It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Prefanity

Re: Radiothread

Postby Prefanity » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:42 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
Prefanity wrote:
Midnight wrote:
dedalus wrote:They're good songs, but nowhere near as off-beat as some of the stuff from TKoL.

I'm pretty sure every song in tKoL is in 4/4, heh. Odd signatures aren't really new like Mustapha was saying.

Also, fuck critics. Hail to the Thief is the shit.

What critics hated Hail to the Thief? I can only think of The Guardian, but they hate everything.

"fuck critics" is just a thing I say.
People rank HTTT as the worst of the post-bends stuff.
But I think it's one of the greatest albums they've come out with.

I just don't know who these people might be. I suppose it's not important. (And I personally rated In Rainbows below Hail to the Thief. Despite the latter's rather bloated nature.)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

See? You called HTTT bloated.
And by "people" i mean, "when people on boards such as /mu/ make their Radiohead rankings, it's ususally blahblahblah > HTTT > The Bends > Pablo Honey"
Or at least, it was until tKoL came out.

Feral might be my least favorite Radiohead song. That, or Creep.
uhhhh fuck.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

I talked to some guys at a GSY!BE concert about TKOL and they said the whole thing is inconsequential, which is about the same feeling I have of it. When it was first released I immediately listened to the whole thing front to back at least twice and I didn't get the same feeling I got from any of their other albums. Not to say that it's bad, but it's not up to par with the rest of their albums.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

The King of Limbs feels like jazz. That's a good thing.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

OK Computer is the bets Radiohead album, and one of the best albums of the 90's. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I wasn't too keen on HTTT, Amnesiac or that stuff, but I thoroughly enjoyed In Rainbows, and I like their newest effort as well.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

Woland

Postby Woland » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

I'm not sure I quite get this whole ranking of Radiohead albums. I mean, as albums OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows are just so perfect and each song works well out of context. The rest could maybe do with a little editing, Amnesiac and The King of Limbs less so (like the person way above, Feral >:( ). But they're all mostly great.

Hail to the Thief is maybe kind of bloated... No wait, this feels wrong, There There, Myxomatosis and A Wolf at the Door make up for any slight imperfection.

The Bends is pretty good, with some touching lines and great guitar. Like there's a sincerity and introspection that is always good to return to when you don't feel like alienationalienationglobalisationalienation... Obviously Just with it's lack of real friends and deeds of its own doing doesn't quite count. (god that sounds so contrived...) But yeah, that kind of thing doesn't really reappear until In Rainbows.

I prefer to ignore Pablo Honey. Creep wasn't even my gateway drug, In Rainbows began my addiction. I remember my brother was playing the Eraser before I really got into Radiohead, and I used to shout at him to turn it off, "because the percussion sounds like scissors!"

But yeah. I like Radiohead. :)

Malus Rune

Postby Malus Rune » Sun May 08, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

Love Radiohead to death.

Just as personal preference, I'm more a fan of their rockier albums- three guitarists isn't a common idea but it can be used extremely well. At their peak (OK Computer and The Bends) they were more or less the perfect rock band- brilliant performance from all musicians, brilliant album organization, brilliant lyrics... *blissful sigh*

In order of preference, it probably goes OK Computer -> The Bends -> In Rainbows -> Hail to the Thief -> Kid A -> The King of Limbs = Pablo Honey -> Amnesiac.

I kinda think Pablo Honey gets a bit of a bad rep. It was certainly a lot dull than their later stuff but "You " and "Anyone Can Play Guitar" are awesome tracks, and "Creep" has a nice chorus. Although I didn't get introduced to the band through Creep- my girlfriend linked me electioneering a while back which was my first taste of them.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 am UTC

Amnesiac... the worst?

It's like Kid A but with more guitars! and you like the guitars!
uhhhh fuck.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon May 09, 2011 8:07 am UTC

Woland wrote:the percussion sounds like scissors!

Ha! That's quite true, come to think of it.

I agree with the King of Limbs feeling 'inconsequential'. The songs can be played on random, and it doesn't detract. Might be a bit Pink Floydian, but I sorta like albums that have an interpretive narrative, and playing the songs out of order would be like reading chapters in a book randomly. This doesn't feel the case with 'Limbs. It's more a showcase of songs they've been working on.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Malus Rune

Postby Malus Rune » Mon May 09, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Yeah, agreed on King of Limbs- although it was an interesting album. I'd like to see where they do go from here.

Midnight wrote:Amnesiac... the worst?

It's like Kid A but with more guitars! and you like the guitars!

My least favourite- I honestly love all of Radiohead's albums. The reason why Amnesiac comes at the bottom is that why yeah, stylistically it is more in-line with me than Kid A, it's a fairly soft, ambient sounding album regardless. I quite like my guitars to be a little more dramatic at least once or twice in the album. While it approached the Kid A idea in a way that was a bit better suited for me, it just wasn't as well made as Kid A- a little more unfocussed. But it's still a very good album. Radiohead has yet to produce a bad one.

Although that said, thinking about it, I could probably swap it with The King of Limbs.
Last edited by Malus Rune on Tue May 10, 2011 5:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Tue May 10, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

I like Pablo Honey, yeah it may be a little formulaic, but its still good music. It has a classic feel to it if that makes any sense. The Bends is awesome, and My Iron Lung and Just have great guitar parts. I've already spoken of my love for Ok Computer, I had it on while some friends were over the other day and they didn't like it. I was devastated. It's the best album of the 90's! They did lose me with Kid A and Amnesiac, to me they seemed like they went off in the deep end and it is what I refer to as Thom Yorke syndrome, the world thinks everything you make is gold, so you purposely do weird things just so they can't possibly like it, because deep down you hate fame. In the end, it still goes platinum though. In Rainbows is epic. TKOL though sounds like In Rainbows but less inspired. I listened to it, and haven't since. It's not that I didn't like it, but I just haven't gotten the urge to listen to it.

Malus Rune

Postby Malus Rune » Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

zmatt wrote: They did lose me with Kid A and Amnesiac, to me they seemed like they went off in the deep end and it is what I refer to as Thom Yorke syndrome, the world thinks everything you make is gold, so you purposely do weird things just so they can't possibly like it, because deep down you hate fame.

Methinks that- while I've never read Yorke's mind- it seems more likely that he'd felt he'd pushed conventional rock to the brink. With the exception of some of the works of Roger Waters/Pink Floyd, I've never heard a rock album that could contend with OK Computer. Unlike the Bends, which had a few flaws (didn't always communicate meaning perfectly, even if it still did it very well), there wasn't really anything about OK Computer that needed changing. I guess you could take another crack at doing something perfect, but it's not really going to be an advancement on the initial concept- just another lucky swing at making the lightning strike twice. A new approach was needed. Personally, electronica/krautrock wouldn't have been the approach I'd have gone for, but I didn't mind it at all- and props go to Radiohead for making an electronic-music album that I actually like, as I usually can't stand electronica.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Thu May 12, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Malus Rune wrote:
zmatt wrote: They did lose me with Kid A and Amnesiac, to me they seemed like they went off in the deep end and it is what I refer to as Thom Yorke syndrome, the world thinks everything you make is gold, so you purposely do weird things just so they can't possibly like it, because deep down you hate fame.

Methinks that- while I've never read Yorke's mind- it seems more likely that he'd felt he'd pushed conventional rock to the brink. With the exception of some of the works of Roger Waters/Pink Floyd, I've never heard a rock album that could contend with OK Computer. Unlike the Bends, which had a few flaws (didn't always communicate meaning perfectly, even if it still did it very well), there wasn't really anything about OK Computer that needed changing. I guess you could take another crack at doing something perfect, but it's not really going to be an advancement on the initial concept- just another lucky swing at making the lightning strike twice. A new approach was needed. Personally, electronica/krautrock wouldn't have been the approach I'd have gone for, but I didn't mind it at all- and props go to Radiohead for making an electronic-music album that I actually like, as I usually can't stand electronica.

To get where they are today it was probably necessary to do those albums. The end result with In Rainbows being an electronic/rock combination that breaks genre. I don't know how accurate my "Thom Yorke effect" is but he is known to hate the popularity of his music (especially creep) so I could see it happening. It's also something I would do in that situation and I like to project my own eccentricities onto others.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:37 am UTC

"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Malus Rune

Postby Malus Rune » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

Nice song, the dual drummers really bring a lot to it. And I must say, floppy hair rather suits Thom =P

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

Thom Yorke says there'll be a tour in 2012.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

djkjr
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Postby djkjr » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Thom Yorke says there'll be a tour in 2012.

