Radiothread

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Radiothread

Postby Felstaff » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:36 am UTC

So, that Thom Yorke, eh?

This is a lovely little thread designed for Lovers and Haters of Radiohead to discuss why they love and/or hate the biggest band in the world.
Of course, the haters are wrong, and their opinions are factually incorrect, but don't let that stop a frank and honest discussion from developing.

What I found so delightful about Radiohead's peak was the fact that Street Spirit (Fade Out), the last track on The Bends, talks about how "this machine cannot communicate" and shows a general distrust for the inhumanity and fallibility of machinery. This sentiment is echoed throughout pretty much the entirety of OK Computer. But what is so delightful is that, despite all the musings on disequilibrium/dystopian visions/everything falling apart, Kid A begins with the unifying song Everything in its Right Place, so Kid A acts as the denouement to the Orwellian nightmare that was OK Computer, foreshadowed by the Bends. It offers me a sort of catharsis.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Aleril
Le Rail

Re: Radiothread

Postby Aleril » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:55 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Of course, the haters are wrong, and their opinions are factually incorrect, but don't let that stop a frank and honest discussion from developing.

You couldn't have said it better.

Also, I lurve Radiohead, mostly Thom's almost melodic voice.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:55 am UTC

a. Whoever named this thread is a genius.
b. Fake Plastic Trees - clichéd pick for best song? Maybe. Awesome song? Yes.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

I don't consider Radiohead to have a "peak" really - they have just constantly evolved over the last fifteen years, changing their sound in a way that I don't think is matched by any other band.

They are also part of the greatest night of my life ever, which was Saturday night at Glastonbury 2003. I saw Jimmy Cliff, Jools Holland, the Polyphonic Spree, Turin Brakes, Supergrass, the Flaming Lips, and finally, Radiohead. It was utterly, absolutely superb. They were magnificent, untouchable. I don't think I have ever had a single moment of more pure happiness than the moment during Fake Plastic Trees when the third verse starts - the stage lit up, the electric guitar entered, Thom wailed at the top of his lungs, and I got shivers down my spine to an extent that had never happened before or since - it was euphoric.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:I don't consider Radiohead to have a "peak" really - they have just constantly evolved over the last fifteen years, changing their sound in a way that I don't think is matched by any other band.

They are also part of the greatest night of my life ever, which was Saturday night at Glastonbury 2003. I saw Jimmy Cliff, Jools Holland, the Polyphonic Spree, Turin Brakes, Supergrass, the Flaming Lips, and finally, Radiohead. It was utterly, absolutely superb. They were magnificent, untouchable. I don't think I have ever had a single moment of more pure happiness than the moment during Fake Plastic Trees when the third verse starts - the stage lit up, the electric guitar entered, Thom wailed at the top of his lungs, and I got shivers down my spine to an extent that had never happened before or since - it was euphoric.

You... you lived my life for one day. Give it back. That was my day.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Was it just a day you wanted to have, or were you there as well?

Oh, also, I forgot that I walked past him at Glastonbury last year. Myself and a couple of friends were walking up to the Acoustic Tent to see someone. My train of thought went like this; "Oh, that man looks a bit like Thom Yorke. Actually he looks a lot like HOLY FUCK HE'S GOT A LAZY EYE IT'S HIM IT'S HIM IT'S REALLY HIM". I just stood there open-mouthed as one of my heroes walked past holding hands with his wife, calling to his daughter not to run off. I looked at both my friends, who were also both standing there staring and realised exactly the same thought had gone through their heads. "Was that.." "yes. Yes it was."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:Was it just a day you wanted to have, or were you there as well?

Oh, also, I forgot that I walked past him at Glastonbury last year. Myself and a couple of friends were walking up to the Acoustic Tent to see someone. My train of thought went like this; "Oh, that man looks a bit like Thom Yorke. Actually he looks a lot like HOLY FUCK HE'S GOT A LAZY EYE IT'S HIM IT'S HIM IT'S REALLY HIM". I just stood there open-mouthed as one of my heroes walked past holding hands with his wife, calling to his daughter not to run off. I looked at both my friends, who were also both standing there staring and realised exactly the same thought had gone through their heads. "Was that.." "yes. Yes it was."

