suggestions for jazz/blues bands?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sophie

suggestions for jazz/blues bands?

Postby Sophie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:31 am UTC

I'm trying to explore jazz and blues, but I have literally no clue at all, all I've heard is Hazmat Modine and two song of Bechet. Any good suggestions? (I like the harmonica and sax and tuba, and bands with those intrusments are therefore automatically more interesting.)

nyeguy

Re: suggestions for jazz/blues bands?

Postby nyeguy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

Charlie Parker is pretty awesome.

grant

Postby grant » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Well if you want good blues and Harmonica, there are a few must hear Dylan songs .

Leopard-skin-pill-box hat (from blonde on blonde)
Pledging My Time (from blonde on blonde)
Meet me in the morning (blood on the tracks)
Someday baby (Modern times)

Martin Scorcese presents the blues is a really good survey: see if a library has, its pretty expensive to buy. But there is a wide variety of blues, and from throughout the last 100 years or so. http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Scorsese-Presents-Blues-Musical/dp/B0000CBHOI

Robert Johnson is really interesting.

Also, I really like some blues tracks by the White stripes.
Death letter (from De Stijl)
but especially:
ball and biscuit (from Elephant)
and Instinct Blues (Get behind me Satan)

BatmanAoD

Postby BatmanAoD » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:33 am UTC

All right, here goes--

John Coltrane--well, everything he ever did, basically, but the album "Blue Trane" is a must for anyone at all interested in jazz. "Giant Steps" is also excellent.
Dave Brubeck--Take Five (and the rest of the "Time Out" album)
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
Miles Davis--lots of different stuff, but since you're just getting into jazz, I recommend the album "Kind of Blue," which is said to be "jazz for people who don't like jazz." Basically it's impossible not to like unless you're actually averse to any kind of jazz whatsoever.
Horace Silver--"Song for My Father"
Cedar Walton and McCoy Tyner are both amazing jazz pianists--try looking them up on youtube or Pandora.
Thelonius Monk revolutionized jazz piano technique and tonality, as did Art Tatum later--both are definitely worth listening to.
Charles Mingus
Herbie Hancock--"Watermelon Man" from "Maiden Voyage" (and in fact most of the other songs on that album) are pretty amazing--like "Kind of Blue," they're very accessible, but demonstrate excellent musicality (which is unsurprising given that Hancock worked with Davis quite a bit).
Jaco Pastorius--haven't actually heard that much of him yet, but I'm working on it. From what I've heard he was crazy but an amazing musician.
Victor Wooten--is there anything on the bass that he can't do? Just look on youtube for "wooten amazing grace." He's also the source of one of my favorite quotes--"Never sacrifice the beat to find a note."
V for Vendetta, the movie, paraphrasing Emma Goldman wrote:A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having.

Terror Island, Exit Music (google "keaner"), and Copper are all webcomics worth checking out.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Hazmat Modine kicks amazing amounts of ass.

As for Jazz, if you like sax, check out Stan Getz.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:49 am UTC

I haven't listened to much Jazz for a while now, which i should.. but when I did, I lived on Miles Davis and John Coltrane. You need to listen to these albums. As do I actually; its been way too long...

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Do you like big-band swing, or are you more into the laid back jazz? If you do like the big-band I suggest Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. They're a more recent, and pretty contemporary, so I find they're good segue bands.

Edit: I also wanted to add for more classic stuff you can't go wrong with anything by Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, and Benny Goodman.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Deep Thought

Postby Deep Thought » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Sweet! *steals BatmanAoD's list of artists*

And... to add to Allium's post, if you like laid back jazz, Gerry Mulligan (sax player), with just about anyone, is pretty awesome. I've only listened to two of his albums frequently, but I highly recommend both of them: one with Stan Getz (sax) and another Chet Baker (trumpet).

Wynton Marsalis (a trumpet god) plays everything he does amazingly, and thus he is put on the recommendation list. You can probably find him doing any sort of jazz...

rob insurgent

Postby rob insurgent » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

i don't listen to much blues recorded past 1950. i much much prefer the early sound. pre-war delta stuff tends to be my favorite.

muddy waters, specifically the chess box set. this might as well be the end all-be all of blues for me. download my favorite of his songs here
geeshie wiley, listen here. obscure and amazing
son house
leadbelly
elvie thomas

as for jazz, i stick to miles davis and john coltrane and random flying luttenbachers free jazz type stuff.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

I completely second Coltrane and Wynton Marsalis, they're both super-awesome.

As for blues, you can't go wrong with Howlin' Wolf and Seasick Steve.

fow

Postby fow » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:08 am UTC

I haven't seen them mentioned, so I'll go ahead and plug these two:

Ornette Coleman. Amazing, if you like stuff that's experimental at all. I highly recommend Tomorrow Is The Question and The Shape of Jazz to Come.

Gene Ammons. He doesn't do anything fancy or special, just plays terrific soulful sax. Probably my favorite musician. Anything by him is a winner.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

I advise against getting into free form jazz. Unless you like jamming sessions that sound like a.) the musicians know exactly what they're doing or b.) the musicians have no idea what they're doing. Usually it's hard to tell. Except the Art Ensemble of Chicago. They're cool.

