Punk Rock

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
SummerGlau
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Punk Rock

Postby SummerGlau » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Well, since the search feature returned all Daft Punk, I assume there is no punk topic. So time to start one.

How many people here like Punk Rock? Also, a clarification:

Punk rock IS NOT:
Fall Out Boy
Green Day
My Chemical Romance
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Anti-Flag
NOFX
AFI
Rancid
Misfits

Oh Well, you get the point.

Anyway, my favorite punk bands are: (Alphabetical order)

Adicts
Adverts
Automatics
Buzzcocks
CRASS
Eddie and the Hot Rods
Elvis Costello
Generation X
Guns on the Roof
Joy Division
Sex Pistols
Sham 69
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Clash
The Cure
The Exploited
The Toy Dolls
The Vibrators
X-Ray Spex
-Summer Glau


P.S. Don't forget to check out the next season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles this fall on FOX!

P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain.

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Punk Rock

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

I'm not too big into straight punk rock, though I'm a big fan of Joy Division. I tend to go for hardcore, post-hardcore, and metalcore (of the Converge, not As I Lay Dying, variety), which has diverged pretty heavily from the original genre. Emo bands (of the Sunny Day Real Estate, not Fall Out Boy variety) are probably the closest to pure punk rock that I listen to regularly, but even then there's a lot of stuff that is distinctively hardcore, rather than pure punk.

User avatar
1337geek
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Re: Punk Rock

Postby 1337geek » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

You can't have a punk topic without Patti Smith, so I'll go ahead and say it before someone else does. Personally, I can't stand her voice, though I do get a kick out of hearing "Space Monkey". It's not a very funny song, but the phrase "space monkey" is hilarious.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

User avatar
H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?
Posts: 2668
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:53 am UTC
Location: the other side of the other river

Re: Punk Rock

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:52 am UTC

'real punk' thread needs some Dead Kennedys.

User avatar
SummerGlau
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby SummerGlau » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:05 am UTC

The Dead Kennedys rock.
-Summer Glau


P.S. Don't forget to check out the next season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles this fall on FOX!

P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain.

GodShapedBullet
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby GodShapedBullet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 am UTC

If NOFX isn't punk, what are they?

I don't mean that as a challenge to your authority on punk, SummerGlau, I just want to know.

I'd also ask the same question about Rancid.

Anyway, besides those two bands which I thought were punk and are apparently not, I also am a big fan of The Vandals. I also love a few Bad Religion songs.

Are they punk? I hope so!

Also, is there a difference between "punk" and "punk rock"? And if there is, is there a difference between "punk rock" and "punk rock"?

User avatar
Jack.H
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 pm UTC
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Jack.H » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:44 am UTC

The line between genres is always gray, but I'd go with Bullet and question what NoFX and Rancid are if they're not punk.

That being said:

Propagandhi
Strike Anywhere
Bomb the Music Industry!
Ten Foot Pole
Smoke or Fire
SNFU
The Suicide Machines
7 Seconds

Among others... o_o

In other news, what makes music punk? I mean, aside from the sound. Discuss!
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Midnight » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:02 am UTC

depends on the greenday--i suppose it's more poppish punk--but ANYWAYS, CRASS wins at punk, pretty much.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
socynicalsohip
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 am UTC
Location: Satan's Layby

Re: Punk Rock

Postby socynicalsohip » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

Elvis Costello......Punk?

Can someone please explain the definition of Punk which includes Elvis Costello but excludes many contemparary pop-punk bands.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26508
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

To further add to the questioning - what are the Misfits then?

I also question any listing of the sort that doesn't include the Dead Milkmen.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:08 pm UTC
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

socynicalsohip wrote:Elvis Costello......Punk?

Can someone please explain the definition of Punk which includes Elvis Costello but excludes many contemparary pop-punk bands.


Elvis Costello is part of the movement of do-it-yourself, alienated, late-70s rock music. Yes, in the 80s he wrote poppy crap like Every Day I Write the Book and The Only Flame in Town, but he also wrote these lyrics, all throughout his career:

>"Sometimes I think that love is just a tumor/You've got to cut it out"-- Song: Lipstick Vogue, Album: This Year's Model
>(Directed at Margaret Thatcher)"When they finally put you in the ground/I'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down."--Song: Tramp The Dirt Down, Album: Spike
>"The radio is in the hands/ of such a lot of fools tryin' to/ anesthetize the way that you can feel."--Song: Radio Radio, Album: This Year's Model.
>"What do we care if the world is a joke/ We give it a big kiss, we give it a poke/ Death wears a big hat 'cos he's a big bloke/ We're only living this instant." Song: Tokyo Storm Warning, Album: Blood and Chocolate
>"Times are tough for English babies/ Send the army and the navy/ Beat up strangers who talk funny/ Take their greasy foreign money." Song: Sunday's Best, Album: Armed Forces (British Version)
>"Gangsters and world leaders/require the same protection from attack." Song: Radio Silence, Album: When I Was Cruel

So, yeah, he's punk.