No seriously, are you stealing my life? Or somehow reading my diary? First you go and have the exact same day at Glastonbury as I did in 2003, with the exception of Turin Brakes, then you go and meet Thom Yorke in identical circumstances. ("Hey, that guy looks like Thom... It's him! Oh my God! Let's stand here and look like lemons, and then follow him discreetly") Except this was also Glastonbury 2003 and we finally plucked up the courage to mumble incoherently in his direction. "Great set last night, Thom. really enjoyed it. thanks.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:No seriously, are you stealing my life? Or somehow reading my diary? First you go and have the exact same day at Glastonbury as I did in 2003, with the exception of Turin Brakes, then you go and meet Thom Yorke in identical circumstances.

Heheh, marvellous. Where were you during the set? You don't happen to remember a pigeon and the Hulk on sticks having a fight, do you? Oh, also, wasn't it such a nice day? Did you get that moment during Lucky when he sang "Gonna be a glorious day" and thought "Yes. Yes, it is"?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

The Pigeon/Hulk fight. Gosh. I've seen that damned pigeon at nearly every festival since V2001. It would be strange if it were the same guy every time. Didn't the Hulk manage to knock the pigeon off in the end? Or was it the other way around? I remember there was much rejoicing, and a massive thing about it in the following month's magazines. We were stood about 20 feet directly behind pigeon/hulk/(Spiderman too?), so just a bit in front of the big block of the cameras/speakers/viewing platform they plonk in the middle there. Their performance of Just was really weird and funky. I wasn't too sure about that, but the rest of the set was astrophenomical. I boldened that word because I just made it up, and am feeling rather pleased with myself.

As we parked our tents on the hill overlooking the pyramid stage, we were woken by the Darkness opening the festival at about 10 in the morning. That was the only bad thing that happened at Glastonbury that year. Well, there was other stuff, but that belongs in the confessional thread.

Annoyingly, last year was the first year I didn't get tickets, as I was in New York when they went on sale. This year however, I am going to be determined to beat the internet and get my grubby mitts on those coveted strips of colourful paper.

So yeah, back on Topic. Big thumbs up for Radiohead. For a band that use the studio as an aural laboratory, they don't 'arf perform well live.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

The Pigeon/Hulk fight. Gosh. I've seen that damned pigeon at nearly every festival since V2001. It would be strange if it were the same guy every time. Didn't the Hulk manage to knock the pigeon off in the end? Or was it the other way around? I remember there was much rejoicing, and a massive thing about it in the following month's magazines. We were stood about 20 feet directly behind pigeon/hulk/(Spiderman too?)
So about 10 feet behind me and my friends then, if that. Marvellous! If you remember a chant going up in favour of the pigeon.. I started that. I was hugely chuffed when a large section of the crowd decided they agreed with me. Incidentally the pigeon knocked the Hulk off, then the Hulk cheated and remounted, and knocked the pigeon off. And I think there was a Spiderman, but he didn't turn up until afterwards.

And yes, we'll abandon these recollections now perhaps.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

i approve of this thread, and of radiohead. i have outplayed them over the years, but they still remain one of my favorite bands. when i was doing graphic design in college i made a little story and it had some radiohead bears dancing in space and then playing in the forest. it also had one eating thom yorke
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:35 am UTC

I have the Live in Glastonbury DVD, and it's still one of my favorite discs to spin, including movies. I wish I could have echoed your experiences. The best example I have is glaring at Sean Hannity after running into him near the soda fountain at a company dinner.

Kid A and OK Computer are near-perfect for different reasons. I live for microbeats, so The Bends doesn't quite do it for me, though I recognize it as a great album. Hail to the Thief and Amnesiac are both great, though I don't play them as often.

In Rainbows doesn't feel as significant to me, though, while great.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Who?
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Who?

radiohead. one of the most influential and important music groups in modern music history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiohead
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:40 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:

radiohead. one of the most influential and important music groups in modern music history.

Indeed. My music textbook skips right from The Beatles to Nirvana to Radiohead, as if there wasn't anything in between. . .

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 am UTC

i like them in said order:

Hail to the thief > ok computer > kid A > in rainbows > the bends = everything else...

ionno i like their newer stuff, i guess. But damn ,ok computer is a magnum opus, i'll freely call it their best from a technical... most everyone perspective, but I like hail to the thief.
uhhhh fuck.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Kid A is in the top 5 of this decade so far

The first time I heard the song treefingers was one of the most peaceful moments of my life
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:53 am UTC

I like Radiohead, but not as much as the hype they encompass. I should say though that Thom is a rather interesting chap with rather incredible vocal cords.

