Muse

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

une see
Is my girl

Muse

Postby une see » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Sorry, no witty title. Muse doesn't need one- it's that cool beans.

So. Muse! One of my favorite bands. In fact, I'm listening to "Invincible" right now. Black Holes and Revelations is probably my favorite album by Muse so far, although they're all pretty up there- except Showbiz. Not bad, certainly, but kind of weak compared to the other three. Um...I love Muse? Yeah?

Okay, I fail at thread-making. But at least I can end this post on an awesome note: Behold one of the greatest music videos of all time.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Aleril
Le Rail

Re: Muse

Postby Aleril » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:33 am UTC

Damn Ninja'd! I was JUST thinking about making a thread about this.

These guys are just AMAZING live and just an amazing band overall.

On albums:

1. Origin of Symmetry
2. Black Holes and Revelations
3. Absolution
4. Showbiz

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:41 am UTC

It's a cliche, but I prefer their earlier stuff. Origin is my favourite album, followed by Showbiz and Absolution. That said, Hysteria has one of the greatest riffs that's ever been written. I saw them a few years ago after Absolution was released and was dreadfully disappointed when they played it quite early in the set. I'd been hoping that they would play everything else, I would enjoy it while waiting eagerly, and then they would blow my mind with that superb bassline. As it was, the rest of the set was a slight anticlimax... but only a slight one!

The only slight gripe I have with them is that they seem to be moving more into intentionally epic stadium rock territory. Earlier on, that wasn't their focus. Now it seems like that's all they want to be known for. Knights Of Cydonia sounds like it was written to make everyone go "Oh my god, that's so EPIC".
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Well it is epic. Especially as an opener. (I saw them last August in Philadelphia. Read the "best concert you've been to" thread.) I love this band so much. Words cannot describe. I will provide my thoughts when I am coherent. (a bit tired at the moment).
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:18 am UTC

Muse are cool. More of a fan of thier first 2 albums (Origin of Symmetry = awesome sauce) then anything new though. I remember seeing them at T in The Park, hearing the opening riff of Plug In Baby and feeling insanely giddy.

cypherspace wrote:
The only slight gripe I have with them is that they seem to be moving more into intentionally epic stadium rock territory. Earlier on, that wasn't their focus. Now it seems like that's all they want to be known for. Knights Of Cydonia sounds like it was written to make everyone go "Oh my god, that's so EPIC".

That's what I think too. It seems to be their aim to be stadium gods and that seems a bit iffy to me, i.e, they may go the way of the doomed The Darkness. I have little hope of them player smaller venues anymore.
i dare you to take me on...

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Nah, they won't go the way of the Darkness - they're good :P
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:50 am UTC

A friend recommended Black Holes and Revelations to me the other day, so I bought it. I think I should listen to his recommendations more. :mrgreen:

I keep listening to Invincible and Knights of Cydonia over and over again. I don't think there's a bad song on the album (except maybe Assassin; it just seems a bit bland compared to the rest)

My friend's next recommendation is Absolution, so I think I'll be getting that next. He has earned my trust in such things.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:54 am UTC

Nah, get Origin of Symmetry. Absolution is OK, but OoS is way better.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote: (except maybe Assassin; it just seems a bit bland compared to the rest.

Really? That is actually the game my friend and I desperately want to play on Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:Nah, get Origin of Symmetry. Absolution is OK, but OoS is way better.

Absolution is more similar to Black Holes though. That's a bad thing for me, but possibly good for SlyReaper.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
no-genius wrote:Nah, get Origin of Symmetry. Absolution is OK, but OoS is way better.

Absolution is more similar to Black Holes though. That's a bad thing for me, but possibly good for SlyReaper.

Pah. Origin of Symmetry is more awesome. And I don't think Black Holes is that good, 'cause of the similarity to Absolution.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

Black Holes and Revelations was abit meh

However the last track on it, Knights of Cydonia is fantastic
One day something wity and original will appear here

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

+1 for Muse love, and +1 for Origin of Symmetry win as well.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

I used to be a much bigger fan than I am now, I remember buying Absolution off the iTunes Music Store back when it was still a pretty new thing.