User avatar
socynicalsohip
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 am UTC
Location: Satan's Layby

Re: Punk Rock

Postby socynicalsohip » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

Guy_At_A_Keyboard wrote:
socynicalsohip wrote:Elvis Costello......Punk?

Can someone please explain the definition of Punk which includes Elvis Costello but excludes many contemparary pop-punk bands.


Elvis Costello is part of the movement of do-it-yourself, alienated, late-70s rock music. Yes, in the 80s he wrote poppy crap like Every Day I Write the Book and The Only Flame in Town, but he also wrote these lyrics, all throughout his career:

>"Sometimes I think that love is just a tumor/You've got to cut it out"-- Song: Lipstick Vogue, Album: This Year's Model
>(Directed at Margaret Thatcher)"When they finally put you in the ground/I'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down."--Song: Tramp The Dirt Down, Album: Spike
>"The radio is in the hands/ of such a lot of fools tryin' to/ anesthetize the way that you can feel."--Song: Radio Radio, Album: This Year's Model.
>"What do we care if the world is a joke/ We give it a big kiss, we give it a poke/ Death wears a big hat 'cos he's a big bloke/ We're only living this instant." Song: Tokyo Storm Warning, Album: Blood and Chocolate
>"Times are tough for English babies/ Send the army and the navy/ Beat up strangers who talk funny/ Take their greasy foreign money." Song: Sunday's Best, Album: Armed Forces (British Version)
>"Gangsters and world leaders/require the same protection from attack." Song: Radio Silence, Album: When I Was Cruel

So, yeah, he's punk.


Thanks but I just wouldn't describe him nor his material as punk. I agree with you that one of the recurring themes in punk is alienation however in my opinion the defining theme of "true" punk is nonchalance. I would say that with much of Costellos earlier work their was a social agenda [even if it was countercultural in theme] which contradicts with the "WE DON'T CARE" ethos of "true" punk.

That said this view then excludes a fair few undisputed "punk" bands from the fray. Which I'm sure will annoy fan bois. Fuck em.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

GodShapedBullet
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby GodShapedBullet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

Also, how is NOFX not punk rock if this is.

User avatar
McCaber
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:35 am UTC
Location: Coyote
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby McCaber » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

Well, Green Day started out punk. They had two good albums before they turned up the suckitude.

But if punk is what we're talking about, we must at least mention the Ramones.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

User avatar
Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:08 pm UTC
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

socynicalsohip wrote:Thanks but I just wouldn't describe him nor his material as punk. I agree with you that one of the recurring themes in punk is alienation however in my opinion the defining theme of "true" punk is nonchalance. I would say that with much of Costellos earlier work their was a social agenda [even if it was countercultural in theme] which contradicts with the "WE DON'T CARE" ethos of "true" punk.

That said this view then excludes a fair few undisputed "punk" bands from the fray. Which I'm sure will annoy fan bois. Fuck em.


Well, I made my case. I disputed whether or not to say, "well, what about XYZ " for about the next fifty posts or if I should just drop it, and I think its pretty self-evident which one I chose.

User avatar
SummerGlau
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby SummerGlau » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Guy_At_A_Keyboard wrote:
socynicalsohip wrote:Elvis Costello......Punk?

Can someone please explain the definition of Punk which includes Elvis Costello but excludes many contemparary pop-punk bands.


