :cry:

So now, I watch youtube videos of the concert, pretending I'm there.
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!

seladore

Postby seladore » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 am UTC

Turning down seeing Radiohead, at any cost? Bad decision.

I saw Thom and Jonny play an acoustic gig in London... £50 a ticket, and it was the best gig of my life, bar none.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:59 am UTC

Sjonyonye wrote:Christ Almighty! I paid $200 to go. Generally I'm all for throwing around money to avoid massive feelings of regret, which would have resulted. But as long as you can sleep easy having made that decision...

Lollapalooza? Outside Lands?

If Chickens Were Purple...

Postby If Chickens Were Purple... » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:What I found so delightful about Radiohead's peak was the fact that Street Spirit (Fade Out), the last track on The Bends, talks about how "this machine cannot communicate" and shows a general distrust for the inhumanity and fallibility of machinery. This sentiment is echoed throughout pretty much the entirety of OK Computer.

Felstaff, I was listening to OK Computer on the bus today, and it made me think of this thing that you said. It occurred to me that the chorus of the first track ("I'm amazed that I survived / An airbag saved my life") seems like, if you're going to take it as a comment on technology at all, a celebration (and/or showing the fallibility of humans). I know you said it months ago, but do you remember what you actually meant, because the anti-machinery thing sort of makes sense (obviously in the title but the music too), but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Thom Yorke had a car crash, which is where the phobia--rather than disdain--for technology (particularly propulsion technology) comes from. OK Computer is (and sounds like) a commentary on the ubiquity of advanced technology having complete control over much of our lives. Like travel (airbag, lucky, the tourist, let down), advertising (fitter happier), business (paranoid android), domestic life (no surprises), and [possibly?] politics (electioneering). The questioning of the machine's machinations were alluded to in Street Spirit, explored in OK Computer, and Everything in its Right Place was the happy denouement of such an attitude.

...Is what I think I was saying. The airbag might have saved Yorke's life, but getting in the fast German car was the initial risk. It crashed (no control over that) and the airbag was deployed (no control over that) so yeah, his entire life was in the hands of technology. It both put him at risk, and saved him. No wonder he's so distrustful.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

Oh look! It's Harrowdown Hill... from the Latitude festival. There are two other tracks up there, and all of it is on Youtube, obviously.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:16 am UTC

holy necromancy batman.

I don't... really think that sounds great. Maybe thom yorke should stick to fronting radiohead instead of doing a solo project.
uhhhh fuck.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 am UTC

Midnight wrote:holy necromancy batman.

I don't... really think that sounds great. Maybe thom yorke should stick to fronting radiohead instead of doing a solo project.

I thought his solo album was pretty good,and Harrowdown Hill was one of the best songs on it.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:19 am UTC

I thought the Eraser was a passable album, but it felt so incomplete... as if you were waiting for the rest of Radiohead to appear and complete the songs. (doesn't it feel just a bit... empty?)

Anyway, the acoustic version of The Clock was the best thing to come from that. (I'm at work so can't check that URL - will make sure I selected the right video when I get home)
Dream wrote:Oh look! It's Harrowdown Hill... from the Latitude festival.
Rub my face in it, why don't you? I really wanted to go to the Latitude festival this year, after listening to how much sheer brilliance I heard on Radio 3 last year, and I didn't even know Thom Yorke was playing until a few weeks ago. Not going to Latitude has been my biggest and only regret this year. Le sigh.

Also, according to one Judith "Casiguapa" Goldstein, Thom Yorke (not Radiohead) is providing the soundtrack to the new Twilight film. Egads.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:48 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Rub my face in it, why don't you?

Hey, I wanted to go too! But I'm flat broke, so sadly it was not to be. I heard Yorke was going to contribute to the Twilight 2: Ride The Twilightning soundtrack, but I had no idea he might do all of it. It's a confusing idea...

I absolutely love The Eraser. It's really detailed and subtle. There's lots of empty space and sparseness, but the sonic palette suits it, as do the lyrical themes. I'd certainly put it ahead of Hail To The Thief as an album. It's more coherent and listenable. I find Harrowdown Hill very affecting, because to this day I still can't believe the events it's about actually happened. the Latitude version is great because the organ reminds me of Warszawa by Bowie. It also has my favourite music video ever.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

I also really like The Eraser. A few tracks from it are in the film A Scanner Darkly, where they work really well.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:00 am UTC

I agree with Felstaff, on the "waiting for radiohead to come in." It's funny, that way.

I dunno, I liked the Eraser well enough, I mean I ended up buying a vinyl of it, but that live version sounds way more empty than the actual record.
uhhhh fuck.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:20 am UTC

I really enjoy listening to the Eraser. I like how it has this fairly distinct style from the regular Radiohead stuff. And I got really excited when I heard the tail end of a song on the radio the other day.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

There is a new track, "Harry Patch (In Memory Of)" available for download. Link from radiohead.com

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:57 am UTC

D: I don't have a pound to spend on the interwobs.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Return to “Music”