Punk Rock

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Revek

Re: Punk Rock

Postby Revek » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Revek mentioned Millencollin (Mr. Clean is awesome), Pennywise, and The Dropkick Murphys. Great stuff. You a fan of Gutterball too?

I commend you on your taste in music, sir.

Can't say that I'm familiar with Gutterball. Guttermouth is pretty good though. That's kinda close. :lol:

Not sure if I can go along with the when/if they sold out definition for punk. I've had that argument about Korn. I think we can all agree that Korn is NOT a punk band....

Wait! I was gonna stay out of the whole "What is punk?" thing.... aww damnit.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds - Bob Marley

a_heavy_object

Postby a_heavy_object » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:17 am UTC

I hate bands nowadays that think they're punk but the sad truth is the're not...i'm not going to mention any names *cough* anti-flag *cough* green day *cough*

I still laugh at disney-channel types trying to be punk
new PETA ban record 8 minutes 23 seconds
art is a way to express anger
Raphael's hair is god tier

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Best Disney band ever = Suburban Legends

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

Revek wrote:
mosc wrote:Revek mentioned Millencollin (Mr. Clean is awesome), Pennywise, and The Dropkick Murphys. Great stuff. You a fan of Gutterball too?

I commend you on your taste in music, sir.

Can't say that I'm familiar with Gutterball. Guttermouth is pretty good though. That's kinda close. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

Not sure if I can go along with the when/if they sold out definition for punk. I've had that argument about Korn. I think we can all agree that Korn is NOT a punk band....

Wait! I was gonna stay out of the whole "What is punk?" thing.... aww damnit.

GutterMOUTH, yes. Dammit, I am embarrassed! Anyway, y'all need to stop what you're doing and listen to secure horizons. "gotta learn to diversify!"

Eh, I wasn't really trying to propose a real definition, just make a cynical comment. Course, punk is so cynical that maybe a cynical definition is the best kind? That's sad.

I don't care what anybody says though, there is a specific "punk" drum beat, guitar strumming, vocal style, and chord progression. 400 years from now, that'll be what they use to define punk. Furthermore on the subject of selling out, has anybody heard the Ignite song where they call out the FANS as being bigger sellouts than the bands? I thought it was very witty and accurate. I think the song is called "who sold out now?"
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Torben

Postby Torben » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

SummerGlau wrote:Punk rock IS NOT:
Fall Out Boy
Green Day
My Chemical Romance
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Anti-Flag
NOFX
AFI
Rancid
Misfits

I would agree with all of those, but I was dead certain Rancid are punk rock, or are they more new wave ska punk fusiony kind of thing?
1101010111111110001111001111111 - tell me if you get it...

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

rancid is just too awesome to be categorized.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

Any band that needs to be specifically listed as NOT punk, IS punk.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

blthree

Postby blthree » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:32 am UTC

this thread is great.

amen to whoever said cock sparrer and stiff little fingers... two of my favorites.
also some bands I don't think have been mentioned:

the undertones
the replacements(early albums)
the adolescents

Dantez

Postby Dantez » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:52 am UTC

And how about Casey Jones? Random concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHzBqGg4_Ig
And this, for me, is power of punk rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5JIOJoKitY
Spoiler:
How many Sol Badguys does it take to screw in a Lightbulb?
I dunno.
GUN FLAME!!!

Grim

Postby Grim » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

I only read the first page or so, but I'm pretty far into punk rock.
At least my idea of it.
I'm not really fond of the über-political, I'm-pissed-and-angsty-and-want-to-fuck-something-up kind of punk rock, most of that just ends up being noise anyway.
I see the best punk as emotion channeled through sound - often that can mean just a guy and his trusty acoustic yelling into a mic somewhere, not some soulless band making music to fit a scene or archetype.

That being said, I listen to a good bit of older emo (Get Up Kids, Knapsack, Jawbreaker), some folk-punk (Andrew Jackson Jihad and Defiance, Ohio), and a few other assorted bands like:
the Gaslight Anthem
Hot Water Music
the Weakerthans
Propagandhi
the Smiths
Streetlight Manifesto
Modern Life Is War
Fugazi
Descendents
Crime In Stereo

Revek

Postby Revek » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

mosc wrote:GutterMOUTH, yes. Dammit, I am embarrassed! Anyway, y'all need to stop what you're doing and listen to secure horizons. "gotta learn to diversify!"

Eh, I wasn't really trying to propose a real definition, just make a cynical comment. Course, punk is so cynical that maybe a cynical definition is the best kind? That's sad.

I don't care what anybody says though, there is a specific "punk" drum beat, guitar strumming, vocal style, and chord progression. 400 years from now, that'll be what they use to define punk. Furthermore on the subject of selling out, has anybody heard the Ignite song where they call out the FANS as being bigger sellouts than the bands? I thought it was very witty and accurate. I think the song is called "who sold out now?"

Good call with that Ignite song. "Constant complaining makes my ears ring, I care about hardcore but I hate the scene" My thoughts exactly.

If I was going to attempt any kind of classification of music it would definitely be on the basis of song structure like you were talking about. Pandora.com does this pretty well. Any song that has "punk roots" or even "punk influences" listed as part of its Pandora description should probably be considered a punk song. It may not be a good song and the band may not be what you would consider a punk band but the song is going to display certain characteristics that are prevalent in all punk music.

What people seem to get hung up on a lot of the time is that they want to disallow certain subgenres under the punk heading because they don't like the type of music. You don't have to like the style of punk for it to be punk. A lot of emo music, as much as I dislike it, is a form punk rock. So is pop punk, Oi, ska punk, hardcore, etc. It's kinda like how a Geo Metro is a car. It's a shitty car and I don't want to own one but it's still a damn car.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds - Bob Marley

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:13 am UTC

But what about punk cabaret?
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Return to “Music”