Most of these jazzicians tries to disguise themselves as Avant Garde, but it does sound like a bunch of kids mucking about on various instruments. [/sweeping generalisation]

Also, yes. As above. Dave Brubeck - Take Five. Everyone loves that one. Some of the great Satchmo and Duke Ellington are safe bets for some great sax and orchestral jazz. Mr. Scruff - Get a Move On is pretty contemporary. Miles Davis' take on Porgy & Bess is a great jazzimation of the songs (It's flugelhorntastic!). George & Ira Gershwin's Summertime is pretty much covered by every jazz musician ever. So give that a search; It's such a wonderful song, there's not many jazzologists who can fuck it up. Also, Eva Cassidy does some passable folky blues with a jazzy tinge with Wade in the Water and Wayfaring Stranger. And, I know I'm a fanboy here, but Radiohead's Life in a Glasshouse at the end of Amnesiac is great trumpeting jazzoo with Humphrey Lyttelton.

If anyone lives in or near London, UK, There's a jazz night every Friday night in Camberwell, called the Crypt. It's under a church, and serves absinthe, which they light with a spoonful of sugar. So... the devil's music, and the devil's drink, all in the catacombs of a church? Sold!

Now as for blues... Hell, that's an endless list. Just start here and go with stuff you've heard of. Usually you've heard of it for a reason - it's awesupreme.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

someguy

Postby someguy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

BatmanAoD wrote:Charles Mingus

YES. Get Blues & Roots, there's no way anyone could not enjoy that album. Also a good way to get started with Mingus.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

From what I've heard, Brubeck is pretty awesome, especially blue rondo a la turk or something.

Also Jaco Pastorius' excellent band Weather Report and Dave Holland's band, can't remember the name. I saw them a few months ago and they blew my mind.

PS: John Scofield.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:35 am UTC

that's fifteen posts on a thread asking for suggestions about blues with no mention of Eric Clapton (or any of his bands), BB King, or the Allman Brothers.

WE COULD BE DOING A LOT BETTER HERE PEOPLE

Also, if you can find anything by the Red Devils, do so. They were going to be the nineties blues revival before their lead singer did a lot of cocaine and got shot. Speaking of the nineties, Blues Traveler isn't quite blues, but they were good

Aerosmith did a blues album four years ago that I like rather a lot. Honkin' on Bobo.

I'm not really much for Wynton Marsalis, but I'm in favor of Miles Davis. As far as another trumpet player goes, Dizzy Gilespe.

As for someone who's both, you can't go wrong with Ray Charles.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:59 am UTC

I think it's because blues is such a rumbling monolithic giant that has influence over, well, pretty much the entire latter half of the 20th century, people are focusing on the smaller, more manageable aspects of jazz. It's so much easier to recommend an artist here or there when it comes to jazz. Ask someone 'hey, how do I get into blues?' and you have a list as long as your average MySpace kid's "favorite bands" section, which can be less than helpful.

But yes, Clapton. Riding With the King, Slowhand.

Gary Larson's "Infamous Moments In Jazz"
11/Aug 1957 - Tito Puente loses the beat
03/Nov/1967 - Ella Fitzgerald hits a flat note
09/Sep/1948 - Dizzy Gillespie can't find Bb
14/Jul/1974 - Oscar Peterson forgets the chords for Body and Soul
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

taarnling

Postby taarnling » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Hot diggity dog!

I am constantly amazed at how often I find exactly the question that I was going to ask. Not only is it already asked here, but I've got a good start on some possible answers.

More specifically though, can anyone suggest some really good, really fast jazz? I tend to like extremely upbeat music. Breakneck would be a good word to describe the pace I like.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

Deep Thought wrote:And... to add to Allium's post, if you like laid back jazz, Gerry Mulligan (sax player), with just about anyone, is pretty awesome. I've only listened to two of his albums frequently, but I highly recommend both of them: one with Stan Getz (sax) and another Chet Baker (trumpet)..

good recommendation. Just heard some of his stuff today, and its' good.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Stevie Ray Vaughn is more of blues guitar minus the horn section.
Sonny Rollins-one of my fav sax players behind charlie parker
Tom Waits-kind of noveau blues
Cannonball Adderley

all good stuff IMO, and moost of the previous recommendations I wholeheartedly second.
To exist is to resist.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

I'll nth the Dave Brubeck* Quartet, and especially the Time Out album and even more especially Take 5. A must hear for everyone.

*Firefox's spell check recognized Brubeck. How cool is that?

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

BatmanAoD wrote:Miles Davis--lots of different stuff, but since you're just getting into jazz, I recommend the album "Kind of Blue," which is said to be "jazz for people who don't like jazz." Basically it's impossible not to like unless you're actually averse to any kind of jazz whatsoever.
(...)
Charles Mingus

someguy wrote:
BatmanAoD wrote:Charles Mingus

YES. Get Blues & Roots, there's no way anyone could not enjoy that album. Also a good way to get started with Mingus.

Yeah, I've heard Pithecanthropus Erectus and Mingus Ah Um and they were both pretty good.