Elvis Costello is part of the movement of do-it-yourself, alienated, late-70s rock music. Yes, in the 80s he wrote poppy crap like Every Day I Write the Book and The Only Flame in Town, but he also wrote these lyrics, all throughout his career:

>"Sometimes I think that love is just a tumor/You've got to cut it out"-- Song: Lipstick Vogue, Album: This Year's Model
>(Directed at Margaret Thatcher)"When they finally put you in the ground/I'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down."--Song: Tramp The Dirt Down, Album: Spike
>"The radio is in the hands/ of such a lot of fools tryin' to/ anesthetize the way that you can feel."--Song: Radio Radio, Album: This Year's Model.
>"What do we care if the world is a joke/ We give it a big kiss, we give it a poke/ Death wears a big hat 'cos he's a big bloke/ We're only living this instant." Song: Tokyo Storm Warning, Album: Blood and Chocolate
>"Times are tough for English babies/ Send the army and the navy/ Beat up strangers who talk funny/ Take their greasy foreign money." Song: Sunday's Best, Album: Armed Forces (British Version)
>"Gangsters and world leaders/require the same protection from attack." Song: Radio Silence, Album: When I Was Cruel

So, yeah, he's punk.



I less-then-three Armed Forces. Seriously, Olivers Army. I think Costello should have never done the Juliet letters though, it really wasn't that good.

But the "punk" you hear nowadays all sounds the same, theres no difference in the music, it's like listening to the same song over and over. With 70's punk you get a wide range of shit, like The Buzzcocks and Sham 69, CRASS was fucking amazing with their whole peace punk shit. Anyone can say "fuck the government" but these people fully support the government, they say "oh we wont sell out to any majority" but they do, they play the same shit as everyone else. These people don't have enough balls to stand by their beliefs, The Sex Pistols said fuck what the majority wants, you gotta play what you believe in, do what you believe in, these people have balls, they rejected the fucking Rock n' Roll hall of fame, Green Day would suck cock to get in there any day, along with every other shitty wannabe punk band. Also you cant forget the post-punk/gothic music like Joy Divison and Siouxsie and the Banshees, it's really the kind of music that defines punk. Okay?

Also, this topic is just about your favorite punk bands, not a debate on whats punk or not. You can put in Fall Out Boy if you want, but we'll all be laughing at you.
-Summer Glau


P.S. Don't forget to check out the next season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles this fall on FOX!

P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain.

GodShapedBullet
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby GodShapedBullet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

I don't necessarily want to start a debate about what punk is; I just wanted to know what genre my favorite bands were in. Especially Rancid. Is Rancid just a rock band? Are they "pop-punk"?

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

What about... Rise Against?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
existential_elevator
The awesomest one!
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am UTC
Location: The Ocean of Regret
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

The really hilarious thing about the Sex Pistols is that they were entirely manufactured.

But yeah, I'd like to see NOFX, Rancid, and the Misfits in that punk rock category. There's a bit more ska/pop influence in there, I suppose... but man, Danzig requires respect. End of.

Best thing about punk has got to be the energy. And a lot of the pop-punk that comes out now doesn't have it, and has gone quite "blah" really.

One band I've really re-discovered at the moment is Stiff Little Fingers.

User avatar
ChocloManx
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Santiago, Chile (nofewdjokezplz)
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:20 am UTC

Punk annoys me severly, but spanish punk makes me laugh, mostly 'cause of the lyrics.

It feels rancid, like, I dunno, Jehova's Witnesses, preaching about shit we've heard a million times.
And the music (I will call it music to avoid the flames) doesn't help. If you have angst, you don't have to take it out on my ears.

GRRR.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

User avatar
Benitosimies
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:39 am UTC

The Misfits rule.* My favorite is 'Horror Business'.









*with Danzig. Also yes I read the OP.
хлэб и Воля

User avatar
red artifice
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:07 am UTC

Re: Punk Rock

Postby red artifice » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:36 am UTC

socynicalsohip wrote:...contradicts with the "WE DON'T CARE" ethos of "true" punk.

That said this view then excludes a fair few undisputed "punk" bands from the fray. Which I'm sure will annoy fan bois. Fuck em.


We don't care? The Clash cared. think nonchalance is not the best definition. early punk was about getting away from the overproduced excess and back to 'rawer' sounds. elvis costello in the 80s went to new wave stuff, up there with Depeche mode. punk is also an ethos, the garage band stuff.

User avatar
proof_man
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:21 am UTC

Re: Punk Rock

Postby proof_man » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:39 am UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 12:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
socynicalsohip
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 am UTC
Location: Satan's Layby

Re: Punk Rock

Postby socynicalsohip » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:28 am UTC

red artifice wrote:We don't care? The Clash cared. think nonchalance is not the best definition..