That album is so heavily nostalgic for me that I can't even begin to properly judge it. I do think, though, that OoS is their best, and that Black Holes and Revelations is slightly below Absolution in terms of goodness. I would recommend all of them, though my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since then.

I think that Knights of Cydonia is a decent song, but not a good choice for Guitar Hero compared to, say, Hysteria. I also think that both Exo-Politics and Math of the Problematique are better tracks off BHaR.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I think that Knights of Cydonia is a decent song, but not a good choice for Guitar Hero compared to, say, Hysteria.

Oh god yes. Even Plug In Baby would be a better choice. *awaits Muse track pack*

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

I, for one, loved Black Holes and Revelations. But to each his/her own, I guess? My favorite album order would go like this:

1. Black Holes and Revelations
2. Origin of Symmetry
3. Absolution
4. Showbiz

And I think Jimmy Kane would actually be the best choice for Guitar Hero.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

I agree that Hysteria is one of my favorite things to come of a guitar. I think part of the reason why I love muse is because they are pretty well classically trained... their chord progressions make me happy in a non-powerchord kinda way. It is like eating delicious moist cake with my ears.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

Well, I finally bought absolution. Took me a couple of listens to warm up to it, but I'm really liking it now :mrgreen:

I guess the next one to get will be order of symmetry.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

The Q

Postby The Q » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:45 am UTC

I'm just discovering Muse, listening to Absolution right now. A lot of things suck...this is not one of them.

"Q"

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:35 am UTC

One thing that mystifies me is the comparisons to Radiohead (admittedly not as common anymore). Bellamy's got a bit of a Yorke-ish wail, and some of their slower songs could almost pass for Bends-era Radiohead material, but I still don't get it.

I love Black Holes for its immediacy (Hoodoo is amazing and Knights of Cydonia is heaps epic), but my choice to spin is usually Hullaballoo or Absolution (better songwriting on Absolution). Anybody else call the album "Blinking Lights and Other Revelations" after the Eels album by mistake?

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:One thing that mystifies me is the comparisons to Radiohead (admittedly not as common anymore). Bellamy's got a bit of a Yorke-ish wail, and some of their slower songs could almost pass for Bends-era Radiohead material, but I still don't get it.

Yeah, mainly it's the falsetto singing that brought (inaccurate) comparisons. You might, just about, be able to say that something like Just is similar to some early Muse, but the bands have diverged so much that they're almost nothing alike now.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:44 am UTC

... Am i the only one who liked Showbiz? Sunburn is my favorite song of theirs.
*waggles eyebrows*

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:... Am i the only one who liked Showbiz? Sunburn is my favorite song of theirs.

I loved Showbiz. I just think Origin's better.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Muse are pretty awesome, though I've got to say I'm not a huge fan of Origin of Symmetry. My order would perhaps go something like this:

1. Absolution
2. Black Holes & Revelations
3. Showbiz
4. Origin of Symmetry

If we were including Hullabaloo, I'd stick that last. It's not great.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

If we're placing qualitative values on these things now, I guess mine would go something like this:

1) Origin of Symmetry

Bliss is amazing, and I really like the chord progression and base line in Hyper Music.

2) Absolution

Stockholm Syndrome, just because of the wicked awesome drum part. Sing for Absolution (has the most awesome music video ever), and Hysteria is very good as well.

3) Black Holes and Revelations

My favorite track is, of course, Knights of Cydonia. Supermassive Black Hole just seemed too... gimmicky. Take a Bow is a pretty interesting song, and Starlight isn't bad.

I have not yet listened to Showbiz.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

I guess I'll jump on the "rate the album" bandwagon:

1.) Origin of Symmetry: Plug In Baby is probably my favourite song on this album, followed by Screenager

2.) Absolution: Stockholm Syndrome and Butterflies and Hurricanes are my favourites on Absolution.

3.) Black Holes & Revelations: Map of the Problematique followed by Assassin. Knights of Cydonia is good, but these songs are just so much better.