They've got some awesome "out-there" ideas, but still always tied down with a pop sensibility, for better or for worse. Now, The Bends and OK Computer are OK albums with some great tracks, but they really shone on Kid A/Amnesiac, where they got truly interesting. But imo, In Rainbows is pretty boring all in all to me; apart from Nude which is one of the most beautiful songs ever.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Despite all the hype, Radiohead still feel personal to me. Maybe it's the fact that I've not actually read any of the hype until recently, or that the band is actually interesting and worth reading about, but the only thing I don't like about how huge Radiohead are is that shows are bound to be huge affairs with ticket prices I don't approve of.
I need to listen to Yorke's The Eraser again. It's a neat little piece. Also, Thom & Björk's duet "I Have Seen it All" is one of the sexiest pieces of music this side of "Talk Show Host."
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

The Eraser is good, but it seems like a half-finished album. Most of the songs feel like skeletons of potentially good songs, rather than full songs in their own right, with the exception of Harrowdown Hill and maybe Black Swan. I'm hoping his next solo album is a bit more polished.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

I don't really care for Radiohead. Maybe I just haven't listened to them enough. But from what I've heard... I'm not really interested in hearing more.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Radiohead are a fantastic, fantastic band, and if you don't like them you don't like music!

In Rainbows is OK Computer, but matured. It is an album that is confident, is comfortable. It sounds like Radiohead, but not any other Radiohead. OK was young, ambitious, and brimming with that genius which make it so memorable, while Rainbows is the product of everything since then: the electric veins of Kid A, the skeleton-melodies and ambience of Amnesiac, and the reluctant return to the mainstream that Hail to the Thief was.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Marlowe wrote:Radiohead are a fantastic, fantastic band, and if you don't like them you don't like music!

Is. Radiohead is a fantastic band.

I'm also pretty sure that I like music.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:47 am UTC

ST, I'm going to be optimistic and figure that you don't like Radiohead yet.
And some old pictures.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I don't really care for Radiohead. Maybe I just haven't listened to them enough. But from what I've heard... I'm not really interested in hearing more.

I thought that too when I first heard them, but then they really started growing on me. You really have to listen to their albums a couple of times to get into them. I know how totally music critic elitist that sounds, but it's true.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:
scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:

Indeed. My music textbook skips right from The Beatles to Nirvana to Radiohead, as if there wasn't anything in between. . .

Pixies. There is Pixies. And Wire. *Smacks you round the face*

EDIT: Joy Division, The Fall, Gang of Four (who fairly obviously influenced iForward, Russia! and the Futureheads). Frankly, I find Radiohead a little pretentious.
Last edited by no-genius on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Aglet wrote:I thought that too when I first heard them, but then they really started growing on me. You really have to listen to their albums a couple of times to get into them. I know how totally music critic elitist that sounds, but it's true.
In high school I progressed from "Oh, I'm in high school and I'm sad and 'Creep' really speaks to me" to "Hey, OK Computer is a pretty kickin' album" to "Why are half the songs on Kid A instrumentals? What the tar?" I kinda disliked Kid A for a long time, thought it was a terrible waste of time and it was a long time before I even figured out that there's only one instrumental on the thing. And now it might be my favourite Radiohead album.
And some old pictures.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Aglet wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:I don't really care for Radiohead. Maybe I just haven't listened to them enough. But from what I've heard... I'm not really interested in hearing more.

I thought that too when I first heard them, but then they really started growing on me. You really have to listen to their albums a couple of times to get into them. I know how totally music critic elitist that sounds, but it's true.
Attachments
ninjad.JPG
Courtesy of our resident Master of Baking
ninjad.JPG (70.03 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

Personally i just like listening to albums which arnt listened to much or are disliked more (Hail to the Theif and Kid A are my favorite albums atm) just so i can sneer at people.

Also any nominations for best songs?

I cant pick my favorite but Climb Up The walls, Paranoid Android, Fake Plastic Trees, Reckoner and 2+2=5 would be up there for me.