Not so much on their first couple of singles but I catch your drift. It's also important to remember that the Clash were gigging since 1975 before their sound was even laid to wax in 1977 with White Riot. Unfortunatly I cannot vouch for their sound in these early years as I'm a child of the eighties but from my father's anecdotes [from which I've built many of my opinions] of the scene; I get the impression that the 'core crowd were not impressed when the band politicised. Obviously the mainstream definition of punk changed from '75 through to the 80's. Perhaps I just yearn to see/hear the bands as they should have been seen/heard instead of the tired old recordings we know and love.
red artifice wrote: early punk was about getting away from the overproduced excess

Indeed, hence Jonh Lydon's "I hate Pink Floyd" T-Shirt. What a legend.
red artifice wrote:....the garage band stuff.

Can't beleive no-one has mentioned MC5 or The Stooges yet!

EDIT: More

proof_man wrote:i think disgruntled working class kids in thatcherite britain banging on guitars and screaming because they couldn't get jobs

Do you mean Callaghan-ite?
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

User avatar
greycat
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:26 am UTC
Location: Great Southern Land
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby greycat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:48 am UTC

SummerGlau wrote:Punk rock IS NOT:

Anti-Flag


Can you explain to someone who's heard of Anti-Flag but never listened to them how they are not punk?
Nobody ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.

User avatar
proof_man
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:21 am UTC

Re: Punk Rock

Postby proof_man » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:20 am UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 12:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SummerGlau
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby SummerGlau » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:The really hilarious thing about the Sex Pistols is that they were entirely manufactured.

But yeah, I'd like to see NOFX, Rancid, and the Misfits in that punk rock category. There's a bit more ska/pop influence in there, I suppose... but man, Danzig requires respect. End of.

Best thing about punk has got to be the energy. And a lot of the pop-punk that comes out now doesn't have it, and has gone quite "blah" really.

One band I've really re-discovered at the moment is Stiff Little Fingers.


The Stiff Little Fingers are great, not my favorite but still good music.



red artifice wrote:
socynicalsohip wrote:...contradicts with the "WE DON'T CARE" ethos of "true" punk.

That said this view then excludes a fair few undisputed "punk" bands from the fray. Which I'm sure will annoy fan bois. Fuck em.


We don't care? The Clash cared. think nonchalance is not the best definition. early punk was about getting away from the overproduced excess and back to 'rawer' sounds. elvis costello in the 80s went to new wave stuff, up there with Depeche mode. punk is also an ethos, the garage band stuff.



Well, how can you say that The Clash cared when Strummer got arrested for spray-painting The Clashes name on walls. Also the new-wave stuff is pretty good, bands like The Cure and that shit.


socynicalsohip wrote:
red artifice wrote:We don't care? The Clash cared. think nonchalance is not the best definition..

Not so much on their first couple of singles but I catch your drift. It's also important to remember that the Clash were gigging since 1975 before their sound was even laid to wax in 1977 with White Riot. Unfortunatly I cannot vouch for their sound in these early years as I'm a child of the eighties but from my father's anecdotes [from which I've built many of my opinions] of the scene; I get the impression that the 'core crowd were not impressed when the band politicised. Obviously the mainstream definition of punk changed from '75 through to the 80's. Perhaps I just yearn to see/hear the bands as they should have been seen/heard instead of the tired old recordings we know and love.
red artifice wrote: early punk was about getting away from the overproduced excess

Indeed, hence Jonh Lydon's "I hate Pink Floyd" T-Shirt. What a legend.
red artifice wrote:....the garage band stuff.

Can't beleive no-one has mentioned MC5 or The Stooges yet!

EDIT: More

proof_man wrote:i think disgruntled working class kids in thatcherite britain banging on guitars and screaming because they couldn't get jobs

Do you mean Callaghan-ite?



I totally agree with you man, the Stooges rocked. Search and Destroy.
-Summer Glau


P.S. Don't forget to check out the next season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles this fall on FOX!

P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain.

User avatar
Semidi
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:19 am UTC
Location: Hovering over a word processor.

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Semidi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

I'm jumping into promote Black Flag* as I haven't seen them mentioned yet (I might have missed it). Also, The Stooges. I don't need to say more about them.

*With Henry Rollins.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

User avatar
lazarus89
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:22 am UTC
Location: God's Armpit, USA

Re: Punk Rock

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Oh, young people. You mention "real punk", and somehow leave out Black Flag.