I'm really into Miles Davis though, but since I'm into a lot of rock and funk I prefer stuff from his electric phase in the seventies. Anyone who's also into things like that (particularly rock of the prog variety) should check out the albums 'On The Corner', 'Live-Evil', 'Tribute To Jack Johnson' and 'Bitches Brew'.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Estradesphere.

This track may not exactly be considered high culture, but it scores well on awesome

someguy

Postby someguy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

taarnling wrote:More specifically though, can anyone suggest some really good, really fast jazz? I tend to like extremely upbeat music. Breakneck would be a good word to describe the pace I like.

John Coltrane's 'Countdown' (off Giant Steps) would be right up your alley, then.

Interesting tidbit: the rest of the band were actually supposed to play on it as well.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

taarnling

Postby taarnling » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

someguy wrote:John Coltrane's 'Countdown' (off Giant Steps) would be right up your alley, then.

Interesting tidbit: the rest of the band were actually supposed to play on it as well.

That's the ticket! Thanks.

BatmanAoD

Postby BatmanAoD » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Felstaff, the only free jazz I've heard was part of a single track from Coltrane's Interstellar Space album. It was pretty bizarre but awesome in a way.

As for rock/pop artists doing jazz, I like Pink Floyd, especially the sax solo on Shine On You Crazy Diamond (that whole album is excellent, but not in a jazzy way).
V for Vendetta, the movie, paraphrasing Emma Goldman wrote:A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having.

Terror Island, Exit Music (google "keaner"), and Copper are all webcomics worth checking out.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:40 am UTC

Along that thread, The Mars Volta are prone to awesome fits of jazz-spastic-ness.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

BatmanAoD wrote:Felstaff, the only free jazz I've heard was part of a single track from Coltrane's Interstellar Space album. It was pretty bizarre but awesome in a way.

As for rock/pop artists doing jazz, I like Pink Floyd, especially the sax solo on Shine On You Crazy Diamond (that whole album is excellent, but not in a jazzy way).

oh, definitely one of the best sax solo's in rock music (which is something i love). There is an amazing one (if sadly not very long) in Don't Hate Me, by Porcupine Tree.

aquatoad

Postby aquatoad » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Lots of great suggestions in this thread, I'd also like to toss in Medeski, Martin & Wood as a great jazz trio. While they don't have any of the instruments you're partial to in their regular line-up, they do incredible contemporary work while still retaining a very 'traditional' sounds. Some of their stuff tends to get a little too freeform/chatoic at times. You should also be able to find quite a bit of stuff from them online as they have a tape-friendly policy for gig recordings.
Lots of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to.
- Banksy

http://www.last.fm/user/aquatoad/

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

taarnling wrote:Hot diggity dog!

I am constantly amazed at how often I find exactly the question that I was going to ask. Not only is it already asked here, but I've got a good start on some possible answers.

More specifically though, can anyone suggest some really good, really fast jazz? I tend to like extremely upbeat music. Breakneck would be a good word to describe the pace I like.

Check out Arturo Sandoval. He did a lot of bebop earlier in his career and most latin music is fast and upbeat. He's arguably the best trumpet player on earth as well so if you have any appreciation for the instrument, his stuff is jaw dropping.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

jakkle

Postby jakkle » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

the neil cowley trio - dis-placed

won best album at the BBC jazz awards 2007. i think theyre mainly uk though...
geek love in its noblest form.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

One I just discovered recently (and by recently I meant shortly after I woke up a half-hour ago) was Melody Gardot. If you have iTunes you can download a single of her's, "Worrisome Heart," for free on their "Singles of the Week."

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Thanks for that one, will check it out.

I'd also recommend the Dudley Moore trio. It's very much light jazz, but quite fun.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:02 am UTC

At this point, it's like beating a dead horse, but "A Love Supreme", "Take Five", and "Kind of Blue" are fan-freaking-tastic. They were the ones I started with.
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Also, Bessie Smith.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 am UTC

More of a piano blues guy - Fats Waller

Two Sleepy People
Write Myself a Letter
Honeysucke Rose

I like 'em.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

For Vocal Jazz try the New York Voices, Ella Fitzgerald and Nat King Cole.

Fats Waller is a great piano player.

Sidney Bechet is really THE clarinetist (my instrument) but Artie Shaw is worth a look.

For good sax check out Stan Getz (the Joao Gilberto album is amazing), Johnny Hodges, Cannonball Adderly.

Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis is incredible, also his album Love Songs.

Herbie Hancock, Thelonious Monk, Keith Jarret or Bud Powell for more Jazz Piano

If you're looking for Free Jazz try checking out Art Landy. I went to a concert of his once. It was all way over my head.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

CaptainPerson

Postby CaptainPerson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:20 am UTC

Roy Hargrove, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Horace Silver...
The list just goes on and on
Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.
John Lubbock

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

Definitely James Morrison!

No, not the pop-artist. Trumpet jazz artist James Morrison: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Morr ... usician%29

I've noticed that people who are trying to get into the jazz genre generally like this from the start. For me it was the step to a lot more jazz when I was 12

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:37 am UTC

How about Duke Ellington's Such Sweet Thunder?

Return to “Music”