Also Idioteque is great :) cant say im partial to alot of the rest of the album
One day something wity and original will appear here

1hitcombo

Postby 1hitcombo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Anybody going to go see them in May?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:36 am UTC

I am going to see them when they headline Lolla along with NIN, then another time in San Fran on their In Rainbows tour.

WOOT

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:34 am UTC

I'm a big fan of Radiohead (used to be to the point of obsession, but that sillyness has faded away now). It intrigues me how they change the sound of an album, artisticly, but still retain their Radiohead-ness. This miiiight just be Thom's voice though.

OK Computer is my fave album. I think the reason it always seem to hit the 'Top Album of Blah de Blah' type lists (in the UK anyway, at least), is that the album does capture an essence of modern alienation pretty well.

Irrefutable wrote:
Also any nominations for best songs?

I cant pick my favorite but Climb Up The walls, Paranoid Android, Fake Plastic Trees, Reckoner and 2+2=5 would be up there for me.

Also Idioteque is great :) cant say im partial to alot of the rest of the album

Paranoid Android is brilliant. It's perfect to listen to on those skewy, 'why does everything feel so out of place' days. Some may argue that is every day. I'd also agree with 2+2=5 and Climbing Up The Walls - a song which scares me slightly. My Iron Lung, The National Anthem, Go To Sleep, Knives Out and Ripcord are personal favourites of mine.
i dare you to take me on...

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Im going to see them in Victoria Park and then run off in the morning to Glasto :) should be fantastic
One day something wity and original will appear here

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:49 am UTC

I'm hopefully going to see them in St. Louis on May 14th. I have tickets so now i'm just waiting to see if my probation officer will let me out of the state. Damn you marijuana possesion convictions, damn you.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:27 am UTC

You know, I love that Radiohead reinvents themselves with (almost) every album, but it's a shame, because The Bends is about the closest thing to a perfect album ever made. OK Computer is great, don't get me wrong, but what we need is a band (it doesn't even have to be Radiohead) that consistently puts out the sort of transcendental rock that was The Bends.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:11 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Marlowe wrote:Radiohead are a fantastic, fantastic band, and if you don't like them you don't like music!

In British English, groups are used as plural, so Radiohead, being made of multiple people, uses "are."

Aglet wrote:You know, I love that Radiohead reinvents themselves with (almost) every album, but it's a shame, because The Bends is about the closest thing to a perfect album ever made. OK Computer is great, don't get me wrong, but what we need is a band (it doesn't even have to be Radiohead) that consistently puts out the sort of transcendental rock that was The Bends.

I know how you feel. It seems among Radiohead fans that The Bends gets ignored a lot. I hear a lot of people say it is too popish, but I love it. It is one of, if not my favorite Radiohead album. However, I must say that Kid A never clicked with me. I can see the genius in it, but I just never really got into it.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

nyeguy wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
In British English, groups are used as plural, so Radiohead, being made of multiple people, uses "are."
Aglet wrote:You know, I love that Radiohead reinvents themselves with (almost) every album, but it's a shame, because The Bends is about the closest thing to a perfect album ever made. OK Computer is great, don't get me wrong, but what we need is a band (it doesn't even have to be Radiohead) that consistently puts out the sort of transcendental rock that was The Bends.
I know how you feel. It seems among Radiohead fans that The Bends gets ignored a lot. I hear a lot of people say it is too popish, but I love it. It is one of, if not my favorite Radiohead album. However, I must say that Kid A never clicked with me. I can see the genius in it, but I just never really got into it.

I know it's frowned upon here, but QFmotherfuckingT. Every last word. And you're a Queen fan, too. Have several cookies.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:17 am UTC

You should start getting Kid A to click with you. I'm a-gonna wait here until I hear said click.

Get clicking.

...rats and children follow me out of town...

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:49 am UTC

After listening to The Bends multiple times, I must agree with the previous posters and say that The Bends is the best I've heard from Radiohead, and rock in general, in a long long time.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

Wow, were you listening to it for the first time, Mathmagic? It's been rocking my world for the last thirteen years!

Also, Felstaff, I'm not sure there'll be an audible click wrt Kid A. I like the album a lot, but nowhere as much as The Bends or Ok Computer. I guess I'm more of a rocker at heart. Loves me some guitars, I do!
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Return to “Music”