I'll forgive you... this time. :)

Classic: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hFF7jzVfSB0 ("TV Party")
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

rob insurgent
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:47 pm UTC
Location: nc
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby rob insurgent » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

punk music is the best music. henry rollins ruined black flag. he made it macho and his aggro tough guy angst vocals get on my nerves. plus he's a huge asshole.

you guys should check out some more recent bands actually doing real punk things. to me, punk is equally about the intent and meaning of the music as it is about the sound. i disagree with a lot of the bands some of you listed (joy division?).

what i've been digging lately:

violent arrest
waco fuck
socialcide (my band is playing a show with them soon)
double negative
cold tony
fix my head
chronic seizure
WARKRIME


all time favorites:
misfits
agent orange
negative approach
confuse
MDC
DRI (early)
social unrest
the middle class

User avatar
Benitosimies
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Benitosimies » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:punk music is the best music. henry rollins ruined black flag. he made it macho and his aggro tough guy angst vocals get on my nerves. plus he's a huge asshole.


See that's one of the only things I think is cool in Popular* music, having some macho asshole-kind of strength (although it stops being fun around the point that it gets to Scheisse Minelli (still an alright band though), or in another way some of Coal Chamber's sort of stuff. That isn't really something to bring up in this thread though). That's just an opinion of mine I guess and not really worth having a conversation about but I find myself halfway through this post by now and I might as well finish it. :C

I also love Anti-Nowhere League because they too are gritty bastards and that is kind of My Thing**. Especially Nowhere Man, Streets of London, So What, Fat Bastards, and Out On The Wasteland. All are cool.

The Exploited is another one I like. Fuck The USA from the title sounded like an adolescent, pointless, poorly-crafted diatribe, but the thing is I like that song and it is fun, even though I'm aware that it is sort of ridiculous to be a guy who is like that.


*as opposed to Classical
**Everyone's got a Thing, don't you have a Thing?
хлэб и Воля

User avatar
Spadly
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:49 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Spadly » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

greycat wrote:
SummerGlau wrote:Punk rock IS NOT:

Anti-Flag


Can you explain to someone who's heard of Anti-Flag but never listened to them how they are not punk?


I think a lot of people hate Anti-Flag cuz they are signed to major label...they ARE punk rock, they're kicking against the pricks and all...it's just...they're doing it with lots of money...hmm.
"The problem with the future is that it keeps becoming the present."

User avatar
Daelin
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:53 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Canada
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Daelin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:41 am UTC

I'm not big into the punk rock... this confuses people, as I have a mohawk and shirts with offensive things on them.

But I like some Sex Pistols and Ramones every now and then. I'm a bit of a punk-noob, I guess. I'll probably go through this thread and listen to a bit of everything you guys have mentioned, later.

mackey
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:18 am UTC
Location: pittsburgh, pa
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby mackey » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:57 am UTC

on black flag- the pre-rollins stuff was probably more punk than the stuff with rollins, that being said they were always a hardcore punk band so if we're talking about just punk they don't exactly fit in

also, rob insurgent, i completely disagree with you about rollins ruining the band, he didn't make the band macho at all that was part of the LA hardcore scene and just the 80s hardcore scene in general (read the book American Hardcore if you don't believe me), i don't know how you can hate his vocals, they aren't that dissimilar from other punk vocals (one could argue that the whole aggro angst thing is central to punk as a genre, just read the lyrics to bloodstains by agent orange), and what is your justification for calling him a huge asshole, have you ever met him, watch some of his spoken word stuff, he's pretty funny and seems like a pretty cool guy

edit: i don't know if anyone picked up on this but I'm kind of a huge black flag fan

on joy division- they are post-punk, I'm a huge fan (Unknown Pleasures is one of my favorite albums of all times) but they're definitely not punk rock

on rancid- i would definitely classify at least their first three albums and Rancid(2000) as punk (those are the ones I own and have listened to), if you classify the clash as punk (which i do as does everyone else hopefully) then its kind of hard to exclude rancid, the influence of the clash kind of beats you over the head when you listen to them (personally i think that's a good thing)

about the sex pistols being manufactured- so were the ramones more or less (if i remember correctly they were basically the heartbreakers [not tom petty] 2.0), and i don't really think that matters, they were manufactured in the sense that malcolm mcclarren (i think that was his name) brought the musicians together but that was about the extent of their manufacturing

i don't really think the misfits are punk, more hardcore punk if anything, they are kind of hard to classify in my opinion (that doesn't mean that they aren't awesome)

that being said a couple of my favorites that aren't here are (sorry if i repeat any)
-descendents/all (might be more 80s hardcore punk)
-bad brains (definitely 80s hardcore)
-cock sparrer
-the damned
-dead boys (totally awesome, everyone should listen to them)
-gang of four (post-punk, amazing)
-honor role (hardcore punk)
-minor threat (even more hardcore punk, everything ian mackaye touches is awesome)
-naked raygun (highly recommended)
-stiff little fingers (classic punk)
-wire (they kick asses)