Wait, what... Really!?
Where did you get this information?
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

djkjr wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:Thom Yorke says there'll be a tour in 2012.

Wait, what... Really!?
Where did you get this information?

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/44064-tho ... =pitchfork

djkjr

Postby djkjr » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm UTC

Delicious!! I saw them when they toured In Rainbows.

I don't know about you, but I was a pretty big fan of King of Limbs, aaaand all of the remixes that they posted on their official site of the album.
It'll definitely be interesting to see what imagery they go with this year, and how much of their old set they carry with them.
(from talking with other Radiohead fans who have seen multiple shows, they've had some repetitious displays in their shows)
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:30 am UTC

Anyone catch them on Colbert?

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

On March the 9th, 2008 I posted in this thread saying "Who?" (referring to Radiohead), you know, trying to be funny. I had never listened to the band then, other than Creep I suppose.
A few months ago I got a box full of cassettes with three Radiohead records in it: The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A. Yesterday I got around to listening to all three of them in order, with a brief break to eat sandwiches and make some tea.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about the songs in Kid A. I already learned Everything in its Right Place on piano. I'm already regretting not seeing them when they came in 2009. ):
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

luvnotwar

Postby luvnotwar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:36 am UTC

I don't understand why people get down on Amnesiac. It feels like a perfect summation of everything they'd been trying to do up to that point, much like In Rainbows, but scarier. It has that challenging electronic feel that Kid A has, but the songs are just better. With the exception of Hunting Bears and Revolving Doors, which feel more like sound experiments that still fit in well, every song is dynamite. None of their other albums have as many of my favorite songs. The album has serious flow, by which I mean the thematic transitions from song to song are so natural the whole thing feels shorter than it actually is. Musically, it's also one of their more, if not most, complex albums. In case you can't tell, it's my favorite, and if I see it at the bottom end of any more lists I'm going to blow a microchip.

djkjr

Postby djkjr » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

Sean Quixote wrote:Anyone catch them on Colbert?

Yea, I caught em'. I thought it was a little overhyped, and the Colbert kind of didn't know what to do. But seeing them perform again was pretty cool. I enjoyed it for what it was worth :)
ChocloManx wrote:I'm already regretting not seeing them when they came in 2009. ):

Yea man, they don't come around too often! Definitely something to see if you can get the chance again! Good to see another fan come out of the woodwork :p
luvnotwar wrote:...if I see it at the bottom end of any more lists I'm going to blow a microchip.

I daresay I speak for most Radiohead fans when I say that Pablo Honey is at the bottom of the list. Just sayin' :p
Amnesiac is an awesome album, and if I were to make a list, it would probably just be a collection of titled features as (first spot) with Pablo Honey in the second (last spot) lol
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 am UTC

i logged back in for the first time in months to say this:

saw em live. it was nothing short of incredible. i mean, ok, to be fair i was on lsd at the time so everything was nothing short of incredible, but Radiohead was in-fucking-credibly awesome.

i dug king of limbs a lot more after seeing the "king of limbs live in the basement" videos, by the way.
uhhhh fuck.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 04, 2016 2:35 pm UTC

I made an animated GIF from the video to the new song Burn the Witch.

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

I saw Radiohead at Lollapalooza in Berlin a few weeks ago. It's the first time I've seen them play since Earl's Court in 2003.

I haven't really been that impressed with their live renditions of Burn the Witch, which they've opened every show with so far, and this time was no different. I'd just had the most amazing fun time with Major Lazer on the stage next door, that I spent most of the song edging my way through the crowd to where I thought the rest of my friends were. I got pretty far forward! Didn't find them, so ended up sidling next to three black Dutch girls (according to them the only three black Dutch girls in the entire of Dutchlandia), who had an entire rucksack filled with those tiny bottles of Jim Beam you get on aeroplanes. They were happy to share. I was with a non-Radiohead fan, who was dragging his heels a little. It didn't convert him to the cause, but it never would, and I wasn't trying to get him to like them. I liked the set. They played Creep. They also played The Numbers, which has been my favourite song on the album. Jonny's string arrangements were replaced with Jonny on piano and Ed on guitar here, which worked in the way it doesn't for Burn the Witch, where Jonny 'bows' his guitar. I'd like to see them again in the future, where BtW doesn't take the opening spot, and is developed better for the live experience, which is what they do for nearly all their back catalogue.

Return to “Music”