I haven't listened to Showbiz enough to rank it, but from what I've listened to so far, it will probably compete with Black Holes for 3rd spot.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:49 am UTC

hmmm

I have loved BHaR since acquiring, I think I'll give the others a try
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

Yes, Muse is quite awesome.

I actually had no idea who they were until my friend and I went to go see one of their concerts (he was already a huge fan). It was simply amazing.

I've been a huge fan ever since.

Black Holes and Revelations!

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

wow, this is pretty amazing.

glad I decided to grab more Muse.
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Just to piss over everyone else's rankings of the albums:

1) Origin Of Symmetry
2) Showbiz
3) Absolution
4) Black Holes and Revelations.

This is due to what I said earlier - their earlier stuff seems less contrived and more beautiful. I haven't heard anything like Sunburn or Unintended on their later albums, and New Born and Bliss still get me way more than something like Knights Of Cydonia or Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist, as much as I like them.

Zak

Postby Zak » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Sunburn is my favorite song :mrgreen:
*waggles eyebrows*

a386

Postby a386 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:19 am UTC

check out the xkcd group on lastfm, we all love the crap out of muse. i can't really put the albums in order because i dont know the songs by album but i can say i like their less-arena tracks more than their more-arena tracks. not to say i don't like cydonia i just like the rest better.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:52 am UTC

une see wrote: But at least I can end this post on an awesome note: Behold one of the greatest music videos of all time.

Holy spaghetti western, Batman. My only knowledge of Muse comes from the song Knights of Cydonia in GH III. When I heard the song, I thought to myself, "This sounds like the soundtrack to a Sergio Leone film. on acid!. AWESOME!"
I'm glad the video did not fail me in this regard. I loved all the little homages to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Now I need cash to pick up an album (or two.)
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

Bingo Little

Postby Bingo Little » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Absolution is probably my favourite album ever. Muse are my favourite of the current generation of bands, and I just think absolution has overall the most good tracks: only song I don't like is the small print.

Balrog Boogie

Postby Balrog Boogie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:00 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Just to piss over everyone else's rankings of the albums:

1) Origin Of Symmetry
2) Showbiz
3) Absolution
4) Black Holes and Revelations.

This is due to what I said earlier - their earlier stuff seems less contrived and more beautiful. I haven't heard anything like Sunburn or Unintended on their later albums, and New Born and Bliss still get me way more than something like Knights Of Cydonia or Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist, as much as I like them.

Seconded.
The piano/keyboard in 'Bliss' is amazing.
I have seen this band live at the Big Day Out in 2007, Matthew Bellamy's got the voice, alright.
Bash in my brain, and make me scream with pain,
Then kick me once again, and say we'll never part.

Quasar

Postby Quasar » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

Muse are one of my favourite modern bands, possibly one of my favourite bands ever...
Matt Bellamy is an amazing guitarist - I read an article likening him to a modern Hendrix, and I'm inclined to agree...

Knights of Cydonia is ace, I also love Hyper Music and Citizen Erased. Gotta get me some tickets to see these guys live sometime.
Originality is overrated.

Balrog Boogie

Postby Balrog Boogie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:45 am UTC

Woah there, I wouldn't call him the modern Hendrix.
He may be a skilled guitarist and a brilliant song writer, and singer, but I can assure you there are many other guitarists out there who are better.
Bash in my brain, and make me scream with pain,
Then kick me once again, and say we'll never part.

Quasar

Postby Quasar » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

In technical skill, yes. But in terms of interesting sounds and just being different, Bellamy wins the award every time.
Originality is overrated.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

Quasar wrote:In technical skill, yes. But in terms of interesting sounds and just being different, Bellamy wins the award every time.

QFT.

There are many guitarists that are skilled at playing the guitar, but Bellamy can bring a unique sound that is easily indentifiable.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:46 am UTC

Quasar wrote:In technical skill, yes. But in terms of interesting sounds and just being different, Bellamy wins the award every time.

Morello does, Matt himself would probably admit that.

anyone here on the muse board?
I've pitied you and plied your sails with air;
Gave blessing when you rose upon my breath.
And after all of this I am amazed,
That I am cursed far more than I am praised.

Return to “Music”