if you're a fan of rancid you might want to check out operation ivy, they're the ska-punk band tim armstrong and matt freeman were in before rancid

if you like joy division, the band Warsaw became joy division so yeah

also i would highly recommend fugazi to anyone reading this thread, they're post-hardcore, the song "waiting room" is quite good

one last thing, the compilation Faster and Louder: Volume 2 (i don't have volume one so i don't know how it is) is really good

rob insurgent
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:47 pm UTC
Location: nc
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby rob insurgent » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:44 am UTC

i call rollins an asshole cause of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3g4QPojMc

also, rollins joined black flag and started forcing the other bands to listen to different types of music and play differently. he was a militant hand in the band, and forced them down the dirgey metal road. some of the later stuff is almost unlistenable to me. keith morris was much better in the band.

i've read american hardcore.

as far as the lyrics to bloodstains, i didn't mean his lyrics. most of the good songs on damaged werent even written by rollins. i mean the tone of his voice and way he sings. it comes off less "i'm pissed" and more "i'm gonna kick your fuckin ass". compare the versions of gimme gimme gimme.

my bands covering a minor threat song at our show tomorrow nite 8)

User avatar
proof_man
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:21 am UTC

Re: Punk Rock

Postby proof_man » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:29 am UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 12:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26508
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:i call rollins an asshole cause of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3g4QPojMc


Asshole? That's interview's hilarious.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mackey
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:18 am UTC
Location: pittsburgh, pa
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby mackey » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:i call rollins an asshole cause of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3g4QPojMc

also, rollins joined black flag and started forcing the other bands to listen to different types of music and play differently. he was a militant hand in the band, and forced them down the dirgey metal road. some of the later stuff is almost unlistenable to me. keith morris was much better in the band.

i've read american hardcore.

as far as the lyrics to bloodstains, i didn't mean his lyrics. most of the good songs on damaged werent even written by rollins. i mean the tone of his voice and way he sings. it comes off less "i'm pissed" and more "i'm gonna kick your fuckin ass". compare the versions of gimme gimme gimme.

my bands covering a minor threat song at our show tomorrow nite 8)


i think that interview is pretty funny and yes he probably was an asshole but he was like 16, from what i can gather from the spoken word stuff he does now he seems pretty nice

i don't really know wether or not he forced other bands to listen to different music but i don't think he ruined black flag, he may have led the band in a more metal direction later on, but he more or less kept the band together, they had like 5 singers before rollins and everyone hated each other, i agree that the later more metal stuff is no where near as good but i really like the early rollins stuff

its a good book

i thought you meant his lyrics, i can see where you're coming from, he does have a different style of singing but i like it, thats just my personal opinion

minor threat is amazing, probably one of my favorite bands of all time, what song are you covering?

proof_man wrote:just curious, but do the minutemen count?


i think they do, they were part of the 80s hardcore scene though

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5401
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Punk Rock

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

how in god's green earth does a punk thread fail to include Bad Religion? Shame on all of you!

Also, NOFX, Green Day, and many others are punk ffs. Just becuase they're sucessful doesn't mean they loose the genre somehow. I HATE people who HATE mainstream music on principle. If you want to bitch about fallout boy or blink 182 or some crap then fine but stop shunning punk bands just because they're liked outside of your in-crowd!

My Top 5 favorite Punk Bands:
-Bad Religion
-Ignite
-Rise Against
-Green Day
-NOFX
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
existential_elevator
The awesomest one!
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am UTC
Location: The Ocean of Regret
Contact:

Re: Punk Rock

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Also, NOFX, Green Day, and many others are punk ffs. Just becuase they're sucessful doesn't mean they loose the genre somehow. I HATE people who HATE mainstream music on principle. If you want to bitch about fallout boy or blink 182 or some crap then fine but stop shunning punk bands just because they're liked outside of your in-crowd!


mmm, but they're arguably pop-punk, and the sound is a genre unto itself. We're talking punk rock, with real punk emotion. That genre of bands occasionally throws out something of worth - Sum41's Fat Lip, perchance - but if you sat it in a room with Sid Vicious it would be looking incredibly lame.

Another band - Anyone here like Melt-Banana? Worth it for pretty neat Japanese wierd-shit punk/noise rock


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests