Radiothread

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirMustapha

Re: Radiothread

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Matching a few reverb tails and rhythms is one thing, cutting one of the best songs of their career from an album likely has more to it than that,

But if the "conspiracy" is right, then the song wouldn't even been there in the first place; why would they cut it out because they realised, ON THE LAST MINUTE, that the "meshing" wasn't working because of that one song? Cutting out a song like that makes much more sense if you think there is NO grand scheme of things in it, that the album only works in its own terms, and that they can add and remove songs whenever they see fit according to how they felt during that album's sessions.

Besides, Down Is the New Up is, in my opinion, one of the least interesting songs in the whole set, and I'm actually glad to know it was removed from the album! Last Flowers, 4 Minute Warning and Bangers + Mash are way superior.

TA67

Postby TA67 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:
TA67 wrote:I never got into Radiohead. I have no idea why...they just never stood out to me. I've tried, nothing's ever clicked. grr.

Well, there's a pill you have to take. Consult your physician. Worked wonders for all the rest of us here.

how much does this pill cost?

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

*walks into thread*

Is there any coherent consensus on rumours for the next album's release date?
Google throws up a load of "ZOMG IT'S NEARLY READY!?!" articles from at least a year ago, any news since?
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Besides, Down Is the New Up is, in my opinion, one of the least interesting songs in the whole set,

*Grabs Mustapha by the shoulders and shakes vigourously*

SNAP OUT OF IT! COME TO YOUR SENSES, SIR!

*Slaps Face*

We need you thinking straight if we're going to keep this thread going!
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:The "conspiracy" thing has a better name: Radioheadic Apophenia.

Really? It makes no sense. Those songs just don't go along. Tearing those two albums apart and "meshing" them together makes as much sense as doing it to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Obscured by Clouds. For one, a 10 SECOND CROSSFADE?? You gotta be kidding me. Also, the "countdown" at the end of Airbag marks EXACTLY the tempo of Paranoid Android, which is considerably slower than 15 Step. Bodysnatchers after Paranoid Android simply does not compute... and Weird Fishes in between Exit Music and Let Down?? Faust Arp in between Fitter, Happier and Electioneering?? Goddamn No Surprises inbetween House of Cards and Jigsaw Falling Into Place?? Wow, that's about as bad as playing The Wall with reversed order.

Hell, if you interleave it one-after-another, instead of having Karma Police + Fitter Happier be one song, the lyrics at the end of "The Tourist" (him dying) mesh perfectly with "Videotape" (him in the afterlife.)

That could make some sense, if not for two things: according to the "01 10" (wtf?!) theory, Videotape comes BEFORE The Tourist; also, the latter song has nothing to do with dying: Jonny Greenwood wrote it about tourists that, instead of actually walking around and feeling the environment of the city they're visiting, just rush around between the touristic points to "see it all in a day" and end up not knowing the city at all, hence "hey, man, slow down!".

Overall, it's a fact that, if you have a reasonable amount of dedicated people, they'll start drawing meaningless connections between ANYTHING. Maybe there definitely is something with the number 10 regarding In Rainbows, but it might be something else entirely, maybe just a silly joke after all, or even a practical joke on fans. Also, if the two albums are "so connected", what do you do with the bonus disc of In Rainbows, that one with 8 songs, hmmm?

Preface: It's not apophenia if the band themselves have referenced it. I'm not taking it as some kind of grand conspiracy; I couldn't think of a better word. There's repeated use of 10. That's factual. I dunno what you do with the bonus disc. Again, it's not some huge thing. I just find that the songs line up quite nicely.

-You gotta be listening to a different speed of Paranoid Android and a different 15 step than I. Or maybe your beep-beep-beeps are messed up. My version of Airbag matches 15 step's tempo perfectly, but that song has kind of a weird beat cause it's in 5/4.
-I dunno why you're just quoting song orders. I can do it too. Paranoid Android after Airbag? Who put Videotape at the end of In Rainbows? You gotta be shitting me.
-You cite what the band says about one song, but then don't cite that they admit there's a connection between albums. So I'll say that I look at the tourist as a guy, in a car, going way too fast, that dies in a car crash. Thus, you can put the album on repeat, and hey--airbag! Or, hey--he's at the pearly gates!
-I had no problems with no crossfade. I've also done it with a 10 second fade, and (to reinforce point 1) you never HEAR the beeps at the end of Airbag cause they line up with 15 steps. Also the reverb at the end of <i forget> segues into Nude quite nicely.

In complete disregard of point 3, I'm going to say that I think YOU think I'm saying it's some kind of concept album. I'm not. I never said that, except to say, rather offhandedly "hell, it even works..."--but note that I never said there's a logical story progression between Airbag>15 step>Paranoid Android>Bodysnatchers etc. I DID say, more than once I believe, that it's an order that sounds good. That's all I was trinna say. It's the best radiohead album, I said, cause it takes two good albums and makes them sound really nice together. I mean, if you lined up Kid A and the Bends, it might sound a little weird cause they're two kinda completely different albums, but OK Computer and In Rainbows line up surprisingly well for albums that launched (exactly) 10 years apart.

Ultimately I suppose I'm fueling this foolish fire by arguing about this, even though my overarching point is "Chillax, bro. Ain't a big deal. Wasn't trying to preach some kind of doctrine. Definitely just saying 'This is cool, you guys--but I'm also hella high while I'm typing this so everything is pretty awesome right now' (but maybe that last bit didn't come through textually)"
uhhhh fuck.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 am UTC

I think it was obvious SirMustafa was making a statement on the excitable brouha-ha surrounding the supposed '10 theory' by giving an equally ridiculous overreacting response to it. So it was ironic.

...Right?

I admit I'd never heard of the 'tenspiracy' thing until the cracked article, seeing as all the references made to it were blogged about it only ten days* after the album was released. Having lost all my music in the great mp3 fire of 2010, I haven't been able to listen for myself just yet, but I plan to have all my music back soon enough. It seems fun and interesting, what with all the references to 10 that appeared to be staring people in the face, but I kind of wanted to see if a little more could be discovered that still lay hidden. I mean it's not quite in the same vein as finding the little scary prophetic notebook behind the CD tray in Kid A (which I admit was exciting to find, but I didn't purchase Kid A until after Amnesiac, so references to 'Catch Da Mouse' weren't some kind of mystery to me--although the Hail to the Thief references were!) I guess I like the way Radiohead shroud themselves in symbols and mysteries, kinda like a Pink Floyd album cover.

*oh shhhhhhhiiii
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:59 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I think it was obvious SirMustafa was making a statement on the excitable brouha-ha surrounding the supposed '10 theory' by giving an equally ridiculous overreacting response to it. So it was ironic.

...Right?

Doubt it man. This guy thinks Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" is a bad song.

HE CAN'T HANDLE DA TROOOOOF. RADIOHEAD INVENTED 10! THEIR ALBUMS ARE ALL ONE HUGE ALBUM, LIKE PINK FLOYD IF YOU SYNC IT TO THE WIZARD OF OZ IF YOU'RE A FREEMASON!

TA67 wrote:
theGoldenCalf; wrote:
TA67 wrote:I never got into Radiohead. I have no idea why...they just never stood out to me. I've tried, nothing's ever clicked. grr.

Well, there's a pill you have to take. Consult your physician. Worked wonders for all the rest of us here.

how much does this pill cost?

the complete discography of radiohead is free on the internetz. I'd link it, but we have rules about that kind of activity around here. Or just youtube "live at prague", start at part 1 and go fo' broke.
uhhhh fuck.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:Ultimately I suppose I'm fueling this foolish fire by arguing about this, even though my overarching point is "Chillax, bro. Ain't a big deal. Wasn't trying to preach some kind of doctrine. Definitely just saying 'This is cool, you guys--but I'm also hella high while I'm typing this so everything is pretty awesome right now' (but maybe that last bit didn't come through textually)"

You can't say you wouldn't expect someone to follow the tracks and discover all the elitist bullshit people are willing to spew just to make their fandom smarter or more justified than simply enjoying a band. "Radiohead is a great band" is not enough, no sir! You have to believe that Thom Yorke is the FUCKING SECOND COMING OF THE MESSIAH and that the letters IO on the cover of the album are ultimate proof of a totally cool musical puzzle that is better than God. Gee, do people really NEED to come up with this crap and feel so excited about it? Just look at the whole Publius Enigma shit over Pink Floyd's The Division Bell! It's true that it was purposefully fueled by the record company, but the fans fell on it like ducks. And, as far as I know, it's still lingering on! That is why I said, and I repeat, that I'm scared of fans.

Radiohead writes songs that will only be released years later; they play certain songs in concerts for years before putting them on record (like happened with much of In Rainbows, innit?); they litter their artwork with drawings and loose words and lyrics; it's a FULL PLATE for people who are desperate for finding connections between anything. Hell, I could take the whole "number 10" thing and craft my own theory about it! And if you notice, those articles and blog posts only talking about the band mentioning there is a "riddle", something to be "figured out", but the band never officially said that's how the albums are linked, if they are at all. They could as well be making a joke at the public's expense. They are smart fellows.

Felstaff wrote:I think it was obvious SirMustafa was making a statement on the excitable brouha-ha surrounding the supposed '10 theory' by giving an equally ridiculous overreacting response to it. So it was ironic.

...Right?

Randall Munroe uses his comic to rant against things and people he dislikes (e.g. audiophiles, lol!) and people suck his "genius" dick. If I put my music rants in the form of comics with stick figures, will I get more credibility? Or will I end up with a cheaper copy of Questionable Content? :P

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

ITT: SirMustapha invents crazy people in his head, and then shouts at them.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Well, I could be drawing comics about them, instead!

... and could sell T-shirts and posters with them...

Hmm...

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

who here has actually sucked Randall Munroe's dick? And who here is rabidly foaming at the mouth because they lurvvve Thom Yorke and think he is Jeebus??

Chillax, dog. I recommend listening to a playlist that starts with Airbag and ends with Videotape to do so.
uhhhh fuck.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 am UTC

Midnight wrote:who here has actually sucked Randall Munroe's dick? And who here is rabidly foaming at the mouth because they lurvvve Thom Yorke and think he is Jeebus??

Okay, I completely messed up what I was trying to say before. I never intended to attack anyone here. The apeshit insane fans and their messed up theories about why and how their idols are gods and not human beings DO make me sad, but people who merely want to listen to the "alternate tracklist" and enjoy it are not in that group. I was needlessly aggressive and went overboard, and I'll just shut up about that for good.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:48 am UTC

"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

Fuck. Yes.

I got an email about it this morning, from a webmailing list I wasn't aware I was part of.

In other news, and 3 1/2 years too late, I finally got around to listening to the 10spiracy thingumy. I have to say it's quite interesting, and the songs complement each other well. The problem I have is that one of the reasons that OK Computer is the greatest album ever is the composition of the track listing, and separating the tracks is a bit like splitting the Godfather parts I and II and watching scenes from each one alternately, until both films are finished. Saying that, the songs flow well together, with the exception of Electioneering, which I don't think should have been part of OK Computer at all (I think they should have reworked Talk Show Host, as it would have been perfect prelude to Climbing Up the Walls). Electioneering is too Bends-y and not really in keeping with the feel of OK Computer, or even In Rainbows. Just chippin' in my too sense, there.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

I never had a problem with Electrioneering in OK Computer. I think it adds dynamics to the album, and I think that's extremely important; it's certainly less "at odds" with the album than We Walk is at odds with R.E.M.'s Murmur, and I've never... um, well, actually I have seen people complaining about that one too. I guess I just like things that break expectations.

And now I can't wait for the new album.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/DIGBP.htm

New. album.

Anyone else think that the artwork and album title seem reminiscent of the forest image for These Are My Twisted Words? It'll be interesting to see if that song and Harry Patch (In Memory Of) are at all representative of what the album's like. At 5m 30, those two were some of the longer songs Radiohead have done - according to the Japanese version of the website, there are only eight tracks on the album. Does this mean they're going for longer songs, I wonder? More multi-section songs like Paranoid Android, maybe?

Ah, speculation, without having heard a note! :mrgreen:

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Hell yeah!!! I cant wait till Saturday :) I'm hoping for something pretty ground-braking. And I haven't been disappointed yet...
The Great Hippo wrote:My dearest, most cherished friend, Paranoid__Android:
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...
Sincerely and with great fondness,
~The Great Hippo

Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:35 pm UTC

Various Varieties wrote: Does this mean they're going for longer songs, I wonder? More multi-section songs like Paranoid Android, maybe?

Ah, speculation, without having heard a note! :mrgreen:
It seems like there's a sort of main sequence for Alt Rock bands that involves a progression towards a jam band singularity. See Sonic Youth for the perfect example of this. Maybe Radiohead has hit some sort of critical mass and finally entered a jammier phase of its musical life. I don't think so, but it's definitely a possibility. Whatever direction Radiohead takes with this new album, however, I'm sure they'll make it work--they rarely disappoint.

(I should probably stop this post before I manage to pepper it with even more contrived astronomy references...)
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:48 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:Anyone else think that the artwork and album title seem reminiscent of the forest image for These Are My Twisted Words? It'll be interesting to see if that song and Harry Patch (In Memory Of) are at all representative of what the album's like. At 5m 30, those two were some of the longer songs Radiohead have done - according to the Japanese version of the website, there are only eight tracks on the album. Does this mean they're going for longer songs, I wonder? More multi-section songs like Paranoid Android, maybe?

The official site says the album will be released as two 10'' vinyl records. That would be two songs per side. It seems fair to think of an average length of 5 minutes per track; they've had a fair share of songs that long that weren't "jammy" or "multipart". Maybe it's simply going to be a more concise album.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:09 am UTC

Midnight wrote:who here has actually sucked Randall Munroe's dick?

Do you really want this question answered?

ALSO yay new album. To me Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows were 'just another Radiohead album' (after the bends->ok computer->kid a->amnesiac run set the bar way fuckin' high), which in itself is reason enough for 7 days of drunken celebration. I'll have no complaints if The King of Limbs turns out to be the same.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

Various Varieties wrote:Anyone else think that the artwork and album title seem reminiscent of the forest image for These Are My Twisted Words? It'll be interesting to see if that song and Harry Patch (In Memory Of) are at all representative of what the album's like.

I don't think so, because Twisted Words went out as a Thom Yorke record, and Harry Patch is basically a solo strings arrangement by Jonny Greenwood. All the Radiohead albums show far too much influence from the other members for those two to be representative. I think, anyway...

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 am UTC

It's coming.

Who's buying the vinyl edition? I'll probably shell out for .wav over .mp3, but definitely not going the full monty. I think my friend is, and he doesn't have a record player, so I WIN IT.

also: 8 songs only, but here's hoping for an 8-minute radiohead song e_E
uhhhh fuck.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

It's been released a day early, listening now :)

No 8 minute songs though, longest one is 5:15 and they seem to average (this is an estimate, not a calculation) at 4:30
Last edited by Robstickle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

I have to wait until I get home.

Suddenly: Frustration

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Some thoughts on King of Limbs:

I'm only on my second listen, and I already like it more than In Rainbows. Phillip Selway's drumming here is incredibly good, and the tracks where his beats feature most prominently are the album's standouts. The return to some more ambient/electronic influences is nice. Totally feeling a Burial-esque vibe on tracks like Feral. This definitely isn't Kid A 2.0, though--it's made to sink into the background while still clinging to your attention, I feel, paradoxic as that sounds. I can see this album having plenty of detractors who think it's boring or unimpressive or something for this reason. Whatever. I'm enjoying the hell out of this thing. Just wish it was longer...

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:57 am UTC

I heard the comparison that this is the Amnesiac to In Rainbows' Kid A.
I could agree with that sentiment. It's definitely In Rainbows/Hail to the Thief-y.

I think my favorite part of the album is Thom Yorke's voice. The production method, with what I assume is constant reverby layering of... everything... makes his voice incredibly smooth and ethereal. Same goes for a lot of the guitar tones and piano/synth tones.

-Codex is fucking amazing. The way the chords just swirl around, the way the horns come in and blend with his voice perfectly, the way that it gets the chords from "All I Need" for just a second. also, DAT PIANO TONE where there's like, such a smooth attack, and the sound (of the whole album, actually) is super dark and warm...
-Give Up The Ghost is also amazing. Almost a bayou feel for a second. I was like WHOAAAAA
-Separator is also fantastic. Everything about it.

Not going to lie, folks. My friends and I celebrate new album releases by doing drugs and putting albums on repeat, and going "whoa" occasionally.
WE WENT WHOA A LOT.
uhhhh fuck.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

I think I'll probably grow to like it, but it might take a while.

Here, I made some fan art:
Spoiler:

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:36 am UTC

First listen: sounds like a Thom Yorke album. It's a good thing. The electronica elements are more beat-music, especially Lotus Flower - made me think of Amon Tobin. Composing is more abstract and scattered than usual, needs much more attention to really get into. Lotus Flower and Codex are the highlights so far.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

In Rainbows to The King Of Limbs is the biggest creative leap of their career, eclipsing both The Bends to OK Computer and OK Computer to Kid A. This time around they've almost completely dispensed with standard rock music structures, phrasing and sound. People who couldn't hear the rock music in Kid A or OKC were deaf. People who can't hear the rock music in this are hearing correctly. OKC and KId A/Amnesiac were groundbreaking in terms of production and mixing, but The King Of Limbs is groundbreaking compositionally and formally. It is the work of a band with genuinely new ideas about how sound fits together to make music, and how different musics fit together to make songs. Almost all of the rhythm, cadence, melody and overall structure is new to me, and that can't be said of any of their previous work.

I'm seriously impressed by this album. I'm not yet thinking in terms of it being better or worse than other Radiohead releases as an album, but as a progression from what has come before it is beyond anything they've achieved before.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:09 am UTC

Eh I don't know if it's as massive a leap as you say. Cause it sounds Hail to the Thief-y/Amnesiac-y/Thom-Yorke-Solo-y. Which is by no means a bad thing. But the three-album arc from The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A is spectacular in scope, while Hail to the Thief to In Rainbows to the King of Limbs is a bit less grandiose/groundbreaking.
Which is not to say it's not a great album. But one of my favorite songs on the album, Codex, is reminscent of Pyramid Song and All I Need. It's not cuh-razy new. And Feral, a song I don't really like, sounds a bit... animal collective-y, which I don't really like.

But it's good.
Right now I'm thinking that Hail to the Thief > In Rainbows > OK Computer > Amnesiac = Kid A > the King of Limbs >>> the Bends >>> Pablo Honey.
But really that scale more looks like 10.0, 9.8, 9.7, 9.5, 9.5, 9.2, 8, 7.
uhhhh fuck.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 am UTC

Midnight wrote:Hail to the Thief > In Rainbows > OK Computer

You crazy, crazy man.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:36 am UTC

One thing this album definitely has in common with In Rainbows, Amnesiac, Kid A and OK Computer is that it took me a couple of listens to start to actually like it.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:02 am UTC

I'm going to have to agree with Dream here. Listening to In Rainbows, where every song is 4/4 (least, as far as I can tell), emphasis on 1st and 3rd beat, then going to TKoL, where half the songs are syncopated and they experiment with pretty much everything (especially MorningMrMagpie, where the emphasis is on the 2nd and 4th, though it is 4/4), they're really moving outwards from being the forefront in alt rock to getting a whole lot more experimental with the song structure. Not to say they haven't played around with that before, or that they're not innovative, but this time they've taken a whole new step.

Personally, I like it... quite a lot.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:33 am UTC

dedalus wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Dream here. Listening to In Rainbows, where every song is 4/4 (least, as far as I can tell), emphasis on 1st and 3rd beat, then going to TKoL, where half the songs are syncopated and they experiment with pretty much everything (especially MorningMrMagpie, where the emphasis is on the 2nd and 4th, though it is 4/4), they're really moving outwards from being the forefront in alt rock to getting a whole lot more experimental with the song structure. Not to say they haven't played around with that before, or that they're not innovative, but this time they've taken a whole new step.

Personally, I like it... quite a lot.

"15 Step" is in 5/4. And, as an aside, I don't know if I'd characterize Radiohead's fondness for irregular times signatures as a recent occurrence considering "Pyramid Song". (Although, I suppose it maybe hadn't been flaunted in the same manner.)

Does anyone else feel "Feral" skirts awfully close to songs off Burial's album, Untrue?

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 am UTC

Prefanity wrote:Does anyone else feel "Feral" skirts awfully close to songs off Burial's album, Untrue?
It definitely has the whole Burial/James Blake/-Insert (post-) dubstep artist here- feel about it, with the skittering beats and distorted vocal samples/snippets. It's way more minimalistic than anything I've heard Burial put out, though. "Feral" feels more like Radiohead's nod to dubstep in general, rather than any specific artist, I guess.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Radiohead doing odd signatures dates way back to Paranoid Android. I haven't heard the new album so I can't speak about its rhythms and polyrhythms and whatever, but In Rainbows did have some quite groovy stuff such as Reckoner and House of Cards.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:24 pm UTC

They're good songs, but nowhere near as off-beat as some of the stuff from TKoL.

Just to make it clear; this album isn't Radiohead's best - Ok Computer is definitely better, and I'd probably rate Hail to the Thief and Kid A above it. It's just a big step in a new direction. I'm kind of curious about where they'll go to from here.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 am UTC

dedalus wrote:They're good songs, but nowhere near as off-beat as some of the stuff from TKoL.

I'm pretty sure every song in tKoL is in 4/4, heh. Odd signatures aren't really new like Mustapha was saying.

Also, fuck critics. Hail to the Thief is the shit.
uhhhh fuck.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:09 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
dedalus wrote:They're good songs, but nowhere near as off-beat as some of the stuff from TKoL.

I'm pretty sure every song in tKoL is in 4/4, heh. Odd signatures aren't really new like Mustapha was saying.

What critics hated Hail to the Thief? I can only think of The Guardian, but they hate everything.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 am UTC

Prefanity wrote:
Midnight wrote:

What critics hated Hail to the Thief? I can only think of The Guardian, but they hate everything.

"fuck critics" is just a thing I say.
People rank HTTT as the worst of the post-bends stuff.
But I think it's one of the greatest albums they've come out with.
uhhhh fuck.

Return to “Music”